Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it worth getting Health Insurance?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭muloc

quickguide in IT today, may be of use. I can't post url as new

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

muloc wrote: »
    quickguide in IT today, may be of use. I can't post url as new

From the hand of Conor Pope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭bladespin

I'm 40 and have never had health insurance before (never needed it either tbh) but I guess the govt have finally stitched me up properly so I'm about to take the plunge, I do have a question or 2 so maybe someone could help:

My partner is below 34, like me she hasn't had insurance before, can I 'put' her on a policy at a later date, 1-2 years from now?
    I'm only looking for basic cover as I don't see the need, can I upgrade as I get older and possibly feel there may be more benefit in cover.
    The company I work for are proposing bringing in health insurance but not for some time yet (the deadline will pass), can I switch to their policy when it's in?
    Cheers.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

bladespin wrote: »
    My partner is below 34, like me she hasn't had insurance before, can I 'put' her on a policy at a later date, 1-2 years from now?

Yes, no problem.
    I'm only looking for basic cover as I don't see the need, can I upgrade as I get older and possibly feel there may be more benefit in cover.

Yes, but you may serve individual waiting periods for some of the increased benefits. These waiting periods are usually quite short.
    The company I work for are proposing bringing in health insurance but not for some time yet (the deadline will pass), can I switch to their policy when it's in?

Yes, in most cases your insurer will allow you to cancel mid-term for this reason. Technically you may have to wait until renewal before joining the company plan, but I've never seen that enforced.

You will have to pay Benefit in Kind on the company provided health insurance. The company may allow the premium to be paid directly to you if you want to stay on your current plan. In that case you need to apply directly to Revenue for a refund of the 20% Tax Relief at Source for the portion your employer is contributing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I didn't bother in the end.

Too many charges and levies introduced by FG and their business buddies.

Pension levy, USC, water charges, property tax, health insurance levy, insurance policy levies.

I expect the community rating to be totally reformed within 5 years anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I didn't bother in the end.

Too many charges and levies introduced by FG and their business buddies.

Pension levy, USC, water charges, property tax, health insurance levy, insurance policy levies.

Same as (for my wife)... will remember this 'gun to head' politics FG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭daheff

BarneyMc wrote: »
    My wife is 35 and has no health insurance. If she took out a €400 plan before the deadline just to get into the systems and avoid the levy and decided to upgrade to a €1,000 plan the next year and thereafter then she is in effect saving the 2% levy on the €1,000 plan every year which is just €20 a year. It would take 20 years to make up the €400 she spent on the first year to get into the system. Am I right in my calculations? I'm ignoring the fact that she'll also be getting cover for that first year although it would be limited.

maybe 20 years based off todays plan cost. Expect that plan cost to be higher in 4 or 5 years (so your 2% loading will be higher). Also expect that over time you will gravitate to a more expensive plan too (probably when you have less income -retirement) so your 2% would be a higher amount too.
    nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Expect away. I dont see it. I see us moving to a US style healthcare system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

daheff wrote: »
    Expect away. I dont see it. I see us moving to a US style healthcare system.
    Cos that works so well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 joneslouise119

VHI have great covers at the moment and half price for kids

• Advertisement
Advertisement