Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbitte caught in the Independent headlights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

When he says it will destroy Irish politics, what he actually means is that it will destroy the Irish political establishment.
    Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Rabbite i think will have to run in the next election if not labour haven't a hope getting a seat in DSW, ditto Brian Hayes he might be made come back from Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

For a change I agree with the the points that Rabbitte made in the link.

People like Paul Murphy will solve nothing, nor will an exceptional amount of independents.
    Plus I don't agree with a budget spending spree.

RobertKK wrote: »

People like Paul Murphy will solve nothing, nor will an exceptional amount of independents.

They might solve the phony manifesto problem to a certain extent. Independents don't have a whip to hide behind, they have to act in a way which their constituents are happy with or they're screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

The points Rabbitte made are to appease the elite, ie maintain the status quo that is the corrupt establishment. What has he himself ever actually solved.?
    Should we bring back Bertie.? or maybe make Lowry a minister again?
    Would thet "solve" things.?

In a nutshell, Rabbitte is only concerned about himself and his cronies, don't be fooled.;)

• Advertisement

washman3 wrote: »
    What has he himself ever actually solved.?

To be fair, he did manage to solve the conundrum about how to continue massively overpaying celebrity presenters at RTE with the universal broadcasting charge proposal. Isn't he great?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

washman3 wrote: »
    what has he himself ever actually solved.?

In a nutshell, Rabbitte is only concerned about himself and his cronies, don't be fooled.;)
    Rabbitte's best achievement is that denouncement of Pat Carey on Prime time.

Who's Pat Carey these days? I don't cre.

Mr Rabbitte as a start you are ignorant. To do that on Prime Time.

But you're cushdy and that is another notch for ya.

That's what I will say is faulty in Irish Politics.

I don't give a hoot how Pat Carey ends up.

Mr Rabbitte I have no respect for you. You're very cliquey as well as partial to a rant in the face of deskside opposition on current affairs television

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

He has a very short memory, I have no time for them ex sticky members who forget where they came from.

A disparate lot of independents will not be able to agree policy to form a government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

They might solve the phony manifesto problem to a certain extent. Independents don't have a whip to hide behind, they have to act in a way which their constituents are happy with or they're screwed.

The only country to operate without a whip system is the US which a result has allowed big business to buy each politician for the vote they want. Thus, they will vote for a big tax break for Apple while also voting for a small concession in their locality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

Godge wrote: »
    The only country to operate without a whip system is the US which a result has allowed big business to buy each politician for the vote they want. Thus, they will vote for a big tax break for Apple while also voting for a small concession in their locality.

US politics does not operate without a whip system. I don't know the ins and outs of it though.
    Both houses of Congress, the House of Representatives and Senate, have majority and minority whips. They in turn have subordinate "regional" whips. While members of Congress often vote along party lines, the influence of the whip is weaker than in the UK system.

Source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

The political system is in meltdown in the western world. Politicians have bankrupted nations through greed and stupidity. Independent is the way forward, nothing would get done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Well at least we have the pension reserve fund.... oh wait, Labour and FG spent a lot of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

US politics does not operate without a whip system. I don't know the ins and outs of it though.

The whip system is ineffective in the US. Democrats and Republicans regularly vote on the other side. Pork Barrel Politics is worse than over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

The unfunded pension mandate is €400 bn & climbing.

In the context of this thread, no party or indie has the grapes to mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Bring it on Pat, I just hope you live long enough to see your inexcusably large pension obliterated, might jog your memory as to the full impact of real hardship.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

To be fair to Pat Rabbitte he has a point. Most Independents are single issue candidates and they are doing National politics a disservice because once they are involved in decisions or discussions outside their area of interest they really are not contributing to the solution on the wider issues a national parliamentarian should be dealing with.

To balance this up all of our political parties have been coasting for years never actually facing down the real problems of Irish society and not being proactive in planning ahead for the actual needs of the country. The time is ripe for a party to form that is decoupled from the politics of the past, be it undue religious interference, the cronyism of the main parties and the violence of some of the others.

gandalf wrote: »
    To be fair to Pat Rabbitte he has a point. Most Independents are single issue candidates and they are doing National politics a disservice because once they are involved in decisions or discussions outside their area of interest they really are not contributing to the solution on the wider issues a national parliamentarian should be dealing with.

To balance this up all of our political parties have been coasting for years never actually facing down the real problems of Irish society and not being proactive in planning ahead for the actual needs of the country. The time is ripe for a party to form that is decoupled from the politics of the past, be it undue religious interference, the cronyism of the main parties and the violence of some of the others.

Idealistically you are right. But politics doesn't work that way. Politics is like a sponge, sponge your country and tax payers for what you can. Is it any wonder that the US has accumulated almost $18 trillion of debt? The likes of George Bush and his great party would like to blame independents for that sorry mess. Anyway, George need not worry.

Rightwing wrote: »
    Idealistically you are right. But politics doesn't work that way. Politics is like a sponge, sponge your country and tax payers for what you can. Is it any wonder that the US has accumulated almost $18 trillion of debt? The likes of George Bush and his great party would like to blame independents for that sorry mess. Anyway, George need not worry.

Obama has added the most debt, it was $9. something trillion when he took over.

• Advertisement

Obama has added the most debt, it was $9. something trillion when he took over.

Exactly, doesn't matter what party you vote for. They will cause economic carnage. Blaming independents will only fool the intellectually challenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Exactly, doesn't matter what party you vote for. They will cause economic carnage. Blaming independents will only fool the intellectually challenged.

You want to tell us the countries that operate successfully without a "political establishment"?

Independents are a frivolous luxury.

First Up wrote: »
    You want to tell us the countries that operate successfully without a "political establishment"?

Independents are a frivolous luxury.

Give me a ming flanagan over bertie ahern anyday. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

I'd rather neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

A few more Indies like Stephen Donnelly & the tarnished reputation of indie TDs may recover.

Doesn't answer the question

I'd rather neither.

I can agree with this, there are far too many of them. Most of them probably have no qualifications.

First Up wrote: »
    Doesn't answer the question

You didn't ask a question. ;)

A few more Indies like Stephen Donnelly & the tarnished reputation of indie TDs may recover.

It isn't about reputation. It's about having a government that can design and implement effective policies.
    A bunch of single issue candidates, or people elected on a "protest" platform are just background noise while the real work gets done by the grown ups.

• Advertisement

You didn't ask a question. ;)

I asked what countries operate successfully without a political establishment.

Advertisement