Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWII structures in Donegal

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

Wow, thank you very much. I have had a quick look and think I understand it.

Just to recap, the ruins are the site that McGinley talks about as the house to which the Spaniard was brought?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

yuloni wrote: »

That map is the one I put together and it's based on what I could find in aerial photographs. There are a couple missing because I have a few more to add. I've just been very busy.

You can check the numbers at http://lookoutpost.com/ which is based on the locations of the lookout posts rather than the signs although the signs were generally linked with one of the numbered lookout posts.

Most of the east coast signs appear to have been removed. More seem to have survived in Mayo and Donegal with a good few in Cork as well and an increasing number of them seem to be being restored.

What I also have is a scan of some of the original navigation maps showing the numbers. It will go up on the site the next time I sit down to do some updates.

I was told that the stones of the Eire sign at Dunmore Head LOP were lifted by the farmer as it was in a good hay field.

• Advertisement

Durnish wrote: »
    I was told that the stones of the Eire sign at Dunmore Head LOP were lifted by the farmer as it was in a good hay field.

This wouldn't surprise me. Anecdotally I know some stones were apparently used for walls and other stones were lifted because the land was good arable land.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

The last 2 missing EIRE signs are 73 Dunmore Head, and 79 Fanad Head. I've a request in with Military archives to see what they have, so hopefully will complete the map shortly. This has been and interesting journey from the start of this thread; learned a lot about the topic and it's great to see a keen interest and a resurrection of some of the signs. Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Is there a map showing all of them together?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

muckish wrote: »
    The last 2 missing EIRE signs are 73 Dunmore Head, and 79 Fanad Head. I've a request in with Military archives to see what they have, so hopefully will complete the map shortly. This has been and interesting journey from the start of this thread; learned a lot about the topic and it's great to see a keen interest and a resurrection of some of the signs. Thanks everyone.

I couldn't find either 73 or 79 the last couple of times I looked.

I updated my site and map with what I do have today though - so if there are a couple that you've located that I haven't yet found, I'd be grateful if you could let me know.

Hi, Happy New Year, anyone make the trek over to Malinbeg to check out the EIRE sign?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭iioklo

There is a great old black & white photograph of EIRE 71 at Teelin, in Father Browne's Donegal book (page.62).

During a Heritage Week walk on Lough ross Point we were shown an Eire sign, at the headland end of the road from the southern quay. The guides thought it may have been a. Do it yourself effort. It was much smaller than any others I have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Excellent thread, I've enjoyed the read through - thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭iioklo

Advertisement