Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaving Cert 2016/17 Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

VG31 wrote: »
    Lots of us seem to be doing the theory test soon (me included)! :)

I'm doing Maths, English, Irish, Physics, History, Applied Maths and Economics.

I kept telling myself I would do the test over the summer...it still hasn't happened :D and now it probably won't until October :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

I kept telling myself I would do the test over the summer...it still hasn't happened :D and now it probably won't until October :(

I recommend using this site http://quizglobal.com/ViewQuizByID.aspx?QuizID=161
    I paid €18 for the official DTT book but I didn't really end up using it. That site (while unofficial), has every question in the book and is free and very user friendly. If you sign up you can mark off the questions you find hard and redo them when you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 teafanatic

There's a really long wait (or at least there was when I booked) so if you wanted October you'd probably have to book it now

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

NOS3 wrote: »
    I'm back on the 2nd of September. Seems pretty late compared to previous years but I'll take it. :P

Did anyone do anything interesting over the summer?

I was just working, swimming and playing tennis.

Became a novice guitarist, did the theory test for the car, and went on a few day trips here and there with the family. Other than that, not much. First 2 months in particular drove me soft with boredom; I ended up spending at least 2 or 3 hours a day on the computer easily. Amazing how lazy you can get in a short space of time.
    Peregrine wrote: »
    *strolls in*

Hi o/

Hello \o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Do you have to be 17 to apply for a learners permit? If so i'll probs just do my theory next summer and apply for learners straight after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

Do you have to be 17 to apply for a learners permit?

Yes.

VG31 wrote: »
    I recommend using this site http://quizglobal.com/ViewQuizByID.aspx?QuizID=161
    I paid €18 for the official DTT book but I didn't really end up using it. That site (while unofficial), has every question in the book and is free and very user friendly. If you sign up you can mark off the questions you find hard and redo them when you want.

Oh okay thanks a million I will take a look :) my mam bought me the official DTT CD because my brother will be taking the test next summer (fingers crossed the edition doesn't change).

@teafanatic- Yeah, I really must book that test: I can't wait to start the actual lessons but for some reason my mind just refuses to think about the theory...

@teafanatic- Yeah, I really must book that test: I can't wait to start the actual lessons but for some reason my mind just refuses to think about the theory...

I can relate, I have it in a few days time and I haven't studied in about a month... oops

I find most of it quite boring and obvious but I wanted to get it out of the way since I won't have as much time in 5th year :P

Love doing lessons, they're great craic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭S_Hick12

Back on the 26th, doing English, Maths, Irish, French, Accounting, Art and Biology. Kinda glad to be going back, TY could get really boring some days. I'm sure I'll be sick of the place again within a few days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Manufan123

Does anyone plan on making notes as you go along in 5th year?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Manufan123 wrote: »

Making your own notes is a great way to consolidate learning. Much better than taking notes someone else made.

Yup i'm gonna be making the majority of my notes for LC in 5th year, so I won't be as stressed when studying in 6th year. A lot of work and time needed but it will be worth it!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Manufan123

Yup i'm gonna be making the majority of my notes for LC in 5th year, so I won't be as stressed when studying in 6th year. A lot of work and time needed but it will be worth it!!! :D
    What points are you hoping for? :')

Me :P I can't seem to learn from any teacher's notes, I find it's so much easier to understand when you make them yourself.

What points are you hoping for? :')

Still haven't set my foot down on what career path I want to go down, but I feel I am capable of achieving 550. Results of mid term/Christmas/Summer tests will be an indicator of where i'm at and what I need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

Starting back on the 26th.
    I'm doing the compulsory trio :rolleyes: with Accounting, Biology, German & Physics.
    Might do Applied Maths too - undecided on that.

I'm not sure what I want to do when I finish so no idea what points I'm aiming for.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Significant399

How does everyone feel about the new grading system for us? :o

I have mixed feelings about it- on the one hand, if it reduces random selection (which is really cruel on those who have the points for their course but miss out as a result of not having the luck of the draw), it's a good thing but anyone aiming for high enough points e.g. a mix of A1s and A2s are going to find it more of a challenge now to get these high points for their course due to A2s and B1s becoming H2s. I am still dubious as to whether it will take the heat out of the points race; all that I can see happening is people busting a gut trying to move from the middle of one grade bracket up to the bottom of the next grade bracket- much the same as they do now.

But sure, only time will tell how this is going to work out- I wish the Dept of Education would release some more information on how this is going to work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭padraigmck

Right now I'm thinking its a bad think because someone who gets 89% will get the same amount of points as someone who got 80%.
    But maybe in two years time I'll feel different if I am the person who gets 80% I'd be happy to get the same amount of points as someone who got 89%

• Registered Users Posts: 18 frans123

im kinda against it. i think it puts alot more pressure on students who generally perform well and less pressure on those who are satisfied by just passing

• Advertisement

Wary at best, I don't understand why they think it will reduce random selection. Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't it mean more people with the same points, therefore increasing random selection?
    In a provisional scale for the new system presented today, the maximum points awarded in a subject would be 120 for a H1, down 14, to 106, for the H2, then reducing to 13, for 93 for a H3, at 93, and reducing by 12 to 91 for a H3.

The points awarded are so random? The whole thing just seems convoluted and unnecessary imo.

Also, does anyone know what's happening about the extra 25 points for honours maths with the new system? Will it stay the same or change too?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

Eh, it has it's advantages and disadvantages. :P It's still being worked on, so hopefully they will iron out the kinks.

The part I'm looking forward to is seeing how colleges reduce the amount of courses. It could work out very well, and make it easier for us to pick one. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

I don't think it's going to make much difference. Only thing that I wonder about is this new craic about getting points for getting 30% in HL. This could have the effect of loads of students who aren't really capable of HL staying in HL classes, because they know they can get that 30% with ease.

There might be more dossers in hanging around in HL classes, which may affect students who are serious about working in class.

But then again people might still think they're better off moving to OL and getting a high grade there...I don't know.

Not that weaker students drag down the quality of a HL class. Shure I was chronic at HL Irish. The class was mostly made up of Gaeltacht natives who also had spent several summers at various Gaeltachts, and there was I watching TG4 in the evenings to try and catch up :o . I just don't think that having every Tom, Dick, and Harry doing HL will benefit anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

Feels so weird to be in the leaving cert forum! I am not looking forward to going back, have had such a fun summer and I know fifth year will be so much work :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Significant399

Yeah I also have mixed feelings about it. Especially don't like the way someone at 80 and 89 receive the same points. Dossers being in higher level classes also doesn't seem fair. I'm interested to find out more about how it'll work though, so I guess time will tell :)

Xgracie wrote: »
    Feels so weird to be in the leaving cert forum! I am not looking forward to going back, have had such a fun summer and I know fifth year will be so much work :(

I know what you mean :( this has been such an amazing year and summer and just the thoughts of all that work again kills me.

We all just have to wait for more information from the department in September
    Who's getting Junior Cert results in 21 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭masterofchess1

me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

@padraig @masterofchess
    Why did you two decide to skip TY and head straight into 5th year?

Because my school doesn't offer TY :'(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭masterofchess1

because I see it as a waste of time. I have much better things to do than laze around for a whole year doing barely anything and I don't feel that I actually need a break, because the jc wasn't really a challenge.That's my reason.

Advertisement