Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Annoying traits of radio presenters.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not a presenter, a regular guest on Pat Kenny's programme is some fella from the sciences (TCD or UCD) who guffaws at the beginning and/or middle and/or end of almost every sentence he utters. At this stage I think it's probably just as weird tic that doesn't happen once the red light goes off.

Luke o'neill is the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

bobbyss wrote: »
    Or 'three'.

West-MINISTER!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

crossman47 wrote: »
    Just saw this thread. The rugby commentator Michael Corcoran always says "the match referee" (what other ref is there?) and "at this moment in time" - just say now.

In most rugby games, the video referee.
    Why do presenters have to introduce Irish bands / Singers as "Coming up we have Irish music from ...The Coronas".

Is it done in any other country when they are introducing domestic acts?

Yes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

Sahurday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Pat Courtney and his hiLARious antics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

PJ & Jim! Jim's fake laugh at nearly everything PJ says, and PJ singing "hew de maaaannn?" anytime the Who The Man? jingle is on.

The thing is, both are grand when they are by themselves, i.e. PJ is harmless enough on the television, and Jim has always been a good presenter on the radio, and doing documentaries for TV3.

I don't listen to a huge amount of radio nowadays, but they are the only annoyances for me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,490 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

West-MINISTER!
    Sahurday

I haven't heard either of those. Who are the presenters?

Fergal D'Arcys fake accent

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

Fergal D'Arcys fake accent

Fergal D'Arcy. End of.

Annoying traits?

The poster boy for gimp cheap sh*te radio.

Fergal D'Arcy. End of.

Annoying traits?

The poster boy for gimp cheap sh*te radio.

I'm afraid I must agree, there is no substance to his abilities, way out of his depth on national radio, I think his talents lie in mindless afternoon nonsense on local radio targeting the 12-18 age range

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Pat Courtney thinking that saying "coalition" instead of "collision" is so funny when doing the traffic.

Same for calling it the 2.3 Arena

Actually I think it's just Pat Courtney in general who is annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

frash wrote: »
    Pat Courtney thinking that saying "coalition" instead of "collision" is so funny when doing the traffic.

Same for calling it the 2.3 Arena

Actually I think it's just Pat Courtney in general who is annoying

Over and Under :mad:

Station gets changed when Pat comes on. But then what do you have then on the other stations? Judy James and her relationship advice. Do stick on YouTube for some tunes at that stage.

Liam Coburn "Give me 7 days notice if you can"

Actually, I just dislike radio completely now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭johnire

He is absolutely dire. He’s a Hector clone going on in exactly the same cringeworthy way. And as for that stupid radio voice he puts on-what’s it all about?? And don’t get me started on his fake laugh!!

I'm afraid I must agree, there is no substance to his abilities, way out of his depth on national radio, I think his talents lie in mindless afternoon nonsense on local radio targeting the 12-18 age range

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

Kiwi Pet Courtenay and his fake accent? Pet is one of the many ex-crew pirates who sailed the choppy airwaves of yesteryear. Many drew from the Tony Blackburn acme radio supplies line and produced the archetypal 70's, 80's cheesy radio sound with whistles and bells (literally). Society generally has evolved from those sheltered days. Pet still believed I assume that having had his voice briefly heard on Roddy Doyle's The Van and his stint on brekkie on 98fm in the early 90's would leave a lasting legacy. However alas he was shunted off Nova breakfast as it was excruciatingly bad. It hadn't evolved. Nor has he. Pet now has crash bang wallop inserts on traffic updates which is highly dubious owing to the prevalence of road deaths nowadays! Along with ancient Simpsons inserts, no longer heard anywhere in the English speaking world for over 20 years, and a plethora of other strange, unusual pointlessness amid the often indiscreet innuendo its annoying trait fm.

johnire wrote: »
    He is absolutely dire. He’s a Hector clone going on in exactly the same cringeworthy way. And as for that stupid radio voice he puts on-what’s it all about?? And don’t get me started on his fake laugh!!

Yes cringe is a good word for it, his show reeks of cheap, in fairness to the chap when he was on iradio he had very limited resources so in that position you have to resort to cheap nonsense talk but with the resources at his disposal in todayfm, production team etc, he just cant step up to the plate... fake radio voice, fake laugh and everybody is his "good friend"

Dont get me started on Hector, fake as they make them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

West-MINISTER!

This.

I don't think many if any presenters actually say this but lots of guests/contributors do and the presenters never pull them up on it. Pearse Doherty is one and I'm pretty sure Darragh O'Brien FF is another.

It was a radio disaster around the time of the WestminIster attacks !

Just make sure that those who are careful not to add a second "I", also remember to pronounce both "T's". Otherwise it comes out as Wessminster.

I admire people with ears like a hawk, who can pick up on such minutiae.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    Guests/contributors do and the presenters never pull them up on it. Pearse Doherty is one and I'm pretty sure Darragh O'Brien FF is another.!

I don't think setting about "correcting" other contributors on their speech would go down especially well with the audience. And worse with the recipients! Doubly so with SF reps, who customarily are working from their own Republican Style Guide, and if you say otherwise, will tell you it's West Brit Partitionist Thinking.

Oddly enough, there was something like this on the radio today... twice! First Sean Moncrieff said "thematic", and then his current TV person "corrected" him to say "theematic". (I've never heard anyone say "theematic" in my life.) Then Yates and some minion were squabbling about how to say "reprise". (I confess I can't recall who said which, or that I managed to care at all about that one.)

I blame the heat, and the silly season.

frash wrote: »

One of the subcontractors on the telly news tonight, seeking to "repossess" stuff they'd supplied to schools built by the bust builder, kept saying they'd need to "recuperate their losses". Don't think he was intending to be funny, mind you...

That usage of recuperate is fine. Recoup would be more common, but both are good.

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/recuperate

To recuperate is to get something back that you have lost — could be good health, or money lost in a bad investment. When you recuperate, you heal and recover.

• Advertisement

Another one for the malaprop file: on RTER1 this morning, "that changed the complexity of the game".

That usage of recuperate is fine. Recoup would be more common, but both are good.

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/recuperate

To recuperate is to get something back that you have lost — could be good health, or money lost in a bad investment. When you recuperate, you heal and recover.

Sadly, the OED agrees with you, too. Don't think I've ever heard it used transitively before. Now I'm wondering if that's a rare usage of long-standing, or a more recent one that's started creeping in when I wasn't looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Kiwi Pet Courtenay and his fake accent? Pet is one of the many ex-crew pirates who sailed the choppy airwaves of yesteryear. Many drew from the Tony Blackburn acme radio supplies line and produced the archetypal 70's, 80's cheesy radio sound with whistles and bells (literally). Society generally has evolved from those sheltered days. Pet still believed I assume that having had his voice briefly heard on Roddy Doyle's The Van and his stint on brekkie on 98fm in the early 90's would leave a lasting legacy. However alas he was shunted off Nova breakfast as it was excruciatingly bad. It hadn't evolved. Nor has he. Pet now has crash bang wallop inserts on traffic updates which is highly dubious owing to the prevalence of road deaths nowadays! Along with ancient Simpsons inserts, no longer heard anywhere in the English speaking world for over 20 years, and a plethora of other strange, unusual pointlessness amid the often indiscreet innuendo its annoying trait fm.

Sadly this is exactly what Branigan/Hayes want ..an 80's pop-tastic zany station akin to the original Nova..which was exactly that....grow up lads....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Not unlike the whole desperate "let's pretend it's 1979 and there's no internet" so the presenter has to ask listeners for advice on how to tie their shoelaces. And the bait works!!

C,mon, who designs this stupidity, just play some not completely shïte music.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭bot43

Nicky Byrne and his “Lottie of the Ryan’s” etc. Does my head in.

Dermot and Daves pretending to find each other funny and the fake laughter that goes with that.

Fergal Darcy putting on a hard culchie accent. He is easily the worst radio presenter I have ever listened to. An absolute mystery how his ratings are not zero.

Dave Fanning.

This is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Dave Fanning.

This is all.

Just heard him speed reading through some light news article he clearly couldn’t be bothered with at light speed. Had to turn him on.

bot43 wrote: »
    Nicky Byrne and his “Lottie of the Ryan’s” etc. Does my head in.

Dermot and Daves pretending to find each other funny and the fake laughter that goes with that.

Fergal Darcy putting on a hard culchie accent. He is easily the worst radio presenter I have ever listened to. An absolute mystery how his ratings are not zero.

I like D&D but i totally agree, Dave in particular really over does the fake laughter

Yes, D'Arcys show is just desperate radio, i think he brought his listenership from iradio where he was on at the same time slot, he built up a cult following of west of ireland 15-25 year olds who deem him "good craic". He did the dj circuit all over the west and this got his name out there with that age range and he made himself appear accessible and in fairness it appears to have worked for him and he brought that listenership across to todayfm

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Neil Prendiviile. Just the fact that he exists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Radio5

Sean Rocks on Arena. There was a guest on last Thursday reviewing shows at the Galway Arts Festival. I'd say she hardly got through a sentence without being interrupted. Must be in the RTE book of instructions.

Advertisement