Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin v Donegal Sunday 31 August AI semifinal Mod Warning Posts #392 #541

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

not worth the trek
    you should go up to the game be nice for you to see what croke park looks like this time of year :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 mickoftheglens

martyo wrote: »
    you should go up to the game be nice for you to see what croke park looks like this time of year :P

but i'm going to the yank football you see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

We should have a starting 15 in the next hour or so. 43.5 hours to go...getting jittery now!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭HooohRaaah

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 mickoftheglens

I've changed my mind since hearing that poem, I'm supporting Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I've changed my mind since hearing that poem, I'm supporting Donegal

So have i and i'm from Dublin:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

He nearly has the accent off to a T from his stint on love hate .. aul Mr Brennan ah jaysis .. didn't think we bothered with that camaille stuff :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Oh dear, stick to the Fran stuff Fran.

Anyway, more to the point here's the Dublin team for Sunday;

Stephen Cluxton; Michael Fitzsimons, Rory O'Carroll, Philly McMahon; James McCarthy, Jonny Cooper, Nicky Devereux; Michael Darragh Macauley, Cian O'Sullivan; Paul Flynn, Kevin McManamon, Diarmuid Connolly; Alan Brogan, Eoghan O'Gara, Bernard Brogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    I think Nidge summed it up nicely Fr but you really ought to get that chip off your shoulder. Last year your boys gave our lads a lesson in Croke Park but the Mayo fans around us lacked any class after. Usually when All Ireland winners are beaten the following year they are given some respect for that but not last year. Despite all the gloating and completely over the top celebrating from them at winning a quarter final, we still wished them well and sincerely meant it as most Donegal fans would love to see Mayo win an All Ireland (so long as it's not against Donegal obviously!). You obviously don't understand the Donegal sense of humour if you think they go around thinking we're the greatest thing since Kerry and you clearly don't actually watch teams play but rather buy into soundbites or else you would see that Mayo playing to their strengths and playing their running game are very similar to Donegal in terms of style. Both teams get men behind the ball and break out in numbers by running at the opposition but hey you keep believing that Donegal are anti football and Mayo are very different.
    Wouldnt waste your time on this sort of clown. I think alot of these Mayo people just cant accept the fact that Donegal beat them in the final- they could accept flopping regularly against Kerry but when they little old Donegal winning all irelands at their expense was too much to bear.

I remember the 2012 all ireland final thread beforehand he was obsessed about people in Donegal being overconfident and rows over the homecoming just so he could come on afterwrds to gloat about it, of course afterwards he didnt even have the balls to come on and congratulate Donegal.

Agree about the moronic behaviour of alot, not all of the Mayo supporters at the qf last year; and sure we ve all heard them bangin on about "sure if it wasnt for the first ten minutes we woulda beat Donegal" nonsense.

But like yourself, despite the lack of class then and of this specimin Id still support Mayo if theyre playin Dublin in the final. Most of them are top people,includin the old man!!Suppose some of us have a bit o "breedin" as they say

(ill probably get a ban now from some mayo mod!!:))

DoctaDee wrote: »
    THAT semi final in 2011; intriguing, enthralling ?, well yeah to the same degree as you rubberneck a car crash. Mickey Whelan spoke of the Dubs preparation for the game, playing countless practice matches with a packed defence - even 18 v 15 aside. Jim Mc confiscated mobile phones as the war room readied battle stations. What unfolded was outside the scope of anything that Dublin had reasonably prepared for - frustration was evident both on the field and in the stands. I thought that particular atmosphere served as an advantage to Donegal.

Fast forward 3 years and that intervening period has served as a great learning period to others on the facets of the defensive game. Flynner now speaks the mantra of "Patience" as the 1st step in approaching the match. Past30Now alluded to the post I had regarding the Dublin planning for this defensive system. It has been 8 months of refinement - but this is not being dismissive of games upto the Monaghan match either as the style of play was suited to all eventualities. It's not rocket science, moving the ball quickly with committed numbers, isolating 2v1 situations with runners off the shoulder and the ball being moved quickly thru the hands. Dublins advantage is they can do it quicker than most (with the possible exception of Kerry), but tellingly they can do it for longer than everybody.

Dublin have replicated the Donegal defensive system as a well coached philosophy in AvB practice games - but to my mind there's no way Donegal can mirror the Dublin way of playing.

Things have gone very quiet on the Dublin front - I'd spoken with a few of the players prior to the Monaghan game and might have picked up a snippet or 2 of info elsewhere, but have heard nothing. But make no mistake about it, this is the match they've had in their crosshairs all season
    Thats what Im worried about as Donegal supporter- people have been talking all year and before that that the 1 team that could stop dublin were Donegal and that along with the 2011 saga means that they really want to lay down a marker and put the whole Donegal thing to bed. Given that theyve been winning games by 16 points its a scary thought what they might do with apoint to prove!!

Whatever chance Donegal in 2012 form would have I think the current team are a long way off Dublins level. We genuinely are just hoping(the supporters,im sure the team are only thinking of winning) to stay competitive as long as possible.

• Advertisement

Tyrone in 08 weren't a patch on 05, 08 was pretty much a one man show with Cavanagh doing everything. 05 had Mulligan, O'Neill, Canavan and Brian McGuigan all playing superbly well.

The 08 forward line had Tommy McGuigan, McCullagh etc.

Anyway, back on topic, thought we'd be hammered after the quarters but feeling more confident that we'll make a game out of it.
    Agreed-the 2 matches against dublin, the semi V Armagh, and the final v Kerry-was at them all-I dont think any team has ever been involved in so many great matches in 1 year. They were a fantastic side.

The 08 side werent as good going forward with Canavan gone, and ONeill, Mulligan and McGuigan pale shadows of their 05 brilliance.

Having said that Cavanagh and Dooher were awesome that year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Mine too.

The end to that 2008 final is how I'd dream of Donegal winning one if they ever got the chance again.

They were such a brilliant side, Tyrone. I loved watching them. They're the best I've seen I think. I know people say the Kerry boys and now the Dubs but I would back that Tyrone side against anyone. They had that je ne sais quoi that the others didn't. Think it may be steel or northern grit. Possibly as a result of the tragedies that they have encountered on the way. McGirr, Omagh, Cormac.

That last ten minutes of the 08 final was a perfect encapsualation of the previous 60. It was alike a giant holding off a midget. A case of "anything you can do we can do better". I was sick to my stomach at HT though.
    Tyrone in 08 weren't a patch on 05, 08 was pretty much a one man show with Cavanagh doing everything. 05 had Mulligan, O'Neill, Canavan and Brian McGuigan all playing superbly well.

The 08 forward line had Tommy McGuigan, McCullagh etc.

Anyway, back on topic, thought we'd be hammered after the quarters but feeling more confident that we'll make a game out of it.

That's unfair to say that 2008 was such a lesser team: Ricey, Justin Mac, Conor Gormley, Marty Penrose, Tommy Guns, Seany, Brian Dooher, Mugsy and Stevie O'Neill. Quality.
    Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Agreed, the 2005 team was a superb team with a lot of them at the top of their game.

Agreed. I don't think there's issues with that. I think the love for the 08 side had a lot to do with how they put themselves about that year and the quality of football they played throughout and the fact that they were without Wee Peter at that stage.
    K-9 wrote: »
    True enough, I just preferred the style of football more in 08, the annihilation of Dublin was spectacular at times.

I couldn't help but applaud them for that performance. They were magnificent.
    Wasn't a great dubs team though.

True enough but we weren't terrible and we were Leinster Champions who were expecting to get close in 2008.
    K-9 wrote: »
    Down beat them after a replay in 2 classics. The counter attacking style for me was the basis of Donegal in 2012 and Dublin or Mayo now, the likes of Ricey or Justin McMahon up in the FF line at times.

Donegal 2012 were almost a carbon copy except with less talented footballers. I say less... Not that Donegal are crap. That Tyrone team were exceptional.

I think Dublin since 2013 has moved that template on a bit but it's clear that Mickey Harte's teams are the blueprint.
    Past30Now wrote: »
    It's the only time I ever left a match early. We'd lost two semi finals in a row and it felt that we were on the verge of a breakthrough. Pillar Caffrey had done a great job with the team, but that was a sickener. The 05 team for Tyrone was better than the 08 team, but that performance by them was excellent.

My tickets were hungover and stayed in Blanchardstown and couldn't face the trip in the rain. I could have murdered him. The worst part was that I lived on Distillery Road of the Clonliffe and anytime there was a score I heard it down the chimney before it happend on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

corny wrote: »
    So have i and i'm from Dublin:D

In fairness it's not as cringe worthy and pompous as 'jimmies winning matches'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

Ahh c'mon, the you tube video with the black lad was fun, along with the topless sunbathers in the background.

Nah at least that was catchy. Wasn't meant to be taken too seriously. The lad in the Dublin video thinks he's Rudyard Kipling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

harpsman wrote: »

But like yourself, despite the lack of class then and of this specimin Id still support Mayo if theyre playin Dublin in the final. Most of them are top people,includin the old man!!Suppose some of us have a bit o "breedin" as they say

I know exactly what you mean. I'll still support mayo if and when they play Donegal.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

My thoughts for the last two weeks when I wake up: "Eugh, this isn't the 31st :("

Stoner wrote: »
    I know exactly what you mean. I'll still support mayo if and when they play Donegal.
    :)

You know youre doing something right when the neutrals are shoutin for your opponents. There was a time when Donegal and Mayo were loveable losers. Theyre not loveble these days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Donegal team announced yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Donegal team announced yet?
    Didn't see anything yet but sure would you believe it if you did see it anyway?

No, still curious though. They seem to be leaving it late.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭emmetlego

For me, having been a supporter of the defensive system since the noughties, this Donegal system has taken it to the nth degree, but to win games, were relying on McBrearty and Mick scoring freely. Whatever about Mick, McB certainly wont help. Dublin's individual defenders are the best I've seen on years, so don't need to blanket defence, and they will have the manpower to defeat Donegal in my eyes. I would suggest a win for Dublin by well above what the bookies have as handicap (8 points?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

OK Ladies & Gents, can we please as a nation once and for all nail their.colours to the mast. Donegal or Dublin. A simple post to show your preference will suffice. AA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

I don't see this game being as close or as tight as all the pundits are predicting. I think Donegal will get the same treatment as all the other teams we've encountered this year so far and will be lucky to be within 6 or 7 points of us at the end. To honest, I can easily see a dubs victory in the 12-15+ points range.

#COYBIB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

ArielAtom wrote: »
    OK Ladies & Gents, can we please as a nation once and for all nail their.colours to the mast. Donegal or Dublin. A simple post to show your preference will suffice. AA

Dublin 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

The fact that you refer to his so called "undoubted brilliance" just shows how much you have been brainwashed by this guy.

And I don't know what the fact that he "has been around the minors" had to do with anything.
    My point is that he will probably alienate many of them cos it's "Jimmy's way or the high way"

He took a team of absolute no-hopers from getting hammered out of sight in a qualifier in Armagh to an All Ireland win in 2 years!! Does that happen often? Horan is given credit as a great manager but he couldn't win an All Ireland with a very talented squad for 4 years and counting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,009 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

My heart is saying Donegal, but head saying Dublin.
    I will be a big ask for Donegal to win. Its Dublins to lose.
    Lets see if they are as great as we are all being told they are.

Gael85 wrote: »

Brilliant, love his videos.

NIMAN wrote: »
    My heart is saying Donegal, but head saying Dublin.
    I will be a big ask for Donegal to win. Its Dublins to lose.
    Lets see if they are as great as we are all being told they are.

Any Donegal supporter that stayed back last day to watch the Monaghan game would've seen that this Dublin team are the real deal. It's not bigheadedness or arrogance it's just the planets have aligned and we've been given a great panel of players and a very rarely mentioned great backroom team too.

The Dublin team come into this game better prepared than at any time so far. If Dublin lose tomorrow, it'll be because they didn't play well. If they don't play well, it'll be because Donegal didn't let them. I'll certainly not be offerering any excuses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

On balance, based in what I've seen of Dublin this year, I think we should have the edge on Donegal tomorrow.

However I would caution against the over confidence being shown by many fans.

We all know Dublin are capable of playing a blinder, but they are also capable of completely imploding.

Let's not count our chickens just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Joekers

On balance, based in what I've seen of Dublin this year, I think we should have the edge on Donegal tomorrow.

We all know Dublin are capable of playing a blinder, but they are also capable of completely imploding.

Not this team under this management

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

Donegal by 1pt

McFadden MOTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

I just hope Donegal don't get too badly hammered, before, during or after the game :)

EunanMac wrote: »
    I just hope Donegal don't get too badly hammered, before, during or after the game :)

Not with the prices they charge for a pint round Croker they won't :pac:

Is that just a banal, historical observation or is that actually levelled at the current side? If its the latter you obviously haven't been watching much football lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

corny wrote: »
    Is that just a banal, historical observation or is that actually levelled at the current side? If its the latter you obviously haven't been watching much football lately.

I concur. Not a side that bottles it anymore. If they were 10 points down at half time, I'd still feel confidant. But anyway, lets get it on later today. Can't sleep, won't sleep. Even told the missus I wasn't interested in you know what.:D Watching it in a foreign land. Went to the LF on a visit back home, but feel a bit different about this game.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I concur. Not a side that bottles it anymore. If they were 10 points down at half time, I'd still feel confidant. But anyway, lets get it on later today. Can't sleep, won't sleep. Even told the missus I wasn't interested in you know what.:D Watching it in a foreign land. Went to the LF on a visit back home, but feel a bit different about this game.

Last game I watched abroad (poor planing on my part), was the 2002 AISF v Armagh in Peurta Rica. Pub was mobbed barely could see the tele in a sauna like atmosphere - anyways Ray Cosgroves last minute free to level it, huge roar goes up I'm up and at it ... didn't realise it was the 300 odd non Dub supporters shouting :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I won't see or here match at all as I travelling :-(

Quietly confide we can win this today, come on you dubs I be there in true blue spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Donegal double today returns 21/1 - is the country really that naive?

This Dublin team hasnt been tested since last September, while Donegal have practised grinding out victories against Derry, Monaghan and Armagh this summer so far. There's youth and experience in this Donegal squad - I give Jimmy every chance.

The one thing that concerns me is if we get a Red/Black card very early on, we obviously dont have the strength in depth that Dublin do.

Anyway, I believe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Im out of Ireland for this one, I have a pretty good vpn, whats the best way of watching it?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 wicklowvet

This Dublin team hasnt been tested since last September, while Donegal have practised grinding out victories against Derry, Monaghan and Armagh this summer so far. There's youth and experience in this Donegal squad - I give Jimmy every chance.

Anyway, I believe!

crazy odds i guess you must have some on at that price
    most dublin supporters are expecting a much closer game than the media and bookies are predicting
    odds never won matches it is what happens today at 1.30 and 3.30 in croke park is all that matters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

I'm not seeing anything about tickets in here? Mods can you direct me? Or anyone? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I am steaming on this train back to Dublin.

COYBIB

. also ****ing delighted Kerry won yesterday!

Slattsy wrote: »
    I am steaming on this train back to Dublin.

COYBIB

. also ****ing delighted Kerry won yesterday!

Yeah me too. Academic if Dublin lose today but i wouldn't fancy playing Mayo in another final. I know we won last year but it was a scrappy game.

The one thing that concerns me is if we get a Red/Black card very early on, we obviously dont have the strength in depth that Dublin do.

Anyway, I believe!

I don't know anything about the Donegal minors but our minors are quite good this year.

Stick with the single. You'd shoot yourself if the seniors won but the minors lost in a double.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

The quiet around the Dublin camp shows just how seriously they're taking this game. The hype is from the media as usual, mostly from outside the capital too, some of it borderin on the hysterical. It suits them to hype Dublin up and practically hand them the trophy as then they can justify the countless articles about money, splitting the county etc.

Anyway, wouldn't be surprised to see a late change for Dublin. Like the idea of getting McCafferey in, especially if Donegal drop back at least one of their half backs. Add a bit of pace around the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I agree. I use the other games as a distraction.

Donegal lads are quite too. Time for talking is over.

Hopefully its a good day for all.

Getting more nervous the closer it gets, unless we get a lead early I think this will be very tight (and not too easy on the eye). Dublin under Gavin haven't had to deal with this other than about 20 mins against Monaghan, It'll be tough but I think we'll win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Breakfast eaten.

The walk to Jury's begins. Love this part of the year.

COYBIB!

As an aside, I would hope whoever wins today whacks Kerry out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 oak1993

<SNIP> Did you join up just for that, seriously??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement