Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AI Final 07/09/14. Tipp v Kilkenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Browney7

And along comes Browney true to his name.

Still waiting for the card stats you have.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Browney7 wrote: »
    Savanahh gets a bit touchy if people don't bow before KK and lick Cody's boots and praise their players to the hilt.

I noticed that alright.
    Visual reminders of what. You might explain that to all the other Kilkenny posters. What exactly were you trying to prove when you uploaded it, was it that Kilkenny were saints. I doubt it. Your opinion of Kilkeny very much depends on which forum you are posting.

Is that the way I should portray them? As saints?

I'm pretty sure Boards is one forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Still waiting for the card stats you have.....

Kilkenny received less red cards both direct and indirect(two yellows) since Brian Cody took over than any other major hurling county even allowing for the fact that Kilkenny have played in far more matches than any other county in the same period. That is a statement so off you go along with the rest of the "Kilkenny are dirty brigade" and prove me wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Browney7

Kilkenny received less red cards both direct and indirect(two yellows) since Brian Cody took over than any other major hurling county even allowing for the fact that Kilkenny have played in far more matches than any other county in the same period. That is a statement so off you go along with the rest of the "Kilkenny are dirty brigade" and prove me wrong.

I'm not going to disprove or prove it because quite frankly I've better things to be doing and it seems neither are you. You're debating style when challenged on anything is what a five year old would do with your "look over there" style posts. Best of luck in the final dude.

I'm not going to disprove or prove it because quite frankly I've better things to be doing and it seems neither are you. You're debating style when challenged on anything is what a five year old would do with your "look over there" style posts. Best of luck in the final dude.

Thanks I just know you really mean it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I thought Lar was poor in the semi-final , and so they replace him with Eoin Kelly .

I don't believe that KK have anything to fear.

I thought Lar was poor in the semi-final , and so they replace him with Eoin Kelly .

I don't believe that KK have anything to fear.

If I'm correct, Eoin Kelly has not come on in a tight game so far this year. I don't think he'll be on in the all Ireland assuming its a tight game. Heard Corbett was a doubt, hasn't trained since the Cork game.

Think they might rejig the team and start Michael Cahill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

If I'm correct, Eoin Kelly has not come on in a tight game so far this year. I don't think he'll be on in the all Ireland assuming its a tight game. Heard Corbett was a doubt, hasn't trained since the Cork game.

Think they might rejig the team and start Michael Cahill.

Lately Eoin Kelly has only been brought on when the game was sufficiently "in the bag". O Shea is just keeping him sharp in case he's needed in the final, and what an impact sub he has the potential to be...
    I've heard so many stories about Lar that I don't know what to believe. Some say he's performing out of his skin in training, others say he's burnt out. I'd imagine he's somewhere in the middle but regardless, he definitely has a point to prove after his last performance in Croke Park.
    Personally I think the memory of 'that day' will either make or break him in the final and if he is headlining the papers the next day, hopefully he's doing so for the right reasons..
    Regarding Cahill, I don't envy O Sheas Job Of Deciding what to do with him.
    There's definitely an abundance of great players on the Tipp panel but how many times have Kilkenny beaten us mentally as well as physically? I suppose the final will tell how much Tipp Have learned since 2012..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Savannahkat and Browney7 one and only warning - quit with the bickering or face a few days off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭robbiezero

GerB40 wrote: »
    Regarding Cahill, I don't envy O Sheas Job Of Deciding what to do with him.
    There's definitely an abundance of great players on the Tipp panel but how many times have Kilkenny beaten us mentally as well as physically? I suppose the final will tell how much Tipp Have learned since 2012..

The thing that worries me a bit is that we have needed to be 7 or 8 points better than Kilkenny on the day to actually beat them. That sounds stupid, but they have a way of hanging on in games against us, so that even when we are dominant they still don't fall too far behind and when they have their period of dominance they really make it count.
    Thought we did most of the hurling in the league final, still beaten, likewise 2009. 2010 we hurled them off the field, buried them with goals at crucial times and yet the game was not in the bag until Benny Dunnes point in the last minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,160 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

robbiezero wrote: »
    The thing that worries me a bit is that we have needed to be 7 or 8 points better than Kilkenny on the day to actually beat them. That sounds stupid, but they have a way of hanging on in games against us, so that even when we are dominant they still don't fall too far behind and when they have their period of dominance they really make it count.
    Thought we did most of the hurling in the league final, still beaten, likewise 2009. 2010 we hurled them off the field, buried them with goals at crucial times and yet the game was not in the bag until Benny Dunnes point in the last minute.

And that is what makes KK a great team. They can drag it into a dogfight and then they have the skill in abundance to beat anyone.

God I hope Tipp batter them, a repeat of 2010 would be lovely. Although I never predicted Tipp to be in the final against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭oconnol1

Mushy wrote: »
    And that is what makes KK a great team. They can drag it into a dogfight and then they have the skill in abundance to beat anyone.

God I hope Tipp batter them, a repeat of 2010 would be lovely. Although I never predicted Tipp to be in the final against them.

Batter Kilkenny, not likely. Not a very sporty comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

robbiezero wrote: »

I was there on the hill surrounded by fellow Tipperary folk, all celebrating in utter ecstasy with 3 or 4 minutes left, while I was there biting my nails thinking "this is Kilkenny, if anyone can come back it's them". Not until the final whistle blew up did I allow myself to believe we'd actually done it.
    I'll probably have the same mentality in the closing minutes of the final, assuming it's not a total thrashing..

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

As a Tipp man, i think we ll do it, just about but i think seamus callinan is key, he had yet to play well against Kilkenny. He has had a brilliant year and a repeat of that form would see him hot favourite for hurler of the year. No doubt he has the ability hope to god he has the mentality.

as for the debate around Kilkenny being dirty. That 4 in a row team were the best team i ve seen playing. Their backs were awesome, yes they hurled on the edge a lot of time and technically there was lots of fouling / physicality off the ball, but i don t think they were doing anything different to other teams, having been a forward myself, it is not unusual for your marker to do a bit of holding, pushing, pulling, whatever might put you off. The Tipp team on 2009 and 2010 got on with it and concentrated on winning the ball rather than looking for frees. There was signs of that again against cork, fingers crossed, if the attitude is right i think we ll come out on top.

oconnol1 wrote: »
    Batter Kilkenny, not likely. Not a very sporty comment.

I should have clarified it, I meant batter them on the scoreboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭randd1

Only a week away now. The caterpillars are getting ready to become butterflies! Jesus I can't wait.

Just a word of warning for any traveling up by car.

Traffic is likely to be very hectic so go early. Because of the rail problems a lot of people are getting buses more than usual, and obviously there is going to be more cars going from both counties.

Was talking to the woman who organizes the bus we go on usually. Normally we have to just book our spot and pay on the day, and there's usually 5 buses going for an AI. This year we have to buy our tickets in advance, and there's already a good few buses sold out, and this is before we get our match tickets. And in case there's delays we're leaving at 9 in the morning. She said people are organizing buses left right and centre because of the planned rail strike.

I'm sure its the same situation all over Kilkenny and Tipp, the traffic is going to be mad, even for an AI final day. The few lads from Limerick will also add to the traffic I'm sure.

Talking to people around who are going, the common consensus is to go as early as possible in case there is big delays, which will be likely.

And good luck to fans from all three counties who are traveling up on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

randd1 wrote: »
    Only a week away now. The caterpillars are getting ready to become butterflies! Jesus I can't wait.

Just a word of warning for any traveling up by car.

Traffic is likely to be very hectic so go early. Because of the rail problems a lot of people are getting buses more than usual, and obviously there is going to be more cars going from both counties.

Was talking to the woman who organizes the bus we go on usually. Normally we have to just book our spot and pay on the day, and there's usually 5 buses going for an AI. This year we have to buy our tickets in advance, and there's already a good few buses sold out, and this is before we get our match tickets. And in case there's delays we're leaving at 9 in the morning. She said people are organizing buses left right and centre because of the planned rail strike.

I'm sure its the same situation all over Kilkenny and Tipp, the traffic is going to be mad, even for an AI final day. The few lads from Limerick will also add to the traffic I'm sure.

Talking to people around who are going, the common consensus is to go as early as possible in case there is big delays, which will be likely.

And good luck to fans from all three counties who are traveling up on the day.

I went to all 3 KK-Tipp finals and left at 9am and still got caught in traffic with the trains running. My Dad, who knows a person high up in the GAA hierarchy has said there is talk of pushing throw in back to 16.30 to allow fans to get up in time. The traffic is going to be absolutely horrific.

Although the 16.30 probably won't happen, I wouldn't be surprised if it was pushed back to 15.45 or 16.00 on the day itself.

thelad95 wrote: »
    I went to all 3 KK-Tipp finals and left at 9am and still got caught in traffic with the trains running. My Dad, who knows a person high up in the GAA hierarchy has said there is talk of pushing throw in back to 16.30 to allow fans to get up in time. The traffic is going to be absolutely horrific.

Although the 16.30 probably won't happen, I wouldn't be surprised if it was pushed back to 15.45 or 16.00 on the day itself.

Be late getting home then. Work will be fun the Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

Almost upon us now, I didn't think before the Galway match we would still be involved at this stage. I think Tipp can win but a lot of things have to go right for us.

Our backs were excellent against Cork but the Kilkenny forwards are a totally different animal. We need to get the match ups right and dictate who marks who unlike 2011 when we let Henry mark John O Keefe, the novice in our back-line.

A good start is essential if we are to win on Sunday. Similar to 2010 it built a platform and help settle the team, an early goal or a couple of points on the board early.

Lar & Noel McGrath need to start contributing a bit more on the scoreboard. Seamie Callinan, Bonner and Bubbles O'Dwyer have been causing every defense trouble so far but we need our 6 forwards to contribute.

Richie Hogan needs to be marshaled, he scored 6 from play in the league final and has continued that form all year, we need to curb his influence as much as possible. James Woodlock will have his work cut out for him.

The sideline need to be brave with their calls, if someone is under-performing we need to be quick with the changes. If Mickey Cahill is not starting he can cover backs and possibly midfield also. Denis Maher also is also a decent replacement. The Kilkenny bench does look like it has a lot more options however.

The build up has been muted by the football but its great to finally be focusing in on the hurling this week. There has been a great buzz about the county like always and here's hoping to a good spectacle and a Tipp win on Sunday. My prediction is Tipp by 2-4.

Hon the Premier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

What's the verdict, a high scoring game? 48.5 points looks a bit high to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Rightwing wrote: »
    What's the verdict, a high scoring game? 48.5 points looks a bit high to me.

low scoring for sure, defenses on top from both teams...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I think donal og got it right on the sunday game about predictions. It's really pointless especially predicting scorelines or winning margins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I think donal og got it right on the sunday game about predictions. It's really pointless especially predicting scorelines or winning margins.

It's pointless when the individual in question hasn't a clue. It seperates those knowledgeable punters from the bluffers imo.

I think Donal Og is too inclined to set in on the fence in this regard. He doesn't want people coming back 'Well Donal Og said theyd win and he was wrong'.

Other than that he is an excellent analyst, but he said prior to the Cork game anyone telling you they know the result is a fool or something similar. That is taking the easy option in my opinion although in a game involving your own County I would say fair enough if you feel your bias might affect your ability to call it.

Talk of Richie Hogan moving to full forward, presumably with Michael Fennelly to midfield. Would be an interesting move. Part of the appeal of these teams meeting each other is the tactical side to it.

Hogan has been instrumental all year in midfield picking out the right pass for his colleagues, particularly with how they've been playing. It would seem they'd be far more direct. Cody has a tendency to look for a weak spot as was eluded to by Donal Og, it's too early to say what kind of a full back Barry is but he doesn't have much experience at any rate.

I think Kieran Bergin is the weak link of the six backs. Kilkenny have two young wing backs who have been hurling well, particularly Cillian Buckley. All 6 are good hulers and bar a bit of trouble the first day v Johnny Glynn, Paul Murphy has been performing to his usual high standards. The worry would be the legs of Brian Hogan, Delaney and Tyrell.

As far back as 2011 Hogan had trouble with Mullane's pace. Bonner is a slightly different threat but possibly even worse given the supporting cast. Assuming Hogan will occupy the deep role to cover the full back against the obvious threat of Callanan, that would invited Bonner onto them and he has shown a keenness to go for goals this year.

The Tipperary fowards love moving around and there's no better example than Bubbles. He'll look for space and likely come out the field at times. Question is will he be followed? If he is, you're creating space inside. If not, any time he has space he will score.

Tipp's forward line is quite dangerous though a marked improvement will be required from Corbett. I think they can actually survive without Noel McGrath if the rest play well, I don't think he's as important to the gameplan as he was.

If Hogan starts full forward, it will be interesting to see who else starts. Richie Power was the obvious choice at full forward for me, maybe he'd play corner. TJ Reid to mark Paudie Maher and Colin Fennelly on Bergin. Pretty sure he marked Nagle last year and had a huge impact on the game.

At this point I would favour Tipp slightly. I think they have more pace in the team. I think that their backs are capable of getting tighter than Kilkenny's. I would start Michael Cahill everyday of the week but the fact we're suggesting he mightn't on the form of the rest is a pretty big testament. I don't think they've huge options on the bench, though Denis Maher has showed well everytime he's come on. Equally, I don't really see it in Kilkenny either on the bench. Don't see Shefflin having an impact on this game, Walter Walsh potentially but not on recent form, Tommy Walsh's legs are shot, I think Mark Kelly hasn't capitalized on the opportunities he's been given and Brian Kennedy after a promising start was very poor v Offaly and Galway.

Basically, I think both sides are firmly relying on the starting 15s to do the job for them.

I think Tipp will come out on top.

Tipp's forward line is quite dangerous though a marked improvement will be required from Corbett. I think they can actually survive without Noel McGrath if the rest play well, I don't think he's as important to the gameplan as he was.

Some statement to make.

Some statement to make.

Not really. Kilkenny bet Limerick with poor performances from Paudie Walsh, Mark Kelly and a great man marking job by Hickey on TJ Reid. It's rare even a winning team will have 6 starting forwards all playing well.

Just dreading again I talked a bit mire about KKs bench as they've used more player, and just on Shefflin I feel the game will pass him by simply because of the frenetic nature of these games. I was there in 2011, possibly the worst of the three games though Hogans goal was worth the admission fee alone ( admittedly I had a free ticket :D ) but being in attendance I couldn't get over the intensity of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭Speak Now

thelad95 wrote: »

Pushing the time back wouldn't be very fair on those that have to catch buses or trains after the game, those driving will just have to leave early enough.

Have people got tickets through their clubs yet? I'm getting mine from the home club in Wicklow and still no sign of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,831 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Mushy wrote: »
    Have people got tickets through their clubs yet? I'm getting mine from the home club in Wicklow and still no sign of them!
    Our club in Dublin has theirs, although they were late enough arriving this year. You'd want to be getting onto them at this stage, it's Wednesday like!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement