Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Gatica wrote: »
    Personally I would continue the pattern over the 4 left over stitches, it will just be the alternating p2, k2 I presume.
    Is that what you're asking? or do you mean whether to do the pattern on the decrease row?

Thanks, yes, that's what I'm wondering - it's hard to explain. I'd be left with the first four stitches as written above, so the p2, k2 alternated with k2, p2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭Gatica

vitani wrote: »
    On the eighth row, it's p2, sl2 F, p2, y.o.n, k2 together from cable needle, sl2 B, k2 together from cable needle, y.r.n, p2

When I have the twelve stitches decreased, there'll only be four stitches left of the pattern.

... But if I continue the pattern as written, I have no stitches left to put in front or behind the cable needle.

Sorry, I just realised about the cable on the 8th row. Can you do a small swatch to see how it would look, doing a p2 + p2 on eighth row (keeping it just plain) or p2 yo k2 together on eighth row (kinda part of the pattern).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I think that's probably the best idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Interesting article on blocking from Love Knitting. Might help someone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I've just spent two hours picking up and counting stitches on a baby bolero and my 3.25 mm snapped in half! Think the best I can do is knit the border on a 3.5mm and just knit off the broken needle hoping for the best :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cmbutterfly45

Hi guys hoping someone will b able to help me find a knit pattern for a doll or teddy for a beginner child to knit she is seven and I've been teaching her to just knit but she wants to turn it into something now rather than just squares!
    I remember doing a really easy rag doll in primary school so I imagine there are a few patterns like this floating around thanks in advance for any help!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Oh no, if possible I'd use a smaller needle for the pick up and then move to the larger needle.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

If anyone's in Galway, Aldi have 400g balls of acrylic yarn for €2.99. It's decent quality stuff!

Hi guys hoping someone will b able to help me find a knit pattern for a doll or teddy for a beginner child to knit she is seven and I've been teaching her to just knit but she wants to turn it into something now rather than just squares!
    I remember doing a really easy rag doll in primary school so I imagine there are a few patterns like this floating around thanks in advance for any help!

Have you tried ravelry? I put in search filter for free knitting pattern for Doll Clothes and puppet. There are 30 pages of patterns!
    http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#page=2&photo=yes&craft=knitting&pc=puppet|dollclothes&view=captioned_thumbs&sort=best&availability=free

I think these look good, but depends on her skill level I suppose:
    http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/itty-bitty-dress
    http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/1112-robe-rose
    http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/mini-weasley-sweater

Gatica wrote: »

Thanks for that
    It's a doll or teddy I'm looking for rather than clothes I have tried ravelry along with lots of other knitting blogs but I can't find any to suit her level online it would be very basic beginner I'm looking for as in a pattern that only uses knit if imagine a primary teacher might have something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

You quite often see very simple patterns for knitting things for charity.
    Try this: http://forum.knit-a-square.com/forum/topics/a-simple-teddy-bear-patricia

You quite often see very simple patterns for knitting things for charity.
    Try this: http://forum.knit-a-square.com/forum/topics/a-simple-teddy-bear-patricia

Thanks so so much this is exactly what I've been looking for she will b so delighted thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

I though of this
    http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/fast-finish-teddy-free-version

and i did this one a few times with cotton, or dk and it was so quick and easy

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/bunny-blanket-buddy-50722-knit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Does anyone else make your partner/kids/sister/brother/whoever happens to be sitting beside you count your stitches? Poor mr. Kandr!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

kandr10 wrote: »
    Does anyone else make your partner/kids/sister/brother/whoever happens to be sitting beside you count your stitches? Poor mr. Kandr!
    Yep. Every so often I'll get Himself to count them, usually when I'm so boggle-eyed that I've counted them three times and come up with three different numbers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Have always used metal needles (thank you Mam for a full set of Aeros years ago) but I see bamboo needles available online at what seem to me to be very cheap prices. Has anyone who previously used metal needles any opinions regarding bamboo? Do you prefer it?

I tend to knit at a higher than average tension if that matters. I'm worried about reports I see of breaking tips etc.

I used aluminium ones as my first set of needles. Can't say I like them. They're cold when you pick them up and the tips are starting to wear down to whatever is underneath that silvery grey coating.

I've picked up a lovely set of interchangeable bamboo needles on special offer on springwools. I love them, they're very comfy to knit with, I like the feel of the wood and I don't see them breaking, snapping or splintering any time soon. They're kind of a dark colour. Having those I don't see how they actually break, unless you really do force them to snap in half. Might depend on the quality of the needles. The only thing that gets me sometime is they're very pointy and I tend to push on the tips when sliding stitches, which can get sore.

I got cheap bamboo ones off ebay and while they're ok, I can see them being more brittle and prone to snapping and splintering. One 2.5mm set splintered a little, but seller sent me replacement thankfully. They're a lighter colour, almost yellowy. My nails are also denting the soft wood on those, especially on the bigger thickness ones (5mm).

I used metal Aero needles years ago. Always used short needles, then changed to circulars if the stitches were too many.

Then I stopped knitting, and lost my needles (probably vintage by now!). When I decided to take it up again, I bought a set of bamboo needles on eBay and haven't looked back. Very light and easy to use. One thing though - I've manged to break a couple of needles, and have had to replace them. But I've never broken the tips. They're very cheap to buy though. Never paid more than a fiver for a complete set, and I've got them all - long & short SP's a set of DP's and a set of circulars. All are bamboo needles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thanks for the replies. I've just ordered a set and to be honest, they were so cheap it really wouldn't matter if they all fell to smithereens. Astonished at the prices people are looking for old Aero needles though - I must start straightening out some of the hundreds lying around here. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

For anyone with long needles, I was looking for something to store my needles together so I could easily carry them in my knitting bag and keep them together in a drawer if I'm not using them. It was very difficult due to the length of them. But last week I found a shoe travel bag in Dealz and it's perfect. The folds that would allow it to fit a pair of shoe create 4 semi-compartments when the needles are in it, so I can keep them together by size with the ones I use most frequently to the front. But once it's zipped up with the needles in it's just the size of a very long pencil case. Very handy for €1.49.

I bought a knitting case for my needles. It takes the long needles and the bits and pieces OK, but wanted another case for my DP's. Found just the thing in Dealz! A nice big pencil case for them...

Would you guys mind putting up the link of what you got?
    I've only a couple of long needles and they're a pain to organise, they're diagonally across my knitting box (one of those pretty treasure chests I got in TK Maxx).

Cases or needles?

Sorry, the cases... I think shoe case and pencil case were the two mentioned. Sounds like a great idea! I find that sometime knitting supplies make a premium just by marketing their products for knitting, when there's probably very similar cheaper alternatives.

This is the shoe storage bag: http://www.dealz.ie/leisure-and-entertainment/travel/shoe-storage-bag

It comfortably fits 18 pairs of 36cm needles.

And this is the same kind of case I bought for the DP's. Mine is actually a pink and purple Argyll check case.

I have a tin box pencil case for my crochet hooks. It's handy because I've started working on novelty items for gifts and I can put the eyes and noses I make into the box with the hooks until I sew them on and they don't get too battered.

What are DPs btw? I can't work it out.

Double points...

• Advertisement

Brilliant, thanks!

Advertisement