Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magazine capacity semi- auto shotguns

Options
  • 21-01-2015 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭

i recently found an interesting video on you tube which showed how how to increase the capacity of a semiauto shotgun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omUB-JhAF-s

Does this make all semi autos restricted?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Chiparus wrote: »
    i recently found an interesting video on you tube which showed how how to increase the capacity of a semiauto shotgun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omUB-JhAF-s

Does this make all semi autos restricted?

Called a "ghost load"in the tactical and run &gun circles.Not for the uninitiated or of clumsy hands.Common knowledge and hard to prove that somone "might" do this in a semi.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Aside from the legality of it it looks dodgy enough from a stoppages point of view.

Rather have one less than clearing a stoppage when the pigeons are coming in nicely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Yes, and no.

No, as it would not be classed as the normal operating function of the gun.
    Yes, in that if a shotgun cannot hold more than three and you use this method you have turned it into a restricted gun by loading a fourth.

However as said it's not the normal function of the gun, and would take a conscious act, knowing breaking the conditions of your license, to do so.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Just for my point if view there is "capability" for my firearm to hold more than 3 rounds, but I suppose it's like having 6 rounds in a pistol, one chambered and 5 in the magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Eo1n8wrd

There is a capability for my car to do 200kmph going up the m6 but if I make the conscious decision to break the law then I get my arse handed to me!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Chiparus wrote: »
    Just for my point if view there is "capability" for my firearm to hold more than 3 rounds, but I suppose it's like having 6 rounds in a pistol, one chambered and 5 in the magazine.
    Correct. One in the spout and 5 in the mag still make it a restricted firearm.
    Eo1n8wrd wrote: »
    There is a capability for my car to do 200kmph going up the m6 but if I make the conscious decision to break the law then I get my arse handed to me!
    Correct.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Id like to see of it works properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

aaakev wrote: »
    Id like to see of it works properly!

Well for the purposes of testing you can do it with a total of three cartridges as well as with four or six whatever the supposed capacity of your gun is supposed to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭turismo2142

Not restricted at all. It's simply not manufactured to do that. It's not dangerous but it's begging for a jam

I did that with my beretta a400 a while ago. One in the pipe, one in the mag and one floating in between. It worked. Twice. But I couldn't help but get the feeling that I'd screw things up if I did it anymore. It's a recipie for a jam. Curious thing to do. Will never do it again. Pointless!

But frankly, I didn't and would never chamber the fourth round. As cass said, that would be a breach of your licence and a huge no no!

And it's a sure way to bite your finger with the bolt while mucking about.

To be honest, I'm almost embarrassed to say that I've tried it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Recipe for a tragedy, in my view. The beauty of a magazine type shotgun is that it's 100% safe with the breech empty, even though the magazine is full. Start mucking around with one in the barrel, one in the carrier plus whatever in the magazine, and sooner or later the occasion will arrive where you have a live shell chambered in a gun you thought was empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭turismo2142

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Recipe for a tragedy, in my view. The beauty of a magazine type shotgun is that it's 100% safe with the breech empty, even though the magazine is full. Start mucking around with one in the barrel, one in the carrier plus whatever in the magazine, and sooner or later the occasion will arrive where you have a live shell chambered in a gun you thought was empty.

I agree entirely.

Advertisement