Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guide - the Budget Gaming PC

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭SoulReaperDan1

It seems to be gone now, I'm getting a pc for xmas, everyone seems to be referencing this dutch/german site (not sure which!)http://www4.hardwareversand.de/home.jsp is it reliable? I think i'm off to fill a basket there.......!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Call Me Jimmy - Do you just need the monitor, or other bits (card reader, keyboard, mouse) as well? And I assume you have an OS license for it? If you needed all of the above as well as the components around €500 things could get a little interesting...

€500 (€390 not counting the cost of the monitor) plus P&P gets you this bundle of goodies...

HWVS500wTFT.jpg

If you could find a bit more money to play with you could get some dramatic (and far more future-proof!) improvement over this but if you are really strapped for cash then you'll more than survive on this.

(Note to vets: How do you use that tablegen script on hardwareversand? Or did they take it out when they updated their site and released the new beta shop? Couldn't find anything for it anywhere... I had to use Paint and Photobucket :rolleyes: )

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Wait a minute, they had a tablegen script? Given your post I assume that took a screen grab of your order and gave you a link? I've always used paint and I would have saved bucketloads if time with this feature.

I thought conzy and terror were using said script, someone else was asking them about it. I had to use Paint... :o:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Just rough guidelines for those looking into new PCs. Not to be taken as 'Definitely buy this machine in this budget', just guidelines.

Remember if you're asking:
    • Budget
    • Intended Uses
    • Monitor size if already have one
    • Priority regarding silence, temperatures
    • Whether or not OS, Monitor, Keyboard/Mouse required.

1) Budget 350 euro including delivery.
    2) Budget 400 euro including delivery.
    3) Budget 470 euro including delivery.
    4) Budget 750 euro including delivery.
    5) Budget 1050 euro including delivery.

budget0.jpg

budget2.jpg

budget1.jpg

budget3.jpg

budget4.jpg

• Advertisement

Terror: The third config... Do you really think that Axpertec "crapbox" PSU can power that config? It only has 14A on 12V2 to power everything but the CPU... and given you specced a HD4830... well, my FSB266 system with 2GB RAM and a knackered HD3850 is barely alive on 18A. Any OC (aside from running FSB1066 mode) kills everything. And that's with a unit based on FSP designs. Those Axpertecs are based on... SFC/Kingwin :eek::( Epic fail.

And that GTX260+ seems a little expensive, yeah, its better than the HD4870, and yeah, Komplett is overpricing their HD4870s, but there's cheaper GTX260+ out there and they still strike me as a little overpriced with the price differences there...

I've followed a lot of reviews on AXP supplies because I was surprised at how cheap they were. They get consistantly good reviews from what I can see, I admit I didn't get a review of the 500w one but I read one of the 600w reviews (or something like that, perhaps 650w) that rated it as a solid and reliable supply. Regarding the 12v, it was my understanding that a dual rail system will use 12v1 for cpu/mobo and so on, which means it delivers 75w to the pci-e lane, while the 12v2 then delivers an additional amount on the 6-pin, whatever is needed - the max draw of a 4830 is something around 100-110w so not too much more. Looking at the AXP site, the 12v2 is listed at 20A, not 14?

As for the GTX260....it's the 216 core (vs 192 stream processors as standard) version, destroys even the 1GB 4870 at 1920x1200 in any game more or less. If that's not value at 305 I dunno what is. :)

it was my understanding that a dual rail system will use 12v1 for cpu/mobo and so on, which means it delivers 75w to the pci-e lane, while the 12v2 then delivers an additional amount on the 6-pin, whatever is needed

If only! Original ATX2 spec has the first rail for CPU only - in other words just the little 4-pin ATX connector. Everything else - including mobo and both PCIe sides - comes from the other rail. This was fine for the servers ATX2 was designed for, but not modern PCs. Unfortunately, many cheaper PSUs still copy the ATX2 spec :( Most manufacturers keep their actual rail design a closely guarded secret :mad: You sometimes get them in reviews but, otherwise, unless you have a knowledge of electronics and fancy opening up the PSU the only way you can find out if your PSU is a bad design is if it chokes on a relatively small load for no apparent reason :(

I have no idea whether the Axpertec uses 12V1 for CPU/mobo or CPU only.
    Looking at the AXP site, the 12v2 is listed at 20A, not 14?

...? It was listed somewhere as 17/14A. Best guess is that they were wrong or that Axpertec updated its design (just like CoolerMaster did a while back). Actually, its spec and efficiency now looks a lot more like the high-end AXPs than the other SimplePowers (by comparison the 630W unit still hasn't been updated and only has 22/21A 12V rails... compare them to the 500W!). Which is a very good sign - almost all the power is going to the 12V rails. As it should. That unit looks a lot better than my crappy rebadged FSP!

And I know the GTX260+ is s***-hot at the mo, but even the cheapest models retail at ~€90 more than some HD4870 1GB prices I've seen. I don't know if ppl looking for €1000 builds have high-end 22"/ cheapie 24" TFTs yet... many probably still have 19" or standard 22" TFTs that max out at 1680*1050.

And one more point: most of the benches I've seen match up a heavily OCd 260+ vs. a stock HD4870 512MB which could explain some disparities. I'd like to find a bench pitting a stock 260+ vs the 1GB version of the 4870... :) In which case you've got the wrong card up; that's a stock-clocked version. The OCd version only costs €10 more and that one IS great value for money :D Just check again for an identical product on Komplett that costs a smidgen more; you might notice the -EVO prefix on the model no. ;)

Yeah but it's a 216 core edition. The standard GTX260 - still sometimes faster then a 1gb 4870 - is only 192 stream processors; so yes its stock clocked but faster then a standard GTX260. And it's definitely faster then the 1GB 4870, I know because I researched and found it to be conclusively faster at 1920x1200 (what I game at; all other resolutions below were closer matched) in all of the latest FPS titles. I still got the 4870 because it's cheaper though. Comparing Komplett prices, the price between a 1gb 4870 and a marginally faster GTX260 is negligible; the price difference between the Core 216 and 1gb 4870 is a little larger but also definitely worth it in my opinion if you game on a 24" monitor. I somewhat wish I'd gone for that option myself but no biggie.

As for the PSU I'm almost positive the 12v1 powers the cpu and board (and so delivering a chunk of the pci-e requirement), otherwise half the dual rail psu's on the market would barely power an 8800gt class card. I had a dual rail psu powering dual 8800GTS 512mb cards and a Q6600 and the 12v2 was definitely hovering around 20-25a, which would never work on its lonesome with that hardware.

someone else might clarify that though, I'm not positive. The intricacy of hardware isn't my selling point. And on that note I think you're seriously underestimating PSU's across the forum - I saw one post in which you said you were surprised a 500w OCZ was powering a quad and 4850. a 500w ocz would power way more then that effortlessly! I had a quad and 2 8800GTSs 512mb powered off a 35 euro 400w Silver Power PSU for several days, no hassle at all. ;)

Hvae a read of this.

They conclude that a high quality 400w (such as corsair) can run "Phenom X4 9850 BE, 4GB Memory, AMD 790X Chipset, ATI Radeon HD 3870X2, an optical drive, and two hard drives."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

right....im going to build a gaming pc with christmas money i get, i really want to be able to play cod4 on max and cod5 also......i prob will end up with 500 euro or so and dont need a monitor really as ive got a ****ty dell 19 inch from bout 4 years ago but its flatscreen so itl do fine
    any specs i should really go for?? my first build so im a bit nervous with all the wiring but should be ok i think! prob want a 4850 or something similar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭bigtom71

Hi TerrorFirmer,

Your options above were really helpful, as I am planning on building a HTPC for myself over the next couple of weeks. I came up with this option (modified slightly from some of yours). I have attached it as I cannot get it to show on the screen!! anyways, I will be using this for recording and watching HD and SD programmes and watching AVIs and DVDs as well. A bit of Internet crawling will be done as well. Added to the spec is the graghics card I ordered from Elara: http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1515312&productID=S5349714. I wanted a relatively quiet or silent GPU, capable of HD playback/recording.

and a TV card like this connected to a dish on the roof: http://www.digital-everywhere.com/en/alcms/index.php?sid=1187859689. The card is pricey at €69, but it is future proofed. If there was one that went well with Vista Media Centre for a lot less I'd be interested.

Any thoughts on where I am over-spec'd and can save a few bob?

Looks good I have to say Tom. There's actually a HTPC/Media Center forum here for more info, I have to say my knowledge of such cards - that is to say specifically the tv and digital ones - is essentially non-existent. From a hardware point of view, the base machine itself and the GPU are good solid choices. You might have saved money on the board by going cheaper, Komplett used to have a good range of cheap matx boards with onboard video capable of HD around the 50-60 price range, which would have saved you the guts of 100 euro but they're all gone now, not to mention you already have a card regardless so it's not a big deal. Personally I have a Gigabyte 750i S2h, cost 57 euro and has onboard 7150, with is fine for HD content - I actually use it in my main build, it's a good board, even for overclocking. Not only would you be saving money but also saving on power consumption. All in all though it's hard to fault your build.

Pabsoo....use the sub 500 euro machine above as a base point. It has a 4830 not a 4850 but at such a low resolution, it'll perform the same give or take a frame - and still more then enough to max out COD4 and COD5 easily, it's a great card. But if you really insist, you could replace that 4830 with a 4850 and still come out at about 500 euro. :)

what website would you guys recommend buying off?? ocuk seem to be quite good but i have a feeling p&p would be quite expensive to ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

What does everyone think of this for a first budget gaming PC build? €670 including 22 inch monitor:

Intel Pentium Dualcore E5200
    Maxtor 500GB SATA II 32MB
    Coolermaster Elite 330
    Sparkle 9800GT 512MB
    LG GH22LP20 schwarz lightscribe
    Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L
    4096MB DDR2 Corsair Twin2X CL5
    Corsair VX450W
    MS Windows Vista home premium
    SAMSUNG 2243

leaving urself a bit short with 450w psu?? not sure but could be a bit iffy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

ooPabsoo wrote: »
    leaving urself a bit short with 450w psu?? not sure but could be a bit iffy

Nah not really, ive ran a tripple 8800gtx sli setup with 6 hdds on a 500w psu before and had no problems. As long as its a branded psu i wouldn't be worried, but it might be no harm moving to the corsair 620w just for future upgrades.

Edit: Apologies, didn't see the OS there, driving the price up another €90+. Everything else there is fine other than the fact the HIS HD4830 is a good €15 cheaper for a slightly better card than you have. I'm not a huge fan of mATX mobos either, that's a full ATX case you're getting there so you might as well use it :) And the Antec Earthwatts 650W is less than a tenner more than the Corsair if you want a bit more futureproofing. Both are excellent PSUs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

What does everyone think of this for a first budget gaming PC build? €670 including 22 inch monitor:

Intel Pentium Dualcore E5200
    Maxtor 500GB SATA II 32MB
    Coolermaster Elite 330
    Sparkle 9800GT 512MB
    LG GH22LP20 schwarz lightscribe
    Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L
    4096MB DDR2 Corsair Twin2X CL5
    Corsair VX450W
    MS Windows Vista home premium
    SAMSUNG 2243

Very nice, cant do much better than that.

HD4870 + 550W Corsair will set you back an extra €100 or so but well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Slightly off topic...

Can anyone confirm for sure if the ga-g31-s2l has a full x16 PCIex Slot and will there be any issues with the slot being PCIex 1.0 with a 1GB 4870?

Also, as long as I have a decent PSU, is 2GB of value RAM going to be an issue? CPU will be 2.6GHz C2D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Slightly off topic...

Can anyone confirm for sure if the ga-g31-s2l has a full x16 PCIex Slot and will there be any issues with the slot being PCIex 1.0 with a 1GB 4870?

Also, as long as I have a decent PSU, is 2GB of value RAM going to be an issue? CPU will be 2.6GHz C2D.

Its a good board, with nice overclocking options.It has a x16 pci e slot and your 4870 will run perfect on it, supports quads and 45nm too.Great board for the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Thanks for the input Sqaull20.

I have this board 6 or 7 months with an E4500 on it using the integrated, but with holidays coming I was thinking of making it game capable. I was going to get a Q6600 and put the existing chip in a different system.

I've been out of the loop for a while so not sure how the land lies.

Is there any real advantage of C2Quad over C2Duo? And what of Yorkfield/Wolfdale?

i dont think there's much need to upgrade to a Q6600.....a wolfdale would out perform a Q6600 gaming wise as most games only are capable of using 2 cores....wolfdale is 3ghz so outperforms a 2.4ghz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

ooPabsoo wrote: »
    i dont think there's much need to upgrade to a Q6600.....a wolfdale would out perform a Q6600 gaming wise as most games only are capable of using 2 cores....wolfdale is 3ghz so outperforms a 2.4ghz

agree with the above.

the only question to ask is whether you want to play GTAIV? if you do then a quad is a better option for it. in the long term you'll start to see more and more games that will need a quad to perform properly, but so far GTAIV is pretty much the only one.

im stuck choosing a mobo for my new build.....im on quite a tight budget and dnt know if i should choose the asus p5q pro which i could crossfire on or a cheaper board..hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Hey guys i've just been looking through this thread and it really seems that you guys think dual core is really the way to go right now.

But i am concerned about the future someone mentioned a new game which really "required" the quad core and it seems ominous to me that in say two years that every new game will be making use of the quad core, and heck maybe all these dual core builds talked about here will become obsolete!

I'm very new to all this but is there a chance that some people here are being shortsighted?
    For the sake of 100 euro more getting a quad core, is it not worth it?

for the time being,dual core is perfect as 90% of games on the market at the moment dont actually use the 3rd and 4th core. GTA iv and i think crysis do use the 3rd and 4th cores . new games in the future such as call of duty modern warfare 2 from what i have heard will be using the same engine as cod4 and cod5 just a little tweaked......core 2 duo's willl not become obselite any time soon as most gamers have them,and most gamers is the market these game companies will be targeting

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭TheZenWithin

alot of the specs qouted here from hardwareversand.de are outdate as some are not being sold anymore. be it GFX cards or mobos.

anybody want to do an updated on?

What pricerange? Any special conditions? (gaming only/apps as well/1080p screen/64bit etc.) The spec for a budget machine changes on a weekly basis, and its not just HWVS (there are Komplett and Dabs builds around here too).

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭TheZenWithin

komplett would suit me better as I will be getting the vat back.

Gaming rig.€500 max(ex vat)
    I'd like specs of an mATX system aswel as a standard sized system.
    I have an idea of what I want but I want to make sure of compatiblity and am afraid to buy a bad GFX card.

500gb hdd
    2-4gb ram
    non pentium dual core.core 2 duo only.
    wifi
    dvdrw.basic
    will be using a 22" monitor(currently a 17")

would this be a good mATX rig.its ex vat

Intel Core™ 2 Duo E7200 2,53GHz -€98.35

Intel(r) DG45ID, G45, Socket-775, mATX -€85.12

Thermaltake LanBox Lite Black -€62.81

Sony Nec Optiarc DVD±rw Burner -€19.75

Sapphire Radeon HD 4830 512MB GDDR3 -€86.83

Samsung F1 500GB SATA2 -€45.46

TP-LINK Wireless PCI adapter -€13.22

NorthQ Powersupply 4800, 400W -€32.10

Akasa cold cathode case light, Blue -€11.16

Akasa Cable Management Kit -€9.09

Crucial DDR2 PC8500 2048MB CL7 -€19.75

SUBTOTAL -€483.64
    PLUS P+P -€20.66
    TOTAL -€504.30

oh and i have xp32/64 vista32 and w7 ultinate beta. :D

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

hi folks, looking for a bit of help. i am looking for a gaming machine to replace a laptop, ideally dont want to spend much more than 600. looking for a 2.4 dualcore, 4gig of ram and a 512 graphics card. HDD doesnt have to be any more than 500gig as i have a few externals. any advise is much appreciated. im based in dublin so local would be ideal but if i have to ill go online

Mark

Advertisement