Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The John Murray Show

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I decided to try and give this programme another chance this morning.

I lasted about 9 seconds.

Or (for those who were tuned in), midway through the second sentence of the letter he read out while imitating the Queen.

Awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Nope, hit the off button as soon as the news finished.

Terrible stuff....and getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

It's like listening to a radio show hosted by your dad. Trying to be funny, failing horribly and making me cringe like nothing else! Eeeek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Lapin wrote: »
    Or (for those who were tuned in), midway through the second sentence of the letter he read out while imitating the Queen.

I heard it.. horrific.. 9-10am output from RTE radio is really poor..

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Gave up on JM months ago ,rubbish of a very high calibre .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Bobba Fett

Absolute rubbish. JM is just not funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

very surprised this is so bad. I actually thought he was ok on the weekend business show. Absolute nothing on it that might attract listeners to do anything apart from change station.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    very surprised this is so bad. I actually thought he was ok on the weekend business show.

agree 100%.. he filled in for Marian Finucane one weekend and I thought he was really good.. but this show is just awful..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Bobba Fett wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish. JM is just not funny.

You see, thats the whole thing.

Maybe if he stopped trying to be a comedian people might take him more seriously.

I fail to understand why RTÉ are casting him in the role of a clown when he is a presenter of obvious intelligence.

If they insist on dumbing down the 9-10 slot, then use a presenter who can fit the role.

John Murray has a flair for dealing with more weighty issues with his own unique laid back style. He proved himself every week on the business programme and it was much more enjoyable than it is now with George Lee at the helm.

I get the feeling he is uncomfortable with the format he finds himself working with now.

He deserves better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Lapin wrote: »
    You see, thats the whole thing.

Maybe if he stopped trying to be a comedian people might take him more seriously.

I fail to understand why RTÉ are casting him in the role of a clown when he is a presenter of obvious intelligence.

If they insist on dumbing down the 9-10 slot, then use a presenter who can fit the role.

John Murray has a flair for dealing with more weighty issues with his own unique laid back style. He proved himself every week on the business programme and it was much more enjoyable than it is now with George Lee at the helm.

I get the feeling he is uncomfortable with the format he finds himself working with now.

He deserves better.

My mother used to say the exact same thing about Pat Kenny back when he was starting out. That he was a bit wacky, and unfunny, and unsuited to Entertainment type roles/DJ'ing. Then he got his own show and allowed do what he wanted to do, and he did great. I have a feeling John Murrays problem is a form of micro-management by a producer(s) in RTE. I have heard him do serious interviews and he makes Tubridy sound like an amateur.

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    My mother used to say the exact same thing about Pat Kenny back when he was starting out. That he was a bit wacky, and unfunny, and unsuited to Entertainment type roles/DJ'ing. Then he got his own show and allowed do what he wanted to do, and he did great. I have a feeling John Murrays problem is a form of micro-management by a producer(s) in RTE. I have heard him do serious interviews and he makes Tubridy sound like an amateur.

Little over the top there Syk.

Murray at best is a hack who is of average talent, nothing special.

Third division at best

Let's stop deifying him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

Gotta agree there, Mistah Flutt.
    What you hear is what you get. He's pretty sub-par punching in a slot way way above his weight. He can thank his lucky stars that he is preceded by Morning Ireland or things would be a lot worse a lot quicker.
    Even the quality of his voice is enough to make be want to exit this temporal existence - and that's not including the heavy Doobalin accent.

When he started out, I thought he'd be grand in that slot based on his time on The Business or even Morning Ireland, but an hour a day of him carrying that show is a disaster. Get Rid, RTE, fast.

Gotta agree there, Mistah Flutt.
    What you hear is what you get. He's pretty sub-par punching in a slot way way above his weight. He can thank his lucky stars that he is preceded by Morning Ireland or things would be a lot worse a lot quicker.
    Even the quality of his voice is enough to make be want to exit this temporal existence - and that's not including the heavy Doobalin accent.

When he started out, I thought he'd be grand in that slot based on his time on The Business or even Morning Ireland, but an hour a day of him carrying that show is a disaster. Get Rid, RTE, fast.

Indeed Mr. Timmy, I'm sure as soon as Kia pull the sponsorship it's gonzo for John.

Strictly a bit player in this posters opinion. Whole show is pitched wrongly in my opinion which gives John little or no chance.

Voice quality is terrible running over the rrrrs like a river over smooth stones.

maybe should go back to being a political hack.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,441 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

John's interview with David Soul today (01 Jun 110 nearly ended uplike this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxaTs0pFk4U

JM was dragging up someting from 30 years ago about Soul and his then wife and then JM got Soul's current parent surname wrong

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

this show is dire, i have to listen to it at work a lot. His voice really really anoys me and i just dont like his stlye....and that stupid music theme they keep playing aarrrrrghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!:mad: bring back katherine thomas for this hour pleasseeeeeeeee.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I'm convinced at this stage that the show is actually a satire show a la Alan Patridge.

That said, it still doesn't make it funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭macroboy

impossible to listen to this john fool for over 2 minutes..

that beats tubridy by 2 seconds.

if he has any kids or family..i can only wish them peace and harmony ..
    as dinner in the evening must be a nightmare beyond compare.

for the love of god john-get off the air

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

dvcireland wrote: »
    John's interview with David Soul today (01 Jun 110 nearly ended uplike this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxaTs0pFk4U

JM was dragging up someting from 30 years ago about Soul and his then wife and then JM got Soul's current parent surname wrong

But hold on, ala the Gibson clip, if John Murray did not refer to what he did, he would be lashed out of it here for giving a soft interview. Thats why so many interviewers probably dont ask questions about private lives, like Tubridy didnt with Ronan Keating, for fear that they will get annoyed and make fools out of the presenters by saying things like "cant we move on, why do you want to bring up the past, thats a private matter" and so on.

So with John Murrays interview this morning, damed if he did and damned if he didnt and the same goes for that poor guy interviewing Gibson, he had every right to ask what he did but ended up looking like a tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,441 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Derryleigh wrote: »
    But hold on, ala the Gibson clip, if John Murray did not refer to what he did, he would be lashed out of it here for giving a soft interview. Thats why so many interviewers probably dont ask questions about private lives, like Tubridy didnt with Ronan Keating, for fear that they will get annoyed and make fools out of the presenters by saying things like "cant we move on, why do you want to bring up the past, thats a private matter" and so on.

So with John Murrays interview this morning, damed if he did and damned if he didnt and the same goes for that poor guy interviewing Gibson, he had every right to ask what he did but ended up looking like a tool.
    Good point. I had another listen, with hindsight I don't think David Soul was annoyed as I first thought.

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bobba Fett

Seems the JMS have lost their sponsorship with Kia. I'm not surprised to be honest. It's been coming for a while now. Terrible show.

• Advertisement

Any source for that Bobba?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

He had newsreader Michael Murray on as a guest this morning psychoanalysing the meaning of dreams as texted in by listeners (I never knew yer man did anything else bar read the news but he seems to be some sort of qualified psychologist).

Murray the host treated the whole thing like a joke * - exactly as Partridge would do.

Is he a serious guy trying to be funny (and failing)?

* - he said he dreamt last night that Man Utd beat Barcelona in the Champions League and Robbie Keane scored the winner and asked what subliminal message this conveyed - hillarious :confused:

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    He had newsreader Michael Murray on as a guest this morning psychoanalysing the meaning of dreams as texted in by listeners (I never knew yer man did anything else bar read the news but he seems to be some sort of qualified psychologist).

Murray the host treated the whole thing like a joke * - exactly as Partridge would do.

Is he a serious guy trying to be funny (and failing)?

* - he said he dreamt last night that Man Utd beat Barcelona in the Champions League and Robbie Keane scored the winner and asked what subliminal message this conveyed - hillarious :confused:
    Caught Micheal Murphy peddling this guff on Mooney couple of years back, seriously lacking credibility then even in the context of the usual fluff Mooney churns out daily.
    I can't help feeling the end is in sight for dear old "Tumbleweed John" if he is giving this sort of nonsense an airing.

Caught Micheal Murphy peddling this guff on Mooney couple of years back, seriously lacking credibility then even in the context of the usual fluff Mooney churns out daily.

yeah I heard it too..It's very odd that RTE should have one of their most respected newsreaders on the air talking about this sort of stuff.. Surely as a newsreader, he should be trying to hold on to all the credibility he has garnered over years of his professional reading of the news.. ?
    Seems the JMS have lost their sponsorship with Kia

Surprised that they have pulled the plug so quickly.. They should have asked Kia for a seven year warranty on the sponsorship..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

I can't help feeling the end is in sight for dear old "Tumbleweed John" if he is giving this sort of nonsense an airing.

Sorry - Micheal Murray Murphy

He seems to do it professionally though, for money I mean? Although his references to his clients rather than patients sounded a bit off I must admit

But the main point is, if you are going to have a guest on your show, and the guest takes it seriously, then shouldnt the host have a bit of respect and not be trying to make a complete joke of the guy's area of interest?

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Sorry - Micheal Murray Murphy

He seems to do it professionally though, for money I mean? Although his references to his clients rather than patients sounded a bit off I must admit

But the main point is, if you are going to have a guest on your show, and the guest takes it seriously, then shouldnt the host have a bit of respect and not be trying to make a complete joke of the guy's area of interest?
    As far as I recall from Mooney show interview he said he had a "practice" somewhere so must be reeling in the suckers.
    Of course you are dead right in your point regarding Murray's behaviour, way too much to expect him to set personal feelings aside and remain balanced and impartial.:rolleyes:

yeah I heard it too..It's very odd that RTE should have one of their most respected newsreaders on the air talking about this sort of stuff.. Surely as a newsreader, he should be trying to hold on to all the credibility he has garnered over years of his professional reading of the news.. ?

Surprised that they have pulled the plug so quickly.. They should have asked Kia for a seven year warranty on the sponsorship..
    Ah now! This is RTE we are talking about, that lot are never shy about giving one of there own a leg up.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I heard that Michael Murphy interview. Is he a qualified psychiatrist or psychologist? Or is he more in the realms of reiki/crystals/snake oil?

I heard that Michael Murphy interview. Is he a qualified psychiatrist or psychologist? Or is he more in the realms of reiki/crystals/snake oil?
    Dream Interpretor. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

He's a psychoanalyst. Apparently he has a busy practice. It seems a bit odd to be combining that with newsreading if you ask me.

Advertisement