Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Due September 2015

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

je551e wrote: »
    What milk formula you all thinking of using? I'm going to try breastfeeding but want to have one picked as backup, Aptimal seems to be recommended.

Main three are SMA, Aptimel and C&G.

Aptimel is of a lighter consistency than the other two, and it is therefore closer to breastmilk, so often recommended for combined feeding so it's not too different for the baby. However it is also a LOT more expensive. Considering you'll be using it for a year, and it's not recommended to chop and change formula, those few euro per tin really would add up to quite a lot of money!

The advantage of SMA and C&G is that they're of a heavier consistency and therefore more likely to stay down in refluxy/spitty babies. We used SMA from the start, and our baby still had reflux and puked after each feed up until six months or so. However he's always loved his milk, and never had problems with weight gain etc, so we stuck with it. To be honest I'd probably use SMA again with the next baby (which will be happening on the 12th of never!), I don't know if the SMA helped with the reflux or made it worse, but he always loved it anyways. Also - I always found their helpliine extremely good. I ended up with a lot of random questions about number of ounces, sterilising queries etc, and I always got very comprehensive knowledgeable answers. Great to have someone informed at the end of the line when you need it!

I've heard Hipp Organic mentioned lately too, I don't know much about it but it might be another one to look into. Price would be a concern for me when it comes to something with Organic in the name, and I'm guessing the ingredients are probably not much different to the other brands anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

Main three are SMA, Aptimel and C&G.

Aptimel is of a lighter consistency than the other two, and it is therefore closer to breastmilk, so often recommended for combined feeding so it's not too different for the baby. However it is also a LOT more expensive. Considering you'll be using it for a year, and it's not recommended to chop and change formula, those few euro per tin really would add up to quite a lot of money!

Thanks for your reply some very helpful information there. Just checked the prices and there's at least €2 extra for Aptamil.. That's a lot was thinking of the combined feeding so that's why it interested me. Will have to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

My baby seems to be lying with all of his/her weight pressed against my right side. I can see and feel a big bulge all along that side, beneath my ribcage. It has been uncomfortable all day. I think I'm gonna have to try getting on all fours or something to make him/her move!

If I were you I wouldn't leave it until the morning. I'd be in straight away, right now, for a check.

Things do go wrong, and you're far enough along in the pregnancy that the baby would probably be OK if they had to do an emergency section or something, if the baby is in bother.

Hopefully it'll be a wasted journey. But the doctors and midwives would always rather you wasted a journey in, than leaving it until the next day when it may be too late to do anything.

You know what's normal for you.

I went to hospital ended up being kept in for a couple of days just to monitor, was having mini contractions but they settled again since so just have to rest now so I don't aggravate them again.

Baby is very active last couple of days which is great. Thanks for advice.

Hope you are all feeling well.

Novella wrote: »
    My baby seems to be lying with all of his/her weight pressed against my right side. I can see and feel a big bulge all along that side, beneath my ribcage. It has been uncomfortable all day. I think I'm gonna have to try getting on all fours or something to make him/her move!

Mine seems to be getting so strong gave me a kick into the ribs yesterday which were sore..thankfully baby moved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Just to add to je551es post, aptamil and cow and gate are both made by the same company danone uk.
    I'm still not sure which milk to go for myself buy the price tag on aptamil is certainly putting me off

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Tilly Tally

je551es - glad everything is ok with the baby again. Its horrible getting scares like that. With regards formula, I was doing combination feeding first time and probably plan to do it again. I only used Aptamil and never had any reflux problems or anything like that with it. It is more expensive but you can often find it on offer, especially in Boots or Dunnes. Then you just need to stock up on it!

Had 34 week gp check up on Tuesday and I swear she might as well have been doing an internal examination cos she dug down so far into my pelvis. It was a locum and I said to her that I thought baby was nearly engaged so she was checking head position. I was sore for the rest of the evening. But apparently baby is half engaged and has dropped deep into my pelvis. She was questioning me working up to 38 weeks but I don't feel like I'll go early. Baby no.1 was engaged very early too and I ended up being induced 10 days over!

How is everyone else feeling?

je551es - glad everything is ok with the baby again. Its horrible getting scares like that. With regards formula, I was doing combination feeding first time and probably plan to do it again. I only used Aptamil and never had any reflux problems or anything like that with it. It is more expensive but you can often find it on offer, especially in Boots or Dunnes. Then you just need to stock up on it!

Had 34 week gp check up on Tuesday and I swear she might as well have been doing an internal examination cos she dug down so far into my pelvis. It was a locum and I said to her that I thought baby was nearly engaged so she was checking head position. I was sore for the rest of the evening. But apparently baby is half engaged and has dropped deep into my pelvis. She was questioning me working up to 38 weeks but I don't feel like I'll go early. Baby no.1 was engaged very early too and I ended up being induced 10 days over!

How is everyone else feeling?

Thanks, great to hear the combined feeding worked for you.

That's awful that the internal was so sore. Shouldn't be that bad. Doctors said to me baby's head is starting to engage I'm 34 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Tilly Tally

Well it was a locum rather than my own gp so hopefully I won't see her again! But I know what's coming with sweeps, internal exams and labour so this really is only a small complaint and small amount of discomfort!

Does anyone on Domino scheme know whether they'll do a scan on next appointment to check position of baby or placenta or sizes? My next appointment in Aug 20th which will be nearly 37 weeks and then I don't have another until Sept 17th at 41 weeks which I'm hoping not to make! I haven't had a scan since 22 weeks for anatomy scan.

• Advertisement

Think I've lost some of my mucus plug, (TMI here but) slight green lumpy discharge.

Would this be it? If so how long after did labour start for any STM on here? Also have slight lower back pain since yesterday but not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Kaylami

je551e wrote: »
    Think I've lost some of my mucus plug, (TMI here but) slight green lumpy discharge.

Would this be it? If so how long after did labour start for any STM on here? Also have slight lower back pain since yesterday but not bad.

Unfortunately it can regenerate. So not necessarily the beginning.

I've been losing bits since 28 weeks.
    So long as it's not blood stained it's nothing to worry about.

But as always if your concerned best to get checked!

Kaylami wrote: »
    Unfortunately it can regenerate. So not necessarily the beginning.

I've been losing bits since 28 weeks.
    So long as it's not blood stained it's nothing to worry about.

But as always if your concerned best to get checked!

That's good to know it can regenerate, I'm not too worried really more curious to know was it a sign of impending labour. Have had BH with weeks now.

You poor thing! I'm starting to feel the cramps every night and it's driving me crazy!

You poor thing! I'm starting to feel the cramps every night and it's driving me crazy!

Thanks , hope yours ease. Will be worth it all though.

Do they check for dialation near the end of pregnancy as part of your routine checkups?

Just curious what to expect

• Advertisement

Not in my experience. I think the will offer a internal from 40 weeks onwards.

Thanks Kaylami, have an appointment next week and was wondering what to expect

How many weeks will you be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

je551e wrote:
    Do they check for dialation near the end of pregnancy as part of your routine checkups?

I'm getting checked this week with my own doctor who I've been doing my antenatal care with. She's a gynae doc though. I will be exactly 40 weeks. No internal done in hospital yet last appt was 39+2

How many weeks will you be?

I'll be 34 weeks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Hi girls hope everyone's keeping well?Im on another site and the advise I have read is you don't drop your pants unless your in labour there is no need to do any VE.Ive read a horrible story of Dr deciding to do a sweep on patient who's 37 weeks because he wanted to hurry things along without informing patient :eek:The woman is in bits as she never agreed to this.So just giving you a heads up.Did you all do your birthplans?ive to get mine signed off next week.....If the hospital don't agree with mine I'll be transferring I'm sure there won't be a problem.

I'm feeling very pissed off with the hospital in general.

I wanted to see a consultant and will have to wait another 2 weeks.

texas star wrote: »
    Hi girls hope everyone's keeping well?Im on another site and the advise I have read is you don't drop your pants unless your in labour there is no need to do any VE.Ive read a horrible story of Dr deciding to do a sweep on patient who's 37 weeks because he wanted to hurry things along without informing patient :eek:The woman is in bits as she never agreed to this.So just giving you a heads up.Did you all do your birthplans?ive to get mine signed off next week.....If the hospital don't agree with mine I'll be transferring I'm sure there won't be a problem.

That's good to know. That's was awful for that poor woman.

No birthplan by me just going to see how things go and hope for the best.

I'm feeling very pissed off with the hospital in general.

I wanted to see a consultant and will have to wait another 2 weeks.

How many weeks are you? That's a pity, did you see a second in command or was it a midwife.

Well I don't want to see any of my crowd.I took my hubby in last time and she was nice as pie to me :mad:So he's coming to next appointment cause I know we will have problems with birth preference.Hes going to handle it practise for the big day :)

Can I ask why you aren't doing a birth plan Je551e its really just a guideline for yourself and hospital of what you want done otherwise your giving free way to hospital to do whatever they want.Each to there own so please don't take me up wrong.Maybe it's just the training I've been doing with Gentle birth.Im just questioning every thing instead of going along with what I'm being told.For me it's such a special day delivering my baby to the midwife she won't remember me the following day it's just her job.

No just MW in my clinic texas star.
    I'm hoping to be induced for a few reasons. I'll be 37 weeks by the time I even get to see the Dr.

I have no birth plan either just go with the flow. I never did one for the girls and I'm glad because I don't think 1 of them would have gone to plan!

I have 3 stubborn ladies!

Ahhh but you know what to expect.I just hope I'm in and out in a jiffy lol

Can I ask why you aren't doing a birth plan Je551e its really just a guideline for yourself and hospital of what you want done otherwise your giving free way to hospital to do whatever they want.Each to there own so please don't take me up wrong.Maybe it's just the training I've been doing with Gentle birth.Im just questioning every thing instead of going along with what I'm being told.For me it's such a special day delivering my baby to the midwife she won't remember me the following day it's just her job.

Suppose I just feel that it's a hard thing to plan and baby will do what he/she decides only thing I'm sure of is I will take any pain relief offered if I need it.

No offence taken at all , I too am very curious as what everyone else's views :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

I haven't really made an official birth plan either.
    I don't want to get too hung up on the details as, based on previous experience, I believe the chances of things going according to plan for me are slim!
    The only plan I have is to have baby delivered safely, whether that's au natural, with epidural & pain meds on board or by c-section.

Actually, the one thing I have specified to my husband is that I do NOT want pethidine, it made me bonkers last time!!

Am 34+4 today, popping in for growth scan this afternoon
    (routine for gestational diabetes, to make sure I'm not incubating a giant cookie monster!)...
    Fingers crossed all will be well :)

Hope everyone is doing well x

• Advertisement

I've made a birth plan, mainly because I am giving birth in the US and I want to avoid some of their standard practices. I don't want to be put on IV fluid upon admission for example (fine with IV's if I need one for a medical reason, of course) and I don't want the anesthesiologist to visit my room unless I request an epidural at some stage. Things like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

We still don't know the sex, so the only thing I have written down is that my husband will tell me if we have a son or daughter. That's really important to me.

Everything else will just go how it goes, I have no preference for anything in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

PandaPoo wrote: »
    We still don't know the sex, so the only thing I have written down is that my husband will tell me if we have a son or daughter. That's really important to me.

Everything else will just go how it goes, I have no preference for anything in particular.

Thats a lovely idea

PandaPoo wrote: »
    We still don't know the sex, so the only thing I have written down is that my husband will tell me if we have a son or daughter

I also like that idea, think I may steal it if you dont mind.

Anyone suffering with hives all over? The Itch is just crazy, heading to the doctor to see if he can do anything for me.

How is everyone keeping?

Only 9 days left in august !

I'm getting awful pains on my left side today and baby is moving around like crazy in there. Due in two weeks but feeling crappy right now. How is everyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I'm up every single night now. I just can't seem to sleep. Really infuriating.

It will be just my luck that I get feck all sleep, then just when I'm going for a lie down some afternoon I'll go into labour. Then I'll have the baby and never sleep again!!

I can't believe how close it is now, the last few weeks have gone quite slowly but overall it's flown in since we found out in January. My 5 year old is starting school on the 31st so it would be great to go a few days before that, then my husband will be off for 2 weeks and can bring him to school :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Im with you all on the lack of sleep even tho im not due until 5th oct....

Bet all the partners and husbands dont have that problem just like my own husband, who is sounding like a fog horn next to me ☺

Hi everyone I had a nite in hotel rotunda lol high BP and though preclamicia.All ok.Yep I'm over pregnancy now would like to meet my little person NOW,37 weeks today.:D

• Advertisement

Exhausted here too. Crazy with hives which doctor said can happen in pregnancy and nothing I can really do.

Getting cramps every night now. Finding that tough and they seem to be getting stronger they ease off by day.

Not long to go hard to believe it's almost September

That's tough texas star! Hope your feeling a bit better.

Novella only 2 weeks you lucky thing!

My little one is back to school Friday 28th. I can't wait to have the routine back tbh!

Booked for a sweep for Tuesday and Thursday. Trying everything I can to get this little lady evicted!

Men can sleep through anything. I was in holles street Thursday night and like that there was men asleep in the ward while their partners are labouring! I'd kill him.

Je551e I had tiny red lumps all over bump and under boobs mad itchy.I stopped using all products and started cocowel organic extra virgin coconut oil and within a day they where gone I'd had them over a few weeks.I did some research and have decide I'm going to stay away from Vaseline and sudocream and just use this on baby and on me.If anyone is interested just google benefits for mammy and newborns coconut oil so many benefits,unbelievable.Maybe I'm just behind the time lol.Kaylami I wish u all the best in your sweep I know how you feel.If my hubby fell asleep on me he'd be X hubby :D

Je551e I had tiny red lumps all over bump and under boobs mad itchy.I stopped using all products and started cocowel organic extra virgin coconut oil and within a day they where gone I'd had them over a few weeks.I did some research and have decide I'm going to stay away from Vaseline and sudocream and just use this on baby and on me.If anyone is interested just google benefits for mammy and newborns coconut oil so many benefits,unbelievable.Maybe I'm just behind the time lol.Kaylami I wish u all the best in your sweep I know how you feel.If my hubby fell asleep on me he'd be X hubby :D

Thanks texas star will definitely try that.
    Hope everyone is feeling ok this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

36 weeks today, the finish line is in sight! Doctor in the Rotunda signed me off work last week due to back pain, so glad as it's a very physical job and I was really struggling.
    My first little (big) boy is starting secondary school on Wednesday, will be good to get back into a routine.

Have started getting bad heartburn, it keeps me awake some nights :(
    Otherwise everything is great with baby, though I'm getting a bit fed up with pregnancy and just want to meet my little person!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 littlebean

Hi all,

I haven't posted here in a while. I'm due in 2 and half weeks. I've enjoyed pregnancy but I'm ready to meet my little person!!

Anyone else feeling alot of pressure? I had a scan today and the head is very low so I'm back next week again.

Just wondering if any of yo are doing perineal massage and if it is beneficial?

• Advertisement

littlebean wrote: »
    Hi all,

I haven't posted here in a while. I'm due in 2 and half weeks. I've enjoyed pregnancy but I'm ready to meet my little person!!

Anyone else feeling alot of pressure? I had a scan today and the head is very low so I'm back next week again.

Just wondering if any of yo are doing perineal massage and if it is beneficial?

Don't do perineum massage but have been using the EPO.

Have had 2 babies and no tears si I swear by it!

When you say using , is that tablet form ? Is it too late for me to start? I've 5 weeks to go

• Registered Users Posts: 19 littlebean

I didn't even think of the EPO, I wonder would it be too late to try at 37 weeks??? I suppose it cant hurt

Je551e - yep the capsules. I've been inserting them "down there" since 34 weeks. But you can take orally or just pop them and use the oil to massage.

Littlebean - never too late to start using them.

Our month :D how's everyone feeling?

Finding night time the hardest, can't get comfortable at all

• Advertisement
Advertisement