Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fathers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Hello Brian, same as myself, first one is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Jumping back into this thread after a year, my little lad turned 1 last Staurday. To everyone waiting their first, it will all be worth it! Relax, try to enjoy the whole process and the early days, they really go by so fast. Unashamedly take pictures and videos of every squeal and burp, the next months will go by so fast and the changes will be so dramatic that you'll forget what they were like in the early days. Relax, relax, relax and enjoy, another couple of months and you'll wonder what you were ever so stressed and worried about!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Mc Love wrote: »
    Hello Brian, same as myself, first one is it?

That it is... I've been informed that because I won a cafe I'm fairly sorted for the prerequisite for early parenting, coffee!!!

It's all very exciting in fairness. Got a few books and that to read on it. Rather sadly I'm contemplating talking to the bump now that it's appearing!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭fernandohierro

I'm a first time father to be checking in here too. The other half is due in January.

Can't wait for it but getting worried I'm focussing too much on the good times that await us. I don't even know how to change a nappy or feed a baby.

Can anyone recommend a book or website that are more focussed on becoming a father? Or should I stick to reading any baby book? We already have the 'pregnancy bible'.

I'm a first time father to be checking in here too. The other half is due in January.

Can't wait for it but getting worried I'm focussing too much on the good times that await us. I don't even know how to change a nappy or feed a baby.

Can anyone recommend a book or website that are more focussed on becoming a father? Or should I stick to reading any baby book? We already have the 'pregnancy bible'.

I've been hanging out with more babies recently to prepare, that's about it. Ordered. Few books to read online too. They get here soon.

Also, I always signed you in Championship Manager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Some of the shorter books are decent, gets you in the mindset as much as anything. But don't bother with reference books or the like. Useless in real terms because they're written with the average child in mind and every child differs from the average.

We had a couple of the bigger books and once or twice used them to see if we could figure out what that weird spot was or how to cure nappyrash and despite being large books they had no practical information. Friends and family were by far the best source of actual help.

Even down to the simple stuff - a book will tell you that when the child is teething to try and calm them down with cuddles and buy teething aids and if it's really bad speak to your GP about what you can give the child in the way of analgesic.

And then when you've tried the book's method and haven't slept in 3 days, your family will tell you to give them Calpol and Neurofen, every four hours on the dot, and that will put an end to it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The Haynes Baby Manual was an interesting read whilst waiting for junior to arrive, although I believe the first edition was more like a proper Haynes Manual than the new version.

It's my first too and when we were in the maternity, the lady at reception said January is going to be a busy month!

TV must be fairly bad in March/April

brianblaze wrote: »
    TV must be fairly bad in March/April

My thinking was it was the good feeling factor with the nice weather we had as my OH's sister is also due around the same time with her second!

• Advertisement

So, realised the wife will be pretty much half way there in two weeks! That's scary how fast time is going!

How we all getting on lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

How we all getting on lads?

Excited and nervous in equal measure our little one is 13 months who's walking climbing and feeding herself already and will be joined in 4 weeks all going well by her little brother or sister.

I think it will be brilliant you quickly forget how small they can be and also hectic.

Big scan for us on Monday evening and we find out what model of baby we've ordered! All good with herself, got a few bits for the nursery sorted this week too. Equal measures excitement and nervous. Can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

So I guess I should join in here. My wife is 14 weeks gone since Monday. We've been trying for 4 years at this stage. My wife has a low amh (low egg reserve) so we it was kind of a case of not necessarily ovulating.

Had two IVF cycles last year, the first of which resulted in a miscarriage, the second no joy at all and just quite a bad cycle overall. Decided this year that we'd go with a donor egg to increase our chances. We were waiting for a new identifiable programme to start up in the SIMS before we could start. Came back from our holiday in France with a baby in tow!

Have had a bit of a rough time. We had a really early scan (around 6 weeks) because my wife had some spotting. All was good but then she had pretty heavy bleeding and cramping a day or two later (on a Friday). We were almost certain we'd lost it but a scan on the Monday showed all was ok but there was a tear where the baby implanted so it's what they call a threatened miscarriage.

All ok since and have had another few scans. It's amazing to see how much the baby develops from week 10 to 12! In with our consultant tomorrow so hopefully everything continues to be good.

Kind of at the point where it's starting to feel real now because it just seemed too good to be true, considering the trouble we've had!

Hope all is well with everyone else here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

28 weeks in our house. Tbh were both ridiculously excited the way unknowingly naive first time parents can be :-)

Mrs vagga all good, tired but all good apart from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

We've just over 12 weeks to go until baby number 2 arrives. 1st born is just over 2 now and depending on her mood she can either be excited about a new baby or else doesn't want one! It's obviously playing on her mind as she keeps bringing it up with us as well as her aunt who minds her when we're in work.

We're trying to make it seem like an exciting thing for her. We went to visit a friend recently who just had a new baby. Our little one was over looking at him and touching him gently on the arm/face etc. we were thinking "that's a good thing that she's being so gentle"....... then the new baby started to cry.... her hand went straight over his face! :eek:

Anyway, the wife is doing well - looking forward to finishing up work. Can't wait to have a new baby in the house - especially as I'll have some time off over Christmas with no studying to do for the first time in 4 years! It's true that they grow up so fast and you forget how small and fragile they are!

We're looking at getting rid of the single pram we have and buying a double one. Any recommendations for one that would suit both a new baby & a 2 yr old?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

tempnam wrote: »
    We've just over 12 weeks to go until baby number 2 arrives. 1st born is just over 2 now and depending on her mood she can either be excited about a new baby or else doesn't want one! It's obviously playing on her mind as she keeps bringing it up with us as well as her aunt who minds her when we're in work.

We're trying to make it seem like an exciting thing for her. We went to visit a friend recently who just had a new baby. Our little one was over looking at him and touching him gently on the arm/face etc. we were thinking "that's a good thing that she's being so gentle"....... then the new baby started to cry.... her hand went straight over his face! :eek:

Anyway, the wife is doing well - looking forward to finishing up work. Can't wait to have a new baby in the house - especially as I'll have some time off over Christmas with no studying to do for the first time in 4 years! It's true that they grow up so fast and you forget how small and fragile they are!

We're looking at getting rid of the single pram we have and buying a double one. Any recommendations for one that would suit both a new baby & a 2 yr old?

Congrats :)

We just went with the baby jogger city select in mothercare.

We dint want a side by side they always look like a nightmare to get around shops.

The babyjogger feels solid takes the car seat, has lots of variations positional wise and the one the kids isn't practically sitting on the floor with there face in the rear end of there sibling like some the double buggies.

We started using it two weeks ago and been brilliant so far.

Sorry it can also be used as a single buggy.

Had our gender scan yesterday and pleased that the baby is healthy and kicking about like a UFC fighter!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Mc Love wrote: »
    Had our gender scan yesterday and pleased that the baby is healthy and kicking about like a UFC fighter!

Yeah at our 10-week scan, the little fella (easier to go with boy until we know!) was jumping around. Then at 12 weeks, he was leapinh all around the place, kicking arms and legs. The midwife gave us a long scan so we were watching for ages. He put on a right show!

• Advertisement

Is anyone doing the "babymoon" thing and getting away before it all kicks off? I'd love to but we both work for ourselves so might be tough. Just concerned we'd regret not getting some quality us time in before the onslaught of nappy-geddon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Is anyone doing the "babymoon" thing and getting away before it all kicks off? I'd love to but we both work for ourselves so might be tough. Just concerned we'd regret not getting some quality us time in before the onslaught of nappy-geddon!

We did briefly, a 2 night trip to West Cork when I was 31 weeks. I was admitted at 36 weeks and baby born a few days later so I'm glad we went early enough! It was lovely, if tiring, we're both self employed too but we both can usually get 2 days off together the odd time if we plan in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

We were in for a gestational diabetes test this week, somewhat ironic that afterwards other half gets a lunch voucher for hospital cafe... where its pretty exclusively stocked with various sugar filled goodness..

We're off next week for a week in the sun, doctor letters sorted this week. Nice hotel with a pool, on the beach, but less than 3 hours flying, and a short hop in a taxi on the other side.

A few days would be nice alright but I have been made redundant :( and herself is still working. Hoping to find something new in the mean time.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

10/11 weeks left in my household. Second child. Due in or around my daughters birthday, although there will be a 12 year gap (ready made baby sitter I hear you say!).

Getting lots of stuff ready at the moment. Wife is due to finish up mid October. Taking my time off in December, so off for over 3 weeks solid (can't wait!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

A few hours left here til our first is expected and it's all very exciting. The thoughts that we'll be leaving with a baby is surreal.

thee glitz wrote: »
    A few hours left here til our first is expected and it's all very exciting. The thoughts that we'll be leaving with a baby is surreal.

First baby?

It is surreal when it comes time to take mammy & baby home. For me it was anyway. You suddenly get hit with an overwhelming "Oh god I can't believe they're letting me walk out of here with this little tiny person, and I'm the one responsible for keeping him/her alive! - what do I do?!?!"

After the initial panic wears off and you're knee-deep in shitty nappies you just adapt and naturally take to it!

Best of luck anyway! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Yes, that's exactly it. Are they really serious about leaving these 2 in my care..!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Does anyone have any tips for my husband? We're having a baby in the next two weeks and he's looking for practical advice, the books are great but obviously long and the message gets lost!

• Advertisement

PandaPoo wrote: »
    Does anyone have any tips for my husband? We're having a baby in the next two weeks and he's looking for practical advice, the books are great but obviously long and the message gets lost!

Babies (even new born) are a lot tougher than they look!

For me, learning to change the baby's nappy on my lap instead of having to use a changing table and/or changing mat was a good, practical 'skill' to have. My wife was able to do it straight away having been around her niece & nephew as babies but I was terrified of the baby rolling off or dropping her!

It's a good thing to be able to do as it doesn't limit you to where you can go when out & about and the baby needs changing.

Baby changing rooms are not always the cleanest in shopping centres etc.

you can also just sit into your car and change the babies nappy in a flash if you're out somewhere with nowhere available to take the baby to be changed.

Advertisement