Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

HigginsJ wrote: »
    He could do ok as a very bit part player (5th choice on depth chart would be most you would want him to be) He left us for a year to join the Jags on a 3 year $15 million deal but was released after a year of less than sterling play.

Honestly would be surprised if he made a 53 at this point in time
    Knex. wrote: »
    I'll put it this way, I would be annoyed to see him on the Giants roster this year.

If he signed for a minimum, then its not so bad. He's a decent fella, so it seems, and its not like Ravens will need him to start. His best days are well behind him, however, and I wouldn't think he ever quite fulfilled that 1st round pick.

Well this went nowhere. Training camp was over for Aaron Ross before it even began.

Tore his achilles during the conditioning test and goes on IR. An injury settlement will be worked out and the Ravens and Ross will part ways

Thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Well this went nowhere. Training camp was over for Aaron Ross before it even began.

Tore his achilles during the conditioning test and goes on IR. An injury settlement will be worked out and the Ravens and Ross will part ways

Thanks for the info

Jaysus. Hearing about players injuries both depress and terrify me. I feel for the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Giants-release-first-unofficial-depth-chart-/4170b39c-8167-432a-b3e9-4bc92f883986

Our first unofficial depth chart, I know it's early days but clearly the big surprise is Adrien Robinson being listed so far down the depth chart

EAST RUTHERFORD -- It was a light day on the field Thursday at Giants training camp. The team practiced for just 70 minutes -- compared to the originally scheduled 130 minutes -- and finished with a 20-minute "recovery stretch" inside their practice bubble. In between, quarterback Eli Manning looked to be making progress with the new offense.

The ball was consistently out quick. The throws were, for the most part, on the money. It was a strong day for the Giants' starting quarterback.

Manning looked especially comfortable with his top target, Victor Cruz. They appeared to be on the same page and connected on several big players (see below).

The offense looks to be making progress after a slow start to camp.

"There are always going to be small gains," coach Tom Coughlin said after practice. "You may have a good day, but it is the consistency factor, the competition factor, working against good people, it's the intelligent communication adjustments from the quarterbacks to the entire offense to the receiver corps. You're striving every day."

Wednesday was a lighter workout than the first two practices of training camp, even it was 79 degrees and cloudy. Everything finally becomes more real in the next few days. Players will be on the field in uppers (shoulder pads) on Friday for the first time this summer. They will have full pads and start hitting/tackling Sunday following their first day off of training camp this year.

---

• Practice began with some Giants catching punts. The usuals (Trindon Holliday, Rueben Randle, Victor Cruz) were there. Even the still hobbled Odell Beckham Jr. caught on, too. But so was David Wilson. He surprisingly shagged a few punts.

The Giants had talked about holding him back a little bit, most notably as a returner since he was just cleared from a serious neck injury earlier this week. But Wilson returned some kickoffs on Wednesday and got involved in some punts on Thursday. It has to be viewed as a sign that he's doing well physically, even if he hasn't taken his first hit.

• Cruz and Manning connected with regularity throughout the practice. Most were quick, timing passes, and would have been big gains. One was a quick slant, another a deep slant and there was also a quick out that resulted in a touchdown. This offense seems ideal for Cruz, who does much of his damage after the catch.

• Daniel Fells was the first tight end on the field Tuesday and Wednesday. It was Larry Donnell's turn on Thursday. Donnell impressed Coughlin the previous day, and made a big play downfield early in practice on Thursday, finding a gap between the linebackers and safeties on a deep slant. Manning delivered a pinpoint pass for the big gain.

• After a rough afternoon the previous day, backup quarterback Ryan Nassib's first pass in 11-on-11 drills was batted back in his face by defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka. Nassib again looked uninspiring, often holding onto the ball too long in the pocket.

On one play, Nassib rolled out left and had Mario Manningham open on a comeback route near the sideline. Nassib didn't pull the trigger and held onto the ball for a good five seconds before throwing an awkward jump-pass to tight end Kellen Davis. Nassib still has plenty of room for improvement. He has a tendency to throw an inordinate amount of wobblers, too.

• The quarterbacks spent an entire period of practice working on rollouts. Manning, Nassib and Curtis Painter aren't the most mobile group, but they all looked serviceable throwing the ball on the run. Better than I thought.

• Kiwanuka had an impressive practice. He was in the backfield to blow up a running play batted down the Nassib pass and pressured Manning on a player moments later. It was a good day for Kiwanuka.

• Rookie running back Andre Williams didn't look good catching the ball. This was a concern coming into camp. During a pass-catching drill, the B.C. product completely missed a swing pass out near the right sideline. It appeared he picked up the ball, which was thrown with good pace, rather late.

In 11-on-11 drills, Williams dropped an easy screen pass on his first practice rep of the day. Later he caught a pass with his facemask. Williams still has some work to do here in training camp. He wasn't much of a pass-catcher in high school or at Boston College. He'll need to improve in order to be a major factor in this offense.

• Fellow rookie Devon Kennard looked good in footwork drills with the linebackers. His feet never stop moving and he changes direction rather fluently for a 250-pounder. Veteran Jameel McClain also looked light on his feet despite a foot injury that knocked him out of practice on Tuesday. Spencer Paysinger looked a bit sluggish and slow.

• The play of the day came from the pride of Newberry College, wide receiver Corey Washington. The 6-foot-4 Washington made a ridiculous one-handed catch with two defenders draped on his shoulder on a pass from Painter. The crowd went wild.

• Sight of the Day: A fan in the crowd wearing an Eli Manning Ole Miss helmet. Sick.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/07/giants_training_camp_practice_report_day_4_eli_manning_looks_sharp_in_new_offense.html#incart_river

Nassib still doing poor. I've seen some footage, and its almost worse than last year at times. Not good.

Really does sound like Nassib will be a pair of wasted draft picks :(

Cards used the 2 picks on Earl Watford & Andre Ellington. Know nothing of Watford but I sure as hell wouldn't mind having Ellington on board

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

I see the ravens just picked up will hill

Be very interesting in seeing how his career pans out from now.

Also, calling it now, Nassib won't make the 53. More footage of wobbly passes, interceptions, panicking when put under pressure. If you have complaints about Eli, this guy will drive you insane.

Be very interesting in seeing how his career pans out from now.

Also, calling it now, Nassib won't make the 53. More footage of wobbly passes, interceptions, panicking when put under pressure. If you have complaints about Eli, this guy will drive you insane.

It is very disappointing really. We will really look to have to invest a relatively high pick in a QB next year (potentially 2nd rounder in someone like Sean Mannion or Kevin Hogan)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

It is very disappointing really. We will really look to have to invest a relatively high pick in a QB next year (potentially 2nd rounder in someone like Sean Mannion or Kevin Hogan)

Could be a first rounder if Eli stinks it up again!

Eli will be fine, I think. We're with him until he retires/gets injured, I feel.

Definitely will need to look into a few rookies next season. Should be interesting though, with so many QB's hitting contract years - Luck, Wilson, Newton, RGIII, etc.

• Advertisement

At what point do we really begin to worry about ODB? Gone for tests on his hamstrings today, really not ideal for him to be missing this time, could impact on his rookie year

At what point do we really begin to worry about ODB? Gone for tests on his hamstrings today, really not ideal for him to be missing this time, could impact on his rookie year

Reminding me of Steve Smith.

Even if he does come back in time for the season, TC won't play him for a good while until he has a tonne or reps under his belt.

Really liking the noises coming out for undrafted rookie Kennard, though. There's excitement there for him, which is great to hear.

Nitpicking but Kennard was our 5th rounder. Delighted with him as well though. A fit Beason & McClain with Williams, Paysinger and Kennard looking promising will be a hell of an improvement over the past few years.

ODB likely to sit out the week as a precaution. Totally agree that TC won't risk him. If he can't go in the last 2 pre-season games you may as well write off the 1st half of the season

Had completely forgotten that. Not sure how I got it into my head that he went undrafted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Wilson going for MRI after picking up a stinger

Coughlin concerned for him

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000371069/article/david-wilson-exits-practice-after-sustaining-burner

doesn't sound good

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Wilson going for MRI after picking up a stinger

Coughlin concerned for him

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000371069/article/david-wilson-exits-practice-after-sustaining-burner

doesn't sound good

:(:mad: sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

bad day all round injury wise

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/07/rueben_randle_david_wilson_odell_beckham_jr_headline_giants_injury_report.html

hamstring bug spreading

so that OBJ, RR & Holiday all injured at moment

MM also not confident with his knee

Big chance for JJ to step it up on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Every fucking camp, this happens. We're surely the most injury prone team in the NFL.

Wilson seems like he'll be fine. He'll get the all clear on Monday.

Roster update/projection, for anyone interested.

http://www.bigblueview.com/2014/7/30/5951793/ny-giants-updated-53-man-roster-projection

Snippet:
    Tight End (3)

Larry Donnell
    Adrien Robinson
    Daniel Fells

Change: Fells in, Kellen Davis out

There may not be a clear favorite to be the starter, but the pecking order has become clear. Donnell, Fells and Robinson are the top three guys. Fells has been the most consistent. Donnell has been the most spectacular. Robinson has been the most up and down, but still probably has the biggest upside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

/QUOTE]

the prognosis for Wilson is not so good im afraid

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/07/david_wilson_injury_update_giants_appear_less_optimistic_in_potential_return.html

• Advertisement

wawaman wrote: »

/QUOTE]

the prognosis for Wilson is not so good im afraid

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/07/david_wilson_injury_update_giants_appear_less_optimistic_in_potential_return.html

We'll always have the Game against the Saints

Rumour is that Wilson will be placed on IR again for the year & may not play again. Holding out in vague hope he might be back but looking doubtful

Injury Update

The following Giants did not make the trip to Canton, thus won't suit up Sunday night:

Robert Ayers, Jon Beason, Will Beatty, Odell Beckham, Xavier Grimble, Eric Herman, Trindon Holliday, Bennett Jackson, Trumaine McBride, Mike Patterson, Spencer Paysinger, David Wilson.

Was at a festival all weekend so only catching up with things now. Really bad news on the Wilson front, so. Such a shame as I was excited to see him this year, and had read some initial reports thinking that he might be OK.

Going to watch the game now, but heard Williams did well, which is good news.

I only just watched highlights there. The only player who I could kind of judge from it was Andre Williams, and he looked good.

From what I am reading Nassib did surprisingly well and JPP was kind of a let down. Anyone who watched the game care to refute any of this?

Also, how did the OL look?

Keno wrote: »
    I only just watched highlights there. The only player who I could kind of judge from it was Andre Williams, and he looked good.

From what I am reading Nassib did surprisingly well and JPP was kind of a let down. Anyone who watched the game care to refute any of this?

Also, how did the OL look?

JPP was pretty much shut out by Seanterel Henderson. He could be a steal as an UDFA for the Bills, as all the talent in the world if he can put it together.

Andre Williams speed surprised me tbh, looked a lot quicker than advertised. Hankins had a good game.

The o-line was fairly poor across all the line-ups.

Nassib was not great, hit & miss, had an int called back for roughing the passer, his TD pass was all the work of the wideout as he under threw him. Had some nice connections to Harris

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

@NFLonFOX: “Don't feel sorry for me, or pity me. I lived my dream. Now I have a chance to dream another dream."

- David Wilson http://t.co/RMwaHIpnnK

Placed on IR for the year and advised not to play again

wawaman wrote: »
    @NFLonFOX: “Don't feel sorry for me, or pity me. I lived my dream. Now I have a chance to dream another dream."

- David Wilson http://t.co/RMwaHIpnnK

Placed on IR for the year and advised not to play again

I do feel sorry for him. Such a promising career cut short

Gutted for the man. I really, really took to him when we drafted him. Had real high hopes.

He must be devastated.

• Advertisement

What a shame. He really had something and I was so excited to see what he could do.

Advertisement