Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Kanye West Album

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

the one thing thats annoying me a little bit is that TNGHT track blood on the leaves, TNGHT is 2 people hudson mohawke and lunice and was produced by both of them not just hudson mohawke :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

John Lennon was killed by a lunatic. End of. Anyone who decides they're going to murder a musician or "knock them the f*ck out" over a record or their public persona needs to get a grip.

I love the fact that this record is pissing people off so much. Kanye has always been one to deliberately set out to ruffle feathers and that's exactly what he's doing with this. I think there's quite a bit of punk inspiration here, as much as anything else. It's stuff like this that sets the best musicians apart - being divisive and provocative and in your face. I think Kanye himself would prefer that people either loved him or hated him than felt indifferent towards him.

Racism is racism it shouldnt be used to cause a stir and sell records, i knew the kanye fans wouldnt like it being said but he gets away with murder here anyway compared to others and this attention seeking behaviour is nothing but ignorant from him because thats all it is attention seeking from a spoilt brat.

He's not even a god like emcee, he's an average rapper who happens to be a very talented producer despite some of what i would best describe as noise instead of beats on yeezus.

lads bottom line is just because this is different doesnt mean its good, groundbreaking etc.. iv talked to a lot of my friends some who like kanye a lot and they agreed its a hard record to listen too. I happen to think its torture on my ear drums, its that bad imo.

His label mate J cole another man who produces the majority of his own records has won this head to head hands down despite what the sales reflect, i expected more from kanye i must say. Cole has come out with one of the best albums of the year and kanye one of the worst so far imo, at least from what i listened too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

FrankLamar wrote: »

Ain't nobody gots time for that Pitchfork shiiiiiit. Errbody know that the only review worth talmbout is the one that my boy Big Ghost has thrown together. **** be tight yo. Ghost is checkin' "is yall REALLY payin attention n understandin what this dude tryin to accomplish or yall jus UNCOMFORTABLE wit the **** he doin as a artist namsayin?"

Check it.
    Like son said “I keep it 300 like the Romans” which is probably spose to be a double entendre n whatever…which is cool… I mean I aint no professor of geographical history or nothin like that but I think the Spartans in 300 was actually Greek tho fam. Thats jus minor details tho.
    Son cant eem play a instrument or nothin like that or speak multiple languages so how he a GOD my ni**a? Im sittin here spinnin a vase from the Ming dynasty on my finger b. ****outtahere. I do this **** forreal.
    So yeah maybe that boy Kanye takin risks… Maybe he not comfortable restin on his laurels n makin **** that mutha****as is gon be like yooooooooooooooo to soon as they hear it. I appreciate that he tryin new things n pushin the envelope n whatever the ****…but it dont automatically make that **** poppin. Thing is…ALL Kanye old **** always had soul to it….even that weed plate 808s n Heartbreaks had soul… Summa THIS **** reeeeaaally dont got no soul yo. I kno it aint jus me… Mutha****as wanna connect to a artists work nahmean…. Whether its a painting…some poems…or a song or whatever whatever. They wanna feel somethin when they hear music…emotions n ****. Whether it make you wanna dance, cry or duff old people in the face…music should make you have impulses to do some **** other than wanna hit the skip button 8 or 9 times nahmean. I actually HATE a lot fewer songs on this album than i thought I did tho. But I still only LIKE a couple tracks…n LOVE one joint. But see..we livin in a age where new songs, mixtapes, n albums be poppin up every .000045 seconds n not a lot of mutha****as wanna invest they time n patience allowin **** to GROW on em. But maybe thats the bull**** that needs to stop. Maybe this was Kanye tryin to get ni**as to pump they brakes or try sumn new…like he sayin I KNO YALL LOVE TURKEY BUT YALL EVER TRIED MONGOOSE? …but we tryin the mongoose n summa us is like NAW NI**A n summa us is like OH THIS **** IS POSITIVELY DELIGHTFUL…BRAVO KANYE…I FEEL LIKE KICKIN OFF MY TOMS N DOIN CARTWHEELS ACROSS THIS MEADOW n ****. Some mutha****as is gon be more open to it. Others not so much… Somebody whose opinion I respect said Kim K box gotta be trash…cuz Amber Rose inspired MBDTF. That **** resonated wit me son. But this ****? Not so much. Then again maybe Kanye not makin music for mutha****as like me right now. Maybe he makin **** for sensitive perverted ni**as that dont like drums. Or maybe he hopin ni**as is gon follow him wherever he goin. All I kno is son aint fall off. Like…he definitely CHOOSIN to do some other OTHER **** right now… Its like when he made 808s n Hearbreak n then bounced back wit MBDTF. Whether you ****s wit this **** or not…he definitely pushed the art n the culture forward…like pullin out a kids rotten teeth n allowin the new ones to grow in. Ion personally ENJOY this **** the way I usually ENJOY Kanye albums but he definitely got mutha****as reevaluatin ****. We reactin to it. Even the ni**as that LIKE like this music is sayin ni**as jus dont GET it n actin wild defensive n ****… Im sayin 1) **** yall n 2) Maaaaaaybe yall right. First time I heard this **** I was like GET KANYE THE **** OUTTA HERE. Now Im thinkin hol up…did I miss some **** here? Thats art right there yo.

Aight peace.

Mayne, I ain't frontin' when I say this, but this may be the greatest review of all time, of any product. **** be real, nahmean.

When the Ghost speaks, the world listens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Racism is racism it shouldnt be used to cause a stir and sell records, i knew the kanye fans wouldnt like it being said but he gets away with murder here anyway compared to others and this attention seeking behaviour is nothing but ignorant from him because thats all it is attention seeking from a spoilt brat.

He's not even a god like emcee, he's an average rapper who happens to be a very talented producer despite some of what i would best describe as noise instead of beats on yeezus.

lads bottom line is just because this is different doesnt mean its good, groundbreaking etc.. iv talked to a lot of my friends some who like kanye a lot and they agreed its a hard record to listen too. I happen to think its torture on my ear drums, its that bad imo.

His label mate J cole another man who produces the majority of his own records has won this head to head hands down despite what the sales reflect, i expected more from kanye i must say. Cole has come out with one of the best albums of the year and kanye one of the worst so far imo, at least from what i listened too.

I'm not even that big of a Kanye fan (could take him or leave him most of the time), but the record is doing exactly what he intended. It's a sound that makes people uncomfortable, and some are even angry about it. This is what good artists do. They push boundaries, do something different every time, polarize opinion. Just because it's a difficult listen doesn't mean it's not good either. Sometimes works of art are somewhat challenging. Who'd of thunk it?! :eek:

As for the lyrics, hip-hop is rife with misogyny and homophobia left, right and center. Singling Kanye out for criticism for controversial lyrics (I don't even think they're that controversial) is a little bit unfair given what gets a pass most of the time. Sure, Kanye may not be the best lyricist out there, but the lyrics fulfill their function and work well with the production, and it's not like he's Soulja Boy level, hardly able to string a sentence together. I don't think Kanye has ever claimed to be a Rakim-type either, where lyrics are front and center.

I don't think it's a perfect record, but I think it's an interesting change - it's intense and complicated and one of the most interesting records I've heard in a long time.

As for J. Cole, I've never warmed to him, and his new album is doing nothing to change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I got it today and I have to admit that I really liked it on the very first listen......

<_<

>_>

/hides under a table

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

I like it. cant understand the hate from some here. i guess most folks dont like innovative experimental songs and just want another illmatic type album.

some people need to broaded there horizons a bit imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

What exactly are these racist lines you're so offended by. I've heard commentary on race/racism and plenty of misogyny but nothing that struck me as flat out racist.

Certainly there's nothing on here worse than the likes of deadprez (a cited influence for this) or early ice cube.

Amerikkka Most Wanted and Death Certificate contained plenty of racist (and homophobic) lyrics but its still acclaimed but the masses.

I reckon for some it's not the messenge, but the messenger that causes offence.

I think it's particularly odd that a self confessed 50 Cent fan is so upset - you're ok with lyrics glorifying violence, drug dealing, misogyny etc. but race is a red line?

Don't get me wrong - I like plenty of violent, misogynistic rap songs myself. I just think if you are going to listen to rap music then you have to accept that there are a lot of objectionable things in the lyrics. I think it's hypocritical to pick and choose what rappers should get a pass on and try and justify something like glorification of murder or drug dealing but not racism - or in this case, commentary on perceived racism as much as anything else.

Lastly, you should know what you get with Kanye by now. It was well advertised that this album would be chock full of ego (look at the name of the album FFS). Surely if it annoys you so much you would just ignore it

Edit - just looked up the lyrics to New Slaves and Black Skinhead. There is nothing racist in them and there is nothing he hasn't said before - albeit with a more soulful backdrop. All Falls Down, Crack Music, Jesus Walks, Murder to Excellence etc all dealt with or touched upon (to varying degrees) similar themes.

The fact that he has gotten rich since doesnt mean he can't comment one race issues - whether rich or poor he will still be a minority in a racist society. If you think money or fame changes that then you obviously don't understand the issue or what he's saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SimmerDean

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Beats bore me. Kanye could never flow. The content is vacuous. Suspicions confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I like it. cant understand the hate from some here. i guess most folks dont like innovative experimental songs and just want another illmatic type album.

some people need to broaded there horizons a bit imo

Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I'm reserving full judgment on the album until I have given it a few more listens, although it only took one listen for me to know I loved College Dropout, Late Registration, Graduation and MBDTF. Graduation being my favourite.

I just wanted to share this video that portrays some points I was raising when he appeared on SNL and tried to portray the theme of anti consumerism with all of the "Not for Sale" signs, yet is with a woman who is the epitome of consumerism. Not to mention all of the money he is generating though brand sponsorships etc.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3461261

I think this is the best take on Yeezus I've read to date.

I think he's very much aware that he's a contradiction, and I guess here he feels that he doesn't need to hold a spot light to the contradictions in the same way he did on All Falls Down. Like he's leaving you to draw that conclusion himself.

Unless he's gone completely insane, he knows how these lyrics and themes will be received by many. I think he wants that impact and reaction, and is acting accordingly.

He knows he's either loved or loathed and I think he's playing up to that. What ever people's views on him, he's going to be the main topic of conversation for the next few weeks.

The haters will probably be his most effective sales men!

I think the NY Times interview also intentionally plays into this.

The man is a genius at creating hype for his own projects - the GOOD Friday campaign was genius and has been copied by damn near everybody since.

Playing Niggas in Paris on loop at the live shows created massive hype and acclaim for the tour.

The "banned" cover art for MBDTF also helped keep that album in the conversation in the days before its release for non-musical reasons.

Heck, if you compare his approach for MBDTF, WTT and Cruel Summer in commissioning fashion designers and artist types to do his art work to this stripped down two finger approach you have to think there must have been a lot of thought put into this and how it would be received, rather than just being an artistic statement.

Who knows, maybe this has a lot more to do than Kim than might be apparent from first glance. Instead of everybody focusing on "Kimye," the attention is back to the one thing he feels deserves our attention - his music.

I cant get over some of the lyrics on it, he's actually comparing himself to god/jesus wasnt john lennon killed over that? Not even going to get started on the stench of racism of it someone should tell him his woman is white.

Just thinking about this in the gym this morning when Jay-Z came on my phone.

In hip-hop thus far we've had the likes of The God MC, God's Son, Jay-Hova, Jesus Price Superstar and Ruler Zig-Zag-Zig Allah.

We've also had lots of lines from rappers claiming to be godly/god like.

Why is everybody so upset about "I am A god"/"Yeezus"?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

floggg wrote: »
    Just thinking about this in the gym this morning when Jay-Z came on my phone.

In hip-hop thus far we've had the likes of The God MC, God's Son, Jay-Hova, Jesus Price Superstar and Ruler Zig-Zag-Zig Allah.

We've also had lots of lines from rappers claiming to be godly/god like.

Why is everybody so upset about "I am A god"/"Yeezus"?

The hoopla about the lyrical content amazes me. There is nothing in rap that hasnt been covered before.

I actually love Kanye's megliomaniac/Hank Scorpio/Egomaniac/superstar vibe. He set out with a goal to achieve something, did so, reaped the rewards and is now basking. Why shouldnt he?

It's just like how when Christy Ronaldo scores a wunder goal and will give a smug look to the camera, he deserves to be able to do it.

In relation to the album, I've only listened to the first 3 songs so far. My initial impression is that I'm feeling the production so far. I didn't live the Black Skinhead track when I first heard it, but now I really dig the beat.
    In relation to the rapping, it sounds fairly average. Kanye was never the most exceptional rapper, I thought he was pretty bad on WTT, but this seems to be a step up from it. If you also read the interviews with Rick Rubin, Kanye put together the lyrics in a very short period, and it kind of shows.
    Going to listen to the album in full later....i keep forgetting to bring it to work :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Here's an interesting review from Blockhead.

http://phatfriend.com/2013/06/19/yay-or-nay-this-yeezus-album/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Kanye has had an overinflated ego since his first album, I'm not too sure why people are getting upset over the lyrical content, you should be used to it by now, and I've said this before on another thread.

Boom_Bap wrote: »

I actually love Kanye's megliomaniac/Hank Scorpio/Egomaniac/superstar vibe. He set out with a goal to achieve something, did so, reaped the rewards and is now basking. Why shouldnt he?

It's just like how when Christy Ronaldo scores a wunder goal and will give a smug look to the camera, he deserves to be able to do it.

I like the analogy and agree.

I'd maybe compare him a bit to Didi Drogba after Chelsea crashed out to Barca and he threw a tantrum.

I kind of like the fact that he wears his emotion on his sleeve/jersey and shares it unfiltered. If I had spent my whole life training and sacrificing to get to the pinnacle of the world football stage only to have my dream snatched away by a perceived unfair decision id be pissed as hell.* As would anybody.

If he achieves what so few people can, he has the right to react however he likes without receiving criticism from armchair wannabes who could never come close to investing what he did to get there.**

*Swap in "Beyonce's dreams" for "my dreams" and "Grammy voting committee" for "referee" in the case of Kanye.

**obviously I'd draw the line at any Suarez type behaviour.

**obviously I'd draw the line at any Suarez type behaviour.

the last thing we want to see is Kanye biting Taylor Swift :D

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    the last thing we want to see is Kanye biting Taylor Swift :D

Suarez would never bite Talyor Swift.

Beyonce on the other hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Have to say I've given it 5 or 6 complete spins at this stage and I like it well enough. Probably in the bottom half of Kanye's solo efforts ( I'd have College Dropout, Late Registration, and MBDTF ahead of it) but thats due to them being brilliant rather than this being bad.

Have to say it did take until the third go before it started to click and I got into it. I could see people giving it a go and casting it off as "noise" or whatever after one listen but its only after repeated listens that you really get the sense that every pop, fizz, laser pew, scream was poured over laboriously and not just thrown on Jackson Pollack style. There is no randomness to anything, controlled chaos I'd guess you'd call it.

Kanye seems like he's talented enough that he could put out anything and it would be critically lauded so maybe he thought why not put out something that would get people talking and maybe push the genre forward and blur the lines to what a hip-hop album can be. And that to me is a good thing. There is no other mainstream artist that I can think of, hip hop or otherwise, that is always willing to try something so out there whether it works or not.

So is it a good album? I'd have to say it is. Its no old-school Ye for sure, but then if he always did the same thing was everyone would be sick of that six albums in. It contains one of his best songs IMO (Blood on the Leaves) and just offers something new with each repeated listen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

So, after not being able to really enjoy Blood On The Leaves, I went into the song settings on iTunes and put end time at 4:30 and now I absolutely love it. That and Bound 2 I can really get behind.

im not going to reply back to the other comments not out of ignorance but i just dont want to ruin the thread.

I think its terrible and all over the place i think the direction of the album was wrong he could of went more North West with it , il leave it at that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

im not going to reply back to the other comments not out of ignorance but i just dont want to ruin the thread.

I think its terrible and all over the place i think the direction of the album was wrong he could of went more North West with it , il leave it at that :D

Yeah please do

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    So, after not being able to really enjoy Blood On The Leaves, I went into the song settings on iTunes and put end time at 4:30 and now I absolutely love it. That and Bound 2 I can really get behind.
    i done the same with Blood on the Leaves except mine ends at 5.00

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

MD1990 wrote: »
    i done the same with Blood on the Leaves except mine ends at 5.00

Ah so just a lil' bit of wavy moans for you. I'll have none myself :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Had another proper listen to it and I still don't know, when the lads asked me what I thought of it I literally couldn't describe, I'm not even sure if I like it, hold my liquor and bound 2 are bangers.

Pity, would have liked to see you try and stand over the racism BS

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

I've listened to the whole album maybe 20 times now

I couldn't get to grips with it for the first 5 listens and the boom...I love it

I Dont think I have ever listened to an album so many times to get it before..

Absolutely love it

Pity, would have liked to see you try and stand over the racism BS

BS? Your denying kanye is a borderline/closet racist ?

The only BS here is Kanye fans force feeding themselves the album coming up with excuses why they like it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

The only BS here is Kanye fans force feeding themselves the album coming up with excuses why they like it.

Dude, sometimes people like different things. Music is subjective. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean that it's bad or that other people are "coming up with excuses" for why they like it.

Advertisement