Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sugar tax in next month's Budget

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

and new mcdonalds outlets are welcomed by government
    http://www.fingal-independent.ie/news/do-you-want-jobs-with-that-3289313.html
    how does that square up with this sugar tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Very stupid and short sighted move by the Government which is nothing more than a health issue front and revenue scam.

Jacking up the price of soft drinks will only encourage more to take up alcohol and highly toxic sugar replacement soft drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Why shouldn't aspartame be in the food chain? Any "evidence" saying its dangerous at the levels we consume it at have been rubbished.

The most way this will effect me is make my nights out even more expensive as the only time I really consume non-diet soft drinks anymore is for mixers with drinks. For this reason alone I'm against it.

Yeah and for years reports that the world was round were rubbished too.

SD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I predicted this :P

Good onya, Nostradamus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Actually SocialJusticeIreland put forward the proposal on 1 October.
    A 2.0% tax on salt, alcohol, sugar and trans fats would yield €15m while a tax of 0.33% of 1 cent on each text message sent through mobile phones would yield €40m in revenue, according to SJI.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Food nazis. If people make that choice and eat the crap so be it. Its ironic how the governement will welcome fast food jobs and then slap a tax on thos who eat it. Just plain silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

my feeling on this, like with anything to do with the budget is to leak the info in advance and sound out the public reaction. then just go ahead and do the opposite of what the public want!

IMO a sugar tax is a ridiculous idea.
    Soft drinks account for about 2% of my diet (and I'm being generous with that figure). this means that 98% of my calories don't come from sugary soft drinks. I'm sure I'm not untypical of the average person here.

obesity needs to be controlled through education, diet and exercise, not by slapping a tax on a foodstuff that makes up such a small percentage of a persons diet.

there is a chance that a tax such as this will cost jobs, in both the manufacturing and retail industries. In theory for this to happen, people will have to reduce their intake of sugary drinks, ie: doing exactly what the government wants, however for the reason above, I don't feel this will reduce obesity in any way.

and as for the proposal to tax text messages, which has been ongoing for years now, you really gotta laugh! Text message volumes are decreasing anyway with the use of IM, imessage etc and most people who do use text, have it included as part of a bundle, thus not directly paying for it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

A sugar tax proposed by a government that refused to introduce a financial transaction tax on an industry that has cost us €73 billion.

Its the same old story tax the poor to pay for the rich.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

no more fanta on my coco pops in the morning then :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

How about a tax on parents if their kid is a lard-arse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Probably the first and last time I'll ever say this... I don't care as I'm diabetic :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

how about stop subsidising medical care for self inflicted diseases and conditions?

if fatties wanna fat and smokers wanna smoke, let them but they can pay for their own care and everyone else can enjoy low-tax consumables.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

StudentDad wrote: »
    Whether or not you choose to class it as plastic or not is moot. The fact remains that aspartame and its ilk should not be in the food chain.

I'll take naturally occurring sugars over synthetic crap that does god knows what to my body thanks.

SD
    StudentDad wrote: »
    Yeah and for years reports that the world was round were rubbished too.

SD

Ok...
    A) There is nothing natural about consuming large amounts of refined sugar. In nature the only time we'd ever get such concentrated sugar is honey, which would be quite rare. Our bodies can't process it properly.
    b) Aspartame has been shown to be perfectly safe at the levels we consume it.
    C) The world being round was never debunked, it was, in fact, science that proved it to be the case.
    D) Sugar is well established as being really really bad for the body. It causes insulin resistance, excessive calorie consumption and fat production, and is bad for the liver, especially fructose, which is 50% of corn syrup and table sugar.
    E) You haven't a clue what you are talking about and your attitude screams desperately of someone that needs to read a real book instead of listening to your hairdresser or whatever half-baked source you've been listening to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    A sugar tax proposed by a government that refused to introduce a financial transaction tax on an industry that has cost us €73 billion.

Its the same old story tax the poor to pay for the rich.

What is this, America?

You can live quite cheaply on fresh fruit and veg and cheap healthy food,

try chickpeas, lentils, rice etc.

Bloody government propping up the banks and not useful things like TK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

recyclebin wrote: »
    Will this mean an end to the sugar daddy?
    James Reilly sugar daddy... :eek:
    Cienciano wrote: »
    So the prices of softdrinks in pubs will now be 3 times the price of beer.
    They are nearly as expensive anyway... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

how about stop subsidising medical care for self inflicted diseases and conditions?

if fatties wanna fat and smokers wanna smoke, let them but they can pay for their own care and everyone else can enjoy low-tax consumables.

I agree with the smoking bit (but we all know the government makes more money out of taxing fags than is spent on medical care anyway), but 'fatties' can often be so because of an underlying illness, not necessarily because of diet.

And I'll also assume that the 'fatties' pay tax like the rest of us, so they're entitled to their health care just like you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

I agree with the smoking bit (but we all know the government makes more money out of taxing fags than is spent on medical care anyway), but 'fatties' can often be so because of an underlying illness, not necessarily because of diet.

And I'll also assume that the 'fatties' pay tax like the rest of us, so they're entitled to their health care just like you are.

fatties can sometimes be fat because of an underlying illness but most of the time it's because we're just lazy, eat **** and eat too much ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Theres possiblity of legal issues here. How are the government defining a sugar? As a sweetend food or as sucrose a disaccharide of fructose and glucose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Seaneh wrote: »
    How the hell can it store something with no claories as fat?

You do realise that you haven't a clue what you are taking about, don't you?

Who told you that nonsense? Slap them, immediately.

counting calories is ridiculous.

You need to check the CARBS - look at any nutritional value

forget the calorie number

look at the

Carbohydrate
    (of which Sugars)

line.

surprised you don't know that seaneh, :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Theres possiblity of legal issues here. How are the government defining a sugar? As a sweetend food or as sucrose a disaccharide of fructose and glucose?

We will have to wait on the results of a report commissioned by an independent panel of vested interests. They will probably decide it only applies to fruit as applying a tax to manufactured products might put jobs at risk!

RainMaker wrote: »
    We will have to wait on the results of a report commissioned by an independent panel of vested interests. They will probably decide it only applies to fruit as applying a tax to manufactured products might put jobs at risk!

Well thats the possibility. A lot of these food companies are very powerful lobbyists.

counting calories is ridiculous.

You need to check the CARBS - look at any nutritional value

forget the calorie number

look at the

Carbohydrate
    (of which Sugars)

line.

surprised you don't know that seaneh, :o

congrats. that's the most wrong post i've seen on boards this month. early days yet of course but I don't think it'll be beat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Hah what a joke. All the more incentive for me to get off sugar and try to be a bit healthier for fitness I suppose.

congrats. that's the most wrong post i've seen on boards this month. early days yet of course but I don't think it'll be beat

if you educate yourself a bit better you will realise that its a fact :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Greyian

if you educate yourself a bit better you will realise that its a fact :rolleyes:

Please stop digging.

There are calories in carbohydrates (which means there are calories in sugar). If a drink (or food) contains no calories, it therefore cannot have any sugars (or proteins or fats for that matter). Now, diet drinks do have some calories, but really, really miniscule amounts. The artificial sweeteners do not contain calories. They do not have the same effect as sugar has (from a calorific standpoint, obviously they do sweeten the taste of the beverage as "normal" sugar does).

fatties can sometimes be fat because of an underlying illness but most of the time it's because we're just lazy, eat **** and eat too much ****.

sir dig by, don't fret

take my advice on my post above, you will be sorted in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Very stupid and short sighted move by the Government which is nothing more than a health issue front and revenue scam.

Jacking up the price of soft drinks will only encourage more to take up alcohol and highly toxic sugar replacement soft drinks.

That's probably the plan.

• Advertisement

All these "self inflicted conidtions" are more or less likely in certain people because of genetic or epigenetic factors. It's not as black and white as smokers, drinkers and gluttons bring it all on themselves.

Advertisement