Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sugar tax in next month's Budget

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

All those sweet shops that keep popping up in town are DOOMED!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Will this mean an end to the sugar daddy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

5dolla12 wrote: »
    Dont really see the issue with this tax. Govt needs to raise revenue somehow. At least by putting it on something like fizzy drinks it allows people the option of avoiding the tax by simply not buying fizzy drinks. I would only have a coke or something every now and again, and while it will be a bt annoying to see the price increase, i'd rather have the choice of avoiding it than see this passed on through some new compulsory tax.

Obviously the budget will probably see some increases in compulsory taxes anyway, but at least this will be a very small portion that wont be passed on compulsorily and I can choose to avoid.

You quite like a mild ****ing up the arse is what you're saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

ted1 wrote: »
    Stores them as fat

same with carbohydrates.
    maybe they will have a carb tax,
    and a fruit tax - loads of sugar in fruit.
    and a "white" bread tax :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Stores them as fat
    No it doesn't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Yes, instead of raising awareness and mentality towards our diet ......................

Do you really think that people still need this?
    If people are too stupid to see the fizzy drinks - diet or otherwise - are bad for you then it is really just a stupidity tax.
    If you consume fizzy drinks occasionally then a tax increase is not going to affect you.
    However, if you are guzzling liters of it then I say pay away - its going to be paying for the health services, obesity clinics and counseling you will need in the future because you were too thick to eat properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

So the prices of softdrinks in pubs will now be 3 times the price of beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Stores them as fat

Stores what? There is no calories in it. They are carbonated water with flavouring.
    This is an anti-"designated driver" tax.

That's all on the pubs. You can buy a 2 litre bottle of coke for under €2 yet they charge close to €3 for a glass. Nothing to do with tax

There just as bad, your body treats The sugar replacmwnts as if they were sugar.

But the diet drinks have no carbs, the high carb content in fizzy drinks is one of the reasons people who drink a lot of them are fat especially when they are consumed on top of an already poor diet and low levels of exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

theres going to be a new meaning to smuggling coke soon enough :P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Do you really think that people still need this?
    If people are too stupid to see the fizzy drinks - diet or otherwise - are bad for you then it is really just a stupidity tax.
    If you consume fizzy drinks occasionally then a tax increase is not going to affect you.
    However, if you are guzzling liters of it then I say pay away - its going to be paying for the health services, obesity clinics and counseling you will need in the future because you were too thick to eat properly.

I counter propose a high-horse tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

There just as bad, your body treats The sugar replacmwnts as if they were sugar.

Any evidence for this from a reputable source?

Also on the - are diet drinks bad questions -

Taken from "Diabetes Care" http://care.diabetesjournals.org/

A study (http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/32/4/688.full) had this conclusion -

CONCLUSIONS Although these observational data cannot establish causality, consumption of diet soda at least daily was associated with significantly greater risks of select incident metabolic syndrome components and type 2 diabetes.

Then there is also this website http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eating/latest/soda-research-health-effects
    But I haven't looked through the links yet to see which studies they cite.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

StudentDad wrote: »
    Sugar tax? Bloody fantastic - not! It's hard enough to find drinks without plastic additives in place of sugar as it is.

SD

No one, really? Ok, I'll be the guy.

What plastic additives are in your drinks?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

davet82 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/budget/sugar-tax-on-soft-drinks-on-the-way-in-next-months-budget-3291875.html

I think this is a great idea, it will work the same way it has stopped people drinking alcohol and smoking :rolleyes:

Most soft drinks do not have sugar. They have artificial sweetners like aspartame.

Just when you think they can not get anymore insane they out do themselves.

SOAP TAX next at this rate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Stores them as fat

How the hell can it store something with no claories as fat?

You do realise that you haven't a clue what you are taking about, don't you?

Who told you that nonsense? Slap them, immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

3c Tax on Texts 10% tax on all products over X sugar/saturated fat content

BILLIONS

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Somebody should email Tim Noakes :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I like how one post can basically derail an entire thread as the "I Know Everything" brigade constantly brings the conversation back to said post. It's really great that we have such belligerent users here otherwise we would all be flinging shit at each other. Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

Has noo effect on me..tax away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

as long as they dont start taxing the free cheese.. theyve got my vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Personally I think this is a great idea
    Didn't Denmark just revoke their fat tax and cancelled plans for sugar tax?

They implemented it badly. There is no call for a general fat tax - some fats are good some are bad.

A tax on sugar however - good idea. Although it would be better to be more specific - i.e. tax high fructose corn syrup and products made from it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Whats needed is a massive burger tax. If they become too expensive rather than too cheap, it will change habits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I like how one post can basically derail an entire thread as the "I Know Everything" brigade constantly brings the conversation back to said post. It's really great that we have such belligerent users here otherwise we would all be flinging shit at each other. Keep up the good work.

Bad news. I think someone introduced a high horse tax earlier in the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

Also on the - are diet drinks bad questions -

Taken from "Diabetes Care" http://care.diabetesjournals.org/

A study (http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/32/4/688.full) had this conclusion -

CONCLUSIONS Although these observational data cannot establish causality, consumption of diet soda at least daily was associated with significantly greater risks of select incident metabolic syndrome components and type 2 diabetes.

They have the same effect, make you crave sugar, perhaps a 'gateway' to diabetes rather than a cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

SOAP TAX next at this rate.

No, it will be the air we breath. No escaping that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Momento Mori

Could be worse. Then again, I hardly ever drink fizzy drinks so it doesn't effect me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

What would an obese minister for health know what about stopping obesity ?

He would want to get his own house in order before he lectures other people.

Advertisement