Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

ye should have full read the article - it was verizon only.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tadayuki

Hi guys,

I'll move to Dublin in the next couple of weeks and I am trying to decide which of the 3 smartphones will be my new one.

Because it looks like the HTC Desire won't be ever available, I have almost decided for a Samsung Galaxy S with a Classic Flex Max contract.

However, I just noticed a strange thing on the 3 web page (http://www.three.ie/shop/samsung-galaxy-s-black-mega-max.htm).

In the overview it says one can use skype for free as all the other skypephones:

"The Galaxy S also comes with GPS, and you can turn it into a portable Wi-Fi hotspot for your laptop or any other Wi-Fi enabled device. Plus you get free Skype™-to-Skype calls and free Windows Live™ Messenger on the Samsung Galaxy S, only on Three."

while in the specification it looks like the opposite:

Skype (Messenger) NO

Somebody of you already have this smartphone? Could you please clarify me if skype can be use for free on the 3G network?

I am only subscribing a 3 contract because of free skype on 3G, otherwise Meteor would be probably better. What do you think?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brasher

Battery life:
    I have the power widget and a data on/off widget. I leave the screen brightness at auto and turn off everything. When I need data I turn it on and if I'm home or at work I turn off data and leave wifi on. This is giving me about two days of battery life with not so heavy usage.
    I'm running 2.2 JP2 with lag fix and rooted.

Skype on Android on 3
    Yes there is a Skype app for Android on 3. However when you lose a 3G connection skype shuts off and you need to manually turn it back on. This means its not a good alternative for incoming calls. But for outgoing calls it's fine.

brasher wrote: »
    Skype on Android on 3
    Yes there is a Skype app for Android on 3. However when you lose a 3G connection skype shuts off and you need to manually turn it back on. This means its not a good alternative for incoming calls. But for outgoing calls it's fine.

But as long as you launch the app, the mobile leaves it running in the background and you can text, mail etc., right?

Yeah, it will run in the background happily as long as you are on wifi or 3g.

mmm, don't remember where I read it or who told me but I understood that free skype on 3 skypephones is only allowed on a 3G connection. Is that true?

with free skype on a 3G connection I mean that the app doesn't use any flexi-unit nor charge your bill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I installed Launcher Pro (and paid for the couple of Euro for the widgets). It's an absolutely huge improvement on the Samsung UI.

I couldn't recommend it more highly!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

How do you turn the data off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

angel01 wrote: »
    How do you turn the data off?

Download APN On Off widget from the market
    Works for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Just noticed that they have removed the "Free Skype and "Free Windows Live Messenger" graphics from the Galaxy S advert on the 3 website.

So it was there before?
    That means I am not crazy, cause I was 100% sure I read it :)

However in the overview they are still there

"The Galaxy S also comes with GPS, and you can turn it into a portable Wi-Fi hotspot for your laptop or any other Wi-Fi enabled device. Plus you get free Skype™-to-Skype calls and free Windows Live™ Messenger on the Samsung Galaxy S, only on Three."

What does that mean?
    Should I expect them to remove free skype?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

There are a few HTC Desires coming into Meteor stores either tomorrow or Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Are there any MP3 player docking stations available for the Galaxy like there are for the iPod/iPhone?

Download APN On Off widget from the market
    Works for me.

Thanks, :)

Be warned, skype won't let you dial irish landline numbers and you can't go on skype through wifi (with three)

• Advertisement

you can't go on skype through wifi (with three)

does that mean if I plug in a different sim (ie O2) I can use skype through wifi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The three skype setup on 3 dials in over the mobile voice network rather than using a data connection. they have a skype gateway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Hey Guys,
    I need a quick firmware upgrade until the official 2.2 comes out, going for XFJM6. I'm not sure what CSC to use out of this list here. I'm thinking BMCJH2, but really I've no idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

tadayuki wrote: »
    ...Plus you get free Skype™-to-Skype calls and free Windows Live™ Messenger on the Samsung Galaxy S, only on Three."

What does that mean?
    Should I expect them to remove free skype?

It means that you are actually making a free voice call instead of a VOIP call and Three is connecting you to Skype from the network. ie, there is no official Skype app that can make the call in the same way as your PC/Ipod/iPhone would.

There is a lot of pressure on Skype to release an Android Skype client, but no official information about whether it will happen or not.

In the meantime, there is a client app called Nimbuzz that can make the calls, but from reviews I've it seems to have some reliability issues. I have used it a couple of times for voice calls and it was OK.
    Be warned, skype won't let you dial irish landline numbers and you can't go on skype through wifi (with three)

It won't do the call over wifi for the same reasons as above (the calls are actual free voice calls).

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

Got mine yesterday. Couldn't stop playing with it for hours lol.

The screen is breathtaking. Everyone I showed it to agreed that it's better looking than an iPhone.

Since this is my first Android phone I'm lost in a sea of apps and rooting and all this wonderful stuff. We need an Android for Dummies thread here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Nice! Lots of fun and lots to learn.

Try reading this thread from the start - at which stage we were all 'dummies' also ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

So.... my screen got cracked when I dropped my phone at The Frames' gig at Electric Picnic last weekend and of course it got stepped on.

It's working fine (touch and all), it's just the glass on top that's cracked.

Shouldn't cost too much to get repaired, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭meathgal2010

Ron DMC wrote: »
    So.... my screen got cracked when I dropped my phone at The Frames' gig at Electric Picnic last weekend and of course it got stepped on.

AWE NO!! As long as the Super AMOLED is not broke it should be cheaper. Samsung made the S Amoled's more durable so this y only the glass you touch is broke. Bring it to fonemenders in Sanyford ( think there is one of grafton st as well) they can fix it. Or bring it back to the store you bought it from and they can send it of!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is it on 3? Fonemenders have a deal with 3 that if you break your phone they'll fix it for fifty euro, that includes screens.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'm looking at the Galaxy S but I'm a little concerned about the people mentioning support issues and smaller dev support.

From what I can see, Samsung will be issuing out their version of Froyo soon, so I imagine Vodafone will have it for me shortly after I buy it so that shouldn't be an issue.

After that then though - why does it matter? Are applications tied into phones as well? I thought that all apps worked on all Android phones and that it was only the OS that was customised to make the best use out a particular phone's hardware? Or are some apps tied into the phone? Should its Java roots not mean each app. works smoothly on any phone with the same version of Android?
    And, if not, how compatible is the Galaxy?

I'm not sure about that firmware, but I'm using JP2 and it's fine. You can find it here. CSC, PDA, Modem is included (as far as I remember). If not let me know and I can upload it somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Got mine yesterday. Couldn't stop playing with it for hours lol.

The screen is breathtaking. Everyone I showed it to agreed that it's better looking than an iPhone.

Since this is my first Android phone I'm lost in a sea of apps and rooting and all this wonderful stuff. We need an Android for Dummies thread here!

+1 on that last bit.

I got mine on Thursday, and I could use the help too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Have the issues with the GPS been sorted with this phone or is it still buggy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

has anyone heard when the new galaxy s is due for release with a flash for the camera,have been told on here that it would be out shortly(couple weeks ago)but cant seem to find any news on it?

jambofc wrote: »
    has anyone heard when the new galaxy s is due for release with a flash for the camera,have been told on here that it would be out shortly(couple weeks ago)but cant seem to find any news on it?

I thought they meant flash on the phone would be changed on 2.2 rather than flash for the camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

I thought they meant flash on the phone would be changed on 2.2 rather than flash for the camera.

maybe your right and i was misinformed

major flaw for me that such a good phone is lacking a flash,only for that i would of bought one by now.

Theres a new version coming out with a camera flash, the flash that comes with 2.2 is for web browsing and has nothing got to do with a physical ca

mera flash/light

Is there any way to upgrade to 2.2 directly and not have to wait for Samsung to get the finger out or am I better off waiting?

Also had a few days to roadtest it and I officially love this phone. The battery life isn't all that terrible either as I thought it would be on a such a powerful phone. Can anyone tell me how to replace the dialler on the home screen though. It's a bit laggy and when I answer calls the screen goes a bit mental and I have to wait for a split second before I can hear the person. Also that swiping to answer calls is very annoying. Any other dialler you would recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

Is there any way to upgrade to 2.2 directly and not have to wait for Samsung to get the finger out or am I better off waiting?

It's easy enough to update to froyo using odin.
    The official release is just around the corner though, so I'd hold off for that.
    There are a few bits that can go wrong which are fairly easily fixed, but it's hardly worth the risk at this stage.
    Check out xda developers for more info on this and any other issues you might have.

Cool thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

So the galaxy tab is over 900 quid?

http://www.expansys.ie/d.aspx?i=201135

Pretty stupid move by Samsung. Pricing themselves out of the market at twice the price of the iPad.

They're claiming it will be much cheaper with a contract. But not many will want to get stuck on a contract in order to get one of these. Shame, I was hoping it would at least be a reasonable alternative to the iPad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Gmail App

Maybe I'm going crazy but I don't have any options for 'contacts' when sending an email. At the moment I'm entering the address each time.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

So the galaxy tab is over 900 quid?

http://www.expansys.ie/d.aspx?i=201135

Pretty stupid move by Samsung. Pricing themselves out of the market at twice the price of the iPad.

They're claiming it will be much cheaper with a contract. But not many will want to get stuck on a contract in order to get one of these. Shame, I was hoping it would at least be a reasonable alternative to the iPad.

Getting it on a new contract would be a bit nuts but getting it as your upgrade would be a nice little present for yourself : )

900 is a bit off the wall though.

Getting it on a new contract would be a bit nuts but getting it as your upgrade would be a nice little present for yourself : )

900 is a bit off the wall though.

People should know better than looking to expansys for suggested pricing. Their pre orders on high profile items are usually through the roof. They're also currently charging 824 euro for a 32gb 3GS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

People should know better than looking to expansys for suggested pricing. Their pre orders on high profile items are usually through the roof. They're also currently charging 824 euro for a 32gb 3GS.

I doubled checked it on some other sites last night before posting. The price is correct. It did actually debut at a rrp of $1000 and quickly came under a lot of criticism which is why Samsung came out with the statment about it getting down to about 400 on contract.

http://www.eurodroid.com/2010/09/samsung-galaxy-tab-to-be-ludicrously-expensive-616-price-tag-listed/

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Galaxy-Tab-Pricing-Froyo-Honeycomb,news-7937.html

I doubled checked it on some other sites last night before posting. The price is correct. It did actually debut at a rrp of $1000 and quickly came under a lot of criticism which is why Samsung came out with the statment about it getting down to about 400 on contract.

http://www.eurodroid.com/2010/09/samsung-galaxy-tab-to-be-ludicrously-expensive-616-price-tag-listed/

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Galaxy-Tab-Pricing-Froyo-Honeycomb,news-7937.html

All of those links are using the same source - expansys. Samsung have yet to release any definite pricing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Gmail App

Maybe I'm going crazy but I don't have any options for 'contacts' when sending an email. At the moment I'm entering the address each time.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

Do you have your Google contacts synced with the phone?

Compose > to and then enter two letters and the drop-down should appear with the relevant contacts displayed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Craigels

im really missing my phone only had it 4 days and i dropped it and the screen smashed into a million pieces :( its taking for ever to come back

Craigels wrote: »
    im really missing my phone only had it 4 days and i dropped it and the screen smashed into a million pieces :( its taking for ever to come back

Oh no :(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Thanks Justin - that worked.
    I'm just used to going through a contacts list to find an address.

Is anyone having trouble with the email app? I set up my hotmail account a couple of days ago and ever since then my battery is going flat a hell of a lot quicker. I have it set to check every hour, but didn't think it would drain the battery as much. I'd say I've gone from getting 24hrs to about 12 or 14.
    JustinOval wrote: »
    Do you have your Google contacts synced with the phone?

Compose > to and then enter two letters and the drop-down should appear with the relevant contacts displayed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Auto sync eats battery power, I sync mine manually with a widget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

as far as i know the glass is completely attached to the actual screen so to replace one you gotta replace both which will probably be expensive enough but please let us know what you get quoted.

i heard the gorilla glass on the galaxy s was meant to be pretty indestructible if it got broken by being stepped on i better be carefull with my captivate as it dosnt have the gorilla glass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Anyone have it insured with 3?

Anyone have it insured with 3?

Yes, when I joined 3, I had 3 months free insurance, I intend to keep paying :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

JustinOval wrote: »
    Auto sync eats battery power, I sync mine manually with a widget.
    What about background data?
    When I turn off background data, my IM program not longer works in background, using wireless all day in office and at home.

Does auto-sync just work for accounts listed in Accounts and Sync or is email included in this (IMAP for me)

• Advertisement
Advertisement