Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Martin Ennis steps down as manager of the hurlers.
    Big thanks to him. Brought us one of the best and most exciting moments in Meath GAA history in winning last year's Christy Ring. Has left Meath hurling in a far better place than it was when he arrived.

Need to make the right appointment now to continue the progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

A great coach and manager. He will be missed.

Meath hurling is progressing nicely. Hopefully his successor gets the support from the county board that's required and Meath get out of the CR and back into Leinster ahead of the start of the next championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Yeah fair play to Martin Ennis, he's certainly improved the hurlers standing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Sorry to see him go. Gave Meath GAA its proudest moments in years last year.
    A manager who can genuinely walk away leaving the place in better condition than he found it.

Anyone know who'd be in line to replace him? Can't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure there was a bit of controversy when Ennis got the job ahead of the other candidate that stood against him initially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Paddy Kelly is the first name that springs to mind.

U17s beat Kildare in Newbridge 2-13 to 1-12.
    Rematch against Dublin in the final. Better not post the result of that one. I'll be accused of getting excited again :pac:

U17 final is at 1.30 in Drogheda on Saturday, but in keeping with Hammer's post there we best all not attend just in case we're accused of being overexcited

Imagine how bonkers we'll get if we beat a bunch of footballers from Kilkenny the same day!

SFC
    Simonstown 2-17 Moynalvey 0-11

Surprisingly easy win for the champions.
    Edit: on a related note, anyone know if Padraig McKeever didn't make himself available for the county team this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Sonny678

No hammer not 100 % certain but I was told that Mckeever couldn't commit because of work commitments.
    Mckeever I would rate as one of the best forwards in the county. For me him and Donal Lenihan in the full forward would be effective . He was on the panel in the early O Dowd years. And he played as a wing forward v Galway I think. He looked the business. Looked like an intercounty player. But since then with Simon town he has really come on. And I think he is one player Andy needs to try and get onto panel next year. I think he could be the real deal for us in the forward line. In the Donegal match you could see that Murphy and McBretty were the difference. We lacked more up top.
    Andy needs to add more firepower . I would like Daire Rowe to be given a chance as well as Seamus Mattimoe. But are two of the best forwards in the county. And I would like to see how they would do at inter county level. Mattomoe was on the panel this year and Rowe is junior Meath captain . Thomas Reilly should also be given more game time in the league. We need to add more firepower to Donal Lenihan up front.

Yeah had a feeling that McEntee wouldn't leave him out by choice. Pity as I agree that he's a fantastic forward. He probably would have been played last year had he not gotten a horrific injury in the first OBC game.

Two fixtures in the SFC tonight:
    Rathkenny v Duleek/Bellewstown, Simonstown, 7:45
    St. Pats v Ratoath, Skryne, 7:45

Ratoath - Pats game should be interesting. We're missing McMahon and Pats had a great win against Skryne in round 1.

Yeah had a feeling that McEntee wouldn't leave him out by choice. Pity as I agree that he's a fantastic forward. He probably would have been played last year had he not gotten a horrific injury in the first OBC game.

Two fixtures in the SFC tonight:
    Rathkenny v Duleek/Bellewstown, Simonstown, 7:45
    St. Pats v Ratoath, Skryne, 7:45

Ratoath - Pats game should be interesting. We're missing McMahon and Pats had a great win against Skryne in round 1.

Pretty sure we're down a couple for tonight as well due to holidays, can't blame lads heading off when they don't know when the champo is on early enough!

Not at the matches today but good to beat the Dubs in the U17.
    Am I too excited?

iDave wrote: »
    Not at the matches today but good to beat the Dubs in the U17.
    Am I too excited?
    Far too excited!!!
    Juniors leading Kilkenny 8 points to 5 at half time.

13 point win in the end. Up Meath

Final against Kerry. We'll be massive underdogs for that. Aren't the rules of who can play with Kerry completely different? I think players who have played senior football in Kerry can still play with their junior team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Rules are the same for Kerry as Meath.

The difference is that Kerry only have 8 senior clubs, the rest of their senior teams are divisional selections, whose players are still eligible to play inter county junior. We have (ridiculously IMO) 18 teams in our senior division.

This results in Kerry having a far wider selection. A player from the 9th best team in Kerry can play for their juniors, but in Meath the best team we can pick from would be our 19th.

Any whispers when the Junior final will be on, didn't get to anything today due to family stuff being on but I just want to say I'm in no way remotely excited by either result. Is there an All Ireland series in the U17? I just want to know so I can guard against future excitement here.

On another note anyone made any of the champo games yet? I was in Skryne last night, honestly thought 9 points flattered us against Ratoath, they left a couple of goals behind in the second half and looked fairly sharp. Probably will have tougher tests in the group but will be knocking about the business end anyway. I was disappointed with how we moved the ball and ran into bottlenecks in the second half, but couldn't complain at the result.

rpurfield wrote: »
    Any whispers when the Junior final will be on, didn't get to anything today due to family stuff being on but I just want to say I'm in no way remotely excited by either result. Is there an All Ireland series in the U17? I just want to know so I can guard against future excitement here.

On another note anyone made any of the champo games yet? I was in Skryne last night, honestly thought 9 points flattered us against Ratoath, they left a couple of goals behind in the second half and looked fairly sharp. Probably will have tougher tests in the group but will be knocking about the business end anyway. I was disappointed with how we moved the ball and ran into bottlenecks in the second half, but couldn't complain at the result.
    Supposedly Meath now play the Ulster U17 champions which, I think, are Tyrone.

Was in Skryne as well last night. Thought we did OK without being spectacular. Given we were missing 4 or 5 first teamers and then lost Cian O'Brien I suppose it's as good as we could hope for. While we defended well, we gave away some amount of stupid balls in our own half (one of which led to Mooneys quality goal). I'd fear that the likes of Dunboyne would really punish us.
    As a matter of interest rpurfield, any idea why Donal Landy didn't start for ye?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

A bit despondent after watching Galway demolish Donegal, was expecting Galway to win, felt that good footballers with accurate kick passing can break down these sh1te blanket defences that the likes of Donegal put up, we did not have enough decent footballers when we played them two weeks ago sad to say, McEntee has a big job on his hands.

Supposedly Meath now play the Ulster U17 champions which, I think, are Tyrone.

Was in Skryne as well last night. Thought we did OK without being spectacular. Given we were missing 4 or 5 first teamers and then lost Cian O'Brien I suppose it's as good as we could hope for. While we defended well, we gave away some amount of stupid balls in our own half (one of which led to Mooneys quality goal). I'd fear that the likes of Dunboyne would really punish us.
    As a matter of interest rpurfield, any idea why Donal Landy didn't start for ye?

As far as I've heard Donal's head has been turned by things that turn the head of a young lad around 18/19 and he hasn't been training. To be honest we could do with him Neil O'Flaherty and one of the other lads whose name escapes me are away travelling and we haven't a massive pick at the minute as it is, so it needs to be all hands on deck. To be honest we're probably one of those clubs Fergal Lynch would have been referring to in his column the other week, floating along at senior but not with a serious chance of making an impact!

Who was the red headed lad that scored the goal for ye, think he was wearing ten, a few of your clubmen beside me weren't gone on him and there was a lad the other side of me in a Donaghmore/Ashbourne tracksuit that seemed to know him but didn't rate him!

That lad was Tom Fadden. Bit harsh on him that some people aren't rating him given that he's only 18 as far as I know. Played with the Meath minor hurlers this year.
    He was a bit raw but for an 18 year old to come out of his first start in a SFC game with 1-1 (and could have gotten another goal if I remember correctly) is pretty decent going.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

rpurfield wrote: »
    As far as I've heard Donal's head has been turned by things that turn the head of a young lad around 18/19 and he hasn't been training. To be honest we could do with him Neil O'Flaherty and one of the other lads whose name escapes me are away travelling and we haven't a massive pick at the minute as it is, so it needs to be all hands on deck. To be honest we're probably one of those clubs Fergal Lynch would have been referring to in his column the other week, floating along at senior but not with a serious chance of making an impact!

Who was the red headed lad that scored the goal for ye, think he was wearing ten, a few of your clubmen beside me weren't gone on him and there was a lad the other side of me in a Donaghmore/Ashbourne tracksuit that seemed to know him but didn't rate him!

That's Tom Fadden - still only 18 or so. Think he's still minor.
    Played very well in what was his championship debut I think.
    Cian was flying in the first half, made some great surging runs.
    Once McGill got going, he was class in the backs.
    Didn't think anyone else really stood out.

Thought Niall Mooney started well, could tell he has a bit of class about him?
    Who were 5 and 11 for the Pats? 5 was a big man, caught a few kick outs and was powering forward. 11 got on a rake of ball throughout the hour also.

Overall, don't think Andy Mc watching on will have learned anything new regarding his current players or potential new ones

Jesus lads Tom is some size for a lad of 18 now, yeah 5 was Alan Vickers and 11 Darren Hagan, Alan would be good enough to be in the middle of the park if you ask me, serious hands on him. Darren done well alright got through a fair bit, having noone inside when Niall moved out to win some ball killed him though.

On another note what happens when a team gives a walkover in the championship? I see Walterstown gave us one in the Junior B today and likewise with Pauls giving Boardsmill one.

That junior final will be Portlaoise. Shame had home it would be CP before a senior quarter final.

At the Dunboyne - Skryne game tonight. Skryne will definitely have to get the finger out or they'll be in danger of relegation. Dunboyne hardly got out of 2nd gear and won pulling up. Could even afford to miss a penalty in the first half. Lowndes did very well for Dunboyne as did Gallagher. Dunboyne will probably be thereabouts but they'll get far tougher tests than Skryne. Can't see Skryne getting anything from their remaining games.

Anyone know how St. Paul's are surviving as a club? 10 losses out of 10 in the league with 4 losses from 4 in the Junior B championship (with a 33 point loss to Slane yesterday). They seem destined to be the only "first team" plying their trade in Junior C.
    It's a bit of a bizarre situation. While I know they reformed from the old Flathouse club, I always thought they were officially the club for Clonee? Their pitch is closer to Batterstown than Clonee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

The county board passed a motion a few months ago that no first team can get relegated from junior B unless they want to be, so they're safe for now.

I'd have thought they'd have enough of a pick to not be the worst club in Meath, but obviously not. Do all the young lads play for Dunboyne instead?

• Advertisement

The Meath U17 footballers will play Tyrone in the All Ireland semi-final on Wednesday the 9th of August in Breffni Park, Cavan. Throw in is at 7:30pm.

Advertisement