Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Syferus wrote: »
    The Roscommon/Cavan game was ten times the game Cork/Dublin was, .
    :rolleyes: Eh, ok. Lets just agree to disagree then.
    Did you actually watch the game?

The ros game was piss poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

yabadabado wrote: »
    The ros game was piss poor.

And did you watch it or just see 10 minutes of highlights? I have a hard time imagining many of ye having loaded up TG4.ie to watch a 'glamour' u21 tie between Roscommon and Cavan in Irish.

And did you watch it or just see 10 minutes of highlights? I have a hard time imagining many of ye having loaded up TG4.ie to watch a 'glamour' u21 tie between Roscommon and Cavan in Irish.

I was at it.

I was at it.

A Cavan fan, then? I'm sure it's rough when your team only gets four scores in an entire match but Cavan in no way played poorly, it was a wonderful contest marked by fantastic defending rather poor attacking. Different games, different styles.

A Cavan fan, then? I'm sure it's rough when your team only gets four scores in an entire match but Cavan in no way played poorly, it was a wonderful contest marked by fantastic defending rather poor attacking. Different games, different styles.

Roscommon fan.

• Advertisement

Roscommon fan.

;)

;)
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It's a bit rich you accusing a guy of bias after describing the game your team was in as ten times better than a game that had twice as many scores.

pot-kettle-black.jpg

Scores don't mean everything, that can be caused by persistent fouling, bad defending or a multitude of other reasons. This game wax a defensive battle but that's what made it entralling. In general GAA supporters need to learn to appreciate good defending (and not cynical Donegal 14-man system) rather than relying on the box score for validation of the quailty of a match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

roscommon fan here aswell, watched the game on tg4's live stream, and some of my family were in attendance.

And before there is any sniping, I watched all 60 minutes.

The quality of the game was extremely poor, Cavan were diabolical, their own media echoed that sentiment. Roscommon were not much better either. The only saving grace is that Ros secured a dirty win, something we would not have done in the past.

The Cork v Dublin was of extremely better quality.

To claim otherwise is just expressing wishful thinking ahead of the final. And make no mistake, Ros will need to up their game tenfold to have any chance.

Heres hoping.

• Advertisement

Scores don't mean everything, that can be caused by persistent fouling, bad defending or a multitude of other reasons. This game wax a defensive battle but that's what made it entralling. In general GAA supporters need to learn to appreciate good defending (and not cynical Donegal 14-man system) rather than relying on the box score for validation of the quailty of a match.

The amount of mis placed passes was criminal.

This game was actually open enough, although neither side could fashion opportunities to score from play. Nothing to do with blanket defence or anything, just a simple lack of quality. Neither side got out of first gear for the entire game.

The fullback line of Ros was badly exposed for both goals, and midfield will still be a problem, personally I did not see a major improvement in the middle of the field, Cathal Shine is excellent but he will be out of his depth (at this stage of his physical fitness) against Dublin. He is not ready yet.

Saying that, we can not be any worse come the final.

The second goal was in no way the Roscommon back-line 'being exposed', it was a fantastic shot by Tierney that no senior back-line in the country could have stopped.

The first goal Tierney scored was helped by the fact Tierney had pushed off Connolly, his marker, before the ball come in and hence why he was inside the full-back line when the ball came in. That wouldn't have come across in a TV broadcast it would have been following the ball.

In absolutely no way was that an open game, both defences played extremely tightly to their men and space was at a complete premium.

It's a pity people always seem to appreciate loose defending and scores over tenacious defending and a tactical battle. There's plenty of sports, like American Football, that people value matches in the vein of the Roscommon-Cavan game, but clearly that's not the case in gaelic football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Maybe just maybe some other people might be telling the truth Syferus or giving their own opinion without you ridiculing it, ever consider that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

The second goal was in no way the Roscommon back-line 'being exposed', it was a fantastic shot by Tierney that no senior back-line in the country could have stopped.

The first goal Tierney scored was helped by the fact Tierney had pushed off Connolly, his marker, before the ball come in and hence why he was inside the full-back line when the ball came in. That wouldn't have come across in a TV broadcast it would have been following the ball.

In absolutely no way was that an open game, both defences played extremely tightly to their men and space was at a complete premium.

It's a pity people always seem to appreciate loose defending and scores over tenacious defending and a tactical battle. There's plenty of sports, like American Football, that people value matches in the vein of the Roscommon-Cavan game, but clearly that's not the case in gaelic football.

LMFAO, I genuinely cant tell whether your drunk, trolling, outragously biased, a bit slow or quite possibly abit slow, either way carry on its quality reading :D

What handicap will you offer me on the final btw??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Tierney managed to find space in a crowded box to get his shot away, thats not exactly tight defending.

Its a pity some super fans are oblivious to any criticism their own team may be on the end of.

You were watching a "defensive masterclass", I was also at the game (Ros fan) and this is certainly not what I was watching, nor were most of the folk I spoke with during or after the game.

Most were of the opinion that we were lucky that Cavan were p*ss poor. And even at that, they pushed us to the pin of our collar.

As a previous poster put it, the amount of mis placed passes was criminal for an AI Semi Final. Roscommon can only be better the next day thankfully as they cannot be any worse.

This comes from someone who has been to all of our games by the way. The team is so much better than we saw on saturday thats for sure. but don't try and pass that muck performance off as a defensive masterclass. You do not concede 2 suspect goals when you are on top of your game defensively.

Syferus, I am sure you are a proud Ros GAA man, and I hope the lads can do it in the final.

But you really leave your judgement open to question if you consider that game at the weekend to be really good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭forfcksake

U 21 Sunday 6th of may in tullamore at 2

forfcksake wrote: »
    U 21 Sunday 6th of may in tullamore at 2

Fantastic for our supporters, we'll really need to up the support from the semi, though, Cavan put us to absolute shame in the stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭megadodge

Whiile Syferus may be going overboard, I think some of the absolutely ridiculous criticism from the other end is hard to stomach.

One poster didn't notice any noticable difference in midfield!!! Are you serious??? Or are you legally blind?? Did you see the Mayo and Sligo matches? Roscommon went from winning NO kickout in the air and almost no breaking ball against a team they were infinitely better than (Sligo) to completely dominating midfield for 2/3 - 3/4 of an All-Ireland semi-final. How does that not constitute an improvement?

People whinging about the defense, despite the fact that they conceded FOUR scores in an entire All-Ireland semi-final. The first goal was definitely a bit of a mystery as to how Tierney could get that much space, which makes Syferus's theory of a push seem quite credible. I wasn't happy with the second as the back who knocked the ball down should have been knocking it away from goals not back across it, but there's no denying the quality of the little jink to make space and the sublime finish. And that's it! Roscommon didn't concede a scorable free in a whole All-Ireland semi-final. It was an excellent defensive performance.

The forwards definitely coughed up possession a little too easily for my liking, but I thought the Cavan backs defended very well as the Ros full-forward line in particular are an extremely talented trio who will give any full-back line problems.

As for the misplaced passes. There were a few long kicks in the second half that carried over the heads of the forwards. They were frustrating as Ros were dominating clearly at the time but not showing it on the scoreboard, but other than that I don't recall any more.

You'd swear we were Kerry, who win All-Ireland semi-finals for fun the way people here are whining. Rocommon have reached their first u21 final in 30 years (I was there that day too) and so-called Roscommon supporters are calling the performance "muck" and "piss-poor". As opposed to what exactly? The glorious years of failure???

Enjoy the victories when we get them. They don't happen that often.

megadodge wrote: »
    Whiile Syferus may be going overboard, I think some of the absolutely ridiculous criticism from the other end is hard to stomach.

One poster didn't notice any noticable difference in midfield!!! Are you serious??? Or are you legally blind?? Did you see the Mayo and Sligo matches? Roscommon went from winning NO kickout in the air and almost no breaking ball against a team they were infinitely better than (Sligo) to completely dominating midfield for 2/3 - 3/4 of an All-Ireland semi-final. How does that not constitute an improvement?

People whinging about the defense, despite the fact that they conceded FOUR scores in an entire All-Ireland semi-final. The first goal was definitely a bit of a mystery as to how Tierney could get that much space, which makes Syferus's theory of a push seem quite credible. I wasn't happy with the second as the back who knocked the ball down should have been knocking it away from goals not back across it, but there's no denying the quality of the little jink to make space and the sublime finish. And that's it! Roscommon didn't concede a scorable free in a whole All-Ireland semi-final. It was an excellent defensive performance.

The forwards definitely coughed up possession a little too easily for my liking, but I thought the Cavan backs defended very well as the Ros full-forward line in particular are an extremely talented trio who will give any full-back line problems.

As for the misplaced passes. There were a few long kicks in the second half that carried over the heads of the forwards. They were frustrating as Ros were dominating clearly at the time but not showing it on the scoreboard, but other than that I don't recall any more.

You'd swear we were Kerry, who win All-Ireland semi-finals for fun the way people here are whining. Rocommon have reached their first u21 final in 30 years (I was there that day too) and so-called Roscommon supporters are calling the performance "muck" and "piss-poor". As opposed to what exactly? The glorious years of failure???

Nobody said Roscommon were piss poor. Rather it was stated that the quality of the game was piss poor.

Which it was, call it being defeatist, not as good a Ros fan as you, or whatever you like. I've been watching GAA for 30 odd years and I'm using my eyes to judge that game was of poor quality. That game in particular.

If you read back, there was acknowledgement that this Ros side are alot better than they showed last Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

megadodge wrote: »

Fair enough, you make some valid points.

Roscommon certainly weren't "piss poor" Saturday, they were good, but have more in them still. My argument was in relation to the general quality of the game, the standard of kicking, speed of movement etc...I thought the other semi was better, thats all. If I was a Rossie, I wouldn't be too bothered though, semis are for winning, thats all. I remember a lot of sheepstealers telling me they would be hammered by Mayo not so long ago, but they're only 60 mins from an AI now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭blowitupref

I remember a lot of sheepstealers telling me they would be hammered by Mayo not so long ago, but they're only 60 mins from an AI now...
    I doubt they thought that. Haven't Roscommon defeated Mayo a number of times in Minor,U21 in recent years?

Showing Saturday's game on TG4 now.just started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Showing Saturday's game on TG4 now.just started.

Thanks for that - it is now available in full on the TG4 player too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

the one thing thats been forgotten in roscommon reaching an all-ireland final is that they did it without 3 of their best players from that 2009 minor team ie Daniel Qualter, Shane Layden and Jack Carty who are all ireland under 20 rugby stars at present

rossie1977 wrote: »
    the one thing thats been forgotten in roscommon reaching an all-ireland final is that they did it without 3 of their best players from that 2009 minor team ie Daniel Qualter, Shane Layden and Jack Carty who are all ireland under 20 rugby stars at present

Qualter and Shine would have been one of the most magnificent midfield pairings in the history of the u21 grade. It all speaks to the amount of work being done at under-age to teach players the fundamentals of playing and training at a high level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Good luck to all the Roscommon team and management in Tullamore. It is a huge achievement getting to the final and ye are giving us a great day out.

But don't let anyone think we aren't in this thing to win - we are. Moist of the pundits who are tipping Dublin so strongly haven't even seen Roscommon play live. Bring it on.

Commiserations to Roscommon, really though at one stage in the 2nd half that you might have had us but thankfully we got back into it in midfield with a masterclass from Emmet O'Conghaile.

Your forwards were so economical with their shooting whereas we were very very wasteful but a 7 point win still flattered us in the end.

Is there many of those lads on the senior panel?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Changes from Roscommon came way too late, and I thought the referee left a few crucial things go for Dublin, clear throw ball and a few blatant pick ups off the ground, but those are the breaks of luck you create. At one stage I think that they lost five or six of their own kickouts in a very short period of time and no change seemed to be made, or a option to go short rather than long. I thought with ten mins to go that they would go on and win it, but Dublin came back very well. Future is bright for Roscommon football though

I thought the referee left a few crucial things go for Dublin,
    Ref was very generous towards the Rossies in the 1st half though. Jack McCaffrey winded in a challenge that wasn't even a distant relative of a shoulder to shoulder challenge.

Agree though that we did get a few calls in the 2nd half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Seven points flattered them imo, but we have a tendency to let teams pull away at the end when the game is gone and not let the scoreboard do us justice. Great support out again, half the county out in Tullamore naturally.

Better team won, both today and throughout the competition, they'd hammered basically everybody they played and we stuck very close for nearly the whole match. O' Conghaile was immense for Dublin.

Advertisement