Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweets & Snacks that are below 120 calories

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

For a salt & vinegar kick - the salt and vinegar sticks from Aldi (multipacks) are really good (better than chipsticks in my opinion) and are about 97 calories.

Also from aldi are the "roar bars" (fake Lion bars). They are about 1-2 bites in them and I think about 60 calories and are just a great little chocolate craving squashers.

Most of those multi packs of mini bars are great for a small sweet but under 100 calories. The trick is not to take more than one at a time. They are individually wrapped and for some reason this works psychologically for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

rubadub wrote: »

Thanks. I realised though these chomps are different to the Australian chomps which is what i instantly thought of when i saw your post :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Fudges are 110kcal. I find them very satisfying, a great ol' sugary kick off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Hartley's sugar-free jelly.

Should be able to get it in any supermarket.

It's a powder you mix with 250ml of hot water, stir and add 250ml of cold water.

Leave to cool and set.

500ml of jelly with less than 40 kcals but infinite NOMs.

Just scoffed my second Hartleys Strawberry jelly out of a small coffee cup. Delicious. I'm sitting here astounded that all i''ve consumed is 18 calories, I might do two trips up the stairs and back just to say I've burnt it off haha! Thanks again, great tip.
    rubadub wrote: »
    I am a sucker for mulitpacks, they are just so much cheaper I can't resist. Same with donuts. I had suggested freezing bars before so you cannot easily scoff them, some are tougher than others, like a frozen snickers would break your teeth.

It absolutely kills me inside that I have to lump out a euro for a single pack of crisps when I know I could get 6 or 7 of them for around €3. But if I can't control my urges at home I'm just going to have to take the hit in the pocket and buy them for immediate consumption
    .Kovu. wrote: »
    Velvet Crunch at 83 calories are always one of my favourite treats. Same for the sweet chilli Snack a Jacks at 108 calories.

I love Velvet Crunch, its one of my favourites and 83 calories is also rock bottom for a crisp.

Just wondering is it the case with popcorn if you make it at home its actually a pretty healthy snack (even more so if air popped rather than oil) but if you buy it in a supermarket it seems to have tons of added sugar, salt, etc that bumps the calories up. I'm pretty sure I looked at a regular popcorn packet a while back and it was something like 220 calories which kinda surprised me. Are there any popcorns that are deliberately low calorie commonly available in shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just scoffed my second Hartleys Strawberry jelly out of a small coffee cup. Delicious. I'm sitting here astounded that all i''ve consumed is 18 calories, I might do two trips up the stairs and back just to say I've burnt it off haha! Thanks again, great tip.

It absolutely kills me inside that I have to lump out a euro for a single pack of crisps when I know I could get 6 or 7 of them for around €3. But if I can't control my urges at home I'm just going to have to take the hit in the pocket and buy them for immediate consumption

I love Velvet Crunch, its one of my favourites and 83 calories is also rock bottom for a crisp.

Just wondering is it the case with popcorn if you make it at home its actually a pretty healthy snack (even more so if air popped rather than oil) but if you buy it in a supermarket it seems to have tons of added sugar, salt, etc that bumps the calories up. I'm pretty sure I looked at a regular popcorn packet a while back and it was something like 220 calories which kinda surprised me. Are there any popcorns that are deliberately low calorie commonly available in shops?

Manhattan popcorn is 130 calories for a big bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pingi

Chewits are 115cal per pack

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amklo

Chocolate rice cake - about 82kcals and big enough...spread a little peanut butter on the back and you've a healthier snickers like snack.
    Cadbury's mini rolls around the 100kcal mark
    Mini (2finger) kit kats - 107kcal, hit the spot and packs often on special offer too, bonus.
    "corn snack crisps" like meanies etc, all around the 100kcal mark compared with 200odd for hunky dorys etc

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭GunnerBlue

Muahahaha wrote: »
    These sugar free jellies- are they a speciality product for diabetics or would you find them in a supermarket? What brands should I look for

You can get sugar free jelly in lidl for 40 cents or so. Castello is the name of the brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

amklo wrote: »
    Chocolate rice cake - about 82kcals and big enough...spread a little peanut butter on the back and you've a healthier snickers like snack.

Steady on with the peanut butter. Easy enough to double the calories with an injudicious blob.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Try the plain rice cakes with peanut butter, 1 cake and half a tablespoon of pb is 80 cals and will leave you fuller for longer than choc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

Tigger99 wrote: »
    Try the plain rice cakes with peanut butter, 1 cake and half a tablespoon of pb is 80 cals and will leave you fuller for longer than choc.

I love peanut butter and oat cakes , or peanut butter and apple, high in calories but leaves you very satisfied

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Clionam22

Lollipops are brill, Lidls are 38kcals
    Nakd bars, most are under 100kcals
    Twisters, 70kcals
    Aldi have lots of 40-120kcal ice creams
    Coco pop/krispie bar, 83kcal
    WW Caramel cake bars, 89kcal
    Oreos, 54kcal each
    Drumstick/refresher bars, 76kcal

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I wonder if people could moderate highly palatable calorie dense junkfood like people are suggesting on this thread, would they ever have had a weight problem to begin with?

Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭cynicalcough

That is what people are writing about though - moderating junk food to a small percentage of daily calories. Some people do better cutting it out altogether but each to their own, there's no point being condescending and sanctimonious about it.

That is what people are writing about though - moderating junk food to a small percentage of daily calories. Some people do better cutting it out altogether but each to their own, there's no point being condescending and sanctimonious about it.

I'm neither being condescending nor sanctimonious, junk food is by design difficult to moderate. This is not a failing of the person, it's biology.

I don't doubt some people can do it, but read Sugar Salt Fat, it's a great book that goes into how highly rewarding food affects the brain reward systems in order to perpetuate cravings and overeating of that food. (BTW I'm not saying that sugar, salt or fat and inherently bad, but the unnatural combinations of these ingredients in processed food override our natural fullness mechanisms in the brain.)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭cynicalcough

I wonder if people could moderate highly palatable calorie dense junkfood like people are suggesting on this thread, would they ever have had a weight problem to begin with?

Just a thought.

If you genuinely didn't mean for the above to be condescending and sanctimonious then I would take a look at your communication skills because it certainly read that way to me.

I have read that book and many others and I get the point about being difficult to limit consumption but for some people having a treat as part of their calorie goals keeps them on the straight and narrow and prevents binging. Weight loss is a psychological game as well as a biological one so as I said each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you genuinely didn't mean for the above to be condescending and sanctimonious then I would take a look at your communication skills because it certainly read that way to me.

To be fair to ED, I didn't read it as sanctimonious or condescending.

It's why people are suggesting small bars and not to just have the occasional square of a Dairy Milk etc.

I have read that book and many others and I get the point about being difficult to limit consumption but for some people having a treat as part of their calorie goals keeps them on the straight and narrow and prevents binging. Weight loss is a psychological game as well as a biological one so as I said each to their own.

If it read that way to you then that is your problem I'm afraid.

Where is the evidence that it keeps people on the straight and narrow? All I see in people who try to moderate junk is their weight goes down for a time, then back up, then down again, then back up.

You seem to be taking the suggestion personally like it's an edict. I'm not saying you can never enjoy a mars bar again, just that most people who do well with weight loss long term (5 years+), break their destructive eating habits, and that includes reliance on 'treats'.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

You can have as much dust as you like

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

One finger of twirl is 115cal, put the other in the fridge until another time.

Will-power a must here though, :)
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Leilak

rice crispie buns would be low in calories

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

kerry4sam wrote: »
    One finger of twirl is 115cal, put the other in the fridge until another time.

Will-power a must here though, :)
    kerry4sam

That's a serious tough proposition kerry4sam!! I'd find it easier just to not have any at all rather than limit myself to one finger! :)

Advertisement