Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweets & Snacks that are below 120 calories

Options
  • 15-09-2014 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭

I've got a sweet tooth but always do my best to run a calorie deficit of 500 calories a day, which I generally achieve. As part of that I usually like to have a snack as a treat, provided the snack is 5% or less of my daily calorie intake. Which means it has to be 100-120 calories or so. Luckily since I began counting calories I've realised the big variances in calories between snacks. One day I had noticed how a bag of Hunky Dorys is 240 calories compared to 91 calories for a bag of Skips. So I quickly learnt that the snack you choose can make a big difference. Things like muffins are completely out for me now as they are often 400 calories and over, whereas before I wouldn't have thought twice about it.

It can be quite difficult to find crisps & snacks that are below 120 calories which is why I'd appreciate any pointers so I can widen my choices whilst still meeting my calorie goals.

So far all I've really found is

Rancheroes 95 calories
    Skips 91 calories
    Chewits 110 calories
    Fruit Pastilles 110 calories

If anyone knows of others please tell. Especially interested to find out if there are any chocolate products out there that come un under 120 calories, I think a Chomp might do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

Curly wurlies are 115 calories, they're my lifesaver when i'm craving chocolate and trying to be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Treat size twirl or dairy milk. 2 Jaffa cakes or 3 rich tea biscuits?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Purple snack bars
    2 finger kitkats
    Aldi hunky dory crisps are just over at 129

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

The humble freddo bar, sugar free jelly can also be eaten in industrial quantities.

Pretty sure the calories you have quoted for fruit pastilles are per 1/2 tube unfortunately :( crafty feckers

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Curly wurlies are 115 calories, they're my lifesaver when i'm craving chocolate and trying to be good!

Jaysis thanks for that. Your reply alone is exactly why I began the thread, I love Curly Wurlys but would never have thought that they are only 115 calories, I'll be having one or two of them every week from now on=)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Rice crackers.

conzy wrote: »
    The humble freddo bar, sugar free jelly can also be eaten in industrial quantities.

Pretty sure the calories you have quoted for fruit pastilles are per 1/2 tube unfortunately :( crafty feckers

Ah you're right on the Fruit Pastilles, thats them chopped so. Same thing happened me with a Kinder Bueno, on first glance I swore it was 120 calories but it turned out to be per stick, not per pack. This practice really should be outlawed, the food companies just run rings around the public sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I love Curly Wurlys but would never have thought that they are only 115 calories, I'll be having one or two of them every week from now on=)
    Curly wurlys can be got cheap enough in dealz or €2 type shops.

Most bars have reduced in size this year to be approx 250kcal, some did not change much if at all, e.g. double deckers were always around 250kcal.

So you could just get bars and cut them in half or in the case of twin finger ones just eat one. Thats if you can resist it, I know I can't.

Lots of these "airy" bars are low in cals simply because they are low in weight. You usually pay over the odds for them. A curly wurly has all the bits chopped out, aeros & wispas & malteasers are full of air. Some prefer the feel of these bars as they seem more substantial, and you might not scoff it as fast as if it was melted down and a solid bar of half or 1/3rd the volume.

I only found out this year that if bars are below 50g they do not have to decalre weight, this is why the likes of wispa or aero might not state it on the packet, it can often be calculated though or figured out off multipacks. Many usually big bars that shrank do state the grams if they are now below 50g though, like snickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

About 20g dark choc should hit the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Behind the Fence

Chomps are 90 I think.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 8 FlUtO

Toffee is quite low and can last a good while. Brush your teeth well after it though. !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Good thread. Some chocolate experts here! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

conzy wrote: »

I wholeheartedly endorse this.

Which reminds me...must make some now

Animal bars. 100 kcals.

Tasty and has bonus pictures of animals on them.

These sugar free jellies- are they a speciality product for diabetics or would you find them in a supermarket? What brands should I look for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Cadbury Snack Sandwich - 103 calories

These sugar free jellies- are they a speciality product for diabetics or would you find them in a supermarket? What brands should I look for

Hartley's sugar-free jelly.

Should be able to get it in any supermarket.

It's a powder you mix with 250ml of hot water, stir and add 250ml of cold water.

Leave to cool and set.

500ml of jelly with less than 40 kcals but infinite NOMs.

rubadub wrote: »
    Curly wurlys can be got cheap enough in dealz or €2 type shops.

Most bars have reduced in size this year to be approx 250kcal, some did not change much if at all, e.g. double deckers were always around 250kcal.

So you could just get bars and cut them in half or in the case of twin finger ones just eat one. Thats if you can resist it, I know I can't.

Lots of these "airy" bars are low in cals simply because they are low in weight. You usually pay over the odds for them. A curly wurly has all the bits chopped out, aeros & wispas & malteasers are full of air. Some prefer the feel of these bars as they seem more substantial, and you might not scoff it as fast as if it was melted down and a solid bar of half or 1/3rd the volume.

I only found out this year that if bars are below 50g they do not have to decalre weight, this is why the likes of wispa or aero might not state it on the packet, it can often be calculated though or figured out off multipacks. Many usually big bars that shrank do state the grams if they are now below 50g though, like snickers.

Yeah I think Malterasers are 187 calories and they promote it as a lighter chocolate.
    Like you there is no way I can split chocolate in half and leave the other half for another occasion. If its getting opened its getting eaten ! Its a pain which means I can never have multi packs in the house and I'm just liable to scoff the contents over two days rather than the week it was 'supposed' to be. I really think I have a sugar addiction so I have to control it by just buying treats when they're earned rather than storing them in the house.

Hartley's sugar-free jelly.

Should be able to get it in any supermarket.

It's a powder you mix with 250ml of hot water, stir and add 250ml of cold water.

Leave to cool and set.

500ml of jelly with less than 40 kcals but infinite NOMs.

Thanks for that, I must check it out as 40 calories is rock bottom stuff :D

Thanks for that, I must check it out as 40 calories is rock bottom stuff :D

Just checked there. Each sachet makes 570ml, not 570ml, which makes 4 servings *snigger* each of which has 9 kcals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Jaysis thanks for that. Your reply alone is exactly why I began the thread, I love Curly Wurlys but would never have thought that they are only 115 calories, I'll be having one or two of them every week from now on=)

Half a curly wurly is only 57.5 calories. Just sayin'...

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

I've been known to consume full pints of jelly in one sitting... I figure the whisking I do when making it has it burnt off already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Yeah I think Malterasers are 187 calories and they promote it as a lighter chocolate.
    Like you there is no way I can split chocolate in half and leave the other half for another occasion. If its getting opened its getting eaten ! Its a pain which means I can never have multi packs in the house and I'm just liable to scoff the contents over two days rather than the week it was 'supposed' to be. I really think I have a sugar addiction so I have to control it by just buying treats when they're earned rather than storing them in the house.

I think most people are guilty of this. :) I'd imagine it's tough for people who share with family where temptation is unavoidable.. I now live alone for most of the year and while it can be a bit lonely at times :o it certainly helped me with weight loss.

I shop pretty much day to day other than essentials. Probably more expensive but I only buy what I need when I need it. Buying value packs in Dealz might make economic sense but may be a false economy in the long run. :cool:

I can never have multi packs
    I am a sucker for mulitpacks, they are just so much cheaper I can't resist. Same with donuts. I had suggested freezing bars before so you cannot easily scoff them, some are tougher than others, like a frozen snickers would break your teeth.

I do freeze donuts, they freeze pretty well and I take one out and bring to work and its defrosted by about 11am.

Aldi do high % cocoa bars which are fairly small and a good price. It is harder to wolf one down as the taste is so strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kerryite

Hot chocolate satisfies my chocolate cravings! Cadbury's Highlights are 40 calories per cup when made with hot water, and a dash of milk doesn't add much more. Always good!

Kerryite wrote: »
    Hot chocolate satisfies my chocolate cravings! Cadbury's Highlights are 40 calories per cup when made with hot water, and a dash of milk doesn't add much more. Always good!

I use this one too. The Highlights are filling enough as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I freeze the party packs of mini bars from Lidl. They have fake snickers, mars, bounty, hazelnut snickers:D, and twix.
    Then I have a nibbly bar that takes me half an hour to eat!

Or a wodge of chocolate goo if I eat the frozen bar all at once. Mmmm.

Velvet Crunch at 83 calories are always one of my favourite treats. Same for the sweet chilli Snack a Jacks at 108 calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Chomps are 90 I think.

Where can you get Chomps?

mel.b wrote: »
    Where can you get Chomps?

http://www.dealz.ie/5pk-cadbury-chomp

5 for 1.49

tesco are cheaper at the moment, 12 for €3
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=279784888

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Aldi Moser Roth Dark Chocolate 70% Cocoa (5x25g bars in a pack). Each bar (25g) is 142 kcal.

2997995435_166ac18352_m.jpg

Advertisement