Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Love/Hate (v2) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

A 34 episode drama for here is a major achievement in itself - will the need for DVD sales prevent a Christmas Special send off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

styron wrote: »
    A 34 episode drama for here is a major achievement in itself - will the need for DVD sales prevent a Christmas Special send off?

There should be a 2 hour feature length special for Christmas next year to have on DVD in the new year.

lufties wrote: »
    Hmmm..Court cases and jail? not sure how that will be received, season 4 was a disappointment over all imo. Hope S5 will be an improvement.

Court cases and jail are bound to feature but who will end up inside? My guess is Fran for the dentist but may be wrong. Nidge could get done for Tommy and flee to Spain? Imagine seeing Fran and Noelie in prison together? Then, there's the possibility of seeing Lizzie again, conducting revenge on Nidge from behind bars (with Nidge again requiring Tony to sort things out in exchange for more cash).

Overall, I enjoyed season 4 as much as all the rest. Like season 2, the finale could have a bit more action (we could have seen the gardai take out someone in a shootout) but the obvious plan is all who survived until the end of series 4 are needed for 12 more episodes (with Dano probably dead/definitely left for dead but imagine if he was rescued and set up revenge against both Tony and Nidge?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Watched King of the Travellers the other night on TV3, which had a few Love/Hate alumni in it. Of course, Peter Coogan is in it playing another madcap character, but I was particularly impressed by the actor who plays Noelie Hughes, ****ing hilarious. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I watched King of the Travellers because I remembered it coming up on this thread - really excellent production, and some great performances - especially from the leading man, who played Patrick in L/H. Gonna see if I can track down the DVD...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Irish Indo with out of date info? (Hey, that rhymes!)

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/lovehate-fever-rises-again-as-shooting-resumes-30104610.html
    Season five of 'Love/Hate' features six episodes, with central character Nidge expected to flee to Spain.

Was it not confirmed that there'll be twelve episodes thistime around, or were they talking about season six having twelve episodes? Also, I thought the whole "moving to Spain" business had been pretty much debunked by now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I watched King of the Travellers because I remembered it coming up on this thread - really excellent production, and some great performances - especially from the leading man, who played Patrick in L/H. Gonna see if I can track down the DVD...

Its dirt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Irish Indo with out of date info? (Hey, that rhymes!)

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/lovehate-fever-rises-again-as-shooting-resumes-30104610.html

Was it not confirmed that there'll be twelve episodes thistime around, or were they talking about season six having twelve episodes? Also, I thought the whole "moving to Spain" business had been pretty much debunked by now?

That's weird. The story has always been that the 5th season is the last season and will consist of twelve episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Pic on front of paper today with aido Trish and Siobhan

Page 25 of daily mirror has a picture of a main character being shot. fcucksake! bulling I saw it now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

deise08 wrote: »
    Page 25 of daily mirror has a picture of a main character being shot. fcucksake! bulling I saw it now!

He wouldnt be a main character but still big enough spoiler. It was in the star also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Can someone please post who is shot as I don't have access to either paper. Maybe stick it in the spoiler tag to avoid annoying others? Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Once again, embarrassing behaviour from the rags in respect of this show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

With that news I'll have to unfollow this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

It was the cat!!! Back for revenge!!!

guttenberg wrote: »
    Can someone please post who is shot as I don't have access to either paper. Maybe stick it in the spoiler tag to avoid annoying others? Thanks!

I'm refraining from reading the Mirror etc as they reveal too much. Clearly, season 4 of Love/Hate was really season 4 episodes 1 to 4 with Dano's death being the climax. Episodes 4 and 5 of season 4 are part of a buildup to season 5 and belong more in this as that was what was planned and we saw a few stories being developed here with both major and minor characters. Without reading the rags, I'd say
    Glen/Guinea, the pipe bomb maker and/or Keith Duffy's drug dealing gym owner character, and/or Noelie Hughes may fall foul early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Just seen on Facebook they are filming at apartments along the quays. Girl put up a major spoiler. Better not put the picture up here or there'll be murder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,496 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Elmo dies
    according to one of today's daily rags

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

yea think you're right Liz they were filming in Coolock

Bump - Season 4 episode 1 was repeated at 10.15 tonight on RTE ONE in HD quality. Episode was just ending when i discovered it. Needless to say id imagine the rest of the series will follow over the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Is season 1 to 3 on netflixs for subscribers on Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Anyone else enjoying watching the re run tonight? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

nope...but thanks for reminding me to unsubscribe to this sh*t thread for a sh*t tv show

nope...but thanks for reminding me to unsubscribe to this sh*t thread for a sh*t tv show

Farewell, you'll be sorely missed :rolleyes:

This is the Love/Hate thread ... not the Tubridy thread :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Why did you subscribe to a thread for a show you think is $hite?

Hate this nonsense, not a massive fan boy of this show myself, but can't stand when people subscribe to a thread of a show they don't really like and then complain when they get notifications about people posting in it. Really intelligent people there.

I dont understand why RTE cannot show all seasons, starting from the first and not the 4th

Its the summer season so plenty of place in the TV schedule

Why wasn't elmo in season 2. I can't remember but while watching season 2 over the weekend I only realised he isn't in season 2 at all bit returns for season 3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

bazermc wrote: »
    Why wasn't elmo in season 2. I can't remember but while watching season 2 over the weekend I only realised he isn't in season 2 at all bit returns for season 3.

Wasn't he in hiding for most of Season 2?

DazMarz wrote: »

Think he was meant to have emigrated to Manchester as he told Nidge in the bar before he acquainted himself to Danno and Git for the first time (actor probably unavailable at the shooting of the second series)

Think he was meant to have emigrated to Manchester as he told Nidge in the bar before he acquainted himself to Danno and Git for the first time (actor probably unavailable at the shooting of the second series)

Yes thanks. I remember now. Cheers.

DazMarz wrote: »

And most of season 3 :)

Promo for the new season released.

Not really a spoiler but I've hidden this anyway
    It would seem from the ad that Fran has grown some sort of a conscience which is a bit of a turn-up for the books. Are we going to see a deeper side to him? Quite frankly i didnt expect that although i suspect its something to do with his late wife Linda

Talk of twelve episodes this season and said to be starting next month.
    Looks like Nidgey is out in Spain

Roll on the new series!!!!

• Advertisement

Plot summary for Season 5 here

http://rteonenewseason2014.rte.ie/drama/#mg_ld_227

Warning SPOILER ALERT

bazermc wrote: »
    Plot summary for Season 5 here

http://rteonenewseason2014.rte.ie/drama/#mg_ld_227

Warning SPOILER ALERT

Will be avoiding. Cheers mate. What the Fúck are RTE at trying to give the game away? :mad: Im afraid to look at a paper in a shop since the mirrors little revelation some weeks back.

Cant wait for season 5. Have a feeling it will be a big one. Meant to be 12 weeks long i believe. Could be BS.

Who is this guy? Haven't seen him in anything before but he looks an intense character. Id say he is based on Christy Kinahan going by the proposed storyline.

318612.PNG

This bellend from an old Mcdonalds ad and the rubbish that was the Centre is in next season's series along with Paul Ronan (father of Saoirse) and i think i heard 'Teeth' Duffy is also returning along with BF O'Byrne.

Johnny-Ward.jpg

Will be avoiding. Cheers mate. What the Fúck are RTE at trying to give the game away? :mad: Im afraid to look at a paper in a shop since the mirrors little revelation some weeks back.

Cant wait for season 5. Have a feeling it will be a big one. Meant to be 12 weeks long i believe. Could be BS.

Just the 6 episodes this season according to the rte website. Says 6 *60.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Well thats a pain in the hole then, the series needs to be longer then 6 episodes to breath

kryogen wrote: »
    Well thats a pain in the hole then, the series needs to be longer then 6 episodes to breath

I think what they meant by twelve episodes was the fact that series four was the front six and series five is going the back six. Typical RTÉ. Overpay the shít presenters like Tubs and no investment in domestic programmes such as this.

I am really looking forward to season 5 and it looks set to be very good from the clip I saw. I will avoid all tabloid papers the next while if possible and it was awful last year how they predicted everything that happened in season 4.

I wonder how things will be for all the main characters. Last time we met Nidge, he deliberately got himself into a police cell and then self harmed. Meanwhile, Fran was disillusioned with Nidge and felt he was cutting him out of the deal and he had murdered the dentist. Tommy was in a coma and Siobhan was cooperating with the police. The police had lost their chance to get Nidge due to Tommy's poor health.

If season 3 and 4 was all about the relations between Nidge and the IRA, season 5 seems to be set to be about what happens between Nidge and Fran. The big secret about Linda is about to come out at some stage. Will the IRA feature again I wonder? Tony? Lizzie? I hope they do have some role. With regard to some of the new characters, this Pauley seems to be a major obstacle for Nidge as does his boss. Clearly, Nidge still owes the IRA and owes this drug dealer too. With regard to the police, they will be more determined than ever to get Nidge and Siobhan could prove to be Nidge's worst enemy in the end who knows.

I think what they meant by twelve episodes was the fact that series four was the front six and series five is going the back six. Typical RTÉ. Overpay the shít presenters like Tubs and no investment in domestic programmes such as this.

I think that is what was meant too. I'd love a 12 episode season from September up to Christmas. It would pass the winter lovely.

Unfortunately, RTE do not spend their money wisely. Granted, Love/Hate would be very expensive to make but I'm sure if they had paid their presenters less they could make more episodes.

Tubridy's show is jaded and overlong and I hated the concept of The Frontline with Pat Kenny too. A depressing show basically made just to give Kenny a job post Late Late Show. The poor quality of these 2 chatshows is secondary it would seem. But programmes like this are cheap to make compared with Love/Hate. But that's policy: look after all these presenters (Gaybo gets them too but at least his programmes have been better than Tubridy's and Kenny's recent efforts). But with Kenny gone, couldn't his salary be used for 6 more episodes of love hate ??

I wonder what personas Nidge will take on this season. Last time around, Nidge was very depressed and paranoid a lot of the time and his mind was all over the place. Series 4 went out of its way to show Nidge had a conscience too (examples include he talking Fran out of killing Tommy, he shedding tears at his mother's funeral). He clearly had all the guilt over what happened to Darren (indirect) and Tommy (direct) on his conscience and then the whole Linda (Fran's wife) thing comes back after Nidge had sorted out the IRA threat, saved Tommy and buried his mother. Nidge's conscience was explored in series 3 as well with he breaking down and crying to Trish after being forced to kill Darren (Nidge's plan to have Darren killed failed but Lizzie got him instead).

From what I can see, I think series 5 will show Fran's conscience. Fran up until now has been portrayed differently in the 3 seasons he was in. In season 2, he starts out as a low level player who is not afraid to use his dogs to extract confessions from those who fell foul of him. He is largely a dark character and has big plans for himself and his wife (Barbados and all this). The injury and death of his wife happen but we are not concentrating much on it as the story moved on to other issues. In series 3, Fran was a much more stable, lighthearted character and the much needed fixer for Nidge's problems with the IRA. We see him as a good friend to Nidge. Coolaboola! In series 4, we see the darker Fran again with his personal war against Noelie and his threats to kill Tommy and his killing of the dentist (1 of only 2 killings personally by Fran: like Nidge and most of the main characters, Fran does not kill that many people himself). Cracks in his friendship with Nidge formed.

Fran could sink into depression and I'd say the Linda issue will come back to him and haunt him. In many ways, he must have known Nidge was someway involved? But he said in season 2 he was only interested in getting John Boy to Nidge (assuming someone else (Darren?) threw the pipebomb). With Darren handy to throw a pipebomb (at the IRA), I'm sure Nidge would have told Fran Darren did the Linda job? But if Nidge was to kill the pipebomb supplier, Fran would know the truth?

Nidge will emerge from his depressive state I'd say and take down some of his minor enemies early on like the pipebomber. Showdowns with the other drug dealer from Spain, the Gardai, and ultimately with Fran are all possible events. I am unsure if the IRA will be in it or not this time. I have a feeling Nidge will get into very deep water and as with other series, he will have multiple enemies to contend with as the season moves on. Only this time, some of them could be his former best friends Fran and Tommy as well as his niece Siobhan.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Skullface McGubbin

When the TV ads for series 5 hit our screens, They'll probably show some of the best bits as they did with series 4 (like Fran's scene when being questioned by the gards). And the Irish press will go out of their way to reveal as much plot details as they can. It's like they don't know the meaning of the word spoiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

When the TV ads for series 5 hit our screens, They'll probably show some of the best bits as they did with series 4 (like Fran's scene when being questioned by the gards). And the Irish press will go out of their way to reveal as much plot details as they can. It's like they don't know the meaning of the word spoiler.

Really can't wait for S5 and how the characters develop..S4 was quite poor, I was waiting for a major climax or plot development the whole way through. They need to ramp up the pace a bit, I really enjoyed S3, the best storyline IMO. The new characters look dangerous.

I reckon the lawyer Dave might be one of the characters to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It would appear that Tommy
    isn't in anything like a prominent position in this season - he appears nowhere in the trailer, isn't mentioned in the synopsis except to say that he's back in a coma and Siobhan is out for revenge, which we knew already - yet Killian Scott has talked about filming season 5 so we know he must be in it in some capacity... Hope he's not just an unconscious "prop" for the whole season, he's one of my favorite characters

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

It would appear that Tommy
    isn't in anything like a prominent position in this season - he appears nowhere in the trailer, isn't mentioned in the synopsis except to say that he's back in a coma and Siobhan is out for revenge, which we knew already - yet Killian Scott has talked about filming season 5 so we know he must be in it in some capacity... Hope he's not just an unconscious "prop" for the whole season, he's one of my favorite characters

Tommy will probably pass on, no point in speculating though.. I wonder will RTE act the bollix and make me have tofind the new episodes on dodgy websites :(

lufties wrote: »
    Tommy will probably pass on, no point in speculating though.. I wonder will RTE act the bollix and make me have tofind the new episodes on dodgy websites :(

It is hard to know what they'll do with Tommy. He will undoubtedly not be left in a coma the whole season: he will either die or come to.

Of course, if he does live and starts remembering things, all hell could break loose. Nidge would have no option but to kill him perhaps framing him for Linda's murder to cover his tracks with Fran. There was a hint that he was starting to remember things before he fell down in season 4's episode 6. He said Nidge had Darren killed and Nidge had to try and convince him it was the IRA. I felt Tommy suddenly started remembering things and I'm sure this theme will be explored deeper.

He more or less ended season 4 as he had season 3 so I think they'll either have him make a full recovery and become a threat to Nidge or else they will kill him off from complications due to his injury leaving Siobhan even more determined to bring Nidge down. Either way, it appears bad news for Nidge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement