Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sense8 [Netflix] [** Spoilers **]

• 21-06-2014 7:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,887 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

J. Michael Straczynski & Wachowskis's Netflix Sci-fi show picking up quite a good International cast.

Naveen Andrews (Lost)
    Daryl Hannah (Kill Bill)
    Freema Agyeman (Doctor Who)
    Terrence Mann (The Dresden Files)

This maybe Netflix's biggest Original show as it is being shot in the UK, Seoul, Mumbai, Nairobi, Berlin, Mexico City, San Francisco and Chicago.

The only thing given away about the show so far is.
    “a gripping global tale of minds linked and souls hunted”

deadline

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I've been looking forward to this for a good few months now, once I saw that JMS was on board. He hasn't had a chance to really flex his creative muscles since B5 - 'Jeremiah' was riddled with studio interference. Hoping the Netflix platform gives him a chance to start up with big story arcs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,887 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

ixoy wrote: »
    I've been looking forward to this for a good few months now, once I saw that JMS was on board. He hasn't had a chance to really flex his creative muscles since B5 - 'Jeremiah' was riddled with studio interference. Hoping the Netflix platform gives him a chance to start up with big story arcs.

I really just hope JMS is the show runner and not the Wachowski's.

The Wachowski's have some amazing idea's but what they don't have is some one to rope them in and say stop right there that is prefect. Hopefully JMS can do that.

The one thing I have noticed from all the Netflix Originals is that Netflix have given the show runners total creative control for the good or for bad they have put there faith in the creative process and not interfered.

Straczynski describes the 10-episode sci-fi drama, which is being shot in nine locations on four continents: “The series follows eight characters around the world who, in the aftermath of a tragic death, find themselves linked to each other mentally and emotionally. They can not only see and talk to each other as though they were in the same place, they have access to each other’s deepest secrets. Not only must they figure out what happened and why and what it means for the future of humanity, they must do so while being hunted by an organization out to capture, kill or vivisect them.”

A bit more revealed about the story.

J. Michael Straczynski.
    We are going to tell a story on a planetary scale. No cheats. In ways no one else has ever done before.
    We are going to treat subjects that most TV series, and pretty much all SF series have avoided.
    We are going to present visuals and action in ways that you have simply never, ever seen before. Anywhere.
    In 2015 we are going to blow the doors off the television business.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2014/10/13/jms-promises-to-blow-the-doors-off-tv-with-netflixs-sense8/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Max Riemelt!:pac:

I can't wait for this programme personally, I think it'll be good, always nice to squeeze more exclusives out of that €7 a month! :pac:

• Advertisement

The Wachowski's Say They Filmed A Live
    Birth
    For Their TV Show Sense8

Spolier interview with Wachowski's linked

This is going to be a rated TV-MA+ from this :D

Spoiler Link

Set to debut on June 5th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Online TV forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,511 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hard to judge on a short trailer. Based on the hype I was expecting it to be more out of this world. So, bio/neuro stuff, mental abilities and special skills, yeah?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Really looking forward to this. Netflix are absolutely on point with their originals now, they're only going to get better from here as well since their subscribers is constantly growing and they've basically secured themselves in the same league as the big US TV networks HBO, Showtime and Starz. I really hope they land a show that's considered on the same level as the 'GOATs' like The Wire, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, The Sopranos and True Detective.

If the action in this is on the level of Daredevil then I'll enjoy it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

My favourite German actor is in this, I may watch it so!

Actually really excited for this haha :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

Fantastic opening episode so far with an incredible soundtrack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I'm hoping to watch tonight after work and a few drinks!

5 episodes in and, while it is no Daredevil, it's still a pretty interesting watch. What I do like is that they do explore the cultures of the 8 - it does remind me of Lost in many ways, how you're still not entirely certain about what is going on.

Something that is kind of interesting is the fact that one of the characters underwent gender reassignment, which is what one of the Wachowski siblings went through.

I have to say I am enjoying it and it starts to make more sense (no pun intended) as the episodes go along. 5 episodes in.

I think more than any other streaming show I have watched this is built for binging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

First episode didn't completely grab me, but I'll stick with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

3 episodes in and I'm on the fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Have watched up to episode 6 - I like it.

It seems to go at a slow pace sometimes but I think it works with the show. Not known what the other episodes are about - I'm guessing they're giving us time to get to know each character and building up to when they're all fully aware of each other completely.

In regard to Nomi
    Are the doctors and her mother aware that she is a member of the sense8 and trying to break up the group by carrying out the operation or is it just her mother has a lot of control what happens in the hospital and wants to turn Nomi back to Michael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭paulheu

ixoy wrote: »
    'Jeremiah' was riddled with studio interference.

It was still outstanding TV though, IMO much better than most drivel we get served today. I actually re-watched the series last months after I finished B5 (again) ..

I heard that JMS might actually be or get involved with one of the coming StarTrek Fan productions. Some of his major partners in B5 are already there..

If true, that would be fantastic I think as I believe that for all the (past) competitiveness he is probably one of the few able to actually tell true Trek stories.

But maybe that's food for another thread one of these days..;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Not a fan. Too preachy, and every character seems like a token character of every culture and race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Imnotthehulk

Watched the first episode ... and some of it was painful to watch. The transgender character was the most transgender character a transgender character could be. The dialogue between her and her girlfriend was terrible at times.

But there does seem to be enough in the episode to justify giving it a go, hopefully things improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

One of the most disappointing pilots/ first episodes I've seen in ages. Plodding, directionless nonsense, with terrible dialogue and poor acting.

For something that appears to be big event drama with high concept it was incredibly boring.

I'll stick with it for the time being because I like the premise and I expect it to pick up in terms of plot at the very least and with a lot of to shows, hopefully the performances improve as the season goes on and actors get more comfortable with their roles .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I didn't especially like the pilot and only watched the second episode because of my deep abiding love of B5. But episode 2 was very enjoyable and I'm in for the whole ride. The great thing about this, is that with JMS you can have faith that there is a story here with a well plotted beginning, middle and end and won't be like all the big event shows that are all concept no follow through.

3 episodes in though and I have one big question. -Not a spoiler.- Why the fúck do so many European characters live in apartments with weird unfinished internal walls? It's a weird choice on the part of the set designer and keeps taking me out of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

I'm three episodes in and while I felt slightly more interested in proceedings as the third episode closed, I'm still not at all sold on it.

Started it last night and to be honest I felt like watching it was a bit of a chore. For such an exciting premise, with eye-catching locations and an interesting soundtrack, I found myself completely disconnected with all of the characters and the story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

That was Awesome! I intended to watch 1 or 2 episodes a night for the next week or so, but just ended up binging the whole thing today. Loved every second.

I think it's one of those shows that people will either really love or absolutely hate - I can't see there being a whole lot of middle ground. That said it does get better as it progresses and things start to make more sense along the way.

I hope it gets renewed, because this was a really good origins story, but I'd be ecstatic to see more.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

I have watched it all now and I definitely think you need to watch it all before deciding if you like it or not.

First season was only introducing the characters - the next stage of their lives as one starts in season two hopefully if it's renewed.

As I said with an earlier post this really is the first online show I felt was made for binge watching.

It really is a 12 episode pilot.

If it was to shown week to week it probably would have been cancelled after the first episode.

As I said with an earlier post this really is the first online show I felt was made for binge watching.

It really is a 12 episode pilot.

If it was to shown week to week it probably would have been cancelled after the first episode.

Completely agree- there have been so many shows that didn't deserve to be cancelled, for reasons exactly like that - they deserved to be binge watched and not week-by-week.

Can you imagine if Firefly and the like had been released on Netflix and given the time to grow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Watched it all over the weekend and really enjoyed it. The first episodes are a bit of a hump to get over and some of the initial exposition of the characters is painfully earnest but it really kicks into gear for the second half of the season and some of the interactions between the different characters is brilliantly handled. It's a pity we'll have to wait a while year for the second season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Was undecided about it during the first two, but very much enjoyed the third episode.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

up to ep 10

love it!!!

id say it was a continuity and logistical nightmare!!!

Tena Desai is absolutely stunning.......id watch her reading the dictionary.

im not sure if its the character or the actress but that Nomi one annoys me. Everything seems so over acted.

I think the dialogue is brilliant for the most part, a couple of dodgy scenes but not bad.

I can feel the chemistry between Will and Riley and between Kala and Wolfgang.

Never been a big fan of Naveen Andrews tbh. Liked him in This Life but Lost put me off.

finished this last night and found it brilliant. Really picks up in the second half of the season.

nc19 wrote: »
    Never been a big fan of Naveen Andrews tbh. Liked him in This Life but Lost put me off.

I think you're confusing him with Ramon Tikaram. Ramon was in This Life. Naveen was in Lost and The Buddha of Suburbia.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

I think you're confusing him with Ramon Tikaram. Ramon was in This Life. Naveen was in Lost and The Buddha of Suburbia.

My apologies you are correct. The rest of my post I stand by!!!

Finished it last night. Pretty fantastic overall. The interaction between the characters are fantastic. But was a lot more shots of babies being born than I had thought there would be.

Also good to see a TV show that was unashamed at being targeted towards an adult audience, without any sort of filter whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Put on one episode of this last night & ended out watching four!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Started and couldn't stop. Loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Incredibly unique show. Never seen anything quite like it.
    Of course you can draw some comparisons to Lost, Heroes and to a lesser extent Touch (or at least the pilot), but the execution is truly different.
    It's not always an easy watch, with some dialogue serving solely as exposition and there are a lot of conveniences (I guess that lies within the concept). It can seem preachy as well at times, but it still remains compulsive viewing. Plenty of adult scenes, and yeah, the orchestra scene is truly bizarre and quite graphic.
    It's really at it's best when they visit each other, especially as it progresses and they understand what's happening and how to control it.

Incredibly unique show. Never seen anything quite like it.
    Of course you can draw some comparisons to Lost, Heroes and to a lesser extent Touch (or at least the pilot), but the execution is truly different.
    It's not always an easy watch, with some dialogue serving solely as exposition and there are a lot of conveniences (I guess that lies within the concept). It can seem preachy as well at times, but it still remains compulsive viewing. Plenty of adult scenes, and yeah, the orchestra scene is truly bizarre and quite graphic.
    It's really at it's best when they visit each other, especially as it progresses and they understand what's happening and how to control it.

One of my favourite scenes was when the Mexican guy meets the American cop for the first time and the cop asks, "do I know you?", to which the reply is, " we had sex", and his subsequent awkwardness is great!

One of my favourite scenes was when the Mexican guy meets the American cop for the first time and the cop asks, "do I know you?", to which the reply is, " we had sex", and his subsequent awkwardness is great!

That scene was hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I thought it was a slow burner to be honest, but I'm hooked from episode 4; it really ups the action and the story starts to unfold from there I think.

I thought it was a slow burner to be honest, but I'm hooked from episode 4; it really ups the action and the story starts to unfold from there I think.

Yeah, I wasn't convinced after the first couple of episodes but it really kicks in with the second part of the season and the greater interaction of the characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Imnotthehulk

Have watched the complete series now ... and I did find it to be worth a watch. Considering the creators I found the transgender character's story to be very clunky, her mother was practically a panto villain, serves her purpose, then is dropped like a hot potato. Once the action gets going though it's a lot of fun.

If a second season was never made, I wouldn't miss it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Haven't read any of the above comments.

Not the best show in the world. There was so much filler. Little connections to all of the 8 characters, The Mexican only connect really at the end. The Icelandic girl was the most well written character who's story continue right through out until the end.

Looked excellent and was well write but ah tokenistic at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Elmo wrote: »
    Haven't read any of the above comments.

The Icelandic girl was the most well written character who's story continue right through out until the end.

speaking of, who's in the graves in ep 10(?)
    Husband and baby?

• Advertisement
Advertisement