Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Caff Caff

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/nov/13/warm-autumn-wildlife-oddities?commentpage=1#start-of-comments

Check out this article and comments. Very interesting and absolutely true...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Interesting yes and absolutely true because the autumn is extraordinarily mild - even warm. 14.3c at the moment which was a typical afternoon temperature during the very cool summer, no wonder nature doesn't know whats going on!
    At this stage I think I'm looking at the same chart every day it changes so little.

brack0.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Caff Caff wrote: »
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/nov/13/warm-autumn-wildlife-oddities?commentpage=1#start-of-comments

Check out this article and comments. Very interesting and absolutely true...

I feel I should go on that site and troll climate change.:D

I am sure some of these people were there saying it was all a lie during the snow last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

Friday, 18 November, 2011

"OUTLOOK ... Breezy, mild but turning somewhat colder, timing rather uncertain, seems most likely to be around Friday 25th."

Just wondering wat MT would be meaning by the 25th? sorry if im being silly i just not sure what the date is to do with:confused:.

(in my head sayin with fingers crossed: please be snow, please be snow, please be bloody snow) oh a girl can dream!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Turning 'somewhat colder' from the present 10-12c brings us to average temps for this time of year. The charts beyond the 25th show transitions from current set-up to cooler weather and back to milder weather, hence why MT probably is uncertain about the timing. One thing is clear is that a pattern change is on the way come the 25/26. The Atlantic will lose its firm handle on our weather and there is a massive pool of cold air to our nw, nw and ne. The charts presently show high pressure holding its position over Greenland in late Nov into early Dec, with 1/2 Scandinavian highs forming. One to watch and see if the models stick to this set up. If they do then we could be heading toward our first proper wintry outbreak of the season sometime during second week of December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭weathermaiden

Why am I so impatient for the sn*w to come by Christmas?? I don't know why I keep forgetting that January is totally winter too. Also I am more likely to be "sn*wed in from work" in January when I'm actually meant to go and don't want to! :pac:

I just hope there is some kind of snow event in December... I'm finding it hard to get into the Christmas spirit when it's 14 bloody degrees out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Over on Netweather their long range forecaster posted this, and its not good for cold in December at all, MT's update was different to this
    Looks a lot like December's expected pattern starting to make itself apparent in the modelling, with the exception of operational ECM and ECM mean which are marked outliers in my book.

Key to this is the westward shift of the main upper trough over Alaska pepping up the ridge over the Canadian Arctic (this has been over Hudson Bay for much of the autumn in various strengths). The Pacific ridge looks flat and the eastward shift in the Canadian ridge looks likley to nudge our trough further east resulting in a consequent nudge to the ridge over Scandinavia.

The concensus NAEFS H5 mean has been for a temporary weakening of the Scandinavian ridge as the pattern flattens out in response to the upstream change however it should be noted that the composite analogue package doesn't make much of the Canadian ridge in the longer term, prefering to shift this south into the Atlantic with a strengthening positive anomaly over Finland, something NAEFS is also hinting at the end of runs to rebuild heights over Scandinavia as the Canadian ridge wanes.

All of this does suggest a bit more emphasis on a westerly or south-westerly type pattern for the UK.

For anyone thinking the ECM might be onto something, I would advise a look at how the ECM models the MJO in the next 15 days (much the most progressive of all reliable global models) and ECM spreads for our part of the world.

Still absolutely no sign of anything remotely cold, quite the reverse in fact with the forecast flat upstream pattern not going to help things in the future either.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭weathermaiden

Over on Netweather their long range forecaster posted this, and its not good for cold in December at all, MT's update was different to this

The Johnny Sexton of winter... the occasional great moments that we wait for in between the mostly dreadful performances.... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Turning 'somewhat colder' from the present 10-12c brings us to average temps for this time of year. The charts beyond the 25th show transitions from current set-up to cooler weather and back to milder weather, hence why MT probably is uncertain about the timing. One thing is clear is that a pattern change is on the way come the 25/26. The Atlantic will lose its firm handle on our weather and there is a massive pool of cold air to our nw, nw and ne. The charts presently show high pressure holding its position over Greenland in late Nov into early Dec, with 1/2 Scandinavian highs forming. One to watch and see if the models stick to this set up. If they do then we could be heading toward our first proper wintry outbreak of the season sometime during second week of December.

Mid December seems to trending for a colder outbreak. A more normal Irish wintery event rather than the severe disruptive type which would be grand by me!

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Brian Gaze, one of the forecasters over on TWO has just posted the following:

This may well turn out to be a mild winter, and I may issue a mild winter forecast, but the worries of some coldies at the moment are unjustified. The coldest and most prolonged winters have kicked off at Xmas or later, and in some ways 2009/10 was unusual, as the snow arrived about Dec 17th I think. Definitely a case of patience grasshopper, patience.
    Brian Gaze
    Berkhamsted
    TWO Buzz - get the latest news and views

Hands off our land

I think its fair to say no one knows what this winter will bring....it could go either way or just be average...!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

derekon wrote: »
    Brian Gaze, one of the forecasters over on TWO has just posted the following:

This may well turn out to be a mild winter, and I may issue a mild winter forecast, but the worries of some coldies at the moment are unjustified. The coldest and most prolonged winters have kicked off at Xmas or later, and in some ways 2009/10 was unusual, as the snow arrived about Dec 17th I think. Definitely a case of patience grasshopper, patience.
    Brian Gaze
    Berkhamsted
    TWO Buzz - get the latest news and views

Hands off our land

I think its fair to say no one knows what this winter will bring....it could go either way or just be average...!
    Ha Brian...snow arrived Nov 26th actually ..
    I'm happy enough to run with MT - January.
    MT was correct last year on the start of it.
    Quite a bit off after that in forward projecting a return of snowy cold for Jan 11.
    I'd expect he's so into his methods that he'll have tweaked his research for this years winter forecast I've a fair bit of faith in him so yes patience people!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

derekon wrote: »
    in some ways 2009/10 was unusual, as the snow arrived about Dec 17th I think.
    blackius wrote: »
    Ha Brian...snow arrived Nov 26th actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

blackius wrote: »
    Ha Brian...snow arrived Nov 26th actually ..

He is talking about winter 2009/2010 though (not sure why) so he sort of right on the dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Yep, first snow of 09/10 arrived here on the 17th of december, only last about 2 days though.

I think people are trying very hard to pick holes in what he said to convince them selves that his forecast for a mild winter is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Caff Caff

He is leaving it open when he says MAY... this mild weather is killing me!! Constantly feel as though my head is full and will explode...roll on the cold!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Anyone know what has happened to Irish weather online?

http://www.irishweatheronline.com/

It seems to have stopped broadcasting on 31st October.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Anyone know what has happened to Irish weather online?

http://www.irishweatheronline.com/

It seems to have stopped broadcasting on 31st October.

Some of the info and argument here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056445469

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

gfs-3-132.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

A glancing blow that develops into absolutely nothing unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Sorry wrong thread nevermind!

• Advertisement

redsunset wrote: »
    A glancing blow that develops into absolutely nothing unfortunately.

Yep, still nice to see, and deep FI is a lot better. A heartwarming FI. Pity it won't happen *sniff*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Yep, still nice to see, and deep FI is a lot better. A heartwarming FI. Pity it won't happen *sniff*

Well with the 528 dam line right over my house, it could prove to be something . . .and it's not even extreme FI!

A million times better than anything we've seen over the last month!!!

Well with the 528 dam line right over my house, it could prove to be something . . .and it's not even extreme FI!

A million times better than anything we've seen over the last month!!!

Yeah, it wouldn't mean snow for here but still nice to see that line over Ireland at only 130 hours or so. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Yeah, it wouldn't mean snow for here but still nice to see that line over Ireland at only 130 hours or so. :P

I was going to say not often it happens in November, and then i remembered last year . .. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭oisingeogho

uksnowrisk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

uksnowrisk.png
    I love seeing those charts but they are rarely accurate as far as I can remember

I think we need a big storm of some sort to take everyones mind off things :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Jake1 wrote: »
    I think we need a big storm of some sort to take everyones mind off things :)

:D:D:D:D

Back on topic...

18Z GFS is rolling, will it give us anything to smile about? Stay tuned...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

Anything nice on the charts showing up?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement