Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

will do.
    Struggling to get add ons done in plex.
    Not giving up though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Right,
    Got Netflix and skygo plugin installed for plex, both work but are flaky enough.
    GUI on Netflix is very basic and wouldn't replace the one on Apple TV.

Box is great and I reckon more plugins and apps will come in the next weeks.
    Anyone needs any help or have any questions giz a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭JohnnyRoyal

Just got mail stating its been delivered from nowtv. Used parcel motel address (first timer) do i need to put some money in parcel motel account now though or what? Also got the 6month sub deal and via uk iTunes address got the iPad app to test and v impressed with service (watched enter the dragon - classic! :-)
    Looking forward to getting box now and plexing the sh&t out of it! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Mine is my parcelmotel but I'll collect tomorrow.
    Will try out plex with the various add-ons and report back

Well just picked it up and for approx 12e this is a great little device even for just the iplayer (with uk vpn/dns)
    I signed up for the 6month 15stg movie offer (2.5stg a month then cancel) and it is nifty enough, menus are quick to navigate no lag.

The parcel has everything, the box, hdmi lead remote and even two batteries.
    Can't wait to have a proper play with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

Is there any way to get Channel 4oD onto this without the need for any extra servers in the house running software?

The 4oD Plex plugin currently isn't working on any Roku as they changed the login method on the 4od site or something, I'm sure it will be fixed eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

The 4oD Plex plugin currently isn't working on any Roku as they changed the login method on the 4od site or something, I'm sure it will be fixed eventually.

Thanks, would that have needed a computer on the network running some other software anyway? Or would that plugin talk directly to 4oD if it was working?

Well, just did the dev thing to the box and all went okay but plex (IMO) is bloody horrible.
    Nothing worked - netflix/itv/youtube/reddit
    I am using unotelly's dns on my router but I don't think plex likes it or unotelly doesn't like it.
    I'd never dream of using plex to stream my local files, it took an age to 'retrieve' and then ffwding etc was useless.
    Maybe I'm doing something wrong but the plex experience on this nowtv box via the homeserver I chose wasn't great for me at this time. (I'll try again by installing on another server.)
    EDIT: My error, used a lowpowered server not able for transcoding - plex is fine on capable hardware

12e for a portable Iplayer is excellent though plus anyone that can't get sky and wants their movies or sports it's very good though very expensive at full price per month and day.

BBC iplayer - very good, loads fast and menus have no lag though there is some menu text garbling
    BBC News app - very good, feature rich
    Sky News app - surprisingly a bit duff
    Spotify - I'm a free subscriber at present so couldn't use it
    Demand5 - think my DNS service is temperamanetal with it, it works on the Demand5 app on my bluray and is hit and miss through a browser, loads the menus but fails to play any content on nowtv
    Sky Movies - The layout of the movies is excellent (genres/collections etc) and playback is smooth.

Have you tried using Plex's plugins without changing DNS on your router? Youtube etc. run perfectly smoothly for me and I'm just using 3g. Streaming local files is very quick for me too.

• Advertisement

Have you tried using Plex's plugins without changing DNS on your router? Youtube etc. run perfectly smoothly for me and I'm just using 3g. Streaming local files is very quick for me too.

It could be the server I installed plex media server on - it streams video no problem + is a download/backup/file server but has no dedicated gfx card just the onboard graphics chip.
    I'll try it on my tv server and post back.

Yup, rushing to try plex out and installed on a low powered server not able at all for transcoding! stuck it on my tv server which has a bit more grunt and runs fine
    I've corrected my post above;)
    Plex is nice :) and to have it running on such a low priced box like nowtv is fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

You can get Sky Sports but it's £10 a day.

Get 6 month of Sky now for £15 here. The offer ends tomorrow so make sure you buy it before your box comes!

Watch this video for the process to install Plex, an app that lets you stream local files on your computer to the box.

There are other apps you can install straight from the box (Vimeo, TED talks etc).

Also it might be possible to install Netflix and Sky Go but I haven't tried it yet.

Edit: I got the Youtube channel working on Plex so I'd assume all of the Plex channels (Netflix etc.) work, but I don't have a Netflix subscription to check.

Any chance of posting the links here for the Netflix & Skygo plugin?

I tried signing up and posting on 10 threads (actually posting about the issues at hand in the threads) and got banned for posting on 9 threads in the space of 2 or 3 hours saying I was trying to boost my boost count. It wasn't as if I was posting 2 or 3 word answers. They were all a few paragraphs in lenght.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭meolwan

Still waiting for my box to be delivered but signed up for the 6 months using the link posted on this thread. I am looking forward to playing with my new toy :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭thegift06

Hi guys,

I currently have the UPC Cisco router (yes the one with rubbish wifi signal), just wondering will everything work on this if I get it or has anyone had any difficulties with buffering speeds or even losing signal, cheers. I know its only €11.89 but want to see if there have been any difficulties to date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

thegift06 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I currently have the UPC Cisco router (yes the one with rubbish wifi signal), just wondering will everything work on this if I get it or has anyone had any difficulties with buffering speeds or even losing signal, cheers. I know its only €11.89 but want to see if there have been any difficulties to date

I have a Cisco EP3925 router and on the 30MB plan. The router is upstairs in a room of a three storey house. The Now TV box is on the ground floor in the sitting room where the signal is usually hit and miss. The box hasn't had any issues connecting.

I'm quite surprised tbh. I thought I'd never get even a weak signal. But it's showing as fair, holding a constant connection and playback is smooth and perfect. No pausing or buffering at all. Really happy with the wifi range it's picking up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

DubDJ wrote: »
    I have a Cisco EP3925 router and on the 30MB plan. The router is upstairs in a room of a three storey house. The Now TV box is on the ground floor in the sitting room where the signal is usually hit and miss. The box hasn't had any issues connecting.

I'm quite surprised tbh. I thought I'd never get even a weak signal. But it's showing as fair, holding a constant connection and playback is smooth and perfect. No pausing or buffering at all. Really happy with the wifi range it's picking up.

I have the Cisco Router but 150MB plan and my router is in the office upstairs far away from the sitting room where the box is. I have good coverage of WiFi (especially when I change to 5 GHz but even on 2.4 GHz).

Also I changed the router DNS to unotelly to get iplayer working on the box.

Now the box unfortunately only does the 2.4 MHz not the 5 MHz which is a shame because my AppleTV runs on the 5 to get better bandwidth but I found that beside occasional buffering at heavy fast forward the box get's a good streaming result in NowTV, iplayer and USTVNOW. The only thing I can't get working is 5 on Demand which is down to unotelly I assume.

I have not tried Plex because I use my AppleTV for streaming.

looder wrote: »
    Any chance of posting the links here for the Netflix & Skygo plugin?

I tried signing up and posting on 10 threads (actually posting about the issues at hand in the threads) and got banned for posting on 9 threads in the space of 2 or 3 hours saying I was trying to boost my boost count. It wasn't as if I was posting 2 or 3 word answers. They were all a few paragraphs in lenght.

Sorry I don't have them!

On a side note, the navi-x plugin also works fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Can xbmc be put on this ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

That's the million dollar (€11.89) question - most of us are hoping the box eventually gets hacked to put xbmc on it.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Sorry I don't have them!

On a side note, the navi-x plugin also works fine.

How did you manage to get navi x on it thinking of getting one.

astrofluff wrote: »
    That's the million dollar (€11.89) question - most of us are hoping the box eventually gets hacked to put xbmc on it.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=169852&pid=1471459#pid1471459
    XBMC dev wrote:
    That's not XBMC compatible at all. Not even a tiny little bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

How did you manage to get navi x on it thinking of getting one.

Easy as pie, get Plex on it and then just drop the navi x plugin for Roku (google) into the folder, restart and off you go

Yep, not sure if navi x is frowned upon here so I won't link to the plugin.

Can't get any channels to work from it though, only movies. Think that might be a problem in general right now with Plex plugins on Roku.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭TheInspector

Yep, not sure if navi x is frowned upon here so I won't link to the plugin.

Can't get any channels to work from it though, only movies. Think that might be a problem in general right now with Plex plugins on Roku.

I dont think it will be frowned upon , this is basically a thread for the nowtv box so anything that can help please do, im going to edit the op and put a few links in etc.

• Advertisement

Never mind cant edit any more :/ my 48hrs is up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

What do people think are the chances that this will receive regular firmware updates that will ruin any unofficial stuff you put on ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

long_b wrote: »
    What do people think are the chances that this will receive regular firmware updates that will ruin any unofficial stuff you put on ?

You can just turn off auto update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

Never mind cant edit any more :/ my 48hrs is up.

If you can post any links in this thread that would be great, ordered one last week waiting for delivery, not much of a tech guy so hopefully reading through the posts will help and one post with links would be handy :-) cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭konline

It will probably change today or tomorrow, I ordered mine last Friday at around 11 am and is only ready for collection today.

Got mine today, very happy with my purchase. Thank you OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

have upc broadband,anyone know how to change dns settings on upc so i can view the iplayer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    You can just turn off auto update.

where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    where?

I haven't got the box below yet bit someone said it a couple of pages back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Anyone got a link to a working Netflix for Plex channel ?

konline wrote: »
    Got mine today, very happy with my purchase. Thank you OP.

Glad to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

Ordered this at the weekend.
    Also i just signed for the 6 month offer, still working, even if it says it will end the 4th of august :)

One question, if i install the Plex as per instructions here, it does not overwrite any Sky stuff etc, so i can use both in the same device?

Yes, you can install one dev app as an extra, in this case Plex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Will this work with just plex, no subscriptions?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Easy as pie, get Plex on it and then just drop the navi x plugin for Roku (google) into the folder, restart and off you go

Any way to install the navi x plugin on the box without plex.

• Advertisement

Shane_ef wrote: »
    Will this work with just plex, no subscriptions?

Yep

Any way to install the navi x plugin on the box without plex.

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Hank Moody

How would you go about finding the netflix developer file?

sham69 wrote: »
    Right,
    Got Netflix and skygo plugin installed for plex, both work but are flaky enough.
    GUI on Netflix is very basic and wouldn't replace the one on Apple TV.

Box is great and I reckon more plugins and apps will come in the next weeks.
    Anyone needs any help or have any questions giz a shout.

What plugin did you use for Netflix?
    I can get listings but nothing plays - afaik, Netflix blocked unofficial 3rd party plugins from working?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

FREE SKY SPORTS DAY PASSES

http://www1.skysports.com/cricket/ashes/huggity/1st-test 0 left
    http://www1.skysports.com/cricket/ashes/huggity/2nd-test few left
    http://www1.skysports.com/cricket/ashes/huggity/3rd-test

Either link will work, but more passes (600+) left on 3rd-test link

Select 'continue without facebook', go to 'find treasure'

Simple treasure hunt game. Find Ashes urns. Find three out of five and answer a question correctly on each urn, enter name & email (any one seems to work and isn't needed to claim the code)

Code is revealed on screen. Note the code and redeem on NowTV website.

Only one code can be reeemed at a time it seems but there is no indication that codes expire,

Clear cookies and go again.......

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

How do you find urns? I'm trying for 10 minutes and cant find one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Has anyone with A HTC One managed to control this box via the TV app, I've had no luck....

• Registered Users Posts: 11 already_taken

Ro-76 wrote: »

zoom in... and follow the blue radar map on the LHS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

Ro-76 wrote: »

Use the radar thing on the left to locate the urns. Pan left or right until the dot is centred and scroll your mouse to zoom in. Most are quite obvious

If like me cricket isn't your thing, the answers can be found with a quick Google. They repeat often and the third question is always "on sky sports"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭WIZWEB

fdevine wrote: »
    FREE SKY SPORTS DAY PASSES

http://www1.skysports.com/cricket/ashes/huggity/1st-test
    http://www1.skysports.com/cricket/ashes/huggity/2nd-test
    http://www1.skysports.com/cricket/ashes/huggity/3rd-test

Either link will work, but more passes (600+) left on 3rd-test link

Select 'continue without facebook', go to 'find treasure'

Simple treasure hunt game. Find Ashes urns. Find three out of five and answer a question correctly on each urn, enter name & email (any one seems to work and isn't needed to claim the code)

Code is revealed on screen. Note the code and redeem on NowTV website.

Only one code can be reeemed at a time it seems but there is no indication that codes expire,

Clear cookies and go again.......

Cheers. Appears to accept each code :)

Advertisement