Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Check your tumble dryer (fire-risk)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Based on their build quality, I wouldn't *want* a new one that cost me more than zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

The latest update is that some people are having smoking with the new replacement model that's supposed to be fresh off the production line! Not only that when engineers are called they're telling people it's "safe smoke"...you know when an electrical appliance just starts smoking for the sheer hell of it. I wouldn't touch one now either.

If you've paid by credit card or debit card there's a chance of refund via you card company
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases

I'm going to give it a try anyway. Seems some people have already been successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Just a word of warning for anyone registering their appliance, make sure to use your postcode!!! I registered last november online, didnt use my postcode and the form still went through, received an automated email saying i would be contacted in 5 weeks, heard nothing! Received a letter this morning asking me to register my applicance! Did it again, didnt put postcode again(we are moving home soon), new email said contact in 10 weeks! Rang the number on the letter, bounced around from billy to jack, no one could search my previous registration as they can only search via postcode apparently, and I should have received a customer number but didnt so looks like the original registration never even went through. And by registering again this morning, it would have bumped me back to the end of the q again anyway!
    Must add that all this was done via the uk customer service as no one was picking up in the irish office(if it even exists) so the girl couldn't really give me any info re ireland at all!
    Absolute sham!
    The number on the letter was freephone 1800 804 320, but either it redirects straight to registration dept in the UK if not answered in ireland or there is no irish number really and all calls go to the uk.

Does anyone have any sort or irish contact number or email address? As i need to make some serious complaints!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Anyone can haggle a good deal on a new dryer, 30% savings could probably be got on from a 'better manufacturer' during a typical sale.

I registered the fault with them in November, now they're saying I have to wait until May, for someone just to take a look at it, 7 months!
    Now they want me to buy a new one from them, as if.

https://safety.hotpoint.eu/status

Can I ask, did you use your postcode when you registered? I also registered last November and heard nothing from them at all, never received a customer number. After receiving a letter today asking me to register my tumble drier, I rang, and after much bouncing back and forth it seems if you don't use your postcode the registration doesn't go through!
    I can't remember if I used mine, but they can only search the database with postcode and surname and couldn't find anything relating to me.
    Also it was the uk I was out through to, so don't know if there's a separate Irish database or if all calls go to the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

A few months ago details were released of a serious fault with some Indesit, Hotpoint and Creda driers that can lead to fire and are unsafe to leave alone while in operation. At the time they offered to fix that fault for people affected who register online. However now in the UK they've changed that offer and consumers who have one of these machines can avail of the chance to buy a new drier at 1/3rd of normal price. If your drier ison the older side this might be a good offer for you.
    It takes upto 12 weeks after registering your drier to have your case dealt with. Might be worth regging now if you're affected.
    If your drier is less than 12 months old they'll give you a new one.

You can check if your model is affected and reg on the website for the brand name you have.

Surely they should be replacing the drier for free if the item is faulty?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Lux23 wrote: »
    Surely they should be replacing the drier for free if the item is faulty?

They are repairing free of charge, but also offering a discount if you don't want a repair. Once the repair fixes the issue, then that's good.

Not sure if the OP meant 30% Off RRP, or 30% of RRP.

30% of RRP would mean a €200 dryer for €60 (excellent deal)
    30% off would mean €140 (not great)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

You're right it's a sham of a company [Hotpoint, Indesit, and Creda] (Whirlpool owned) are likely responsible for x750 house fires (source: Which?) over in the UK 2004-2015 inc. Hotpoint models accounted for the highest number of dryer-related fires with 410 in a three-year period.

They still haven't classed it as a product recall which it should obviously be.
    Wouldn't want a new discounted version of their poorly-built machines neither.
    Even if you manage to get an email reply, may have to wait +6mths for technician.

tumble-dryer-fire-risk-424215.jpg

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-02-12/plan-for-automatic-recalls-after-tumble-dryer-fires/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34901765
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/victims-sue-tumble-dryer-makers-7348113
    http://www.which.co.uk/news/2016/02/whirlpool-still-advising-consumers-to-use-fire-risk-tumble-dryers-432969/
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-3330462/Fire-risk-forces-maker-Hotpoint-Indesit-Creda-recall-appliances.html
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3440084/Nearly-one-blaze-day-blamed-tumble-dryers-figures-show.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Threads merged

dudara

Did anyone see the case featured in the media this week of a lady whose house burned down while using one of these dryers on safety alert ? She has 5 young children and they're all now in tempory accommodation from the council. Her home insurance won't cover it as it is a faulty product. She got this letter today from Hotpoint offering her 175 pounds as a goodwill gesture on condition she give them the burned out dryer!!

This is her home now.

12688350_1528145730818802_7557307276706806847_n.jpg?oh=ac054c9c70be9fa3240e9c31615dc5a4&oe=57665EAF

This is the only contact from Hotpoint

12729119_1530701460563229_4490767513946270003_n.jpg?oh=6e4ced0f6c20394ab656e570b24e5661&oe=575AB537

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Just a word of warning for anyone registering their appliance, make sure to use your postcode!!! I registered last november online, didnt use my postcode and the form still went through, received an automated email saying i would be contacted in 5 weeks, heard nothing! Received a letter this morning asking me to register my applicance! Did it again, didnt put postcode again(we are moving home soon), new email said contact in 10 weeks! Rang the number on the letter, bounced around from billy to jack, no one could search my previous registration as they can only search via postcode apparently, and I should have received a customer number but didnt so looks like the original registration never even went through. And by registering again this morning, it would have bumped me back to the end of the q again anyway!
    Must add that all this was done via the uk customer service as no one was picking up in the irish office(if it even exists) so the girl couldn't really give me any info re ireland at all!
    Absolute sham!
    The number on the letter was freephone 1800 804 320, but either it redirects straight to registration dept in the UK if not answered in ireland or there is no irish number really and all calls go to the uk.

Does anyone have any sort or irish contact number or email address? As i need to make some serious complaints!

That number redirects to a call centre that Hotpoint have outsourced the admin to. It's not their actual customer service department and it's a waste of time ringing them unless you already have a customer number.

I got the same runaround - no postcode so no record of my registration and no customer number, hours on hold, automated responses on Twitter, Facebook and from their Contact Us facility etc.
    I then emailed every address I could find online for Hotpoint/Indesit/Whirlpool
    I got an immediate response from Eileen Quinn, the corporate secretary of the Whirlpool group
    corporate_secretary@whirlpool.com

I was issued with a customer number and was contacted by Indesit UK customer relations the next day. They've arranged for an engineer to call on Wednesday to inspect the dryer and fit the new back and lint trap and they'll call me again on Thursday.

My 10 week wait dropped to four days so It might be worth dropping her an email Cherrycola

• Advertisement

I'm a little suspicious of them giving people the run around with the whole postcode business. When they rang me I just gave them my name over the phone and the man I spoke to found me in their system immediately based on my reg. I didn't use a postcode either.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm currently planning to buy a completely new, non indesit, dryer and then take a small claims case for the cost of the clearly dangerous wreck. These are obviously dangerous enough that they need a hard stop order made. I've seen scorched lint in the heater element of mine when fixing another design fault and feel lucky it didn't go up.

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm currently planning to buy a completely new, non indesit, dryer and then take a small claims case for the cost of the clearly dangerous wreck. These are obviously dangerous enough that they need a hard stop order made. I've seen scorched lint in the heater element of mine when fixing another design fault and feel lucky it didn't go up.

Taking a scc case? Do you have any knowledge of the scc process?

Your case won't even be looked at.

My guess is you're just grandstanding

VincePP wrote: »

Why would the case not be looked at?

The OP bought a dryer that had an inherent fault that rendered it in contravention of a central tenant of the sale of goods act, ie that it be fit for purpose. Anything that can't be completely safely operated surely is not fit for purpose.The only remedy available to him at present is wait until the dryer is fixed by hotpoint which will likely be quite a bit off. There's much evidence online suggesting the fix doesn't prevent fire, some home insurers are even unwilling to cover fire arising from a faulty dryer that's been fixed. I would think he would have a decent chance of success with scc, is there something I'm missing?

I do - I suspect you don't. Firstly, every case is looked at - if you think they aren't you don't know what you're talking about.

Device is inherently faulty and they're making no moves to properly repair

In London, Leigh Day (lawyers) have taken on x13 cases which may end in payouts of up to £300,000 each. But this is for damage caused by these machines that the insurers refused to pay out on. This could set some precedence.

Ideally the NSAI (National Standards Authority of Ireland) and the TSA (Trading Standards) in the UK, should just class it a full immediate 'product recall' on the basis of safety. Not just a product 'alert'. White goods (excluding cooking equipment) should not require full and continuous attendance when operating.

L1011 wrote: »
    I do - I suspect you don't. Firstly, every case is looked at - if you think they aren't you don't know what you're talking about.

Device is inherently faulty and they're making no moves to properly repair

Have you requested a repair via the retail store you purchased the item from
    Have you exhausted all avenues with the retail store.

No? - then no case possible.

Any court action is as a last resort - not a first option and would be against the retailer, not the manufacturer

Your case will be regarded as invalid based on taking it against hotpoint.

Have you requested a repair via the retail store you purchased the item from
    Have you exhausted all avenues with the retail store.

No? - then no case possible.

Any court action is as a last resort - not a first option and would be against the retailer, not the manufacturer

Your case will be regarded as invalid based on taking it against hotpoint.

I'll be going against the retailer - DSG. They've refused as "its out if warranty"

I know what to do here, thanks. Don't need to be lectured about a very well known procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mitch61

Our dryer which is 10 months old is on the famous list for modifcation but im insisting on a replacement as it still new we are getting the run around from harvey norman and hotpoint anyone else try for replacement

mitch61 wrote: »
    Our dryer which is 10 months old is on the famous list for modifcation but im insisting on a replacement as it still new we are getting the run around from harvey norman and hotpoint anyone else try for replacement

Ive seen some people on this facebook page with dryers less than a year old get refunds and replacements from Hotpoint. They've been hard won. It's taken harrassing on twitter and facebook but it is happening for people with dryers less than one year old. Definitely don't give up and accept modification. Harvey Norman should by my understanding on the Sale of Goods act help you though. I'd print out articles of homes going on fire while people wait for modification, bring them down and raise a bit of hell if I was you.

• Advertisement

Thanks have loads of information as were waiting for a call back from harvey norman

We were told by hotpoint uk that we will get a replacement but still waiting ...im been very quiet until nect week and im going to cause hell..harvey norman and hotpoint have been very poor in their response especially harvey norman in waterford ..its too long a story to go into it now has anyone else got a replacement in ireland

6 months is the standard waiting time before a tech will bother show up. They have recently started placing numerous 'safety notices' in the press to cover themselves from the 700+ directly related fires across the uk in the last decade, and any future ones.

The only thing that will move it forward is a full semi/state backed product recall notice, or mass group legal actions.

If it was a jar of coffee with very very small risk of brightly coloured plastic pieces mixed in the contents,
    you could be sure of a full, immediate, no-quibble recall+refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭nagel

Has anyone had any contact from Hotpoint on this I have an email from hotpoint from 25/11/15 and not a word from them since,
    Very bad service from them regarding a safety issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mad Martina

Nagel, I too have heard nothing, registered with them on 27/11/15. Where do we go from here?

Cheers guys. Stumbled across this thread on the front page earlier and I remembered that my parents have a Hotpoint dryer. Gave my mam a call and passed on the info - it's one of these ones!

maybe give joe a call, anyways it was around 19 weeks ago since I registered mine , drying twice a week , and supervising it so that would be around 40 hrs maybe send a bill to hotpoint for 40 hrs at the minimum wage

if you go to https://www.hotpoint.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/WHRHelpContactUsView?catalogId=10585&langId=-11&storeId=10236&krypto=XEgFKVk%2F9Onsva4iDIAN2w%3D%3D&ddkey=http:WHRHelpContactUsView

you may have to copy and paste the link you can send a form message from there, they say that the'll reply within 48 hrs
    will then try the cai

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chancer12

Am totally apoplectic here. Got a safety notice from Hotpoint regarding my washer/dryer. Two options - (1) have someone come and fix the machine - not possible because I would have to wait 3 weeks min for a Saturday callout. (2) Discount towards new machine. I am beyond frustrated trying to get through to anyone in Ireland. The website for the notice doesn't work. The tel no 0818 313 413 keeps routing me through to the UK who know nothing about it. I have been given an email address that doesn't work - safety.hotpoint.eu. when I queried the absence of @ they assured me it would work. I have spoken to at least 20 call centre staff who insist on my calling the 0818 number which in turn transfers me back to the UK

Has anyone else managed to get this resolved? :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement

Try safety@hotpoint.eu, it's worth a go, sent the email with the delivered confirmation flag set, then you'll at least know that it was delivered or not.

Advertisement