Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garden County Trophy

• 06-01-2012 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭

Anyone know when this starts, i just joined druid's heath and hear its a good competition and serves as a good warm up to the Barton Cup which I will also be new to as i joined from a munster club. Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Don't know anything about the Garden County Trophy but presume it's an inter club competition something like the Barton Cup. As such if you've just after joining Druid's Heath do you not have to be with your club for at least a year before you're eligible to play interclub competitions? Actually maybe it's just a case that you need to hold a valid GUI handicap for at least a year before one is eligible to play interclub competitions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭saintastic

Don't know anything about the Garden County Trophy but presume it's an inter club competition something like the Barton Cup. As such if you've just after joining Druid's Heath do you not have to be with your club for at least a year before you're eligible to play interclub competitions? Actually maybe it's just a case that you need to hold a valid GUI handicap for at least a year before one is eligible to play interclub competitions?

It depends on the competition but generally, you only have had to play four qualifying competitions the previous year in a club in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Redzah

Think its just a valid GUI handicap Collossus. Think the Garden County Trophy is same format as barton cup for Wicklow clubs. Sounds like good craic and will hopefully get to know some members from playing in it (if i get picked)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Yep, same format as Barton Cup and for South Dublin and Wicklow teams.

Whyner wrote: »
    Yep, same format as Barton Cup and for South Dublin and Wicklow teams.

Thanks, Any idea when it starts??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Not sure, but I reckon w/e of Jan 21st. I'm sure someone else will confirm.

Whyner wrote: »
    Not sure, but I reckon w/e of Jan 21st. I'm sure someone else will confirm.

Cheers Whyner, u playing in it yourself? i'm looking forward to getting back into some competitive interclub golf after a couple of years without it

• Registered Users Posts: 21 fordbrian21

Are first match is Saturday the 28, not sure if the other games start the week before...

Are first match is Saturday the 28, not sure if the other games start the week before...

Cheers Brian, what club are u with?

i'll have to figure out who's in charge of the DH team so i can get involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Hacker111

Its on Feb/March.. i played last year .... its a warm up and team selction comp for Barton (which is one of the top comps as far as I can see). We play Druids on 25th Feb, first match is 12th for Wicklow v. Woodenbridge. Its a good inter club thats not taken too seriously, its all about Barton;)

• Advertisement

Redzah wrote: »
    Cheers Brian, what club are u with?

i'll have to figure out who's in charge of the DH team so i can get involved

not sure how DH works, ur usually just asked in Wicklow if your interested to be on a panel for selection.... each club is different though... might be hard if its ur first year in the club to breakthrough...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 fordbrian21

I'm a member in arklow,ya it's a good warm up for the Barton,its nice to get a few games before the first round....

Hacker111 wrote: »
    Its on Feb/March.. i played last year .... its a warm up and team selction comp for Barton (which is one of the top comps as far as I can see). We play Druids on 25th Feb, first match is 12th for Wicklow v. Woodenbridge. Its a good inter club thats not taken too seriously, its all about Barton;)

Cheers hacker, hope to see u on 25th of February.

Any idea when the draw for Barton/PP are made by GUI?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

I've seen them out in the first week in Jan so it seems late this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

Anybody know what clubs are in the comp this year and what groups they are in?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭airguitar

Anybody know what clubs are in the comp this year and what groups they are in?

Group 1
    Arklow
    Druids Heath
    Kilcoole
    Wicklow
    Woodenbridge

Group 2
    Blessington Lakes
    Coolattin
    Killerig
    South County
    Tulfarris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Rathsallagh are one of the ones to have left the competition. I heard, however true it is, they felt that in the early season, losing matches wasn't helping the teams confidence. It's an interesting point. The theory obviously being that you're highly unlikely to get a properly motivated and sharp team in February, and so won't do yourself justice.

Of course, everyone's in the same boat, but some clubs have key guys who take the winter off, and others don't. Sure we'll see.

Tulfarris will be an interesting addition. Good win for their Barton team over Milltown in R1 last year.

Rathsallagh are one of the ones to have left the competition. I heard, however true it is, they felt that in the early season, losing matches wasn't helping the teams confidence. It's an interesting point. The theory obviously being that you're highly unlikely to get a properly motivated and sharp team in February, and so won't do yourself justice.

Of course, everyone's in the same boat, but some clubs have key guys who take the winter off, and others don't. Sure we'll see.

Tulfarris will be an interesting addition. Good win for their Barton team over Milltown in R1 last year.

I played for Wicklow last year in GC.. we were tanked by everyone bar Glenmalure.. then we went the farthest in Barton! Unlucky to lose 3/2 to Delgany in Leinster Q/F...

I think by playing the early GC games you can quickly work out good pairings and who does play well in such comptitions/formats

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

I nearly shudder at the thought of social golf early in the season, let alone competitive stuff :) I know I wouldn't get a look in if it were based on February golf for me but it is interesting to have a bit more exposure to the general format of foursomes matchplay.

• Advertisement

Blessington Lakes Fixtures so far
    4th Feb v Tulfarris
    11th v Killerig
    18th v South County

airguitar wrote: »
    Blessington Lakes Fixtures so far
    4th Feb v Tulfarris
    11th v Killerig
    18th v South County

Saturday's match between South County and Killerig has been postponed until 3 March

South County 3
    Tulfarris 3

Any other matches today?

Druids heath V Kilcoole was postponed as Kilcoole was unplayable. The was a suggestion to play all 6 matches in DH but Kilcoole rejected it.

Druids heath V Kilcoole was postponed as Kilcoole was unplayable. The was a suggestion to play all 6 matches in DH but Kilcoole rejected it.

As far as I know, the competition rules are that when one course is on, all six games go there. It happens most years for one or two fixtures.

Yes, it's rough on the other club, but it reduces match call-offs, and after all, the whole idea is just to get out for some BC practice.

I could be wrong, but on the face of it it seems like bad form by Kilcoole.

In a similar situation two seasons ago, Blessington Lakes called their course "on", despite the greens being flooded. This was to stop all six matches going to the opponent's course, which was South County.

It's a shame, as it's a great competition, but this kind of nonsense makes a farce of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

As far as I know, the competition rules are that when one course is on, all six games go there. It happens most years for one or two fixtures.

Yes, it's rough on the other club, but it reduces match call-offs, and after all, the whole idea is just to get out for some BC practice.

In a similar situation two seasons ago, Blessington Lakes called their course "on", despite the greens being flooded. This was to stop all six matches going to the opponent's course, which was South County.

It's a shame, as it's a great competition, but this kind of nonsense makes a farce of it.

I would agree and thought the exact same. There's being competitive and there's being unreasonable. It's only February ffs. It's not the Barton Cup and is 'supposed' to be a more casual matchplay competition as warm up/experimentation for B.C. even though that's not written anywhere.

I would wager most other clubs would have happily agreed to 6 away if their course was closed.

Last year Wicklow had to play all 6 away to Kilcoole! Due to a double booking by Wicklow the GC fixtures had to be changed....unfortunately Kilcoole were not very flexible and pushed for all 6 at their place which they duly won.... Kilcoole's focus on the GC seems skewed....

Hacker111 wrote: »
    Last year Wicklow had to play all 6 away to Kilcoole! Due to a double booking by Wicklow the GC fixtures had to be changed....unfortunately Kilcoole were not very flexible and pushed for all 6 at their place which they duly won.... Kilcoole's focus on the GC seems skewed....

Seems strange that they place such importance on this. I wasn't involved last saturday when it was due to take place but from what i heard the majority of their team were happy to play all 6 in DH but their team manager/captain rejected it. Any Kilcoole members out there want to give their version as I am a DH member and may have heard a biased version??

Seems strange that they place such importance on this. I wasn't involved last saturday when it was due to take place but from what i heard the majority of their team were happy to play all 6 in DH but their team manager/captain rejected it. Any Kilcoole members out there want to give their version as I am a DH member and may have heard a biased version??

lol, yea...Wicklow put more focus on getting the society out rather than the GC games! Money first..... 40 hungry golfers please

• Advertisement

Your post is pure nonsense Sheet, I played against South County in that match 2 years ago and the match was played both home and away. I think the guys we played against were called Conor and Ronan, out match finished all square.

Your post is pure nonsense Sheet, I played against South County in that match 2 years ago and the match was played both home and away. I think the guys we played against were called Conor and Ronan, out match finished all square.
    He didn't say all six matches went to SC, he said they should have. I played that match too in SC and can't speak for the condition of BL but I was one of the wettest days I ever played golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

He didn't say all six matches went to SC, he said they should have. I played that match too in SC and can't speak for the condition of BL but I was one of the wettest days I ever played golf.

Well I played in Blessington Lakes that day and the suggestion that he is making is complete horse manure.

Fair enough but what does mr sheet mean when he says "This was to stop all six matches going to the opponent's course" .

Is this nonsensical statement based on fact?? Blessington Lakes are a very sporting club which have and will continue to have a very good relationship with South County so I cannot understand why Mr Sheet would come out with a farsical statement like that.

Well I played in Blessington Lakes that day and the suggestion that he is making is complete horse manure.

It may actually be last season, not two seasons ago, but anyone who played knows the day I'm talking about (see sodbuster). If the day you played wasn't flooded, then it wasn't that day.
    one of the wettest days I ever played golf.

what does mr sheet mean when he says "This was to stop all six matches going to the opponent's course" .

It's very simple. Blessington was flooded, and South County was playable, so all six go to South County. But instead, BL said "what are you talking about, our course is fine". This means, however ridiculous it may be, three matches have to be played there on water-logged greens, all because they didn't want to give up home advantage in a mickey-mouse warm up event.

There were a few wedges hit from on the green, over puddles so big there was nowhere to take relief. That's honestly the kind of thing we're talking about.
    Blessington Lakes are a very sporting club which have and will continue to have a very good relationship with South County so I cannot understand why Mr Sheet would come out with a farsical statement like that.

Also false. Do you really think you can pull a stunt like that and maintain a good relationship with your neighbour course? No, the SC players, captain, team managers et al did not come away that day feeling that there was a good and sporting relationship between the two clubs. It was a petty move, and for what?

(Just so we can get this thread back on track here is some useful information unlike the previous few posts, I will update the results as I get them)

Group 1

14.01 Woodenbridge 4(1) Driuds Heath 2(1)

22.01 Kilcoole 4.5(2) Woodenbridge 1.5

27.01 Arklow 4(2) Druids Heath(1) 2

04.02 Kilcoole 4(1) Arklow 2

12.02 Woodenbridge 3.5 (1) Wicklow 2.5 (0.5)

Group 2

11.02 Tulfarris(0) 3 South County(0) 3

11.02 Blessington Lakes 5(2) Killerig 1

Fixtures
    18th Feb Blessington Lakes v South County
    18th Feb Tulfarris v Killerig

Group 1
    Wooden Bridge 9 (3)
    Kilcoole 8.5 (3)
    Arklow 6 (2)
    Druids Heath 4 (2)
    Wicklow 2.5 (0.5)

Group 2
    B Lakes 5 (2)
    Tulfarris 3 (0)
    South County 3 (0)
    Killerig 1 (0)
    Coollatin 0 (0)

• Advertisement

It may actually be last season, not two seasons ago, but anyone who played knows the day I'm talking about (see sodbuster). If the day you played wasn't flooded, then it wasn't that day.

It's very simple. Blessington was flooded, and South County was playable, so all six go to South County. But instead, BL said "what are you talking about, our course is fine". This means, however ridiculous it may be, three matches have to be played there on water-logged greens, all because they didn't want to give up home advantage in a mickey-mouse warm up event.

There were a few wedges hit from on the green, over puddles so big there was nowhere to take relief. That's honestly the kind of thing we're talking about.

Also false. Do you really think you can pull a stunt like that and maintain a good relationship with your neighbour course? No, the SC players, captain, team managers et al did not come away that day feeling that there was a good and sporting relationship between the two clubs. It was a petty move, and for what?

The obvious question to ask here before responding any further to this nonsense is are you currently a member of either club?

The obvious question to ask here before responding any further to this nonsense is are you currently a member of either club?

I think u need to ease of the defense a bit. It sounds to me like blessington took the match a bit too seriously on the day which is not entirely in the spirit of a pre season warm up competition and a bit petty. I don't see why the poster would lie about this. It seems that kilcoole did something similiar at DH last weekend as Kilcoole was unplayable but the guy in charge of the team at kilcoole refused to play all 6 in DH. Again this is not in the spirit of a pre season warm up but 1 or 2 individuals from kilcoole obviously did not get that. This probably does not represent that attitude of the kilcoole team but possibly just the team captain and this may be the same for blessington a few years ago.

It sounds
    It seems

With your use of these adjective can I presume you agree it is all hearsay?

Downthemiddle is right to defend his club when someone is trying to tarnish it's reputation on a public forum and it is unfortunate that you believe him.

The fact is I have since received an email from a member of South County who cannot understand why Sheet has made these comments so I am happy enough to leave it at that.

I stand by my comments that we have and will continue to have a very good relationship with South County and we are looking forward to a very sporting match next Saturday. I am sure the actual members of South County will agree with me so there are no need for the comments above.

Niall O'Connor
    Captain
    Blessington Lakes GC
    This probably does not represent that attitude of the kilcoole team but possibly just the team captain and this may be the same for blessington a few years ago.

I was also team manager of the Garden County Trophy the last two seasons so your suggestion that I have the wrong attitude when it comes to the spirit of the sport and fairplay you could not be more wrong.

I think u need to ease of the defense a bit. It sounds to me like blessington took the match a bit too seriously on the day which is not entirely in the spirit of a pre season warm up competition and a bit petty. I don't see why the poster would lie about this. It seems that kilcoole did something similiar at DH last weekend as Kilcoole was unplayable but the guy in charge of the team at kilcoole refused to play all 6 in DH. Again this is not in the spirit of a pre season warm up but 1 or 2 individuals from kilcoole obviously did not get that. This probably does not represent that attitude of the kilcoole team but possibly just the team captain and this may be the same for blessington a few years ago.

Of course I'm going to defend my club's reputation when it is the victim of unfounded allegations. It has resulted in posters, such as yourself , jumping to conclusions that are without basis and making assertions about our team captain that you cannot substaniate. This is not the first time that this particular poster has attempted to create ill feeling between the clubs on the week of a GC match. Both Airguitar and myself would be very aware of the relationship between the two clubs and their respective committees and I would reiterate what Airguitar said about the positive relationship between the clubs.
    Once again I ask Shrieking Sheet are you currently a member of either club?

Edit:
    Actually, you guys are dead right.
    I made it all up.

• Advertisement

Edit:
    Actually, you guys are dead right.
    I made it all up.
    Perhaps you would be mannerly enough to answer the simple question. Are you currently a member of either club?

With your use of these adjective can I presume you agree it is all hearsay?

Downthemiddle is right to defend his club when someone is trying to tarnish it's reputation on a public forum and it is unfortunate that you believe him.

The fact is I have since received an email from a member of South County who cannot understand why Sheet has made these comments so I am happy enough to leave it at that.

I stand by my comments that we have and will continue to have a very good relationship with South County and we are looking forward to a very sporting match next Saturday. I am sure the actual members of South County will agree with me so there are no need for the comments above.

Niall O'Connor
    Captain
    Blessington Lakes GC

I was also team manager of the Garden County Trophy the last two seasons so your suggestion that I have the wrong attitude when it comes to the spirit of the sport and fairplay you could not be more wrong.

Well not being a member of either and not being there on the day in question, all i can go on is what has been described above so if that is hear say then fair enough.

Sheet do u have any proof of this occurrance?

Furthermore I don't think that this tarnishes the reputation of the club. Its more that if this occurred it is petty from the person who made the decision which is what happened by the Kilcoole representative on Saturday. I assume that as the Garden County captain of Blessington that u would have no problem playing all 6 matches away were this to happen given your sharp defense of what Mr. Sheet has to say??

If Mr Sheet is a member of south county and was there on the day then your response of captain of Blessington holds no more value than what he has to say so i don't understand why it is necessary to input this. If sheet is telling porkies then it would be interesting to know why? What beef u have with blessington Mr Sheet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

He didn't make it up. I'm not a member any more but I played for SCGC on the day in question (it was in 2011 just to clear that up) and there's no way in hell that the golf course should have been open. Most greens were water logged, most of the holes were filled to the brim with water, the bunkers were unplayable and the course was pure mush.

Now I'm not saying anything other than what I've already said but I believe that the golf course would have been closed had there not been a match to be played on it as we were only causing damage to it. Of course the Blessington Lakes guys would want to have some home advantage, but in this instance the logical thing to do would have been to play all matches in a much less water logged and much more playable SCGC.

SuprSi wrote: »
    He didn't make it up. I'm not a member any more but I played for SCGC on the day in question (it was in 2011 just to clear that up) and there's no way in hell that the golf course should have been open. Most greens were water logged, most of the holes were filled to the brim with water, the bunkers were unplayable and the course was pure mush.

Now I'm not saying anything other than what I've already said but I believe that the golf course would have been closed had there not been a match to be played on it as we were only causing damage to it. Of course the Blessington Lakes guys would want to have some home advantage, but in this instance the logical thing to do would have been to play all matches in a much less water logged and much more playable SCGC.

Very interesting. Can i ask was the course open for members before/after the garden county match?

It seems (cooberated hear say ;)) like a very unsporting call from El Capitano as Mr Sheets statements have been cooberated (assuming this is not the same poster). I've no doubt relations between these two clubs are good but in this particular instance this is a petty decision.

I'd be interested to hear your take on this Mr. Captain seeing as it was probably your call or do u maintain that this did not happen at all. Surely their is some truth in this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Even ignoring whether this decision was unsporting or not, or whether there were other members playing, common sense should have prevailed. While I was on the golf course that day, the conditions ensured I couldn't play golf to any kind of standard, and that I couldn't enjoy competing with other 'rival' golfers, which is what I took part in the Garden Trophy for. Plus I almost ruined my brand new pair of Ecco golf shoes that I got for Christmas! :(

I believe (and of course this is just my opinion) had an independent referee or party visited the course to determine whether it was playable or not, they would have sent everyone to SCGC.

SuprSi wrote: »
    Even ignoring whether this decision was unsporting or not, or whether there were other members playing, common sense should have prevailed. While I was on the golf course that day, the conditions ensured I couldn't play golf to any kind of standard, and that I couldn't enjoy competing with other 'rival' golfers, which is what I took part in the Garden Trophy for. Plus I almost ruined my brand new pair of Ecco golf shoes that I got for Christmas! :(

I believe (and of course this is just my opinion) had an independent referee or party visited the course to determine whether it was playable or not, they would have sent everyone to SCGC.

Jasus, its not the type of pre season tournament that i've been led to believe it was as a newcomer to the leinster/wicklow golf scene. I'd really like to hear Mr. Captains response to this apart from the 'its all lies' response. Surely I don't have 2/3 boards members blatantly lieing for the fun of it here?? After all their is no smoke without fire!!

Jasus, its not the type of pre season tournament that i've been led to believe it was as a newcomer to the leinster/wicklow golf scene. I'd really like to hear Mr. Captains response to this apart from the 'its all lies' response. Surely I don't have 2/3 boards members blatantly lieing for the fun of it here?? After all their is no smoke without fire!!

This has been blown out of proportion enough as it is.
    Let's leave it at that.

Very interesting. Can i ask was the course open for members before/after the garden county match?

It seems (cooberated hear say ;)) like a very unsporting call from El Capitano as Mr Sheets statements have been cooberated (assuming this is not the same poster). I've no doubt relations between these two clubs are good but in this particular instance this is a petty decision.

I'd be interested to hear your take on this Mr. Captain seeing as it was probably your call or do u maintain that this did not happen at all. Surely their is some truth in this?

The lads are entitles to their opinion which is fair enough but I for once agree with Sheet above it has been blown out of proportion!

There was no "call". As far as I know the match was never in question on going ahead or not. The South County manager did not call the match into question before it started. I actually know their manager (Greg) from the last two years quite well so I don't think there are any problems their.

At the end of the day it is the course owner's call to open or close the course and I can assure you had the course been unplayable the match would not have been played as he is very very protective of his course, we actually had to postpone our first match this year even after been offered all 6 matches at our course because the opponents course was closed

This issue has only arisen a year later when it could have been dealt with in last year's thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055752864&page=6

That's all I have to say on the matter and I won't be lured any further into this bottomless argument.

Looking forward to meeting our friends from South County on Saturday and should either course be unplayable there would be no problem playing all 6 matches home or away.

Perhaps you would be mannerly enough to answer the simple question. Are you currently a member of either club?

I don't understand what this has to do with it :confused:. If he was a member of one of these clubs last year when this disgraceful act of unsporting behaviour occurred then surely that is enough. Why the question on his current membership status?? Its clear u take exception to what he said but neither u nor ur blessington colleague have offered any alternative to what happened or how Mr. Sheet may have come up with this?

Anyways it seems like Mr. Sheet wishes to forget about the day he played golf in the blessington lakes (literally):D and move on.

Anybody care to suggest a solid Garden County winning match score. I reckon +6/7 should do the job on most matches. The day i played against arklow we played poorly and were prob about 11 over and only lost on 18.

The lads are entitles to their opinion which is fair enough but I for once agree with Sheet above it has been blown out of proportion!

There was no "call". As far as I know the match was never in question on going ahead or not. The South County manager did not call the match into question before it started. I actually know their manager (Greg) from the last two years quite well so I don't think there are any problems their.

At the end of the day it is the course owner's call to open or close the course and I can assure you had the course been unplayable the match would not have been played as he is very very protective of his course, we actually had to postpone our first match this year even after been offered all 6 matches at our course because the opponents course was closed

This issue has only arisen a year later when it could have been dealt with in last year's thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055752864&page=6

That's all I have to say on the matter and I won't be lured any further into this bottomless argument.

Looking forward to meeting our friends from South County on Saturday and should either course be unplayable there would be no problem playing all 6 matches home or away.

Fair enough, prob best left as the views contrast and its clear no general consensus will be reached. Annoys me about Kilcoole not playing all 6 in DH this weekend though as Kilcoole was closed so the DH members who were due to play in Kilcoole went back to DH and played in the 4 ball comp. I'd be interested to hear from Kilcoole members on this just in case the 'hear say' that i was told from a fellow DH team member is biased?

Good luck in the grudge match this saturday guys :D.

• Advertisement
Advertisement