Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bruce Springsteen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Going to my first Springsteen gig on the 18th :) Just curious, what's the deal to get Pit Passes? heard of people queing in a car park or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

well i usually just head down to entrance at about 4ish and wait for gates to open!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

We Take Care of our Own

New single out tomorrow (19th)on Amazon.com

51zbKPfZFmL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006Z1Y2QG/ref=dm_dp_trk1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326908802&sr=1-1

On itunes NOW - go get it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

loverslane wrote: »
    Although the Big Man can never be replaced Charlie fitted in comfortably in Danny's spot.

That gurning idiot can never replace Phantom Dan.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish (x2), Oasis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

Details on new album:

http://www.brucespringsteen.net/news/index.html

plus a preview of the single.

That gurning idiot can never replace Phantom Dan.

:confused::confused:

Do you want Bruce to bring Danny back?

Charles has done OK and whoever is in the place of Clarence will be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Frank03

:confused::confused:

Do you want Bruce to bring Danny back?

Charles has done OK and whoever is in the place of Clarence will be OK.

Nice chap too, had a chat with him in the Merrion a couple of years ago.....

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭loverslane

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Nice chap too, had a chat with him in the Merrion a couple of years ago.....

Agree he is really nice and v downtoearth.

• Advertisement

What are the thoughts on new single??

Not had a chance to listen to it properly yet but it is catchy.

Any of you follow LOD? Bruce in great singing voice and shape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

i like it but the first thing that came to me when i heard it was this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2uEjX7s-V0

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

Very similar indeed.

I like his ambiguous lyrics, but it's going to be misinterpreted just like Born In The USA.

gilmour wrote: »
    i like it but the first thing that came to me when i heard it was this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2uEjX7s-V0

Start is extremely like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGWR3uI3Qa0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Nice article on the Rolling Stones site.
    Bruce Springsteen's forthcoming album Wrecking Ball is largely composed of new music, but two songs on the LP (and one other track on the deluxe edition) were frequently played live on previous tours. It's unclear whether they've been re-worked in any substantial way, but these YouTube videos can give you a pretty good idea of what they'll sound like. Also, check out this official video for the new single We Take Care of Our Own.

1. "Land of Hope and Dreams"

When Bruce Springsteen reunited with the E Street Band in 1999 they didn't record a new album, but they did debut this stellar song on their tour. "Land of Hope and Dreams" was played at nearly every show on the 1999/2000 tour, and has been frequently revived since then. If Wrecking Ball is as angry as some reports suggest, it makes sense that he'd want to have a song towards the end of the album with an optimistic tone. It's also a chance to get Clarence Clemons on the album, presuming they are using an old recording of the track.

2. "American Land"

Bruce Springsteen's 2006 LP We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions was limited to covers of old folk songs, but when he hit the road behind the disc he unveiled this original song. It was introduced at Madison Square Garden as an "immigrant song for New York City," and it's about all of the immigrants that helped build this country. The song re-appeared on the E Street Band's Magic tour in 2007. He's already released a live version of the song from the Sessions Band tour, and it's unclear what version will be on the deluxe edition of Wrecking Ball. Its inclusion here is likely a knock at all the anti-immigrant hysteria on the right.

3. "Wrecking Ball"

In the summer of 2009, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band did a five-night stand at Giants Stadium shortly before it was demolished. He opened all of the shows with "Wrecking Ball," a song he wrote just for the occasion. On the surface, it's a song about the stadium – but Springsteen clearly is drawing parallels between himself and the resilience of the venue. It's unknown whether or not he modified the lyrics for the new album. Lines like "My home is here in the Meadlowands" may need to go, but who knows?

4. "We Take Care of Our Own"

"We Take Care of Our Own" is the first of the nine brand new songs from Wrecking Ball to get officially released. We've heard that the album has "unexpected textures – loops, electronic percussions," but this sounds like a pretty traditional E Street Band-style rock song. We could be wrong, but that certainly sounds like E Street band member Roy Bittan on keyboards. In the grand tradition of "Born in the USA" and "This Land Is Your Land," some critics have already declared it a jingoistic, chest-thumping, "America, **** Yeah!" song – but it seems crystal clear that Springsteen is suggesting that America is not living up to its ideals, or "taking care of our own."

Great to see LOHAD on it. On my wishlist to hear live. Have received manys a phonecall from friends during live performance but not had the privelege myself yet.

Likin this pic...

11sgieb.png

:D looking fit and rested

Anyone do the Bruce Passport? Brilliant.

http://www.brucespringsteen.it/DB/passport.aspx

Mine says this:
    Shows attended: 20, in 6 different cities, travelling
    over 5 countries.
    Listened to 167 different songs, from a gross total of 524
    which were played in the attended shows.
    The most listened songs during these shows was "The Promised
    Land", played 16 times, followed by "Born to run", played 16 times,
    and "Badlands", played 15 times.

• Advertisement

Love it Nick - must pass on to my Tramp buddies who do and are doing multiple gigs this tour. Am only able to make Barcelona x 2, Dub x 2 and Manchester so far this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭yomamma

He simply is the best. Ive all Bruces best versions of his songs. Let me know if ye want more!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrRsJmJ36Hk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXQYT_L4K0U

Ive all the best versions. Obviously thunder road at hammersmith below, personally his best performance from me is an obvious one plus capitol theatre his best ever live show. He is just a genius. Ill leave ye with my fav performance and my favourite song. If ye havnt heard it please listen. Just looking there and its not on you tube anymore but racing in the street in Capitol theatre simply was unreal. This below song was same concert but I cant believe racing in the street isnt on you tube. He did an unbelievable performance that night. My Funeral song. I have it on i tunes I just dont know how to post it. But below same concert. Thunder road done good in that concert too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3vUKBOJ5sU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

The passport link is great, thanks

Shows attended: 51, in 24 different cities,
    travelling over
    15 countries.
    listened to
    223 different songs, from a gross total of
    1288 which were played in the attended shows.
    The most listened songs during these shows was "The rising",
    played
    36 times, followed by "The promised land", played 35 times,
    and "Born to run", played 31 times.

Do any of you tune into to Bruce Brunch on The Hawk 105.7 with Tom Cunningham at 2pm on Sundays.

Had an interview today with Backstreets re latest mag. Just ordered through Badlands as cheaper than ordering from BTX.

loverslane wrote: »
    Do any of you tune into to Bruce Brunch on The Hawk 105.7 with Tom Cunningham at 2pm on Sundays.

Had an interview today with Backstreets re latest mag. Just ordered through Badlands as cheaper than ordering from BTX.

Came in the post two weeks ago - didn't think I still had a sub!

What station are the Grammys on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Wow, I didn't know this thread existed! I'm hitting both Dublin gigs this year. I just thought there was the thread in the gigs forum.

@Dr.Nick - The Grammy's are on Monday night, 12:30 on Channel 4.

EDIT - They might be on Tuesday. I'm not sure. Either Monday or Tuesday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

What station are the Grammys on?

I found them live on German channel Pro Sieben.

Great performance from Bruce to open the show

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

Cannot wait to see him in Dublin in July, I am 90's child and there is not not anybody like him in today's music.

• Advertisement

Album has leaked.....it's out there on the interweb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

New album is a cracker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

"Jack of all Trades"
    What an anthem

First listen......wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

I'm a real latecomer to Bruce. I only have Born To Run and I have to say its amazing. What should I get next?

Possibly his best album since Tunnel of Love. This album is setting up one hell of a summer.

Shane St. wrote: »
    I'm a real latecomer to Bruce. I only have Born To Run and I have to say its amazing. What should I get next?

Darkness on the Edge of Town.

End.

go out and buy all of his albums! seriously, it will be money well spent. the live album 75 - 85, is great for long car journeys, must be played loud though!

gilmour wrote: »
    Possibly his best album since Tunnel of Love. This album is setting up one hell of a summer.

Almost at the end of first listen, it hits me from the start in a way that Magic did and WOAD didn't.

Almost at the end of first listen, it hits me from the start in a way that Magic did and WOAD didn't.

magic was flippin brilliant! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

This. His first 7 albums. Going for €20 in HMV in town, same in Tower. One of the albums in it alone [The River double album] nearly goes for that much. Well, Well worth it for a new fan. Has most of the best stuff in there and the price is great. You won't regret it. Has my fav's Darkness on The Edge of Town, The Wild the Innocent and The E Street Shuffle and The River.

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/simpleMultiSearch.do?searchUID=&pGroupID=0&adultFlag=false&simpleSearchString=bruce+springsteen+the+collection&primaryID=0&btnSubmitSearch.x=0&btnSubmitSearch.y=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭WinstonOno

massive bruce fan, but have to say, how much did obama pay him to write 'we take care of our own'?? written for his re-election campaign without a doubt. completely out of sync with the rest of the album also from what ive heard.

I think We Take Of Our Own is intentionally deceptive - it's not something Obama would want on his campaign. The title is intentionally ironic. Similar to Born In The USA.

Are you sure you're listening to it right? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭WinstonOno

marty1985 wrote: »
    I think We Take Of Our Own is intentionally deceptive - it's not something Obama would want on his campaign. The title is intentionally ironic. Similar to Born In The USA.

Are you sure you're listening to it right? ;)
    obama has already added the song to his re-election campaign song list.

Wow, I'm surprised at that. I didn't think this would be one song that someone going for re-election would want.

I'm very surprised Obama would even think about using that song, Bruce went as far as putting the lyrics on the actual video for the song in order to try and avoid the very response that happened to the similar theme of Born in the USA. It is far from a patriotic song.

Would anyone care to share where they are listening to new album. Got one link yesterday but can't get it to work. :D

I know backstreets are playing one song every day but would love to get a listen to it all at once

magic was flippin brilliant! :)

Agree totally. If Wrecking Ball is half as good, it's a classic.

Trying to resist temptation until Friday week, but hearing all the reviews here and on Backstreets, it's becoming increasingly difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Frank03

Shane, PM me and I'll help get you started.

• Advertisement

im waiting till friday week, theres something about having a cd in your hands. still dont own an ipod!

Advertisement