Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you really happy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I..had a job I..hated, packed it in and went to college for a few years and I now have a job I..love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Terry wrote: »
    I hate being a tiler. I really do not enjoy tiling. It pisses me off.
    However, it's a trade, it's easy money and I just keep falling back into it for the money.

This week I'm working in Louth.
    It's only an hour away and it would take me the same amount of time to get into the city centre for an office job and Dublin is only 10 miles from where I live.

I'm not gonna get into the details of everything here because it's not a blog, but I have trouble travelling.
    This job I'm currently doing has done me the world of good though and I'm enjoying tiling again.

There is no pressure on us to finish it because the owners of the house won't be moving in for a few months, so the fact that we will probably be there until Wednesday is not a problem to them.
    To add to that, the people across the road saw the work we have already done and have asked us to do some work in their house.
    In the current economic climate, this is a bonus.
    We also put a great price on it, so things are starting to look up after a 6 month slump.

Good to your feeling better with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Good to your feeling better with it.
    Thanks, and by great price, I meant great price for us. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I..had a job I..hated, packed it in and went to college for a few years and I now have a job I..love.

Who is Terry and why can he edit my post??

I feel violated, and I like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I love my job. I work part-time, it gets me out of the house and away from my kids. It's a job where I'm on my feet and running around throughout the day, and I meet a lot of people. Gets very stressful though as we're always so busy, but the time passes quickly and I keep my weight down despite my love for chocolate!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Great post OP, raises some vaild points, I can feel a bit of Chomsky coming on, ie sleep, work, eat, sleep, work, eat, repeat, repeat, repeat just as long as you satisfy the ruling elites. Consume and keep the shareholders happy.....

A few years back I spent a month sailing with an Irish couple in the Caribbean - they were 60's teenagers, grew up then said feck the rat race and spent 2 years building their own 60ft yacht in their back yard with plans bought from a marine architect in Holland for next to nothing. Anyway the thing floated and 22 years later they have circumnavigated the world 3 times, been the first ever Irish boat to sail to many islands in the Antarctic, survived storms that would sh1t your average Joe out and done it all without what most here would call a proper days work.

Fair play I say, the only stress in their lives is which empty beach to head to next, which virgin dive site to dive, stay in the Caribbean or head to the Pacific......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

kelle wrote: »
    I love my job. I work part-time, it gets me out of the house and away from my kids. It's a job where I'm on my feet and running around throughout the day, and I meet a lot of people. Gets very stressful though as we're always so busy, but the time passes quickly and I keep my weight down despite my love for chocolate!
    OTOH, I've just had a s*it morning at work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

I think the OP has been reading his Bertrand Russell again. Russell had some wonderful ideas about work and class structure. Some of his essays are definitely worth reading, particularly; In Praise of Idleness (1932)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

caoibhin wrote: »
    I think the OP has been reading his Bertrand Russell again. Russell had some wonderful ideas about work and class structure. Some of his essays are definitely worth reading, particularly; In Praise of Idleness (1932)

whoah... we're talking about Russel here? in after hours? did i just enter an alternate reality or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

whoah... we're talking about Russel here? in after hours? did i just enter an alternate reality or something?
    oops, sorry but i wouldn't dismiss the notion that AH readers don't know who Bertrand Russell is. (sure he was the celebrity judge on Your a star:rolleyes:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Great thread FuzzyLogic.

I'm a programmer in a small company, I work 9.30-5.30 every day. I agree wholeheartedly with the gist of your opening post, I wonder what the hell I am doing in such a rat race at the age of 25. A few things make it worth my while: I work outside of the city and have a nice view of the ocean, I have a short commute, I don't have to leave the house til after 9, I make my own lunches, I have a generally nice working environment and I get to go surfing or windsurfing in the evenings.

The 9-5 existence does drive me nuts though. I really think its difficult to have a good time when you only get to exist at evenings, weekends and 20-odd measly days off a year. Don't know how anyone who commutes more than a couple of hours a day can stick it. I want to have a family some day and 20 days off a year just wouldn't be enough to spend with em. Hoping to pack it in to work freelance at some stage, become a master of my own destiny and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

I have a job like...if I had a choice (sounds silly because I actually do!) I would be somehting different. Would love to be a midwife or a guard tbh but all the time in college and being a single mammy to a three year old, it seems that my dreams are a million miles away, when in reality its a a couple of years in college or 6 months in Guarda training college. I just need to grow a pair tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I don't think anyone can ever be truely happy, some are less happy than others. However, when I think of all the car / train / bus journies made by people everyday to places like Navan and Portlaoise etc, it would depress me. All because of a job and sometimes the only job they can get that. That's not living. I'm a big believer that you shouldn't live any more than a half an hour from your job. Otherwise it's time to get a new one or mve closer to your job. I'd slit my wrists if I had to commute 2-4 hours a day. I live in Ranelagh and at present between luas / walk, it takes me 20 minutes to get to work. Sweet. As much as work can be soul destroying, not being able to get home quick enough (after a long days work) would be even worse.

BTW getting up at 8am for the next 40yrs of my life scares me, but then again if I was doing it for myself I'd never get up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I teach senior infants. I have a small class of boys from all over the world. It's a privilege to know them and I love them all to bits. They have me laughing over something everyday. Making a difference is fulfilling to me. I get to do things I enjoy like art and music and games all day. I get a real kick out of seeing them apply something I've taught them or improving in reading or writing. I have an SNA in the class that I get on great with, a laid back boss and fab colleagues.

The days fly by. I get into school about 8.30. I finish teaching at 1pm and leave between 2.30 and 3.30. I get to be my own boss, it's a bit hectic and stressful but I like the challenge. Pay is great and I reckon with all the summer holidays I can visit every continent and see the world in about 5 years.

I teach in the city centre so when I come out of school I can get all I need taken care of at the end of the day. I'm a 15 minute bus journey away, it's really handy. I love my job so much, I can't believe I get paid to do it. If I won the lotto I wouldn't quit :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    I teach senior infants. I have a small class of boys from all over the world. It's a privilege to know them and I love them all to bits. They have me laughing over something everyday. Making a difference is fulfilling to me. I get to do things I enjoy like art and music and games all day. I get a real kick out of seeing them apply something I've taught them or improving in reading or writing. I have an SNA in the class that I get on great with, a laid back boss and fab colleagues.

The days fly by. I get into school about 8.30. I finish teaching at 1pm and leave between 2.30 and 3.30. I get to be my own boss, it's a bit hectic and stressful but I like the challenge. Pay is great and I reckon with all the summer holidays I can visit every continent and see the world in about 5 years.

I teach in the city centre so when I come out of school I can get all I need taken care of at the end of the day. I'm a 15 minute bus journey away, it's really handy. I love my job so much, I can't believe I get paid to do it. If I won the lotto I wouldn't quit :D

Thats wonderful for you.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

Jeez, you guys... I'm gonna stay 19 and in college forever now. Cheers for the heads up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

Terry wrote: »

This week I'm working in Louth.

I'm not gonna get into the details...................

I understand. I love Louth. When you get the chance to work there life can be, well it´s a fantastic place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I like my job, but I dont like who I have to work for/with at the moment.

I do have 90% freedom in the decisions I can make within the job etc, but generally the other half that runs the business tends to drag their feet and 9/10 is a let down.

As a result the company isnt doing too well for itself these days.
    The other end of it, is thats its a challenge at the moment.

We'll see how things fair out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Elessar

There is no such thing as job happiness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

no, im not happy! buts its hard to be when you don't know what you want to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

dublindude wrote: »
    /Don't mean to be harsh, but we all control our destiny

Imprisoned in the giant machine we are conditioned to its terms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

i wonder how gynaecologists "feel" about their job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Would they really feel the same about vaginas after seeing all the sh1t that can go wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

tribulus wrote: »
    Would they really feel the same about vaginas after seeing all the sh1t that can go wrong?

wrong hole!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,332 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

FuzzyLogic wrote: »
    We should be out enjoying ourselves all the time, spending just enough time at work to earn money to buy basic food/shelter and pay for entertainment and your kids' same. The rest of our time I believe that we should spend doing whatever we *really* want to do.
    Well, you can join us starving students in the creative arts, and look forward to a career, where most actors, writers, and painters starve too. Then again, I've been to a few cast parties where we (momentarily) have fun and have no desire to join the slave market of work-a-holics with money to pay the mortgage, or buy something useless like an SUV that's never taken off-road. After all, we live in a fantasy world of our own social construction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Are you genuinely happy in your work right now? Great, this probably isn't for you so, congrats, enjoy your hapiness :)
    Maybe you love your job, but this is for the Dublin Office commuters who aren't fulfilled by their work:

This is something that I've been wondering about a lot lately.

When you were growing up, did you ever imagine that you would sell yourself to some company from 9 until 5, 5 days out of 7? For 40 years out of the 50 years of adulthood that nature has given you? That they would effectively own you during those hours. And that its really more than that as well. You have to get up at 7/8 or whatever, and moreso have to go to bed early to be able to get up. So effectively they own you from 11PM to 6/7PM whenever you get home. And you get transport to work with other people in an electric or petrol burning metal transport box. And the same after your work, every single working day.
    Did you ever imagine that you would be given a quota of days that you could be sick from work or been told how long you can spend eating your pathetic daily sandwich that someone else (in the same situation) made for you?
    Did you ever think that you'd be told by someone (boss) that you're only allowed take 3 weeks out of 52 off work per year. Does this feel like a social prison of sorts to anybody else?
    Come 11PM, you're tired from working and go to bed because you have to be up soon and are weary from your day of doing work for somebody else.
    You have to wear the same type of clothes for the office every day.
    If its raining, you wear a coat and walk through puddles with everybody else rushing from the dart station.
    Lunch, and a measly coffee/cigarette break are the main excitements of the day.
    Stress is the order of the day, rushing from place to place, trying to get home to your identical concrete living box, sandwiched in between 100s and further out 1000s of other boxes. Perhaps you're lucky enough to have one side of your box not attached to another one, and your house is a mirror of the one next door, not exactly the same! Lucky you...
    Perhaps your metal transport box looks nicer or moves you about a little smoother or more comfortably than your neighbour. Lucky you!
    Maybe your moving pictures box in your commuter storage box's "living room" is bigger or flatter than anyone you know! wow!

But did you ever think that you don't need to be working like this?
    Most people tolerate their jobs, and get on with it because they need to pay the bills and because its the norm. Its the respectable thing to do. Work, earn money, buy food, buy services, buy "stuff" and go home, enjoy the spoils for the 5% of your life that you're not working or thinking about work or preparing or recovering from work.

Is all this work and wasting of lives in industry, sales, office work, etc etc worth it?
    We should be out enjoying ourselves all the time, spending just enough time at work to earn money to buy basic food/shelter and pay for entertainment and your kids' same. The rest of our time I believe that we should spend doing whatever we *really* want to do.

See you on the water.

Good post.
    Well written.
    Saw a guy on the dart today run onto the train, saw that there were no seats, swore loudly, rushed to an end door, slammed it open on top of a kid who had sat beside it, and then swore again and rushed through.
    All just to get a seat for a 20 min train journey.

Yesterday, a very heavily pregnant woman got on and walked to the end. She was obviously in distress, barely able to stand up, sweat pumping out of her. I was standing, but I saw absolutely everybody eyeball her and then immediately become completely engrossed in their papers, ipods, phones and books.
    Sickening like.

Yeah sometimes i think to myself everyone nowadays deep down is just a self-serving a$$hole.

Another poster here said most people are unhappy in their jobs and you just gotta get on with it.
    I always find it curious that most people ARE unhappy in their jobs- wouldn't that just mean most people make bad decisions when it comes to careers.

Surely, if so, bad decision-making on a massive scale like that can be tackled somehow?

:pac:Good post, Fuzzy, I've often thought much the same things.

But isn't doing something you really like is just as pointless as doing some drudge work to pay the bills?

Say, a person drops out of doing a well paid job they dislike, and they are having a wonderful time earning a bare living from being an author. All that boils down to is good feelings due to the release of feel good hormones. Which is equally as pointless as some drudge getting their satisfaction from buying sh't they don't need doing a job they hate.

In summary, everything is pointless. As is posting on this thread, posting on this website and reading posts like this that you don't need to read.:):pac:

Nihilism FTW.
    Woohoo. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

and that's is why i play poker :pac:

Or join a support group for men with testicular cancer to see what real suffering is like. That'll wane after a while at which point I suggest a secret bare knuckle boxing fraternity (but keep it secret mind) followed by a bout of mild schizophrenia and an unhappy ending.

Unhappy ending?
    Edward Norton's character survived- he shot himself in the cheek, not that tragic really.

• Advertisement

Ponster wrote: »
    I moved to France 10 years ago. People here voted to get paid less money but to have more time off. So I earn a lot less than the average Irish telecom engineer but I do have 11 weeks paid holidays per year.

I work in an office but wear what I like.

As a 'cadre' I set my own hours. I can work 10 hours per week or 50 as long as the work gets done.

I walk 35 minutes home from work through Paris every evening.

Life is good :)

Sounds good man.
    It's the age-old thing, isn't it:
    feeling in control is probably what constitutes a lot of what we term happiness.
    And in your job you seem to have a fair amount of that. :)

Advertisement