Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

marno21 wrote: »
    Galway has 3 motorways now. Cork has 1. Sense?

Shameful as well that there's no plans to advance the N25 between Carrigtwohill and Youghal at present. None whatsoever.

It'll have to be. The M20 can't finish at Blackpool given that most cars on the M20 will have no business in Blackpool (airport, West Cork, Cobh, Ringaskiddy, UCC/CIT, CUH etc)
    Kenny was bias to the south, Galway is in his own backyard

Imagine the amount of traffic going into blackpool as a result.

What is the cost of the Northern Ring Road?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Kenny was bias to the south, Galway is in his own backyard

Imagine the amount of traffic going into blackpool as a result.

What is the cost of the Northern Ring Road?
    It depends.

The NRA were progressing two North Ring sections. The first from Killeens to the M8 near Glanmire. The second incorporating the N/S section of the Ballincollig bypass, up past Blarney onto the M20 near Killeens.

The eastern section was tying in with the M20, as it was lower cost. I personally think the western scheme would be more beneficial but I think going forward both are badly needed.

I don't have costings for either unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,227 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Athenry has 3 motorway, Galway still has one!

Pray that the M20 will have a more logical route than the M18

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Athenry has 3 motorway, Galway still has one!

Pray that the M20 will have a more logical route than the M18
    They may end in Athenry but from Galway you can now travel to Tuam, Dublin and Limerick/Patrickswell without leaving motorway/dual carraigeway.

A big difference to Cork:

Limerick: as far as Blarney
    Tralee/Killarney: as far as Ovens
    Waterford/Rosslare: as far as Carrigtwohill
    Bandon/West Cork: no HQ road
    Ringaskiddy: no HQ road

They may end in Athenry but from Galway you can now travel to Tuam, Dublin and Limerick/Patrickswell without leaving motorway/dual carraigeway.

A big difference to Cork:

Limerick: as far as Blarney
    Tralee/Killarney: as far as Ovens
    Waterford/Rosslare: as far as Carrigtwohill
    Bandon/West Cork: no HQ road
    Ringaskiddy: no HQ road

One of the worst national roads in the country after the N20

• Advertisement

One of the worst national roads in the country after the N20

After the N20?

I completely disagree it's truly an awful road, especially past Bandon.

The N20 is bad for being such an important route, however not worse than that route.

After the N20?

I completely disagree it's truly an awful road, especially past Bandon.

The N20 is bad for being such an important route, however not worse than that route.

The bad bends (can't recall the name) coming towards Buttevant from the Mallow side are as bad as the bends outside Bandon.

The N71 needs serious upgrades also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Cork -Limerick should be designated the B1 i.e. the country's foremost boreen. It defies logic that this road, linking the state's second and third cities, had had to stand in the queue behind Galway-Tuam etc.,

feargale wrote: »
    Cork -Limerick should be designated the B1 i.e. the country's foremost boreen. It defies logic that this road, linking the state's second and third cities, had had to stand in the queue behind Galway-Tuam etc.,
    Most people won't have an issue with Gort-Tuam being upgraded at the minute, given it was our most advanced big ticket scheme and went to tender in 2008. It may not do as good a job as it possibly could have given routing etc but it was still a scheme that had to be done.

A lot of people will question why there isn't the €12m being made available to progress this scheme for the next 3 years meanwhile there is a bottomless pit of cash for schemes such as the N5 through Roscommon which carries 4,500 cars a day and the Listowel bypass.

Most people won't have an issue with Gort-Tuam being upgraded at the minute, given it was our most advanced big ticket scheme and went to tender in 2008. It may not do as good a job as it possibly could have given routing etc but it was still a scheme that had to be done.

A lot of people will question why there isn't the €12m being made available to progress this scheme for the next 3 years meanwhile there is a bottomless pit of cash for schemes such as the N5 through Roscommon which carries 4,500 cars a day and the Listowel bypass.

Naughten and Healy-Rae influenced them?

• Advertisement

Well it was actually Enda/Ring and Deenihan.

Which begs the question, why didn't Noonan/Coveney/O'Donovan/Stanton/Murphy/Neville support the key infrastructure project to open up growth for their (6!!) constituencies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Being a frequent user of all roads in the southwest, I believe that the Tralee bypass was a massive waste of money, it's probably one of the quietest dual carriageways in the entire country, and Tralee still seems as congested as ever.

If the Listowel bypass gets done before the M20, Adare, or any other project it will be an absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭rounders

Also another issue with that chamber report is the time saving. They say currently Cork to Patrickswell takes 1 hour. Coming from someone that lives in Blarney, I can't get from here to Patrickswell in one hour. Takes normally 1 hour 20 ish depending what your stuck behind. That would make the time savings 35 mins which makes the road improvement even more significant

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Being a frequent user of all roads in the southwest, I believe that the Tralee bypass was a massive waste of money, it's probably one of the quietest dual carriageways in the entire country, and Tralee still seems as congested as ever.

If the Listowel bypass gets done before the M20, Adare, or any other project it will be an absolute disgrace.

Bang on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,474 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Been on it a few times in parts but is it that big a waste? Couple of points, I'd wager a lot of the traffic in Tralee is just local and thus a bypass hasn't made a big difference.
    And, most of the through traffic there is, to Dingle N86, still has to negotiate part of the town rather than a full bypass.

The listowel bypass, I have to laugh everytime I hear this as a realistic suggestion! What, will they have a motorway right to the tarbert ferry now too?!

The listowel bypass, I have to laugh everytime I hear this as a realistic suggestion! What, will they have a motorway right to the tarbert ferry now too?!

Ah it's needed alright, just not before so many other busier schemes and routes when funds are so limited.

road_high wrote: »
    Ah it's needed alright, just not before so many other busier schemes and routes when funds are so limited.
    Yes, it's required going forward. But at a time when projects such as the M20 are suspended due to the lack of available funding for planning its a bit rich that the Listowel bypass is getting full planning funding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Yes, it's required going forward. But at a time when projects such as the M20 are suspended due to the lack of available funding for planning its a bit rich that the Listowel bypass is getting full planning funding.

You only need to ask who is lobbying for it and what they are giving back for this road being pushed forward...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Is the Listowel bypass really going to cost that much though.

• Advertisement

Terrain wouldn't be the easiest I'd imagine, got to cross the river.

road_high wrote: »
    Terrain wouldn't be the easiest I'd imagine, got to cross the river.

OMG... A bridge...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That's what my OH says about some one with issues. Build a bridge and cross it.
    I'm sure Danny could build one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

grogi wrote: »
    OMG... A bridge...

Yeah and a bridge costs a hell of a lot of money!
    There are a lot more congested towns crying out for a bypass before Listowel, but sure like everything in that area, Healy-Rae Ltd will be pushing for it to line their own pockets.

Yeah and a bridge costs a hell of a lot of money!

Let's not exaggerate. This 300m dual carriageway bridge costed €40m (but some time ago... ;))

Milenijny_Bridge_aerial_view_2017_P01.jpg
    There are a lot more congested towns crying out for a bypass before Listowel,

I agree with that.

But saying that a road is difficult because there is a bridge to build is as ridiculous as complaining that chicken has bones... When you build roads, you will cross rivers and valleys. You will have to go around the hills or drill through them. Land will need to be purchased etc. THAT IS PART OF LIFE.

This actually reminds me of some road works in Mahon, Cork. Papers called this 'major road improvement project' when it was just adding a single lane to existing road. Let's get some perspective...

It that is the perception, than building a motorway junction must be an engineering feast of the decade while two tram lines are the pride of the capitol...
    but sure like everything in that area, Healy-Rae Ltd will be pushing for it to line their own pockets.

Corruption is completely different story :(

OMG... A bridge...

Well depending on the topography and soil, they aren't cheap- and the river Feale is heading into an estuary by Listowel stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

rounders wrote: »
    Also another issue with that chamber report is the time saving. They say currently Cork to Patrickswell takes 1 hour. Coming from someone that lives in Blarney, I can't get from here to Patrickswell in one hour. Takes normally 1 hour 20 ish depending what your stuck behind. That would make the time savings 35 mins which makes the road improvement even more significant

Kanturk to Patrickswell can sometimes take an hour....lot shorter than Cork City to P'well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think Leo is clever enough and knows the Govn't needs a flagship project in Munster.

• Advertisement

They just want to give the money to someone with the PPP scheme, that's all...

How many tolls could they put on that road though.

It's not really about, they can do without putting any.

It is about paying someone to build a motorway and they paying them for the traffic going through.

I don't believe so. I think it's becoming very realistic now.

Enda: "Cork got its motorway to Dublin. Its amazing the expectations the people of Cork have when the economy recovers. There is no money for a motorway to Limerick".

Leo: Repeated claims that infrastructure, including the M20, is a priority to him. Repeated being a key word here. Has yet to mention any issues with the cost tag of the project, or Metro, or the A5.
    Water John wrote: »
    I think Leo is clever enough and knows the Govn't needs a flagship project in Munster.

Especially given the Luas, Metro, motorways in Galway/Wexford and the general poor state of roads in Cork, Kerry and Limerick.

Tolling this would be a waste of time. Its too big to finance through tolls and the traffic volumes at the start wouldn't support a toll.

I would hope the Department of Finance would have learned from the M3/Limerick Tunnel/Waterford bypass fiascos to bury this tolling idea. It works for Drogheda, Enfield, even the M50, but not here.

The two M11 projects, N7, M17/M18, and N25 New Ross all got through as PPPs with no tolling. No reason why this can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Tolling this would be a waste of time. Its too big to finance through tolls and the traffic volumes at the start wouldn't support a toll.

I would hope the Department of Finance would have learned from the M3/Limerick Tunnel/Waterford bypass fiascos to bury this tolling idea. It works for Drogheda, Enfield, even the M50, but not here.

The two M11 projects, N7, M17/M18, and N25 New Ross all got through as PPPs with no tolling. No reason why this can't.

If this isn't tolled, driving from Tuam to Cork (217km) how many tolls will you have to pay, just the 1?

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    If this isn't tolled, driving from Tuam to Cork (217km) how many tolls will you have to pay, just the 1?

Yes, just the Limerick tunnel

• Advertisement

Yes, just the Limerick tunnel

Drove through that tunnel twice,definitely seems shorter than the JLT here in Cork.

Once with 53 passengers, cost €3.30

An artic was €6.60 if i remember correctly.

Whilst i know the few is the same on the M8 is the reduced price for coaches to encourage people onto a bus hence the cheaper rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Drove through that tunnel twice,definitely seems shorter than the JLT here in Cork.

Nope its 65 metres longer than the JLT.

Nope its 65 metres longer than the JLT.

Jasus, i didn't think it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I would have thought JLT was longer too, maybe it's not as steep as the JLT which gives the impression its shorter

JLT is 620m, Limerick Tunnel is 675m

Perhaps the JLT feels longer because most of the time you are in a slow moving queue, and you can't overtake so are stuck behind 60km/h cars, added to the fact there's a roundabout at one end , whilst it carries around 3-4x the volume of the Limerick Tunnel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Ridiculous that you can't pay by card at the Limerick toll though.

bear1 wrote: »
    Ridiculous that you can't pay by card at the Limerick toll though.

True. Contactless is perfect for such application...

Deedsie wrote: »
    You can't overtake in either and rightly so. Speed limit in Limerick is 80 km/h

You can, at least in JLT. You just can't change lanes.

Do you hop over the car in front or how do you achieve that? :)

One lane vision of some people does not stop to surprise me.
    If a car on left lane is going slower than the one in right one, at some stage the car in the right lane overtakes the one in left lane...

A lot of people get fined for overtaking like that when overtaking is not allowed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

You can't overtake in either and rightly so. Speed limit in Limerick is 80 km/h

Incorrect. Overtaking is only banned for vehicles with 3 or more axels in the Limerick Tunnel. http://www.limericktunnel.com/media/31489/tunnelsafetybrochure.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Mc Love wrote: »
    I would have thought JLT was longer too, maybe it's not as steep as the JLT which gives the impression its shorter

Nope your just looking at it with Confederate flag tinted glasses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Do you hop over the car in front or how do you achieve that? :)

There should be no overtaking in that tunnel. I was in Cork last week and as always an Audi driver decided to change lanes multiple times in the tunnel overtaking people. Imagine the disruption had he crashed which he could easily have. Gowl

It's just a road with a roof on, no reason for not overtaking in it, or not changing lanes for that matter, and whilst I'm at it, no need to have lights in it, it would be no darker than most country roads and also no need to put on lights as it is lit!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: can we drop the tunnel vision - with or without lights. M20 please.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mdmix

Water John wrote: »

i think leo has his own interests in mind. he is promising roads all over Ireland and metro north because he sees an election coming. if FG win, then thats the last we will hear about the m20 from him until the next election cycle. this is less version of the "5 point plan"

mdmix wrote: »
    i think leo has his own interests in mind. he is promising roads all over Ireland and metro north because he sees an election coming. if FG win, then thats the last we will hear about the m20 from him until the next election cycle. this is less version of the "5 point plan"

He hasn't promised roads all over Ireland, his main 3 promises are Metro North, M20 and the A5, which should start before the end of 2017.

He's made a few comments about "upgrading regional roads" but that's likely to appease the "Dublin is getting all the money" brigade.

• Advertisement
Advertisement