Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SOCOM 4

Options
  • 28-01-2011 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

Searched for a thread about this but couldn't find one.

It got it's release date last night and it's coming out the 19th of April. Here's the new multiplayer trailer.

It's being made by Zipper who worked on the PS2 and PSP previous SOCOM titles and also made MAG too. It will have a single player campain and 32 player multiplayer. I think there will be 4 player co-op as well. Also has full Move support.

Really looking forward to this. Loved the PS2 and PSP ones and even though it was made by different developers, loved Confrontation on the PS3 too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

+1 super psyched for this. Loved all the SOCOM games,even the PSP ones. Unless it gets seriously slated this will be day one buy for me. Add me for co op games PS3 tag same as here.

Hopefully they don't change it much from the last one.

I loved the online play.
    Spawns were turned off by default and to go through a full round having killed 2/3/4 people was satisfying.

The mic' system worked well too, it was like a walkie talkie, only one person could talk at a time and you had to hold down L2 while speaking.
    If you were in a building and there were fellas on the other team talking a floor above, you could hear the sound coming from above like there characters were actually talking.

Best tactical game on the PS3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Played a little bit last summer with the Move its really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Socom beta comes with certain copies of killzone 3 i heard , i agree i hope the game modes stay away they do

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Socom beta comes with certain copies of killzone 3 i heard , i agree i hope the game modes stay away they do

That's in the US. Beta is with PS+ members here ;)

• Advertisement

PaddyBomb wrote: »
    That's in the US. Beta is with PS+ members here ;)

not too bad , make sure to leave your feedback here cause my ps membership sure to go soon

There's another video from GameSpot with a good bit multiplayer footage in the back.

I've been reading around on a few of the forums and it looks like they've changed a good few things from the previous titles in the series. The standard mode is going to be respawn and open mics. There is classic mode with respawn disabled, round based and push to talk mics. They've used the same engine as MAG, so basically it's a third person MAG without the 256 players. I'm still hoping this game will be great :)

There's another video from GameSpot with a good bit multiplayer footage in the back.

I've been reading around on a few of the forums and it looks like they've changed a good few things from the previous titles in the series. The standard mode is going to be respawn and open mics. There is classic mode with respawn disabled, round based and push to talk mics. They've used the same engine as MAG, so basically it's a third person MAG without the 256 players. I'm still hoping this game will be great :)

all of my mates on psn are scared that zipper changed everything and saying it shouldnt be called socom anymore. grand if they want to change controls but do what they did in confrontation and have a option for classic controls.
    also im disappointed in killstreaks in this game like wtf its bascially call of duty

MAG?.... oh dear lord, I hated MAG. The demo was ok, but after buying it i traded it in after ONE hour(albeit selling it to a relation who was going to buy it).
    I never got rid of a game so quick.
    It was a horrible engine, the whole concept seemed good but it just played awful.

I knew they'd veer this away from the last one, hardcore shooters doesn't appeal to the masses :rolleyes:

Even looking at the vids i wasn't convinced. Prob won't get this in the end so.

MAG?.... oh dear lord, I hated MAG. The demo was ok, but after buying it i traded it in after ONE hour(albeit selling it to a relation who was going to buy it).
    It was a horrible engine, the whole concept seemed good but it just played awful.

I knew they'd veer this away from the last one, hardcore shooters doesn't appeal to the masses :rolleyes:

I loved MAG but still wanted something different from SOCOM. All though it sounds like they've changed a lot, I still trust Zipper will bring out a great game. Please god I hope they do :D

• Advertisement

That really is your loss MAG was and still is one of the best FPS on console.

Takes a while to get into like all good games do. If you played it for an hour then you barely got out of the training mode, the game doesnt unlock until you reach level 10.

The last SOCOM got slated by gamers and even though they might like to stick to the hardcore mode its not much use if no one plays it. Sure they tried something new with MAG and people played it for an hour and sold it.

That really is your loss MAG was and still is one of the best FPS on console.

Takes a while to get into like all good games do. If you played it for an hour then you barely got out of the training mode, the game doesnt unlock until you reach level 10.

The last SOCOM got slated by gamers and even though they might like to stick to the hardcore mode its not much use if no one plays it. Sure they tried something new with MAG and people played it for an hour and sold it.

I did play it for more then an hour when the beta was initially launched.
    I only played the disc for an hour, the guns handled like **** and all round it was just a poor game.

I've played enough FPS to know what's good and what's not, I've had my PS3 since launch and I've went through just about every decent game that's been released and MAG was defo the worst of the lot.

I don't think my opinions are far wrong, it has a 76 on Metacritic which isn't particularly high for a decent game.

The only game to really get the teamwork and big sized maps right is Bad Company 2, unfortunately we were given a piece of **** matchmaking system and your experience hinges too much on a decent squad(while playing last night the lads on my team were all waiting around the base for a helicopter to spawn, I just got sick of them and quit out)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,915 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

32 mulitplayer is just to much I find, pity its that big

Headshot wrote: »
    32 mulitplayer is just to much I find, pity its that big

If the previous titles are anything to go by, there will be 16v16 and 8v8 lobbies. Personally I prefer the 8v8 game modes myself.

If the previous titles are anything to go by, there will be 16v16 and 8v8 lobbies. Personally I prefer the 8v8 game modes myself.

Same as myself

I look forward to the game anyway

http://ie.ps3.ign.com/articles/114/1146655p1.html

heres a article from ign bout the mp modes, seems interesting

I did play it for more then an hour when the beta was initially launched.
    I only played the disc for an hour, the guns handled like **** and all round it was just a poor game.

I've played enough FPS to know what's good and what's not, I've had my PS3 since launch and I've went through just about every decent game that's been released and MAG was defo the worst of the lot.

I don't think my opinions are far wrong, it has a 76 on Metacritic which isn't particularly high for a decent game.

The only game to really get the teamwork and big sized maps right is Bad Company 2, unfortunately we were given a piece of **** matchmaking system and your experience hinges too much on a decent squad(while playing last night the lads on my team were all waiting around the base for a helicopter to spawn, I just got sick of them and quit out)

So you played the Beta thought that was good enough to warrant getting the full game, then when you played the full game which is the exact same you thought it was **** ??

The score critics gave it got slaughtered as many reviewed the game before the servers had even been switched on, and any way COD and Battlefield get high scores are both are very average shooters. FFS Halo 3 got 10/10 and its garbage.

I pay little attention to someone who is paid to say a game is great.

so the game has dedicated servers ?

5 player co-op will be good though.

Theres a guy on youtube called blackwido88 , he makes videos bout socom 4 mostly bashing and addresing that he wants a true socom sequel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I couldn't make it through half of that.

His first few videos about Confrontation were brilliant but then he just turned into an arsehole. Can't stand him anymore.

Here's some good footage of someone playing the mulitplayer. Looks good apart from the respawning.

The beta is out today for Plus members. Looking forward to giving this a go, will post back what I think after I play a few games. Hope to see a few Boardsie's on there too :)

The beta is out today for Plus members. Looking forward to giving this a go, will post back what I think after I play a few games. Hope to see a few Boardsie's on there too :)

''Hopefully it's beta then the last Socom'' :D

''Hopefully it's beta then the last Socom'' :D

I literally shook my head at that pun.

Beta is up on the store now, lads. It's quick enough to download but it has one of those "receiving updates" downloads when you load up the game, similar to SOCOM: Confrontation and MAG. It's taking it's time.

I literally shook my head at that pun.

Beta is up on the store now, lads. It's quick enough to download but it has one of those "receiving updates" downloads when you load up the game, similar to SOCOM: Confrontation and MAG. It's taking it's time.

It was meant to be cheesy hence the inverted commas :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Downloaded nice and fast and then a small update when I went to play it , now it's getting 1.5 gigs worth of files :rolleyes: .

Hopefully it's worth the download.

Really liking this. I had 3 games of the new game mode there where you have to capture 3 points and then plant a beacon in the enemy base. Really enjoyed it, there was 4 or 5 on my team using mics and we basically won the match for the team. Me and one fella were just teaming up to take over the points, I was throwing down the smoke and covering him while he took it over. Communication and teamwork is what's been missing from recent online shooters, will definitely be picking this up day one.

• Advertisement

Bad review from Joystiq here.

They say they've tried to make it a third person CoD. Personally I couldn't see that at all in the beta, only game it's similar to is MAG and that's not a bad thing. They also say that in the single player you can't use voice commands like the PS2 SOCOM's. Did people actually use the voice commands? The novelty wore off on me after the first mission. I agree with them about not including the old modes like Extraction and Demolition, there's a big demand for these and if Zipper use their heads they'll include them in a DLC.

Still looking forward to this game.

Advertisement