Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pull up/Chin ups Challenge 2012?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

3 sets of 5, pull up (wide grip)

3 sets of 6, chin up

will try increase the sets by one this week :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    fair play.
    now get it up to 5!!!

Got 5 today :D

Can't do dead hang pull-ups though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

rubadub wrote: »
    I think doing heavy weighted ring dips messed up my shoulder over a year ago. I am getting over it now, still feels ropey at times yet my dumbbell overhead presses are in line with what I could do before. My dips & pullups are down, but I am fatter now :(

I think people might not be as cautious when going for maxes on BW exercises. I always feel inherently safer doing them but maybe I am overconfident, not judging that it is still likely to injure yourself as easily.

It would be like parents worried about kids lifting weights but probably not as concerned about gymnastic BW strength training.

I warm up well now but do not do any heavy work under 5 reps.

Gym Ring work was the first type of exercises my body took to quite well after getting back training, free weights took much longer. What happened to your shoulder btw? I find doing Barbell Benching doesn't agree with my shoulder (although it doesn't cause pain, it does niggle and cause slight discomfort) and iv been basically been doing mainly dips and small bit of dumbell benching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,601 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rubadub wrote: »
    I am getting over it now, still feels ropey at times yet my dumbbell overhead presses are in line with what I could do before. My dips & pullups are down, but I am fatter now :(

I think bodyfat makes a huge difference for these. Even small changes.
    I've started a 5 x 5 of sorts with pull-ups. Minimal increases every week. I'm using a 1.25kg and a 2.5kg plate to create 3 steps between the each of the 5, 10, 15, 20kg plates. And even something as small as 1.25kg difference is noticeable. Which would be a standard daily flucuation in bodyweight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Thud

Mellor wrote: »
    I think bodyfat makes a huge difference for these. Even small changes.
    I've started a 5 x 5 of sorts with pull-ups. Minimal increases every week. I'm using a 1.25kg and a 2.5kg plate to create 3 steps between the each of the 5, 10, 15, 20kg plates. And even something as small as 1.25kg difference is noticeable. Which would be a standard daily flucuation in bodyweight.

have found that as well, big lunch or lot of fluids on board can make them more difficult

currently at
    15,10,10 @ bw of 80kg
    8,6,5 @ bw +10kg

tried doing some of those archer/circular motion pull ups the other day first one went well, sharp pain in soulder on second one so put halt to them pretty quickly...might try again though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭marathonic

Just a quick question for some of you doing weighted chinups - When do you reckon is best to add weight? I'm currently doing 3 sets of 8 unweighted. I've been trying to decide when to add weight - add to the last set now and build up to 3 sets of 8 again before increasing weight or else build up to 3 sets of 12 first.

Unless someone comes up with a better plan, I'll probably try both - I do chinups every second workout and work out every other day. In other words, I do chinups every 4 days. I'm considering something like the following (I'm planning to add in pullups):

Day 1: Weighted Chinups
    Day 5: Bodyweight Chinups
    Day 9: Weighted Pullups
    Day 13: Bodyweight Pullups
    ....repeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

You're overthinking it. If you want do weighted chins, just do them. If you can do 3x8, I'm sure 3x5+5kg would be manageable. Once you're using heavier weights, you will get less carry over from one variation to the other so you'll need to practice both anyway.

e: the schedule you've laid out there is pretty good, though you don't really need to do both chins and pull ups unless you want to. If you get stronger at one, the other will improve too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

this 'pull up' challenge is very frustrating

I'm still stuck at 7

in the meantime, my bodyweight dips have increased from 6/7 to 12!!
    number of push ups from 24 to 33

i'm lifting heavier dumbbells for bench, same with shoulder press.
    plus, i've even dropped bodyfat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭TheZ

today did +40kg x 5
    +30kg x 5
    +20kg x 10

all chins

i have found best way to add weight is go heavy on first set and then scale it back and maybe add volume on the subsequent sets

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭diegowhite

this 'pull up' challenge is very frustrating

I'm still stuck at 7

in the meantime, my bodyweight dips have increased from 6/7 to 12!!
    number of push ups from 24 to 33

i'm lifting heavier dumbbells for bench, same with shoulder press.
    plus, i've even dropped bodyfat!

What sorta of reps/sets are you using to build up your pullups?

• Advertisement

combination of bodyweight negatives and weighted chins/pull ups.
    I vary the grip a lot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭diegowhite

I mean you going 2 sets of 10 or 3 sets of 8 or ?

my max body weight pull ups is now at 9

i've been focussing on
    some weighted pull ups
    plus some standing cable pulldowns using wide bar

add in a week of rest

now, can I get it up to 11????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Gym Ring work was the first type of exercises my body took to quite well after getting back training, free weights took much longer. What happened to your shoulder btw? I find doing Barbell Benching doesn't agree with my shoulder
    forgot about this thread -I think I had a rotator cuff injury, I think from not warming up before weighted ring dips too many times. But I think it might have been a straw that broke the camels back type of thing. It got very sore going for a max dumbbell overhead press one time so I laid off the weights and did rotator rehab exercises and went to a physio a while after who said it was all OK.

When I started doing pullups again I could not get my chin above the bar, this was not really a strength issue as I could knock out a fair few chins, I got so high and just could not go higher. It sounds similar to what you found, a fixed bar limited me as my shoulders wanted to turn. I could do neutral grip pullups more than chins too.

I always warm up with bands now. I think I (and maybe others) are not wary enough doing bodyweight stuff, banging out max reps or going for a 1RM without a proper warmup -while never doing that with a barbell on other exercises.
    my max body weight pull ups is now at 9

now, can I get it up to 11????
    I found 10 to be a sticking point, and then 20, as I tend to go for round numbers. I am back up to about 12-14 chins now and was thinking of counting in letters rather than numbers to get over my mental block of 10!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Toilet training and finishing college is taking its toll. This morning did 4 x 5 and 1 x 8 @ 89kg.

Tesco jaffa cakes are probably the closest in taste to the real deal.

A good thread to bump i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Thud

i'm up to 10, 8, 7 @ bw 80kg +10kg

gonna up to +15kg when i get 10*3 but grip seems to be weak point at moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

Yesterday I was at my kettle bell class, as only 5 or 6 of us turned up the instructor decided to do a mixed circuit instead of the usual. For the first time at this class he included chin ups.

I got a bar at home last year and have been doing them on and off and despite spending a fair bit of time on them have never been able to get beyond 15 chin ups, and at the moment I would be able for less then that.

Anyway the class I go to has some seriously fit and ripped looking guys in it, who according to themselves are never out of the gym. I went first and managed 13 and was happy enough, what surprised me was what came next, between the 5 of them they hardly managed 15 in total.

Now what I'm wondering is how this happened, is it simply tequniqe, I practice them they don’t, because I really doubt I'm stronger then them, or is it a case of chin ups working specific muscles that these lads would ignore in the gym (and obviously are not worked by the kettle bells to any great degree)

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

Your lats are a pretty big muscle to ignore in the gym!

Maybe you're just stronger and in better shape than you thought :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Michael 09 wrote: »
    Your lats are a pretty big muscle to ignore in the gym!

Maybe you're just stronger and in better shape than you thought :D

I'd aggree with this comment

Your weight to strenght ratio for pulls up is higher than their's. If they train to do chin ups they'll get stronger and be able to to more.

• Advertisement

13???
    seriously jealous

maybe your body was warmed up far more than usual?

they might be ripped gym buddies, but that could be a 'sit-up sick pack', or bulging bi ceps which do sweet f all for doing proper exercises

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

I'm hoping that a few weeks of training with CC gets me back into the challenge. Watch this space

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

farmchoice wrote: »
    Now what I'm wondering is how this happened, is it simply tequniqe, I practice them they don’t
    I'd say thats a lot to do with it. If I take up any new exercise my figures are pathetic, same if I give up and exercise and take it up again.

I think a lot of people join gyms and only use expensive equipment to feel they are getting their moneys worth, so are not going to do basic 'cheap' ancient exercises like chinups.

I remember being in a gym and 2 lads stopped their conversation and were nudging each other looking on when I started doing chins on a squat rack, it was knurled and meant for it but I was guessing they rarely saw people use it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I doubt technique has that much to do with it . Chins is a simple, uncomplicated movement, relatively speaking. Grab bar, pull it. I hadn't done any for years up to 12 or so months ago and I knocked out 7 right off. Yes, dead hang.

It's power to weight. Ripped or no, you're stronger on that movement than them. Credit where it's due.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

I have got a new love of pull ups and chin ups.

I used to do a good bit of chin ups in supersets with the bench years ago (8 chin ups for each set), but hadn't done them in ages. So when I found an outdoor gym recently along my running route, I started popping in maybe twice on a run (outgoing and return), I go about twice a week.

I was never able to get more than a few pull ups before, but managed 9 solid pull ups on my first go, so was over the moon with that and kept plugging away with more sets.

They really are great exercises. Give me time until I can add any extra weight like the rest of ye, but I could do with losing a bit more weight first, so should up the number of body weight pull/chin ups.

I doubt technique has that much to do with it .

Technique has a lot to do with it. Correting some one with poor technique will actually drop the number of chin ups they can do when they learn to do them correctly. The biggest mistakes you'll often see are people swinging their legs about to help do more chin ups and the next is not fully extending there arms and then not lifting high enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Technique has a lot to do with it. Correting some one with poor technique will actually drop the number of chin ups they can do when they learn to do them correctly.

So technique is not why the other guys could do less chins. Exactly my point.

Doesn't take very long to 'learn' full, dead hang ROM.

It's not a technical movement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,601 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Where they a lot bigger than you. It's not uncommon to see a small guy able to do more chins than a guy who is stronger but bigger.

It could also be something as simple as the grip used. if they were overhand and you were under hand, you aren't doing comparable movements.

or maybe you're just better

So technique is not why the other guys could do less chins. Exactly my point.

Who said anything was wrong with there technique. It could be the OP with the poor technique.

Anyway my post was explaining that technique does make a difference when it comes to doing chin ups.

Mellor wrote: »
    Where they a lot bigger than you. It's not uncommon to see a small guy able to do more chins than a guy who is stronger but bigger.

It could also be something as simple as the grip used. if they were overhand and you were under hand, you aren't doing comparable movements.

or maybe you're just better

We were all using the same grip, underhand chin up grip. some were heavier then me I'd say but not very much so, most around the same weight at least reletive to height.

Having read all the replies I have 2 thoughts on the matter.

1. I feel very good about myself!!

2. The comment about being warmed up more then usual. I tend to do chin ups as part of a warm up. They are often the first thing I do. On this occasion I had done an extensive warm up including a lot of dynamic stretches and core work, planks ECT. I think this had an impact on the high number (for me) that I managed.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

You could also have just been motivated to perform in competition/in front of an audience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Tried this for first time. Managed 15 dead hang pull ups at 80kg. Grip slightly wider than shoulder length apart.

Suppose I should aim for 20 then!

I have gone from a max 5 to 9 chin ups, body weight in 3/4 weeks. (I don't know my own bodyweight at the moment)

Negatives have definitely helped me
    As did adding weight 5kg and 10kg

how is anyone else getting on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Only came across this thread tonight. Last tested 5 weeks ago 20 max chin ups and 12 pull ups @ 80kg BW. re-testing in few weeks so hoping to make improvements.

Any ideas for weighted chins/pulls for someone who has no dipping belt? I tried to hold the weight between my feet but too awkward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭JoeyDoh

15 chin Ups @91kg BW and 5 pull-ups with 20kg attached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

I've done 35 wide grip before but don't have it on film, I touch my chin off the bar but I don't get my head over the bar, was about 92kg in this vid

I always get my chin over the bar and add in a small pause.
    Don't count it otherwise.

I'm hoping to do a muscle-up someday!

how are people getting on?

I'm up to 10 bodyweight chin ups (75kg), consistently.
    I get 6 with 10kg added.

any advice for me.

how are people getting on?

I'm up to 10 bodyweight chin ups (75kg), consistently.
    I get 6 with 10kg added.

any advice for me.

dont stop. i was up to 15 tops and 10 consistently. then for one reason or another i more or less stopped doing them for about a month. i was doing plenty of other stuff just not chin ups.

i went back at it on saturday and really struggled to get 8.

Advertisement