Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Joe24

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Jones v Gus is off due to injury.
    Cormier has stepped in and gets the shot.

http://m.uk.ufc.com/news/Jones-Gustafsson-2-Postponed-DC-gets-Title-Shot

Damn, would have liked to see Gustafson get his second crack at it.

Still a huge fight with Cormier though. Do I remember him talking about needing minor surgery at some stage after the fight with Henderson? If he is carrying a minor problem, hope it doesn't cause too much of a hindrance during his camp. This will be a real test for Jones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Its going to be as tough a fight for Jones as Gus just alot more boring for fans, Cormier will not stand and fight with Jones. I can put my house on it. Hes a big strong guy with a fairly good chin. Hes going to try take it to the ground all day! Unbelievably gutted for Gus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Same could be said with the Jones mcgregor card imagine booking it and one them got injured that would be sick.

You jinxed it!!!!!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭Edsonbarboza

dave1982 wrote: »
    You jinxed it!!!!!:D

I feckin knew I should have touched some wood when writing that,Cut the jones fight and let Conor main event this,Sorted Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Joe24

ASOT wrote: »
    Its going to be as tough a fight for Jones as Gus just alot more boring for fans, Cormier will not stand and fight with Jones. I can put my house on it. Hes a big strong guy with a fairly good chin. Hes going to try take it to the ground all day! Unbelievably gutted for Gus.

+1 on Gustafsson. Very disappointing. Wonder what the injury is?

Cormier will 100% try to get it to the ground. But it may not necessarily be boring if he does get Jones down. Sonnen was on top of Silva for the best part of 25 minutes and it was a very exciting fight, in my opinion, because a long time champion was in real trouble. It could be the same here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭Edsonbarboza

Will DC have any problem making weight no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sickened for Gus. Bones is gonna wreck DC. Even if DC takes him down and tries to hug him to death, Jones will obliterate him with elbows. I hope I'm extremely wrong. I think Gus has the best chance of beating him....again!

Will DC have any problem making weight no?

Nah he was on point the last two times, said he was waiting for Jones so i would assume he was keeping a decent diet/shape knowing his time was coming. Dolce said he could make 185 in an article i read today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,601 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

osl wrote: »
    Granted he's fought some tough guys, but he's 10-9 in the UFC. Conor is on an 11 fight win streak, the majority being early KOs. For all the crap that people are talking about him not fighting anyone in the top 10, his 3 victories in the UFC have been dominant and against guys close to, if not in the top 20 when he fought them.
    Wins streaks don't really matter in rankings.
    Fight records don't matter either.
    Rankings are based on the general opinion of ability. That's it.
    Opinion might be influenced by those things, but in theory if McGregor came in without the streak and smashed the same 3 guys he should still be considered about the same level.

Brimage and Holloway weren't close to top 20 btw.

McGregor is 10th because he put away similar fighters to other guys in the 8-12 bracket. Elkins scraped a decision vrs Brandao, Stephens dec'd Elkins, Conor finished Brandao.

At this point (top 10), unless two people are fighting directly, it's a bit of a sudoku to sort then out.

Not a fan of rankings tbh they very messy.I think there should just be champion and the the no1 contender.If Conor beat Poirier do he take ranking of 6 Poiriers place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Why does everything I love disappear :(

If Conor beat Poirier do he take ranking of 6 Poiriers place?
    No, it doesn't work like that, i'd be really stupid if it did.
    It's basically, lots if people list their top 15, and it's averaged out to make the rankings. You can view the individual lists also.

If Conor beats Poirier. I imagine everyone would rank Conor ahead of Poirier in their lists.
    The end result would likely be that Conor moves up a few places and Poirier move downs. Both probably landing around 7th-9th. But if Conor absolutely destroys him, people will list him higher again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

Link
    Gutted for Gus because I think that this could be a double blow for him as I think that DC stands a good chance of beating Jones which would inevitably lead to an immediate rematch which will mean that Gus will have to wait even longer to get a second run at Johny. Still shaping up to be an amazing night of fights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭osl

Mellor wrote: »
    Wins streaks don't really matter in rankings.
    Fight records don't matter either.
    Rankings are based on the general opinion of ability. That's it.
    Opinion might be influenced by those things, but in theory if McGregor came in without the streak and smashed the same 3 guys he should still be considered about the same level.

Brimage and Holloway weren't close to top 20 btw.

McGregor is 10th because he put away similar fighters to other guys in the 8-12 bracket. Elkins scraped a decision vrs Brandao, Stephens dec'd Elkins, Conor finished Brandao.

At this point (top 10), unless two people are fighting directly, it's a bit of a sudoku to sort then out.

Ah yeah I know the rankings are bollocxs. At the same time I do think Conor deserves his spot in the top 10. No one (bar maybe aldo) can stand with him IMO. Different breed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

fightmatrix.com has to be the only place worth looking at for rankings

Ah yeah I know the rankings are bollocxs. At the same time I do think Conor deserves his spot in the top 10. No one (bar maybe aldo) can stand with him IMO. Different breed
    I wasn't saying they are bollocx. I was saying they are a reasonable assessment of ability right now, that's all that counts.
    weemcd wrote: »
    fightmatrix.com has to be the only place worth looking at for rankings

FWIW the FightMatrix rankings are pretty similar.
    They place him at 10th in the UFC. Technically that's one place higher, as they include Aldo at number 1. (Siver bumped to 11th)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

A New Yorker article about Ronda Rousey. http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/07/28/mean-girl

The New Yorker is honestly one of the best general interest magazines in the world, if not the best. I only read their stuff when I have a particular interest but when I do the quality level is beyond anything else published.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,256 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Chael Pleaded Guilty in front of commission. Fined cost of testing and banned from competing anywhere for 2 years

• Advertisement

Only chael can go to court for taking a banned substance and come out there with job.

Chael P Sonnen, the Gangsta and defending middleweight champion of the world

chael-sonnen-with-title.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,643 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

How the fcuk is he only 31

I think he used to fight at 260lbs years ago, he must have been only early 20s then

Diaz signed a contract extension, Looks like Silva v Diaz will be happening :D:D

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/7/24/5935209/nick-diaz-signs-contract-extension-anderson-silva-fight-on-super-bowl

Any kind Fight Club member fancy letting me use their code to get tickets for UFC 178? Failing that does anyone know when the newsletter code comes out. Have tried to subscribe from the UFC site but it won't let me. I'm presuming the codes become common knowledge on sherdog or the underground forums prior to presale anyway? Looking to get 5/6 of the cheapest tickets. Anyone know if they will all be sold out on the first presale? I remember it being tough to get the cheaper tickets for past events I've been to

Diaz V Lawler II pls

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dilapidating

ASOT wrote:
    Diaz signed a contract extension, Looks like Silva v Diaz will be happening  

An exciting fight no doubt but I wish he would try and make another run at the title.
    I think he has the tools to beat a lot of the top welterweights atm.

An exciting fight no doubt but I wish he would try and make another run at the title.
    I think he has the tools to beat a lot of the top welterweights atm.

I agree 100%, IMO i would rate him above most if not all in the WW division. Skilled on his feet and on the ground, along with his trash talk makes him such a good addition to the roster when hes back!

Will be good to see Nick back, had to resort to watching yootoob vids of him tapping out his homies.

• Advertisement

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Will be good to see Nick back, had to resort to watching yootoob vids of him tapping out his homies.

I see Axwell must have been watching that video to get some tips off his back for the game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I'm heading to California at the end of September. Since McGregor was added to the UFC 178 card I'm considering completely reworking the trip to start off in Vegas and catch the event.

Can anyone tell me:
    (a) What is the range of ticket prices and what band of ticket would you need to buy to actually be close enough to see the event?

(b) It looks like I'll have to wait until the general public sale on Friday 8th August - is it likely that only the most expensive tickets will be left at that stage?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

Looks like Pendred will be on the Stockholm card, he just tweeted "#UFCStockholm"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I think he used to fight at 260lbs years ago, he must have been only early 20s then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm heading to California at the end of September. Since McGregor was added to the UFC 178 card I'm considering completely reworking the trip to start off in Vegas and catch the event.

Can anyone tell me:
    (a) What is the range of ticket prices and what band of ticket would you need to buy to actually be close enough to see the event?

(b) It looks like I'll have to wait until the general public sale on Friday 8th August - is it likely that only the most expensive tickets will be left at that stage?

Thanks

Tickets range from $100 to $1000. If you want til general sale you're screwed. Pay the €70 for Fight Club and get presale tickets. It's your only shot at the cheap seats.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Tickets range from $100 to $1000. If you want til general sale you're screwed. Pay the €70 for Fight Club and get presale tickets. It's your only shot at the cheap seats.

Do you happen to know how many tickets you can get with the Fight Club membership? I remember being able to get 8 3/4 years ago. Was on ticketmaster at the exact time tickets opened and still had to settle for the 2nd cheapest tickets.

Edit to say does anyone have experience using the newsletter code? Were the cheapest seats still available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Do you happen to know how many tickets you can get with the Fight Club membership? I remember being able to get 8 3/4 years ago. Was on ticketmaster at the exact time tickets opened and still had to settle for the 2nd cheapest tickets.

Edit to say does anyone have experience using the newsletter code? Were the cheapest seats still available?

It has never been 8, always 6, which is 4 too many IMO, touts have a few credit cards, they can get 24 each easily at the drop of a hat

scudzilla wrote: »
    It has never been 8, always 6, which is 4 too many IMO, touts have a few credit cards, they can get 24 each easily at the drop of a hat

I got 8 back at UFC 131 with fight club. Looking like I'll need 8 this time around as well. Will have to chance the newsletter for the extra ones.

On 2nd thought I think I got 2 sets of 4 tickets, so you're probably right about the 6 ticket limit

Cub vs Frankie December 13th. Winner will surely get a title shot.

Dana announced Aldo V mendes before year end in Brazil

Dana announced Aldo V mendes,before year end in Brazil

October to be exact, usless info alert; the arena it is being held in stands right next to the Maracana where Germany won the world cup.

• Advertisement

Yupp Aldo and Mendez at UFC 179. Any chance of a shnakey title fight before new years for Conor? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

If there is an injury you never know....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Yupp Aldo and Mendez at UFC 179. Any chance of a shnakey title fight before new years for Conor? :pac:
    If there is an injury you never know....

Winning against Poirer is an absolute must based on who is getting a recent events.

Am I the only who thinks Seery is quicker to a shot than Conor based on how thin the flyweight division is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭smilerf

would have said the houligan myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,643 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I'd love to see Seery versus Lineker. That would be a war

unknown13 wrote: »
    Winning against Poirer is an absolute must based on who is getting a recent events.

Am I the only who thinks Seery is quicker to a shot than Conor based on how thin the flyweight division is.

Ais Daly FTW

UFC 182 Jan 3rd looks set to be Hendricks V Lawler II, Hendricks on the MMA hour only mentioned this particular timing even though he was reluctant to say for sure, it makes sense prob as everything else PPV wise till then looks booked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,256 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Read an article about how the fact that Lawler had to go and win his way back to a title shot has made this fight all the more exciting and I have to agree.

Immediate rematches are all well and good but when you do them, one guy is always coming in on a loss. Lawler was so close last time (although he definitely lost 3-2) and winning his last two fights has shown that it hasn't been a fluke for him.

It's funny how, before the Brown fight, everyone was talking about how Brown was this limited guy who has just had a good run after losing to some less than stellar opponents in the past. You could substitute the name "Brown" for "Lawler" there. Mayhem Miller, Babalu, Larkin.... he has really reinvented himself since then.

I'd love nothing more, especially as an old school fan, than seeing Robbie Lawler as the World Champion!

Jorge Masvidal v Bobby Green added to....yep UFC178 that card on paper is ridiculously good!!

Cub vs Frankie December 13th. Winner will surely get a title shot.

Oh Snap!

cswansonmtk70.png

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement