Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Crowely MEP (what is he doing?)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

vinylbomb wrote: »
    And what a trough it is

Salary - €95,000 approx
    Daily Subsistence - €304 daily (x5(days)=€1520x36(working weeks) = €54720)
    Monthly stipend - €4,299 (x9 (months)= €51588)

Total = €200858, approx

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/no-mercy-ming-ec-may-slash-expenses-for-low-attendance-1.2041487

And don't forget the pension thereafter....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

touts wrote: »
    Look at thw voting record for the last parliament. Crowley couldnt be bothered to turn up for most votes back then. He claimed he was ill but for the six months leading up to the election he made most votes and went around munster saying he was now fit and healthy and raring to go and represent his people once again. He certainly looked in fine health as he campaigned. Now he is back in he suddenly starts handing in the sick notes again. Its a disgrace. If he worked in the private sector he would have been sacked years ago.

He's a leech from the Fianna fail pit. What do you expect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

People told me that the likes of Ming were better than what has gone before, I take it you agree that the independents are now shown to be no better?

Godge wrote: »
    People told me that the likes of Ming were better than what has gone before, I take it you agree that the independents are now shown to be no better?

So you would have preferred Ming to have stayed in Brussels while he's unborn baby looked like it was going to be born months premature and he's wife seriously Ill?

So you would have preferred Ming to have stayed in Brussels while he's unborn baby looked like it was going to be born months premature and he's wife seriously Ill?

I think that what people are saying is that in someone's not able to carry out his or her duties, they should step aside and let someone else do so in their place. Their health or that of immediate family members should come first.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

I, for one, would prefer if he accepted that he can't do the job and let someone else do the job. If his family situation is so serious, he can't do a job which involves a lot of travel and being away from home. On the other hand, it is immoral to take money for a job you're not doing.

You have some cheek after posting below. One rule for Ming, another for Crowley.

Ming should have taken carer's leave - unpaid leave for up to 65 weeks to look after his wife and his substitute should have done the job.

Crowley should have taken sick leave, he would probably have run out of it by now and his substitute should have done the job.

That is what happens in the rest of the world except in the cosy place that Ming lives. I take it you are happy that he is paid all that money to stay at home and care for his wife when so many more people have to quit their job and go on carer's allowance to look after their sick loved ones. Ming is no better than any other politician when it comes to living off the taxpayer, arguably he is worse than most as he had no shame about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The EP is a gravy train. Not very many know what the hell goes on over there and what our MEPs are doing. It's not like domestic politics where every little rant is reported.

Anyway, I think in Ming's case, he is far better suited to domestic politics. And TBH, and I am making assumptions here for sure, but the anonymity of Brussels and Strasbourg does not suit him.

Here, he could make noise and get attention for his causes, and he was good at that. Over there, small cog in a big wheel. Not the same thing. But the sponduliks are better over there aren't they?

I wish Mr. Crowley well. He sure shafted Micheal Martin back at the EU elections anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Jim2007 wrote: »
    He really has got you under his spell! He is supposed to represent your interest in all matters not just a few local issues or do you feel that things like:

- scrapping laws on waste and clean air
    - scrapping laws on recycling
    - paid maternity leave
    - scrapping mobile roaming charges
    - trade agreements that will impact Ireland
    - budget negotiations and agreement

are not important to you?

Wake up, you have basically had no representation on most of the issues that will impact this country over the past 12 months.... while 'Ming The Money' has been collecting a nice fat salary by convening you that there are only a few issues that impact MidNW and you don't even know if he was there for even that!

You know how vote pairing works yes?

vinylbomb wrote: »
    Parish pump politics, alive, well and taken to a European level.

I didn't say grab all I said represent, which is their mandate.

• Advertisement

Look at thw voting record for the last parliament. Crowley couldnt be bothered to turn up for most votes back then. He claimed he was ill but for the six months leading up to the election he made most votes and went around munster saying he was now fit and healthy and raring to go and represent his people once again. He certainly looked in fine health as he campaigned. Now he is back in he suddenly starts handing in the sick notes again. Its a disgrace. If he worked in the private sector he would have been sacked years ago.

You know much about employment law???

efb wrote: »

Is there vote pairing in the European Parliament? I know there wasn't in the previous session, has it been introduced now?

I do and if you were an ordinary worker, the ones Ming claims to represent, you would have to take carer's leave in that situation, apply to social welfare for carer's allowance and take your chance that you will get it and that your employer will genuinely keep your job open for you on your return.

But if you are on the gravy train and attending 16.6% of the time, you can get your constituents to excuse you. I suppose there are those who elect Lowry all the time.

Do you? You are entitled to Force Majeur, which is three days in any period of twelve consecutive months and five days in any period of thirty six consecutive months, for URGENT matters concerning a family member's illness. That is the only paid leave of absence you are entitled to under employment law. Anything else has to be unpaid.

As for certified sick leave; in the public service you are entitled to a maximum of three months in four years. You don't get anything like that in the private domaine.

Employment law, for some reason, doesn't seem to apply to politicians.

The blue shirts fear is palpable!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

I'm no Fine Gael die hard, but I'm gonna guess you've got yourself wrapped in a tricolour and praying to the shrine of Jerray. (or maybe the Hammer & Sickle and Comrade Murphy?)

The hypocrisy is rank.

edit: Not that I give a sh*t about your politics one way or the other, the discussion is about Ming, Crowley and their abysmal voting records - independent of their political hue.

What sort of nonsense is this?

And how does it relate to Ming ripping off the European taxpayer?

katydid wrote: »
    Do you? You are entitled to Force Majeur, which is three days in any period of twelve consecutive months and five days in any period of thirty six consecutive months, for URGENT matters concerning a family member's illness. That is the only paid leave of absence you are entitled to under employment law. Anything else has to be unpaid.

As for certified sick leave; in the public service you are entitled to a maximum of three months in four years. You don't get anything like that in the private domaine.

Employment law, for some reason, doesn't seem to apply to politicians.

regarding sacking

regarding sacking

Explain further please. Who suggested Ming should be sacked. All that has been suggested is that he follows the normal employment law arrangements of taking short-term force majeure leave and longer-term carer's leave, the same as his constituents are entitled to.

Unless of course, you and him believe he is entitled to a higher form of entitlement because he is a politician?

Explain further please. Who suggested Ming should be sacked. All that has been suggested is that he follows the normal employment law arrangements of taking short-term force majeure leave and longer-term carer's leave, the same as his constituents are entitled to.

Unless of course, you and him believe he is entitled to a higher form of entitlement because he is a politician?
    The ease at which people in the private sector can be sacked

The ease at which people in the private sector can be sacked

I still don't understand the point you are making. Are you suggesting that Ming should be sacked?

If not, are you suggesting that because he cannot be sacked, he can take time off at his lesiure? Because civil servants can't be sacked either but if they want time off to care for their spouse, they must take unpaid leave. So your analogy falls down right there.

• Advertisement

I still don't understand the point you are making. Are you suggesting that Ming should be sacked?

If not, are you suggesting that because he cannot be sacked, he can take time off at his lesiure? Because civil servants can't be sacked either but if they want time off to care for their spouse, they must take unpaid leave. So your analogy falls down right there.

Originally Posted by touts View Post

I was stating the last part of this claim is false.

Originally Posted by touts View Post

I was stating the last part of this claim is false.

It can be difficult at times to sack all right but I bet you one thing - they wouldn't keep paying him if he was in the private sector, they would have stopped his sick leave and he would be on state disability. The best he could hope for is a call from his boss every few months to check how he is.

Because civil servants can't be sacked either but if they want time off to care for their spouse, they must take unpaid leave. .
    Civil servants, like anyone else, can certainly be sacked if they fail to do their job. If someone simply doesn't turn up for work for weeks on end because of a sick spouse, they would be breaking their terms and conditions.

No I'm mean people in the private sector cannot be as easily sacked as is claimed here

It can be difficult at times to sack all right but I bet you one thing - they wouldn't keep paying him if he was in the private sector, they would have stopped his sick leave and he would be on state disability. The best he could hope for is a call from his boss every few months to check how he is.

If you were completeting work from home as agreed you would.

SF claimed expenses while never setting foot in the UK Parliament- and got re-elected!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

So who was he paired with and on which votes? Also continuous pairing is representation!

Your a victim of Ming The Money - he will be collecting cash from this gig until the day he dies and you got absolutely nothing but hot air out of it!

Jim2007 wrote: »
    So who was he paired with and on which votes? Also continuous pairing is representation!

Your a victim of Ming The Money - he will be collecting cash from this gig until the day he dies and you got absolutely nothing but hot air out of it!

I decide whether I'm being victimised

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

I do actually. When an employee is no longer capable of doing the job their position may be terminated. Crowley would fit that standard by even the loosest application of the terms in the private sector. I have seen two or three similar cases to his in my career. Employers are under no obligation to keep an employee that can no longer do to the job. You have to follow set procedures and policies and you may have to offer a redundancy package but once an employee is no longer able (or won't be for some considerable period) to do the job employment law is fully on the side of the employer.

It is not as if he does not have a track record of non attendance. A quick look at Vote Watch Europe exposes a DISMAL picture.

July 2009-Dec 2009 He turned up to work 82% of the time. As we will see that is excellent by his standards. But it's not so good by attendance standards in the private sector. Verbal warning territory.

Jan 2010-June 2010 0% He didn't turn up to work once. HR and company doctor definitely involved. Possible written Warning Territory. Pay cut to welfare allowance would be pretty standard in the private sector but I'll bet it didn't happen here.

July 2010-Dec 2010 He managed to turn up for 88% of the votes. An improvement we'll try for 100% next month shall we.

Jan 2011-June 2011 Oh No. Things are slipping again. 30% attendance. HR are seriously involved. Termination with a package now being looked at.

July 2011-Dec 2011 0% He didn't turn up to work once. Now people have said he was seriously ill in this period but also in this period he was looking for the Fianna Fail nomination for the presidency. If I was an employer and had an employee out sick and then found out he was basically off doing interviews for another job I'd be furious. Now we are looking at termination without a package.

Jan 2012-June 2012- 0% Again he didn't turn up to work once. Now not even the union would be supporting him

July 2012-Dec 2012 49%. What do you even do with him now. At less than 50% you have no idea if he is going to turn up to work or not but in his case he won't step aside and allow you hire someone to replace him because he might turn up a few days and want his desk. That wouldn't be tolerated in the private sector.

Jan 2013-June 2013. 0% Why do we even printing a clock in card for him.

July 2013-Dec 2014: 93%. Wow. That's amazing for him. Is his contract up for renewal or something. Oh yes it is.....

Jan 2014-June 2014. 0%. I warned you not to give him that bloody contract extension...

June 2014-Dec 2014. 0% Crowley? Crowley? Ammmm oh I'm not sure he still works here. I think he left. Let me check the company directory. Well would you believe it. Apparently he is still on the books.

Now Ming is different. Ming's case is clearly an unexpected medical emergency. As an understanding employer we will try to facilitate him as much as possible with things like working from home etc. But once the baby and mother are both home and well we'll expect him back to work full time in the office.

I do actually. When an employee is no longer capable of doing the job their position may be terminated. Crowley would fit that standard by even the loosest application of the terms in the private sector. I have seen two or three similar cases to his in my career. Employers are under no obligation to keep an employee that can no longer do to the job. You have to follow set procedures and policies and you may have to offer a redundancy package but once an employee is no longer able (or won't be for some considerable period) to do the job employment law is fully on the side of the employer.

It is not as if he does not have a track record of non attendance. A quick look at Vote Watch Europe exposes a DISMAL picture.

July 2009-Dec 2009 He turned up to work 82% of the time. As we will see that is excellent by his standards. But it's not so good by attendance standards in the private sector. Verbal warning territory.

Jan 2010-June 2010 0% He didn't turn up to work once. HR and company doctor definitely involved. Possible written Warning Territory. Pay cut to welfare allowance would be pretty standard in the private sector but I'll bet it didn't happen here.

July 2010-Dec 2010 He managed to turn up for 88% of the votes. An improvement we'll try for 100% next month shall we.

Jan 2011-June 2011 Oh No. Things are slipping again. 30% attendance. HR are seriously involved. Termination with a package now being looked at.

July 2011-Dec 2011 0% He didn't turn up to work once. Now people have said he was seriously ill in this period but also in this period he was looking for the Fianna Fail nomination for the presidency. If I was an employer and had an employee out sick and then found out he was basically off doing interviews for another job I'd be furious. Now we are looking at termination without a package.

Jan 2012-June 2012- 0% Again he didn't turn up to work once. Now not even the union would be supporting him

July 2012-Dec 2012 49%. What do you even do with him now. At less than 50% you have no idea if he is going to turn up to work or not but in his case he won't step aside and allow you hire someone to replace him because he might turn up a few days and want his desk. That wouldn't be tolerated in the private sector.

Jan 2013-June 2013. 0% Why do we even printing a clock in card for him.

July 2013-Dec 2014: 93%. Wow. That's amazing for him. Is his contract up for renewal or something. Oh yes it is.....

Jan 2014-June 2014. 0%. I warned you not to give him that bloody contract extension...

June 2014-Dec 2014. 0% Crowley? Crowley? Ammmm oh I'm not sure he still works here. I think he left. Let me check the company directory. Well would you believe it. Apparently he is still on the books.

Now Ming is different. Ming's case is clearly an unexpected medical emergency. As an understanding employer we will try to facilitate him as much as possible with things like working from home etc. But once the baby and mother are both home and well we'll expect him back to work full time in the office.

Excellent post.

If it doesn't work out for them in Europe, Enda can appoint them to a few boards.

Or is that just for he's neighbours?

• Advertisement

Ming's case is different to Crowley but that doesn't give him a free pass.

Very few employers would continue paying 200k a year for six months to someone in that situation.

Also a carpenter or a bricklayer can't work from home, neither can a MEP.

Ming is being paid expenses for the cost of travelling to Europe and it still getting them. Haven't seen him say he is handing them back.

He is like the pigs in Animal Farm.

Advertisement