Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DCG Project 2013

Options
  • 06-09-2012 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know when we will be getting the brief for this?

One of the few things I'm kinda looking forward to this year tbh, I've always had an interest in Solid Works.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Probably going to come out around the last week of September.

I'm looking forward to it, I love SolidWorks (though I've yet to get a copy for myself :( ) and like doing it but my teachers is fairly hapless! I think we're really behind on the drawing half of the course, and some of the more basic things on SolidWorks he doesn't even know :mad:

I would dearly love something like a smartphone, last year (a perfume bottle) was fairly hard, trying to improve that would've been tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

I managed to get a copy for myself at the start of the year alright, working on making a PSP atm.

Yep something like a smartphone or game controller would be ideal, last years was a nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

I did it last year and to be honest it wasn't that difficult, you have a choice between an improvement or a new design based on the topics they give you, I basically just copied the Zippo lighter design (going with the culture option) and bang, A2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nariek1

H.L = Lectern
    O.L = A Clock
    Both projects a decent.

nariek1 wrote: »
    H.L = Lectern
    O.L = A Clock
    Both projects a decent.

I presume that's this years?

Sounds good, a lectern allows for a lot change and imagination in it's design.

• Advertisement

Oh god I hope its not that!

How the fluck are you meant to do a concept design on a lectern??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

Stick in a touchscreen to allow people to control a projector, add speakers, be creative. You can add strobe lights to give seizures for all anyone cares.

Stick in a touchscreen to allow people to control a projector, add speakers, be creative. You can add strobe lights to give seizures for all anyone cares.

Yeah he's right, we were always told the more bizarre the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

H.L = Lectern
    O.L = A Clock
    Both projects a decent.

Ah jaysus a lecturn sounds crap :( How do you know this for sure though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Schools received the briefs on Friday

• Advertisement

Yep its a lectern alright we got our briefs today :mad:

My main gripe with it is that its going to be very difficult to get measurements to build it on Solid Works.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

My main gripe with it is that its going to be very difficult to get measurements to build it on Solid Works.

It's some change in size alright compared to other years... like the perfume bottle from last year and the sat nav the year before would be handy enough for taking measurements :pac:

Still happy enough with it though, plenty of room for new design ideas!

Jesus this really is a brutal title, were brainstorming atm for outputs 1 and 2, and I have no idea what to write about! A history of lecterns? :confused:

Any ideas? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Barster

Anybody have any tips for the project as a whole? , need at least a B2 in the subject need all the help I can get thanks greatly apprecited :D , starting output 1 as we speak ... any design ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DonallFitz

So what are people's thoguhts on the DCG Project for higher level 2013? Bit boring right?
    "Carry out a design investigation of the physical form and features of modern lecterns"
    My imagination is drawing blank :confused:

DonallFitz wrote: »
    So what are people's thoguhts on the DCG Project for higher level 2013? Bit boring right?
    "Carry out a design investigation of the physical form and features of modern lecterns"
    My imagination is drawing blank :confused:
    With regards to section A yeah, it could be a bit tough, but I've plenty of ideas for Section B and the concept design, the lectern is great for that because unlike a phone you can go mad with the design!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nariek1

Barster wrote: »
    Anybody have any tips for the project as a whole? , need at least a B2 in the subject need all the help I can get thanks greatly apprecited :D , starting output 1 as we speak ... any design ideas?

Best advice is to avoid the temptation to simply copy/pasting text/images from Internet for output 1, instead have precise detailed text with neat, accurate sketches and crucially evidence of primary research eg your own pic's of artefacts and cuttings from mag's catalogues etc. For the Solidworks section ensure 2 have at LEAST the minimum of 5 distinct parts, keep it relatively simple as u won't get extra marks for over elaborate modelling but have measurements as accurate and realistic as possible. For section B, in general new concept gets more marks than modification output.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Anybody have a link to the brief? I did the fragrance bottle last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    Anybody have a link to the brief? I did the fragrance bottle last year

http://t4.ie/Assessment/LC-DCG/Assignment/DCG%20Student%20Assignment%202013(EV).pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Zackattack117

Does anyone want to share/help me out with the History of the Lectern? spent about an hour or two and can't find a thing about it thats worth writing, anybody I know in school either can't find it or isn't willing to help out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Yakuza42

Best advice is to avoid the temptation to simply copy/pasting text/images from Internet for output 1, instead have precise detailed text with neat, accurate sketches and crucially evidence of primary research eg your own pic's of artefacts and cuttings from mag's catalogues etc. For the Solidworks section ensure 2 have at LEAST the minimum of 5 distinct parts, keep it relatively simple as u won't get extra marks for over elaborate modelling but have measurements as accurate and realistic as possible. For section B, in general new concept gets more marks than modification output.

This post pretty much says it all. I did my Leaving 3 years ago, simple projects done well always get the best marks. I went on to do Architecture in DSA and the same still stands. So no copying / pasting from internet - nice simple explanatory sketches instead, evidence of your own research and a well managed, sophisticated model and you will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭JackTheGrinder

Just wondering for output 2, in general would it be advisable to compare and contrast 2 completely different lecterns, like a high tech modern one and an ornmamental one from the 18th century, or is it better to compare and contrast 2 modern ones? like with slight differences in design, flexibility etc.?
    Help appreciated

I think that it would be more valuable to the project to compare a traditional lectern and a modern one. Considering the positives and negatives of various improvements, both technological and aesthetic, would give you a basis for your further investigations; and also allow you to use these points (lets say the negatives) as a solid foundation for possible improvements in your own design.

Cool, still haven't starte on output 1, can't get any layout/ideas I like. I'm going to do two pages for output 1 - brief history page and exploration of brief page, then two pages for output 2, contrasting two lecterns with key features first and then two detailed sketches examining the more specific details of the two. do you think that sounds ok?

Cool, still haven't starte on output 1, can't get any layout/ideas I like. I'm going to do two pages for output 1 - brief history page and exploration of brief page, then two pages for output 2, contrasting two lecterns with key features first and then two detailed sketches examining the more specific details of the two. do you think that sounds ok?

Sorry I was late replying, I was busy with work the past few days. That sounds pretty good but I haven't read the brief for the 2012 DCG project yet. I'm not sure if it is still run by T4. Can somebody post a link to the brief or contact me with a private message to e-mail me a PDF. Maybe if I read into it a bit more I can offer some better advice.

Hey this is the link to the brief:
    http://www.t4.ie/Assessment/LC-DCG/Assignment/DCG%20Student%20Assignment%202013%28EV%29.pdf

Glad to listen to any advice you have :)

I've just gone through the brief trying to pick out what they are looking for and I've included some quick questions that could get ideas going in relation to Output 1.

Modern lecterns are available in a wide range of shapes, forms and materials.

[Try to research a few different types of shapes, even ones that you don't particularly like. They want to see that you have looked at every style and understand how they are different. Figure out why some materials are better for the purpose than others. The texture and warmth of wood are nice properties for a lectern, because people will be resting their hands on it and engaging directly with the material, whilst for example, carbon fiber or some other FRP will allow you create forms that would be too complex for traditional construction, at the expense of the texture and workmanship of wood.]

Originally they consisted of a sloping surface with a ledge to hold a book, dictionary or other papers while its user read or lectured from a standing position.

[This could prompt an investigation into the ergonomics of the modern lectern, or how well they fit the body. What is the ideal distance from the eye that a person should read a book? Does this distance correspond with reading from a lectern? Can it be improved by raising or lowering the height of the shelf? Etc.]

More recently many lecterns facilitate multimedia presentations with built in sound systems, auto cue, etc.

[Once again, a thorough investigation into all types of multimedia facilities will be required here. They want to see that you have researched all possibilities and that you own design is well informed. I'm not really sure of what examples to give here, but I presume you could research speakers, volume controls, lighting controls, maybe a docking station for a laptop or iPhone? Think about the devices people use on a day to day basis, would it be good to be able to work on your presentation on your iPhone on the way to work and to then play it straight to the projector?]

(A) Carry out a design investigation of the physical form and features of modern lecterns.Your design investigation should include a brief exploration of the development of the lectern over the ages.

[See information above. With regards to the development of the lectern over the ages you could maybe do it in a timeline format, going from the very first lecterns all the way up to the present day, showing key changes along the way. Maybe the first lecterns were just a rock for example, something that differentiated the speaker from his audience. Maybe the next step was that a platform for a book or paper was introduced, and then a touchscreen etc etc..]

I probably started ranting there for the last bit but maybe you will get an idea or two from it. When you are looking for stuff on the internet, Google searches can be good, but a lot of the time your just going to get a very narrow view of what a lectern could be. I.e if you all search for 'Lectern' 9 times out of 10 they will be all alike. A good way to think outside the box is to sift through design websites. You probably wont find any lecterns but for example you might find a cool chair, or a table, or even some material or shape that you think might work with the project. Here as some ideas:

www.notcot.org

http://www.designboom.com/design.html

http://www.dezeen.com/

http://www.flyingarchitecture.com/category/3d-models/furniture-3d-models/

Looked at Google Trends for "Lecterns", ahhh now lads! :L

2rqhd1v.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34 BenMcCabe

I'm finished my modern lectern on solidworks now, not lookin so bad just need to sketch up and old one and compare and contrast them, then I'm onto makin' my own one.

Bit of a dodgy project to be honest, lecterns in all fairness...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

BenMcCabe wrote: »
    I'm finished my modern lectern on solidworks now, not lookin so bad just need to sketch up and old one and compare and contrast them, then I'm onto makin' my own one.

I can't help but feel worried after reading that, I'm only starting the Solidworks output this week :p

Advertisement