Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Leap" into the unknown: The feedback thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

AngryLips wrote: »
    +1 on this. It is very frustrating especially where there is a service disruption. I once tagged on at Abbey Street only to notice afterwards that the real-time displays were showing that trams were only running as far into town as Smithfield. I couldn't understand why the validators were not disabled in this situation and when I phoned Luas for a refund I got some attitude along the lines of "you should've checked the service notices first" before they reluctantly refunded my ticket "as a once-off gesture of goodwill" ...for charging me for a service they were unable to provide at that time.

Something similar happened to me, however in that case no trams were running and I had no problem getting a refund (except they got my name completely wrong on the cheque even though all communication was via email /sigh/). In my case I had got off a train in Heuston, walked across to the South bound Luas platform, tagged on up on the right hand side where the display is not visible and then walked up to the display to see the message and curse loudly. Learned my lesson though...

Also tagged on twice once - well tagged on, forgot had tagged on and so subsequently tagged off. A little more flexibility in the system for eejits like me would be nice ;)

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.nationaltransport.ie/news/another-leap-forward-leap-card-now-available-to-purchase-and-top-up-from-dart-and-commuter-train-stations/
    Another Leap Forward! Leap Card now available to purchase and top-up from DART and Commuter train stations
    07/08/12

The National Transport Authority is pleased to announce that Leap Card, its integrated transport ticketing system for the Greater Dublin Area has just become even more convenient.

Leap Card can now be purchased and topped up at ticket machines at all DART and Commuter stations in the Short Hop Zone (Dublin to Balbriggan, M3 Parkway, Maynooth, Hazelhatch).

For more information see the Leap Card now available at ticket vending machines Press Release

http://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Leap-Card-now-available-at-ticket-vending-machines-Press-Release.pdf
    ANOTHER LEAP FORWARD!
    LEAP CARD NOW AVAILABLE TO PURCHASE AND TOP-UP FROM DART AND COMMUTER TRAIN STATIONS

The National Transport Authority is pleased to announce that Leap Card, its integrated transport ticketing system for the Greater Dublin Area has just become even more convenient.

Leap Card can now be purchased and topped up at ticket machines at all DART and Commuter stations in the Short Hop Zone (Dublin to Balbriggan, M3 Parkway, Maynooth, Hazelhatch).

Iarnród Éireann, in partnership with the National Transport Authority, has now upgraded ticket machines in all 53 stations to cater for Leap Card and this adds to the range of top-up options Leap Card customers already have: online at www.leapcard.ie , at Payzone outlets, and at Luas ticket machines.

Leap Card offers passengers value for money and greater convenience with every transaction. Leap Card is easy to use and hassle-free eliminating the need for correct change or frequent queuing at ticket machines for single tickets. With DART and Commuter Rail Services, Dublin Bus and Luas all on board, Leap Card users can enjoy hassle free savings of up to:
    * 18% on DART and Commuter Rail services
    * 17% on Luas
    * 11% on Dublin Bus

In addition, all existing Luas and DART/Commuter Rail Smart Card holders can exchange their old Smart Card for a FREE Leap Card at www.leapcard.ie

Ends

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I wonder why they say Dublin to Balbriggan. What happened to the south of the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That's covered by DART. They're referring to the commuter services.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

lxflyer wrote: »
    That's covered by DART. They're referring to the commuter services.
    Suppose,
    But I recall getting commuter from coolmine to sydney parade about 4 years ago, with no need for a dart transfer. Have they stopped doing that?

The rosslare service also doubles up as commuter. So if a press release is going to state within the short hop commuter zone it makes sense to mention greystones in the south as well.

People will find that lack of detail to be trivial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Dravokivich you're just being pedantic, the press release says you can top up at all dart stations plus the commuter services mentioned. Both Sydney Parade and Greystones are Dart stations so it's about as clear as it can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Dravokivich you're just being pedantic, the press release says you can top up at all dart stations plus the commuter services mentioned. Both Sydney Parade and Greystones are Dart stations so it's about as clear as it can be.

The press release says short hop zone
    IE say here here it goes from Greystones

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭markest

Kilcoole is the most southerly station (if you can call it a station) in the short hop zone. It is after greystones and is served by commuter and intercity services.

Ah but does it have a ticket machine?

Huh? I wasn't forcing anything. All I was saying was that it seemed odd they didn't state the end of the south part of the line and chances are people would not make as clear a distinction as you have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Does Broombridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

No, it isn't Leap enabled either.

http://www.irishrail.ie/cat_stations_detail.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

http://www.thejournal.ie/student-travelcards-leap-cards-553474-Aug2012/
    How exciting, students will be able to pay the exact same adult fare with the leap-enabled travelcard. And instead of paying €5, you get to pay €12 for it! They've also pretty much confirmed no daily/weekly capping until at least 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

blubloblu wrote: »
    How exciting, students will be able to pay the exact same adult fare with the leap-enabled travelcard. And instead of paying €5, you get to pay €12 for it! They've also pretty much confirmed no daily/weekly capping until at least 2013.
    coming not so soon!

That whole Leap card is a bit of an mess at this stage, they should probably consider scrapping it before it becomes too much of an embarasssement, 50million+ and 12 years for what exactly? it wont save you money unless you rarely use it and you cant use it for your regular commuting journeys.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

foggy_lad wrote: »
    coming not so soon!

That whole Leap card is a bit of an mess at this stage, they should probably consider scrapping it before it becomes too much of an embarasssement, 50million+ and 12 years for what exactly? it wont save you money unless you rarely use it and you cant use it for your regular commuting journeys.

It's a mess that there's not pre-paid products on it yet and that's there's no capping.

But what on earth would the logic be in scrapping it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭AngryLips

If there's no change to pricing by H1 2013 to make use of the "smart" part of this smartcard then I think it's safe to write off the whole experiment as a monumental waste of money IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

blubloblu wrote: »

Whilst I would agree that it's nowhere near fully enabling the abilities of Leapcard technology,it's not quite so Awful for Student Leapers as the Journal article might be interpreted.

Currently,cash paying students over 16 get NO discount on Bus Cash Fares.

With the Student Leapcard they will at least get the discounted LeapFare,so that alone is some advance for them.

It also needs to be noted that the current Student Travelcard costs....erm...€12 with it's replacement Student Leapcard costing....ah...€12 ;)

Leapcard have,in fact discounted the €5 deposit requirement so another,albeit small,financial benefit to the Student Leaper.

However,all that said,Leapcard's roll-out remains one of the most glaring examples of Official Ireland making a total hames of something which had the potential to be a game-changer in Public Transport.

A frightening lack of vision,confidence and backbone allowed a variety of well funded and powerful regulatory agencies to fudge and fluff their responsibilities.

This approach (or lack thereof) has actually created brand new problems and superimposed them on top of an already archaic Dublin Public Transport Fare Structures.....An epic FAIL in my opinion.

At this juncture,Leapcard,instead of being out in front in the minds of Dublin Public Transport users,is struggling to maintain the small amount of momentum it gained at launch.

The decision,taken at inception,over a decade ago,to allow every individual service provider to "do their own Ticketing thing" has effectively left Leapcard with a battle of significant proportions to fight.

Thus far,we see no signs of Leapcard winning that battle,let alone the war.

It's rare enough for me to agree with Foggy_Lads assessments of situations,but in the case of Leapcard he's not far off the mark as to the outcome,UNLESS somebody in charge wakes up pronto :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Whilst I would agree that it's nowhere near fully enabling the abilities of Leapcard technology,it's not quite so Awful for Student Leapers as the Journal article might be interpreted.

Currently,cash paying students over 16 get NO discount on Bus Cash Fares.

With the Student Leapcard they will at least get the discounted LeapFare,so that alone is some advance for them.
    Tickets like the travel90 will get them better savings.
    It also needs to be noted that the current Student Travelcard costs....erm...€12 with it's replacement Student Leapcard costing....ah...€12 ;)

Leapcard have,in fact discounted the €5 deposit requirement so another,albeit small,financial benefit to the Student Leaper.
    <snip>
    It's rare enough for me to agree with Foggy_Lads assessments of situations,but in the case of Leapcard he's not far off the mark as to the outcome,UNLESS somebody in charge wakes up pronto :eek:
    Correct me if I am wrong about the travelcard but won't students still be required to pay €12 for the student travelcard to use intercity or commuter rail outside of the short hop zone and if that is the case then this student leap card is even less value than you seem to think. my understanding on why it cost €12 instead of the normal €5 was because it was a personalised card with the photo of the holder emblazoned on the front.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Tickets like the travel90 will get them better savings.

Correct me if I am wrong about the travelcard but won't students still be required to pay €12 for the student travelcard to use intercity or commuter rail outside of the short hop zone and if that is the case then this student leap card is even less value than you seem to think. my understanding on why it cost €12 instead of the normal €5 was because it was a personalised card with the photo of the holder emblazoned on the front.

I'm loathe to correct you on such stuff Foggy,but in the absence of any form of clarity from the various well funded agencies I'll give you my take on it..?

If the Student purchases a Student Leapcard then THAT becomes their dei-facto Student Travelcard for all other Student Reductions.IE: NO requirement to possess a second STC for Mainline Rail/Provincial Bus.

However a non-Dublin focused Student opting to remain with the old STC will continue to purchase the BAC/DART/Luas pre-paid Student range as normal.

Remember the €5 is a useable DEPOSIT,not a charge,as the Leapcard is effectively FREE to obtain.

It's a mess for sure,but it's what we have.

The gen on personalized Leapcards is here,in section 9.

https://www.leapcard.ie/PageSetting/ContentViewer.aspx?Val=CG%2fCj953WkPB%2b7fwjkLFshsyP7wecX6fiV0VBn3Q632F20yhboVXGTVmv%2b2bImvcFvyDWv8wk%2bd4E5kAGPCvjpJvBUgOhvVEg%2fB6ZgVyLiI6nLqx13jMpsQIKgDUASmGM793kdSI9FJOtf2oYKBBrP3uRbgVAG0ZGo31awr2Vmg%3d
    9.1 Personalised Leap Cards have the Leap Card customer’s name and photograph printed on them. The following types of Leap Card must be personalised:

(a) Student Leap Cards (when introduced);

(b) Scholar Leap Cards (when introduced);

(c) Child Leap Cards 12-15; and

(d) Leap Cards containing certain Tickets (for example annual and monthly passes) which can only be applied to a Personalised Leap Card in accordance with the rules of the relevant Transport Operator.

The most important words being..."when introduced"....:rolleyes:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Encouraging to see Swords Express will be trialing the card in the coming months.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I noticed "manage auto top-up" is now on the list of 'My leap cards'

Clicking it brings up "Auto top-up is not currently enabled. Please try again later"

Could be testing on a set of accounts that have been activated for live web use.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hoff1

what exactly is a stage ie Stages 8 – 13 Stages 4 – 7 etc

hoff1 wrote: »

Possibly the best way of proving the point in this debate is for Hoff1 to drop into Dublin Bus Head-Office with the information clutched in hand...

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Ti...e-Information/

Then,very politely ask if,somebody from the Office,could come along and point out,on the street,the ACTUAL Stage-Points to which the Timetable and asociated Company literature refers.

THAT approach alone,would be an interesting exercise ....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

The fare calculator is incoming. Thankfully it'll end this drivel.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Stevek101 wrote: »
    The fare calculator is incoming. Thankfully it'll end this drivel.

I'm surprised it simply isn't part of the new journey planner, it really should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Can someone let me know if I actually heard this or it's something I dreamt up? Are there plans for people with free public transport (OAPs) etc. to get free leap cards so it will be easier to track usage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

hoff1 wrote: »

The defunct stages on the long-gone electric tramway network which used to extensively cover Dublin, isn't it obvious? Definitely the most logical way to calculate fares.

• Advertisement

Can someone let me know if I actually heard this or it's something I dreamt up? Are there plans for people with free public transport (OAPs) etc. to get free leap cards so it will be easier to track usage?

The are therapies available LeinsterDub which will cure you.... :)

Currently the DSP are embroiled in the process (Lengthy as always) to issue a new DSP Services Card to ALL of it's "Customers".

This new card will carry ALL of the relevant information securely embedded within its chip.

The plan apparently is for those who have a Free Travel entitlement (ALL 726,000 of them !) to have a small FT identifer on the top left of the card and the relevant information encoded on the chip.

Whether this will entail the DSP Pass Holder actually validating the Pass on each journey (As the Northern Irish Senior SmartPass holders do) is unclear.

The decision by the DSP to issue a seperate card to it's "Customers" came somewhat late in the day,as there was,I understand,a hope that they would buy into Leapcard as the preferred method of facilitating their Free Travel Scheme members.

However,the DSP's mandarins seemingly found some flaw with the notion of a Travel Specific Smartcard and so the issue was further delayed and not a little complicated.....but hey-ho there ye go,another IRISH solution to an IRISH problem...:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement