Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Chin up girls and boys.
    Ye are in the A side of the draw.

A QF v Dublin or Kerry is still possible if ye really want it.

Yes - as we are trying to get over yesterday we can at least take comfort in that. A win in the easy side of the draw might help get the team into a better mindset, to take on bigger challenges.
    It has been a long season for the younger players with Sigerson, Under 21 and a tough league campaign. With the London performance people in Roscommon were getting very nervous - a lot of the over-hyping was from outside the county in the National media. This constant calling us a Div 1 side is stupid - we won a very tight Div2, that's all.
    A few crucial injuries, two missed goals and a few other things went against us yesterday but overall in almost all positions Sligo looked hungrier, better prepared, quicker to every ball. Some of the decisions on the sideline were poor - leaving Senan on so long was crazy. Connolly had a brilliant league final but by the time he came on it was tough to get into the game.
    Maybe Megadodge is reacting to your comments on another thread not this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭naughto

Was there any work done on the Hyde so it could take the Connacht final ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

wow sierra wrote: »
    Yes - as we are trying to get over yesterday we can at least take comfort in that. A win in the easy side of the draw might help get the team into a better mindset, to take on bigger challenges.
    It has been a long season for the younger players with Sigerson, Under 21 and a tough league campaign. With the London performance people in Roscommon were getting very nervous - a lot of the over-hyping was from outside the county in the National media. This constant calling us a Div 1 side is stupid - we won a very tight Div2, that's all.
    A few crucial injuries, two missed goals and a few other things went against us yesterday but overall in almost all positions Sligo looked hungrier, better prepared, quicker to every ball. Some of the decisions on the sideline were poor - leaving Senan on so long was crazy. Connolly had a brilliant league final but by the time he came on it was tough to get into the game.
    Maybe Megadodge is reacting to your comments on another thread not this one.
    The blame for the overhyping lies squarely at the feet of John Evans. Of course the media are going to report on a manager from a div 2 team roaring like an ass about winning All Ireland's in 3 years and eating at the top table.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

For those of you getting wound up by my comments earlier, on the Mayo thread only a few days ago the same Fr. Tod Umptious who pops up here straight after the Sligo match posted the following
    The Roscommon crowd are the biggest shower of tools around.

Kind of hard to take his comment on 'keeping our chins up' as genuine having seen that crap!

And I know what I've experienced at numerous matches against Mayo in the last 10 years or so. It's not an opinion, it's fact. I've never experienced that kind of gloating from Galways supporters, who whould have beaten us just as often as Mayo. It's something that numerous football people I know have commented on and it's extremely disappointing to see, as for years I always regarded the Mayo supporters as the crowd you could have the best craic with and they'd always stay around town after a big match, etc. That's definitely not the way it is now.

And obviously that doesn't apply to ALL Mayo supporters, but there seems to be more of the classless types now than ever before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Barlett

megadodge wrote: »
    For those of you getting wound up by my comments earlier, on the Mayo thread only a few days ago the same Fr. Tod Umptious who pops up here straight after the Sligo match posted the following

Kind of hard to take his comment on 'keeping our chins up' as genuine having seen that crap!

And I know what I've experienced at numerous matches against Mayo in the last 10 years or so. It's not an opinion, it's fact. I've never experienced that kind of gloating from Galways supporters, who whould have beaten us just as often as Mayo. It's something that numerous football people I know have commented on and it's extremely disappointing to see, as for years I always regarded the Mayo supporters as the crowd you could have the best craic with and they'd always stay around town after a big match, etc. That's definitely not the way it is now.

And obviously that doesn't apply to ALL Mayo supporters, but there seems to be more of the classless types now than ever before.

True but then I hear plenty people say the same about Roscommon supporters. I think it's fair to say neither set of supporters can afford to be too arrogant about their team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I think that you'll find that the vast majority of supporters in every county are sound out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Haha have to laugh. What rubbish was John Evans talking about..Beat a poor Down team in Div 2. All the talk of winning All Irelands has clearly not worked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

closeline wrote: »
    Haha have to laugh. What rubbish was John Evans talking about..Beat a poor Down team in Div 2. All the talk of winning All Irelands has clearly not worked out.

I heard a snippet of his post-match interview earlier on the radio.
    When asked if he had learned anything from the game, he said they learned that championship football is totally different to league....

I would have thought he might have already been aware of that little nugget of information!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I heard a snippet of his post-match interview earlier on the radio.
    When asked if he had learned anything from the game, he said they learned that championship football is totally different to league....

I would have thought he might have already been aware of that little nugget of information!

His after match interview was very condescending. At one stage he described the match as "Sligo's All Ireland" before listing out a number of inaccurate calls in his opinion and a list of injuries before saying he wanted to take nothing away from Sligo!

No one expects people to be good losers but I was cringing listening to it and I have no link to either county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭blowitupref

closeline wrote: »
    In fairness i think the media took John Evans comments out of context at the time. No harm talking big even Longford,Tipp have done that. From what i recall the key point of what he said was if they stayed in division one for a few years and on that display yesterday it looks like a bigger if now.

Unless Roscommon have a decent run in the qualifiers this summer its hard to see Evans and co staying on for another year. He and the rest of his management team has done well has in league promoting Roscommon from mid table Div 3 to Div 1 but for all the talent Roscommon have been producing over the last number of years they have been seriously under achieving in the championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

can we get the galways in the next round

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

can we get the galways in the next round

No they are in the B side, you can never meet them in the qualifiers.

You will get one of Cavan, Longford, Antrim or Offaly.

On the Evans post match interview etc.

He got a lot of credit originally for what he did in Tipp but it seems that a lot of their achievements have been since credited to others rather than him.

There were a few posts about it here a few years back, I'll try and find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

No they are in the B side, you can never meet them in the qualifiers.

You will get one of Cavan, Longford, Antrim or Offaly.

Thanks, id be happy with any of those

As I said the A side is weak.
    Win your next game and then you could play one of the above or Clare, Fermanagh, or (likely) Kildare or (unlikely) Dublin
    Win that and you play loser of Munster or Leinster, win that and you play winner of Munster or Leinster

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Soyokakano

If I were a Rosscommon supporter. I wouldn't get too down about yesterday. I mean they played a terrible game and lost in an upset. But they are still in the Championship and they can use this as motivation going forward.

The Provincial championship is dead concept anyway, Leinster is complete joke, there's only one team.

Mayo have one the last 4 years in Connacht, soon to be 5

A two horse race every year in Munster.

I mean the GAA really need to review the format and come up with something that works for all 34 teams

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Get either Cavan, Antrim or Longford (away) and you're still very much in banana skin territory.

In fairness though, Roscommon have had little or no luck in qualifier draws so you must be due an easy couple of matches by now..

I think it's only fair that you put his quote into context. His post was in reply to the posting (since exposed as fraudulent) of a statement from the Roscommon GAA Facebook page after the Mayo vs Galway game. The fake post said that they'd be playing Mayo in the Connacht final and seemed to disregard Sligo completely. It was a very clever deception and like most great satire had an element of truth to it. The post was a reply to a very provocative statement that turned out to be false.

Rawhead wrote: »
    I think it's only fair that you put his quote into context. His post was in reply to the posting (since exposed as fraudulent) of a statement from the Roscommon GAA Facebook page after the Mayo vs Galway game. The fake post said that they'd be playing Mayo in the Connacht final and seemed to disregard Sligo completely. It was a very clever deception and like most great satire had an element of truth to it. The post was a reply to a very provocative statement that turned out to be false.

Well, considering the "very provocative" statement was proven to be false within a half an hour of the remark, why didn't he withdraw said remark?

The answer is obvious.

And I still stand by my comments on the behaviour of certain sections of Mayo supporters in the last decade or so. I've experienced it first hand from them AND NO OTHER COUNTY and it's just classless.

Well, considering the "very provocative" statement was proven to be false within a half an hour of the remark, why didn't he withdraw said remark?

The answer is obvious.

And I still stand by my comments on the behaviour of certain sections of Mayo supporters in the last decade or so. I've experienced it first hand from them AND NO OTHER COUNTY and it's just classless.

The underdogs won yesterday and everyone is delighted, as they always are when an underdog wins. Indeed there are Mayo supporters who have jumped on the bandwagon recently who are gob****es and I've heard stuff said by my own countymen at matches that has made me cringe, but show me a supporter who hasn't.
    However, the most bile and genuine relish in Mayo's many All Ireland loses has come from Roscommon people I work with and know. There was more Donegal jerseys around Ballaghdreen after the 2012 final than there was in Lettterkenny. What kind of bitterness must a person have to spend €70 on a jersey that you'll only wear the once just to upset your neighbour.
    I have never even heard of anything similar on the border with Galway or Sligo. I know you keep saying it's everyone's fault but yours, however, go through every other county thread on the site and you won't see what you see on this one.
    Maybe ask yourself why that is?

• Advertisement

The answer is obvious.

Yes you are correct.

<SNIP> Roscommon thread is not the place for comments like that.

And for the record I don't give a damn about what you or anyone else thinks of me or Mayo fans in general.

Rawhead wrote: »
    The underdogs won yesterday and everyone is delighted, as they always are when an underdog wins. Indeed there are Mayo supporters who have jumped on the bandwagon recently who are gob****es and I've heard stuff said by my own countymen at matches that has made me cringe, but show me a supporter who hasn't.
    However, the most bile and genuine relish in Mayo's many All Ireland loses has come from Roscommon people I work with and know. There was more Donegal jerseys around Ballaghdreen after the 2012 final than there was in Lettterkenny. What kind of bitterness must a person have to spend €70 on a jersey that you'll only wear the once just to upset your neighbour.
    I have never even heard of anything similar on the border with Galway or Sligo. I know you keep saying it's everyone's fault but yours, however, go through every other county thread on the site and you won't see what you see on this one.
    Maybe ask yourself why that is?

In all fairness the whole Ballaghadereen thing is like a totally separate warzone. That's not 'normal' Roscommon/Mayo. There was a stage 10-15 years ago when a local judge hit a few youngsters with very harsh sentences, so pissed off was he with the constant rows caused by the whole Mayo/Ros split in the town. Neither side was innocent.

And I certainly agree with you on the buying of Donegal jersies. No excuses.

As for the highlighted bit, I genuinely don't know what you're talking about.

Yes you are correct.

<SNIP>

And for the record I don't give a damn about what you or anyone else thinks of me or Mayo fans in general.

I rest my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭naughto

I rest my case.

Sure the back door is open you have plenty of time to rest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

The answer is obvious.

Realistically Mayo is the only county you play on a regular basis that have a significant sized support, more supporters means more idiots but it also means more sound supporters as well. You're never going to encounter the same level of anything with Galway as their support base in the last 10 years has been a fraction of the size of Mayo's.

For me, the experience I had in the Hyde in 2001 forms a lot of how I feel about Roscommon GAA. I have never been treated in any GAA ground in the manner that I and other Mayo followers were by a significant section of the Roscommon supporters that day, it was shocking stuff. I know that, for me and many other Mayo supporters, it was a watershed day in terms of the rivalry between the two counties. However, I'm sure others may see it all differently based on their own personal experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

For me, the experience I had in the Hyde in 2001 forms a lot of how I feel about Roscommon GAA. I have never been treated in any GAA ground in the manner that I and other Mayo followers were by a significant section of the Roscommon supporters that day, it was shocking stuff. I know that, for me and many other Mayo supporters, it was a watershed day in terms of the rivalry between the two counties. However, I'm sure others may see it all differently based on their own personal experiences.

I think it was just the case with Roscommon at the time around the turn of the century that they had a hell of a lot of 'wasters' around the county, of late teens and twenties age. These lads had nothing better to do except do laps of Ballagh in crap zuped up fiesta's and drink and argue about GAA. I remember in 2001 the AI QF in Castlebar, I was a pre-teen living in Ros at the time so wouldve came to the game from the Ros side, spending the weekend in my Galway jersey. The vitirol I received as a child (albiet a cheeky one post 98) was astounding. I remember the oul fella losing the plot with a a few 20 somethings when one of them tripped me on the way into a petrol station in Charlestown. A lot of us do have bad memories of Ros fans from that era and that has shaped our expectation today.

However, it's a bit unfair nowadays. The idiot bandwagoners have grown up and haven't been replaced, probably due to the young people generally moving elsewhere, and the lack of success recently. Any Roscommon fans ive encountered recently have been spot on, even had a few pints with a crowd of them after the game in Salthill in 07 I think. I was at the game against Cork in the QF , and again, Roscommon fans seemed grand that day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

As I said the A side is weak.
    Win your next game and then you could play one of the above or Clare, Fermanagh, or (likely) Kildare or (unlikely) Dublin
    Win that and you play loser of Munster or Leinster, win that and you play winner of Munster or Leinster
    Roscommon have just lost to a supposedly weak Sligo. I remember a similar discussion with Mayo supporters when losing to Sligo in 2010 it was case of bouncing straight back no bother and Longford away mid table div 4 team at the time was a good draw.

I see similarities with Roscommon now, losing a Connacht game you were expected to win is never easy to recover regardless of the opposition in qualifiers and like Mayo in 2010 who were also off the back of a good league campaign i think management for whatever reason couldn't get the best out of the players come championship time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

You can't be certain about any side coming off a provincial loss into the qualifiers. There's been far to many turn ups in recent years. I'm almost hoping Galway get Tyrone, they'll either win and kickstart a run or the agony will be swiftly over. I cant deal with another loss to the likes of Louth. Roscommon will certaily be favs against those (bar cavan be 50/50), and it'll be a massive banana skin

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

Another trip to Breffni for yas lads.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Soyokakano

Jampip wrote: »
    Another trip to Breffni for yas lads.

They should beat Cavan. Then again thats what everyone said about Sligo. And Cavan are not going to let Roscommon just come into their back yard and get away lightly

Advertisement