Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I tried two Sierra Nevadas tonight, that I'd never picked up before. Summerfest is a great lager, I'll remember them if we get any nice weather again. Bigfoot Ale... that one's not for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

tyler71 wrote: »
    Just finished a bottle of Liefmans Goudenband and I'm pretty much blown away. Have been keen to try a few sour beers for a good while but couldn't get them down in Cork so I ordered a bunch of lambics from thebeerclub.ie and they snuck in a bottle of this gratis. Was unimpressed by the fruit lambics and found Gueze a bit too intense, but this was just perfect, a great blend of different tastes. I'm pretty sure there's some guys from the beer club on here, so big thanks for the excellent recommendation!

That beer is a really great introduction to the world of sour beers - a sweet and sour beauty:D
    BeerNut wrote: »
    It's a shame we don't get plain Rodenbach here. It's another nicely balanced medium-sour beer.

We get it in Cork, boy!
    Cheap as chips in The Abbot's so it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Anybody know if anywhere in Ireland has anything from Bear Republic Brewing Co?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Having a Lakrids Liquorice stout right now. Really liking this, nice stout, just a little too sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

This past weekend I had:

Black's Kinsale Pale Ale: very good, definitely will have again

Shepherd Neame IPA: ok, but the strong aftertaste put me off

Crew IPA: Not bad, preferred the Kinsale though, tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

I was delighted to see that Superquinn in Swords have a couple of the Widmer beers. Its a bit pricey at 2.60eur a bottle but when I lived in Portland Oregon I used to live on the stuff. Say what you like about how crap American "domestic" beer is but the micro brews from the Pacific North West are fantastic.

I personally recommend the Hefewiezen but the IPA is great as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Was in The Living Room on Cathal Brugha St last night for the football, pleasantly surprised to see Punk on tap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Anybody know if anywhere in Ireland has anything from Bear Republic Brewing Co?

Have never seen it here. Would love a few bottles of Racer 5!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

The Living Room's the last place I'd expect Punk IPA. Good sign of the times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Seaneh wrote: »
    Pick me up a bottle of Consecration? I'll reward you suitably?

I think I'd just drink it on the flight home!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Ive been calling into sweetmans more and more, their porter and pale ale are great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lovely beer from The Abbot's and The Bierhaus the last few days.
    Hurricane, Cyclone, Metalman PA, Jaipur, Hommelbier all on draught.
    Gonna have an Odell's IPA with my dinner:D

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

It's been far too long since I've had a few drinks in the Abbot's and the Bierhaus. Have the two 8 Degrees in the fridge though, can't wait to crack them open.

adamski8 wrote: »
    Ive been calling into sweetmans more and more, their porter and pale ale are great!
    Yep, went in yesterday but they had no Porter on, so had a Pale Ale, really nice stuff.

at 4 quid a pop it's the best beer in Dublin imo.

Yep, went in yesterday but they had no Porter on, so had a Pale Ale, really nice stuff.

at 4 quid a pop it's the best beer in Dublin imo.

The pale ale is really fantastic

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

they had no Porter on
    That sound was my world falling away. There'd better be more.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Is Sweetman's the place that took over from Messr's?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Their porter is indeed good. The pale ale is solid as well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I have to go to Dublin on Friday to do stupid College registration crap, looks like I'll be popping into sweetmans for a pint of their porter and some noms before getting the train home.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Their porter is indeed good. The pale ale is solid as well.

Do you have to drink it with a knife and fork? :P

BeerNut wrote: »
    That sound was my world falling away. There'd better be more.

Was told it was being brewed, so rest easy.

@Seaneh - there might not be any Porter there on Friday, but pop in anyway, their other beers are decent too.

One thing about the Weiss and Dunkelweiss though, they are quite deep into the "banana" territory, still at the acceptable level, but a bit too sweet to be drinking more than one or two.

Had the Sly Fox 113 IPA last night, very nice beer. Their Phoenix was great too, got both cans from Drinkstore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Had the Sly Fox 113 IPA last night, very nice beer. Their Phoenix was great too, got both cans from Drinkstore.

Yeah I was pleasantly surprised even though the lads in Drinkstore said it was very good.
    I didnt get any Phoenix was that an IPA also?

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Yeah I was pleasantly surprised even though the lads in Drinkstore said it was very good.
    I didnt get any Phoenix was that an IPA also?

I got them as an afterthought when I was ordering Hoptimum, so I was very pleasantly surprised with both of them. Phoenix is just a Pale Ale, but plenty hoppy too, and well balanced. Both very good, I reckon I'll get the rest of the range with my next order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Quite liked the Sly Fox 113. The lads in Drinkstore were raving about it to me as well.

Hopefully Bradley's will start getting it in.. I must ask them actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

Had the two new Eight Degrees IPAs last night - would rather the 'Hurricane', but 'Cyclone' is good as well. Just opening a bottle of Donegal Blonde now - not overly pushed on it but could drink a couple of bottles of it all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

Hopside Down India Style Pale Lager
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/8/91718

Oh, soooo nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

All Irish craft and stouts (Beamish!) for the past couple of, and next few days, leaving the country next week so I won't see stout for months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just picked myself up 12 cans each of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale & Punk for the Picnic! :)

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Just picked myself up 12 cans each of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale & Punk for the Picnic! :)

Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

Tried the two new 8 Degrees IPA's. Both pretty good. I think I prefer the Cyclone.

But I expected more of a punch from both considering the increase in ABV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

033_zps7133dfff.jpg

9.99 a bottle and 8.1% but tasty as hell , the whiskey really comes through .

Have a bottle each of Dungarvan "Comeragh Challenger Bitter" and something called "Black Sheep Ale" to try too

Owryan wrote: »

Have a bottle each of Dungarvan "Comeragh Challenger Bitter"

I found this overwhelmingly yeasty when I tried it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Gay4Doblenz

TSB on Cask from the Bierhaus in Cork is just 2 quid at the moment.

do "all good off licences" have that O'Hara's whiskey ages LF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

do "all good off licences" have that O'Hara's whiskey ages LF?

I ve only seen it in obriens, on Carlow. None of the other off licences had it. Saying that when I asked oharas about it they tweeted back that they were surprised at the demand and had a bit of bother filling orders.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Wednesday night I have a few beers in Salt House, usual go-to's like Jaipur, 5am Saint, Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere Harvest and finished with a Porterhouse Louder, which I really liked, only €5.50 for a bottle and the stuff is 11%, not a bad deal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Wednesday night I have a few beers in Salt House, usual go-to's like Jaipur, 5am Saint, Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere Harvest and finished with a Porterhouse Louder, which I really liked, only €5.50 for a bottle and the stuff is 11%, not a bad deal!

I really like louder. Only thing that annoyed me when I had it the first time was that they had it down as an ipa, so I was a tad disappointed to get no hops. :(

It's great though. I wonder whose will be nicer. O haras or porterhouse?

• Advertisement

Porterhouse Louder is bottled?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

drumswan wrote: »
    Porterhouse Louder is bottled?
    Yes, available at least in Drinkstore and Redmonds in Dublin

Anyone know if Redmonds have the new 8 Degrees beers, Hurricane & Cyclone in?

If only there was some way they could let their customers know about new products.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

drumswan wrote: »
    Anyone know if Redmonds have the new 8 Degrees beers, Hurricane & Cyclone in?

If only there was some way they could let their customers know about new products.
    They do, saw them on the shelf yesterday!

Thanks again

Innis & Gunn Toasted oak IPA well the bottle says its zesty but I didn't think it was so much.

You can tell its an Innis & Gunn beer with that sweet woody smell has strong smoked wood taste also.

Finishes off slightly bitter but doesn't last too long.

Not bad from them would drink it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Dark Art Porter, very nice

Bought it in Lilac Wines in Marino, for some reason they knocked 20% off the price of my few bottles. Wasn't complaining

Think they're moving so that might be it

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

o haras Irish red ale very nice it is too. Friday night with no love hate so can focus myself fully on the lovely beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Having 8 Degrees Hurricane and Cyclone tonight. Prefer the hurricane, as I find it a more refreshing beer.

Both still nice and it's nice to see more Irish breweries coming out with good IPAs. They are a bit lighter in hops than I expected but still hopyy and worth a try.

• Advertisement

The Hurricane is fantastic

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement