Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need for Speed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

That looks shit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

If anything it'll be a change from Fast and Furious and havin to look at Paul Walkers silly surfer head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Looks pretty dire all right. Take away the BB/Aaron Paul angle and this wouldn't be getting an iota of the attention it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

When will Hollywood learn that video games and films do not mix?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Daemos wrote: »
    When will Hollywood learn that video games and films do not mix?

Ah now, Silent Hill was a great adaptation of the game! Not for the masses, but still a great adaptation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭chucksandstorm

looks awful. Not a great start to his post Breaking Bad career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Wtf is that all about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,991 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Wtf is that all about?
    the requirement for rapidity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Usually you can enjoy a movie like that just for the cars but knowing that they aren't even using the real cars but basically micra's in body kits........kind of kills it for me.

Ignorance is bliss.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's the nasty cgi cars that I think suck donkey balls in the trailer, same mistake the latter Transporter movies made, not to mention that glob awful Cruise/Diaz film a couple of years ago, same crap, cgi cars exploding all over the place, convincing no one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's the nasty cgi cars that I think suck donkey balls in the trailer, same mistake the latter Transporter movies made, not to mention that glob awful Cruise/Diaz film a couple of years ago, same crap, cgi cars exploding all over the place, convincing no one.

The worst one is where they speed up footage to make it look like the cars are going faster than they actually are. The later Transporters were truly awful for this. It looks terrible and fools nobody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Looks pretty dire all right. Take away the BB/Aaron Paul angle and this wouldn't be getting an iota of the attention it is.
    Too true.
    I'm starting to see a trend here.
    What was the terrible looking film that came out recently and has a minor part by Bryan Cranston?

*Edit; here it is; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2511428/?ref_=sr_1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Too true.
    I'm starting to see a trend here.
    What was the terrible looking film that came out recently and has a minor part by Bryan Cranston?

*Edit; here it is; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2511428/?ref_=sr_1

Minor part? From the way I heard it being discussed on the radio I thought he was the lead.

When the trailer played in the cinema at the weekend quite a few people were asking why the hell would Aaron Paul sign up for something like this. They must have came up with a dozen reason yet they missed the most obvious one....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

When the trailer played in the cinema at the weekend quite a few people were asking why the hell would Aaron Paul sign up for something like this. They must have came up with a dozen reason yet they missed the most obvious one....

I'd agree money was probably a factor all right, but surely he would have been inundated with scripts, yet this is what he chooses as his big mainstream break through?? Who's advising him?

Hopefully he hasn't got a case of thinking his sh!t don't stank, cause he can only dine out on Breaking Bad for so long. Really good actor, and hopefully he makes the cross over, but he's doing himself no favours headlining in mickey like this.

I'd agree money was probably a factor all right, but surely he would have been inundated with scripts, yet this is what he chooses as his big mainstream break through?? Who's advising him?

Hopefully he hasn't got a case of thinking his sh!t don't stank, cause he can only dine out on Breaking Bad for so long. Really good actor, and hopefully he makes the cross over, but he's doing himself no favours headlining in mickey like this.

To be fair this could actually turn out to be pretty decent and Paul has done a few interesting low budget films and has a few in the pipeline. Like most actors, you gotta take the glossy big budget films to help make the smaller ones. Or maybe like Brendan Fraser he just wants to make big blockbuster's and sees smaller independent films as a way to kill time between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Who hasn't been in a terrible film??? Even films considered by some to be masterpieces are pure tripe to others (I'm looking at you Donnie Darko).

This will be along the same vein as TF&TF, leave your brain at the door entertainment. And maybe Aaron Paul wanted to do something completely different to BB, and this was the first oppertunity he got to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,991 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

he did Smashed a smaller film which got good reviews and he's in ridley scotts next film, if you going to do a big fumb film for money, do a big dumb film for money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,035 ✭✭✭✭Basq

To be fair to Aaron Paul.. he's already filmed a starring role in a film adaptation of a much-loved Nick Hornby book (A Long Way Down) before taking on "Requirement For Rapidity" (kudos expectationlost.. prefer that name!) so nothing wrong in taking on a dumb action movie after that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Basq wrote: »
    To be fair to Aaron Paul.. he's already filmed a starring role in a film adaptation of a much-loved Nick Hornby book (A Long Way Down) before taking on "Requirement For Rapidity" (kudos expectationlost.. prefer that name!) so nothing wrong in taking on a dumb action movie after that.

As Ari Gold used to say, do one for the studio, then do one for you. It's the perfect balance of keeping yourself in the public eye, keeping the studios happy and fullfilling your artistic needs as an actor. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I... What... I don't even...

Otacon wrote: »

I... What... I don't even...

Looks like decent enough, easy to watch Friday night trash.

I'm treating Need for Speed the film as a sequel to Breaking Bad. After the events of the Breaking Bad, Jesse decided to get out of the meth game and into high end street racing. Sadly like everything that Jesse gets involved in, things go tits up pretty quickly and he finds himself in prison.

Now two years later, he's out of prison and taking revenge on Uday Hussein's double as a now bankrupt Bruce Wayne acts out his love of the DJ in Vanishing Point.

Looks like decent enough, easy to watch Friday night trash.

It isn't.

Just back from a 'fan screening' in Leicester Square. It is one of the worst written movies I have seen in years. The dialogue is awful and the plot utterly predictable - which is odd as it simultaneously makes little sense.

The car action is admittedly superb but cannot make up for the rest of this mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

I think he was on Top Gear tonite, as he was on Graham Norton on Fri nite.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Nero707

It just looks super meh to me, trying to cash in on the game series and BB's popularity. I think it's probably just going to end up as a poor man's The Fast and The Furious

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,734 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

They're missing a beat if the film doesn't contain the following lines of dialogue:

I've got a need.
    [Puts on racing glove]
    A need for speed.

Nero707 wrote: »
    It just looks super meh to me, trying to cash in on the game series and BB's popularity. I think it's probably just going to end up as a poor man's The Fast and The Furious

I really don't see how it's cashing in on Breaking Bad beyond starring Aaron Paul. It's like saying that the film is trying to cash in on the recent Batman craze given the presence if Michael Keaton or that's it's cashing in on hip hops wide appeal because Kid Cudi is in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

They're missing a beat if the film doesn't contain the following lines of dialogue:

I've got a need.
    [Puts on racing glove]
    A need for speed.
    Reminds me of:
    It+is+certainly+necessary.+Fast+and+Furious+6+original+script_adb729_4609084.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Doge

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Its funny you mentioned cgi cars, as Aaron said on top gear tonight that they did not use cgi effects and actually destroyed $300,000 kit cars that looked like the real deal.
    It isn't.

Just back from a 'fan screening' in Leicester Square. It is one of the worst written movies I have seen in years. The dialogue is awful and the plot utterly predictable - which is odd as it simultaneously makes little sense.

The car action is admittedly superb but cannot make up for the rest of this mess.

Seen as you saw the film, do you reckon there was much cgi effects used?

• Advertisement

waveform wrote: »
    Seen as you saw the film, do you reckon there was much cgi effects used?

I didn't see any. Now they may have used CGI to get rid of wires or other things you are not meant to see but I honestly didn't notice anything.

The car action and races were the best thing about the movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Am I the only one who dislikes Aaron Paul as an actor? His role suited him great in Breaking Bad, but I could never really warm to him. he seems like the guy who might only be good to play smart ass characters.

Corholio wrote: »
    Am I the only one who dislikes Aaron Paul as an actor? His role suited him great in Breaking Bad, but I could never really warm to him. he seems like the guy who might only be good to play smart ass characters.

I disagree as he isn't playing a smart ass in Breaking Bad 100% of the time.
    Have you seen the numerous scenes where Jesse has an emotional break down?

Powerful shi*.

If he can nail emotional scenes like that he can nail other roles just fine.

Also most people including myself have not seen him play other roles yet, so the least we could do is give him a chance. And I mean besides Need For Speed, its about cars and racing, not Oscar winning performances. :p

Actually speaking of preconceptions,
    I had a big one about Bryan Cranston when I first heard about his role in BB.

I thought he could only play a role like Hal from Malcolm in the Middle,
    And boy did he turn that flat on it's head when I saw him play Walter White!

To be honest, none of the actors are good in this, but that is mostly down to a woeful script.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,543 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think he was on Top Gear tonite, as he was on Graham Norton on Fri nite.

Aaron comes across very cool and likeable in his interviews

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Actually speaking of preconceptions,
    I had a big one about Bryan Cranston when I first heard about his role in BB.

I thought he could only play a role like Hal from Malcolm in the Middle,
    And boy did he turn that flat on it's head when I saw him play Walter White!

It wasn't a preconception, I genuinely don't think he's a great actor. He was good in Breaking Bad, but definitely not in the Cranston mould where I'd be pretty confident of enjoying whatever role he is in.

If Paul goes on to do great things fair enough, I'm just not a big fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I didn't see any. Now they may have used CGI to get rid of wires or other things you are not meant to see but I honestly didn't notice anything.

The car action and races were the best thing about the movie.

Well according to his Tope Gear interview he said there was no CG used in the film.

Also, in another interview with him in the Times last week, he basically said that he did do this for money/exposure, as critical acclaim doesn't always pay the bills. But he also said that it would not be as bad as people think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I heard an interview with Bryan Cranston where he said that all his money was made from Malcolm and the Middle, not Breaking Bad. Shows like Malcolm in the Middle can just be shown endlessly for years on re-runs, so you're always making money from it every time it's shown on television, which could be constantly in many different countries. That's how people like Larry David have made their millions with shows like Seinfeld. You can't do that with something like Breaking Bad. Shows like that need to be seen from start to finish in order to make sense, so you can't just show a random episode every evening on some random channel. Therefore the earning value from shows like that aren't great once the show stops airing.

Money needs to be made somewhere, I guess. And doing something like that will keep him in people's minds after Breaking Bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

With Metacritic on 39% and RT on 23%, I really was expecting the worst.

I'll say this - I haven't disagreed so much with reviews and general sentiment about a movie for a long time.

I .... REALLY .... ENJOYED ... IT.

There. I said it. Sorry.

Leave your brain at the door, get a popcorn and coke and just enjoy it for what it is - a dumb action movie that's entertaining and great fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

I never really warmed to him in Breaking Bad either. I think he was a bit too self-pitying. However, I thought he was pretty good in the fairly obscure Smashed.
    I heard an interview with Bryan Cranston where he said that all his money was made from Malcolm and the Middle, not Breaking Bad. Shows like Malcolm in the Middle can just be shown endlessly for years on re-runs, so you're always making money from it every time it's shown on television, which could be constantly in many different countries. That's how people like Larry David have made their millions with shows like Seinfeld. You can't do that with something like Breaking Bad. Shows like that need to be seen from start to finish in order to make sense, so you can't just show a random episode every evening on some random channel. Therefore the earning value from shows like that aren't great once the show stops airing.

Money needs to be made somewhere, I guess. And doing something like that will keep him in people's minds after Breaking Bad.
    That's why the last writer's strike in Hollywood was about DVD residuals - the studios were trying to weasel their way out of paying writers and actors the little percentage they get from that revenue stream. And you can imagine how that would be much more important that residuals from reruns for a show like Breaking Bad.
    Mr E wrote: »
    I .... REALLY .... ENJOYED ... IT.
    Fair enough. I'm curious: it looks like a Fast & Furious franchise clone to me. Is it, or is it its own movie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Cut from the same cloth as the first 3 F&F movies (when it was all about the cars and racing).

mikhail wrote: »
    I never really warmed to him in Breaking Bad either. I think he was a bit too self-pitying.

Isn't this really an issue with the character and not the actor himself though?

I think the fact some people think he was too much of a smart ass to be liked, just re-enforces how good an actor he is.

People hated Skyler in Breaking Bad, which again was due to great acting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭sw33t_r3v3ng3

i loved fast and furious, the only thing was that the special effects were shi*. The scenes of cars crashing were the most unrealistic movie scenes ive ever seen

Isn't this really an issue with the character and not the actor himself though?
    Tell that to a Shakespearean actor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 Hunter of Invisible Game

Nope, you are not the only one, but then, I didn't even like him in BB either tbh.

As for this junk, I hated it.

He went to prison for what seemed like three seconds, at most.

Also,the black character in it actually says: "Word" at one point.

Ah man. Films don't get much worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Lads go handy to **** with the spoilers like

Lads go handy to **** with the spoilers like
    The prison bit is essentially set-up. You'd probably mention it in a one-line summary of what the film's about.

Granted, he should never have mentioned the black guy saying, "Word". That's totally ruined for me now.

Watched this last night, at various points in the movie I was wondering is this actually the story for real? Even more so then Fast and the Spurious this has taken the bar down to levels so low James Cameron really has his work cut out now.
    Saying that the car action was outstanding, was nice to watching some stunts that were actually real and not drawn by a guy in front of a computer. Possibly worth watching for this, subject to having a large popcorn beside you.

Saw this yesterday and thought that it was great for what it is. It's a big dumb action film that's little more than a series of set pieces strung together by a story do flimsy that a light breeze would tear it apart.

Going in I expected 2 hours of good looking trash and got that and more. Visually the film is gorgeous with some of the most incredible looking car chases in cinema. The lack if CGInis refreshing and there's something quite please t about seeing expensive cars being destroyed for our pleasure. Those talking about the cheap looking CGI during the set pieces are talking utter nonsense, yes there's some CGI but this is a film that relishes in just having the cast go for it. There's one fantastic show where Aaron Paul comes to a stop free from the camera and after reading up in it there was no CGI involved. Just Paul racing toward the camera and slamming on the breaks. The director was operating the camera and the fail safe if fine thing went wrong was to have a person behind him holding his belt. If things webt wring he was pull Waugh out from in front of the car.

The story here is, well it's thin. There's a very basic narrative here and if the series is to continue they need to take a leaf out of the Fast and the Furious series. Really couldn't see myself watching a sequel if it was just another race across the country. Still the lack of a developed plot won't affect your enjoyment. Just treat is as a modern remake of Vanishing Point and go with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I went to see this on Saturday mostly out of boredom as I'm not one for these petrolhead films.

It is very decent fare mostly saved by its two leads; it's a shame that Paul and Poots didn't get a better vehicle for their chemistry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement