Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need for Speed

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Am I the only one who dislikes Aaron Paul as an actor? His role suited him great in Breaking Bad, but I could never really warm to him. he seems like the guy who might only be good to play smart ass characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Corholio wrote: »
    Am I the only one who dislikes Aaron Paul as an actor? His role suited him great in Breaking Bad, but I could never really warm to him. he seems like the guy who might only be good to play smart ass characters.

I disagree as he isn't playing a smart ass in Breaking Bad 100% of the time.
    Have you seen the numerous scenes where Jesse has an emotional break down?

Powerful shi*.

If he can nail emotional scenes like that he can nail other roles just fine.

Also most people including myself have not seen him play other roles yet, so the least we could do is give him a chance. And I mean besides Need For Speed, its about cars and racing, not Oscar winning performances. :p

Actually speaking of preconceptions,
    I had a big one about Bryan Cranston when I first heard about his role in BB.

I thought he could only play a role like Hal from Malcolm in the Middle,
    And boy did he turn that flat on it's head when I saw him play Walter White!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

To be honest, none of the actors are good in this, but that is mostly down to a woeful script.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,102 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think he was on Top Gear tonite, as he was on Graham Norton on Fri nite.

Aaron comes across very cool and likeable in his interviews

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

waveform wrote: »
    Actually speaking of preconceptions,
    I had a big one about Bryan Cranston when I first heard about his role in BB.

I thought he could only play a role like Hal from Malcolm in the Middle,
    And boy did he turn that flat on it's head when I saw him play Walter White!

It wasn't a preconception, I genuinely don't think he's a great actor. He was good in Breaking Bad, but definitely not in the Cranston mould where I'd be pretty confident of enjoying whatever role he is in.

If Paul goes on to do great things fair enough, I'm just not a big fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Otacon wrote: »
    I didn't see any. Now they may have used CGI to get rid of wires or other things you are not meant to see but I honestly didn't notice anything.

The car action and races were the best thing about the movie.

Well according to his Tope Gear interview he said there was no CG used in the film.

Also, in another interview with him in the Times last week, he basically said that he did do this for money/exposure, as critical acclaim doesn't always pay the bills. But he also said that it would not be as bad as people think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I heard an interview with Bryan Cranston where he said that all his money was made from Malcolm and the Middle, not Breaking Bad. Shows like Malcolm in the Middle can just be shown endlessly for years on re-runs, so you're always making money from it every time it's shown on television, which could be constantly in many different countries. That's how people like Larry David have made their millions with shows like Seinfeld. You can't do that with something like Breaking Bad. Shows like that need to be seen from start to finish in order to make sense, so you can't just show a random episode every evening on some random channel. Therefore the earning value from shows like that aren't great once the show stops airing.

Money needs to be made somewhere, I guess. And doing something like that will keep him in people's minds after Breaking Bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

With Metacritic on 39% and RT on 23%, I really was expecting the worst.

I'll say this - I haven't disagreed so much with reviews and general sentiment about a movie for a long time.

I .... REALLY .... ENJOYED ... IT.

There. I said it. Sorry.

Leave your brain at the door, get a popcorn and coke and just enjoy it for what it is - a dumb action movie that's entertaining and great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I never really warmed to him in Breaking Bad either. I think he was a bit too self-pitying. However, I thought he was pretty good in the fairly obscure Smashed.
    I heard an interview with Bryan Cranston where he said that all his money was made from Malcolm and the Middle, not Breaking Bad. Shows like Malcolm in the Middle can just be shown endlessly for years on re-runs, so you're always making money from it every time it's shown on television, which could be constantly in many different countries. That's how people like Larry David have made their millions with shows like Seinfeld. You can't do that with something like Breaking Bad. Shows like that need to be seen from start to finish in order to make sense, so you can't just show a random episode every evening on some random channel. Therefore the earning value from shows like that aren't great once the show stops airing.

Money needs to be made somewhere, I guess. And doing something like that will keep him in people's minds after Breaking Bad.
    That's why the last writer's strike in Hollywood was about DVD residuals - the studios were trying to weasel their way out of paying writers and actors the little percentage they get from that revenue stream. And you can imagine how that would be much more important that residuals from reruns for a show like Breaking Bad.
    Mr E wrote: »
    I .... REALLY .... ENJOYED ... IT.
    Fair enough. I'm curious: it looks like a Fast & Furious franchise clone to me. Is it, or is it its own movie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Cut from the same cloth as the first 3 F&F movies (when it was all about the cars and racing).

mikhail wrote: »
    I never really warmed to him in Breaking Bad either. I think he was a bit too self-pitying.

Isn't this really an issue with the character and not the actor himself though?

I think the fact some people think he was too much of a smart ass to be liked, just re-enforces how good an actor he is.

People hated Skyler in Breaking Bad, which again was due to great acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭sw33t_r3v3ng3

i loved fast and furious, the only thing was that the special effects were shi*. The scenes of cars crashing were the most unrealistic movie scenes ive ever seen

waveform wrote: »
    Isn't this really an issue with the character and not the actor himself though?
    Tell that to a Shakespearean actor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 Hunter of Invisible Game

Nope, you are not the only one, but then, I didn't even like him in BB either tbh.

As for this junk, I hated it.

He went to prison for what seemed like three seconds, at most.

Also,the black character in it actually says: "Word" at one point.

Ah man. Films don't get much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Lads go handy to **** with the spoilers like

Lads go handy to **** with the spoilers like
    The prison bit is essentially set-up. You'd probably mention it in a one-line summary of what the film's about.

Granted, he should never have mentioned the black guy saying, "Word". That's totally ruined for me now.

Watched this last night, at various points in the movie I was wondering is this actually the story for real? Even more so then Fast and the Spurious this has taken the bar down to levels so low James Cameron really has his work cut out now.
    Saying that the car action was outstanding, was nice to watching some stunts that were actually real and not drawn by a guy in front of a computer. Possibly worth watching for this, subject to having a large popcorn beside you.

Saw this yesterday and thought that it was great for what it is. It's a big dumb action film that's little more than a series of set pieces strung together by a story do flimsy that a light breeze would tear it apart.

Going in I expected 2 hours of good looking trash and got that and more. Visually the film is gorgeous with some of the most incredible looking car chases in cinema. The lack if CGInis refreshing and there's something quite please t about seeing expensive cars being destroyed for our pleasure. Those talking about the cheap looking CGI during the set pieces are talking utter nonsense, yes there's some CGI but this is a film that relishes in just having the cast go for it. There's one fantastic show where Aaron Paul comes to a stop free from the camera and after reading up in it there was no CGI involved. Just Paul racing toward the camera and slamming on the breaks. The director was operating the camera and the fail safe if fine thing went wrong was to have a person behind him holding his belt. If things webt wring he was pull Waugh out from in front of the car.

The story here is, well it's thin. There's a very basic narrative here and if the series is to continue they need to take a leaf out of the Fast and the Furious series. Really couldn't see myself watching a sequel if it was just another race across the country. Still the lack of a developed plot won't affect your enjoyment. Just treat is as a modern remake of Vanishing Point and go with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I went to see this on Saturday mostly out of boredom as I'm not one for these petrolhead films.

It is very decent fare mostly saved by its two leads; it's a shame that Paul and Poots didn't get a better vehicle for their chemistry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Got to see this today. I liked it. Would have prefered less chit chat, but was happy with the amount of speed I saw.

My main gripe about it was
    where was the CIA cars after yer man got a level 5 wanted level? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Watched this Sunday night. The car chases and racing were brilliant I thought, real high end supercars not the **** you see in fast and the furious. That Shelby Mustang :eek:

Everything else in the movie is terrible, really bad like. Stock characters, a fairly boring storyline and such a rushed ending.

If you like fast cars you will love it, if you are looking for anything else you will be sorely disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Yeah saw it recently.
    Knew exactly what I wat getting into.
    Did exactly what it said on the tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Awful. Truly awful. It doesn't even have the saving grace of being fun like the Fast and Furious series. The dialogue is just atrocious.

The street race at night near the beginning is the only thing worth watching as its very well shot with some brilliant shots from behind the wheel, first person style.

The final act was really stupid. What exactly is the point in entering a race where the winner wins all the participants cars......if all the cars are wrecked at the end? Why would you go out of your way to run your opponents off the road? You end up winning nothing if there is no car left intact.

Advertisement