Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Brian murphy meant be back training thursday ,and in line for sunday.

Unreal,i thought he was out for good.I hope club games,are cancelled for the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Brian murphy meant be back training thursday ,and in line for sunday.

Unreal,i thought he was out for good.I hope club games,are cancelled for the weekend.

It's all falling into place for Cork.

You'd have to say O hAlipin doesn't look too smart now.

Rightwing wrote: »

Other teams may get injuries now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

No you wouldn't, just the same as if we lost to kk he wouldn't have looked right either.

Other teams may get injuries now.

We've picked up a few, how serious they are I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭Henry94

Still a legend but now is the time to unite behind the current team. They have proved they deserve it but it's something we should do anyway. We have a long winter for fighting political battles.

Cork team announced tonigh.With baited breath we wait.

Its hard to believe Cork in four games,have averaged 20 point a game,Dublin with a much better system,and forwards that get so much ball,are only slighty averaging more.

We have as good as forwards on paper,but conceding way more at the back.

If Counihan was not the manager,id say Cork would have a 50//50 chance.But the fact where going in to this game,blinded by Counihan,we have an uphill task.

Cork team announced tonigh.With baited breath we wait.

Its hard to believe Cork in four games,have averaged 20 point a game,Dublin with a much better system,and forwards that get so much ball,are only slighty averaging more.

We have as good as forwards on paper,but conceding way more at the back.

If Counihan was not the manager,id say Cork would have a 50//50 chance.But the fact where going in to this game,blinded by Counihan,we have an uphill task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Hi lads,

paddypower is blocked at work,

any prices for the cork v dub in football and the cork all ireland double ?

I m feeling optimistic,

I feel the footballers have a rocket performance in them :) we have got this far by playing only 70%, I think counihan is playing cute, must be some kerry blood there lol;);)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Don't think I will pay too much attention to the team. I'll have a look at the team when the ball is thrown in on Saturday.

• Advertisement

Henry94 wrote: »
    Still a legend but now is the time to unite behind the current team. They have proved they deserve it but it's something we should do anyway. We have a long winter for fighting political battles.
    Will always be a legend,but he should have aplogised for what he said.

By all means speak,but their are times ,when its best when you say nothing at all.
    A shut mouth catches no flies.

They will be no more battles in cork.The county board have full control,the Clubs lost their chance when they had it to get it back.

There's no point in fighting the good fight.The CCB will always have total control.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Don't think I will pay too much attention to the team. I'll have a look at the team when the ball is thrown in on Saturday.

Id say like week sham,the team tonight will start.Tonight is the last training session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Would'nt it be ironic if the two counties, Cork & Limerick,that shafted their managers in recent years were to contest the final?:cool:

Would'nt it be ironic if the two counties, Cork & Limerick,that shafted their managers in recent years were to contest the final?:cool:
    It would prove ,one hundred and ten per cent right both counties were right to as u say shaft them,as if we left orignal guys in charge,we woudnt be in contention to be in a final.
    Nows thats not ironic,but a fact.

The Cork Senior Football team to play Dublin in the All-Ireland Quarter-Final on Saturday night at 7pm in Croke Park has been named as follows:

1. Alan Quirke
    Valley Rovers
    2. Eoin Cadogan 3. Michael Shields 4. Thomas Clancy
    Douglas St. Finbarr's Clonakilty

5. Damien Cahalane 6. Graham Canty 7. James Loughrey
    Castlehaven Bantry Blues Mallow

8. Alan O'Connor 9. Pearse O'Neill
    St. Colum's Aghada

10. Mark Collins 11. Aidan Walsh 12. John O'Rourke
    Castlehaven Kanturk Carbery Rangers

13. Daniel Goulding 14. Ciaran Sheehan 15. Brian Hurley
    Eire Óg Eire Óg Castlehaven

Subs
    16. Ken O'Halloran Bishopstown
    17. John Mc Loughlin Kanturk
    18. Tomás Clancy Fermoy
    19. Noel O'Leary Cill na Martra
    20. Jamie O'Sullivan Bishopstown
    21. Paudie Kissane Clyda Rovers
    22. Andrew O'Sullivan Castletownbere
    23. Fintan Goold Macroom
    24. Patrick Kelly Ballincollig
    25. Paul Kerrigan Nemo Rangers
    26. Donncha O'Connor Ballydesmond

Conor Counihan has named an unchanged side for this game, keeping faith with the same team that started in the Round 4 defeat of Galway last week.

Limk certainly didn't shaft any manager, can't really speak for Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Just wondering, will the Cork squad travel up Friday on an over night or Saturday morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

The Cork Senior Football team to play Dublin in the All-Ireland Quarter-Final on Saturday night at 7pm in Croke Park has been named as follows:

1. Alan Quirke
    Valley Rovers
    2. Eoin Cadogan 3. Michael Shields 4. Thomas Clancy
    Douglas St. Finbarr's Clonakilty

5. Damien Cahalane 6. Graham Canty 7. James Loughrey
    Castlehaven Bantry Blues Mallow

8. Alan O'Connor 9. Pearse O'Neill
    St. Colum's Aghada

10. Mark Collins 11. Aidan Walsh 12. John O'Rourke
    Castlehaven Kanturk Carbery Rangers

13. Daniel Goulding 14. Ciaran Sheehan 15. Brian Hurley
    Eire Óg Eire Óg Castlehaven

Subs
    16. Ken O'Halloran Bishopstown
    17. John Mc Loughlin Kanturk
    18. Tomás Clancy Fermoy
    19. Noel O'Leary Cill na Martra
    20. Jamie O'Sullivan Bishopstown
    21. Paudie Kissane Clyda Rovers
    22. Andrew O'Sullivan Castletownbere
    23. Fintan Goold Macroom
    24. Patrick Kelly Ballincollig
    25. Paul Kerrigan Nemo Rangers
    26. Donncha O'Connor Ballydesmond

Conor Counihan has named an unchanged side for this game, keeping faith with the same team that started in the Round 4 defeat of Galway last week.

God help us on Saturday. As long its not a massacre and scoreline is respectable, i think i might be happy then. We dont deserve to be going any further under CC. Sorry lads but thats the way i feel about Cork football at the moment. If i have to eat my words after I will but very unlikely.

Just wondering, will the Cork squad travel up Friday on an over night or Saturday morning?
    Travel friday night and stay above.

• Advertisement

Amprodude wrote: »
    God help us on Saturday. As long its not a massacre and scoreline is respectable, i think i might be happy then. We dont deserve to be going any further under CC. Sorry lads but tgats the way i feel about Cork football at the moment.

We do have a reasonable chance of beating the Dubs - nothing to be frightened of. IF we win - it is probably only going to prolong the inevitable loss to Kerry in Croker as CC had no tactical ability whatsoever and will lose us that game for sure.

We do have a reasonable chance of beating the Dubs - nothing to be frightened of. IF we win - it is probably only going to prolong the inevitable loss to Kerry in Croker as CC had no tactical ability whatsoever and will lose us that game for sure.

Yeah it gets worse for us IF we do beat Dublin. Kerry would destroy us in semi final at Croke Park. Something i could live without seeing again.

God help us on Saturday. As long its not a massacre and scoreline is respectable, i think i might be happy then. We dont deserve to be going any further under CC. Sorry lads but thats the way i feel about Cork football at the moment. If i have to eat my words after I will but very unlikely.

Id never go against Cork,but i can totally,see where your coming from.Tngt sickens me,as that team is a joke to start,and if is a dummy team,then its a joke.I have an awful feeling,kissane will replace loughrey or clancy.

Ffs,JBm doesnt do any bulls****.Names the team and gets on what on.

A fright to f**k,he still doesnt know hes team 3 days before they play a potenial all ireland winning team.

Ill go Sat night,but finding it hard to pay money and see the same mistakes ove and over again.

Yeah it gets worse for us IF we do beat Dublin. Kerry would destroy us in semi final at Croke Park. Something i could live without seeing again.
    Thats it,he would make a mess of it.Id rather Kerry beat Dublin ,if we dont beat them in the hurling.
    Im used to Kerry winning,couldn't take dublin doing the double.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭m0ynihan

D'you know the way Counihan always acts like he doesn't have a clue in interviews? Saying stuff like 'sure yano, we'll just see what happens like'? I'm starting to think he's actually not acting..

m0ynihan wrote: »
    D'you know the way Counihan always acts like he doesn't have a clue in interviews? Saying stuff like 'sure yano, we'll just see what happens like'? I'm starting to think he's actually not acting..

He's not acting, he's clueless and I've been saying it for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

He's not acting, he's clueless and I've been saying it for years.

I think that statement is a bit ott. Counihan was a fine tough centre back and was as cute as they come. I think some people over rate the talent Cork has based on U21 successes. Yes we have a good panel with strength in depth but 15 on 15 there is very little between most of the teams left in the championship.

Sometime with very talented players it's very hard for them to adjust to a defensive system as they like to play off the cuff. I think Cork will give the dubs a right good rattle and it will be very 50/50 which way it goes. I think 9/4 are very good odds on a cork win.

I think that statement is a bit ott. Counihan was a fine tough centre back and was as cute as they come. I think some people over rate the talent Cork has based on U21 successes. Yes we have a good panel with strength in depth but 15 on 15 there is very little between most of the teams left in the championship.

Sometime with very talented players it's very hard for them to adjust to a defensive system as they like to play off the cuff. I think Cork will give the dubs a right good rattle and it will be very 50/50 which way it goes. I think 9/4 are very good odds on a cork win.

Correct, he was as a player - but as a manager, which is of course totally different, he is clueless. I have lost track of how many situations in matches Obvious changes were needed and then he would make a Daft change instead. We have a team for the past number of years who have lost many a game not because of the Apparent strength of the U21's but because of Counihan's lack of tactical ability. Not seeing what a top manager would see. Not reacting like a top manager would.
    He might make some good choices, but even a broken clock is right twice a day - he does not have the skills to be a manager you can rely on when the heat is turned up- plain and simple.

I think cork folk are harsh on counihan. Didn't he pick football up from the gutter there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Horse84

I think cork folk are harsh on counihan. Didn't he pick football up from the gutter there?

No

No

• Advertisement

I think to call him a totally,clueless manager is fully justifed.I could open a new thread ,here ,and it would be full with all the mistakes he made.

Yes he took Cork on,but not from the gutter.He had talent coming through and guys that played in the 07,final.

From the gutter,is what JBM has done to Cork hurling.
    CC had a solid base.Billy Morgan would have won a lot more if he stayed.

He got a poor,poor Cork team to an all ireland final,and were only beaten by kerry during he's reign.
    Whatever about the players,their is no excuse to the playing of players out of position or the clueless match ups,like Canty on Sullivan,canty on armstrong,kissane on Danny Hughes for 55 minutes that nearly lost us the matc,and Kieran O connor to start the all ireland final,and then if it could not get worse,to play John Miskella in the confines of corner back.

Nobody disputes him as a player.But playing in the 90's and managing are worlds apart,ffs.

Larry tompkins was the most intelligent footballer we had,but totally clueless and out of he's depth as a manager for seven years.

Those guys if anything are still stuck in the old way they won all irelands.

Cork need a young coach in tune with the modern game,like the David power,Mick O Dowd, etc

Jim gavin may be older but full of fresh ideas.

If cork beat Dublin,it is a one off performance,where the character and heart of the players win it,but Kerry will beat us.

A bit like Munster against Harelquins,for all the fight and heart,when they got to the semi final,they had not the game plan or players to win it.

Its the same with Cork,we dont have the players because their on the bench.

Cork as Liam hayes and righty so said,in 2010,Cork were the worst team to win the all ireland,considering the way we played.He was heavily abused in Cork after it,but time has proven he was right.

Correct, he was as a player - but as a manager, which is of course totally different, he is clueless. I have lost track of how many situations in matches Obvious changes were needed and then he would make a Daft change instead. We have a team for the past number of years who have lost many a game not because of the Apparent strength of the U21's but because of Counihan's lack of tactical ability. Not seeing what a top manager would see. Not reacting like a top manager would.
    He might make some good choices, but even a broken clock is right twice a day - he does not have the skills to be a manager you can rely on when the heat is turned up- plain and simple.
    we won an all ireland based on power and pace,and we stumbled over the line.If i was not a cork man,i would have went for down,as they played football.

Rebel Fitz won at Galway.JBM owns a share in him.

Rebel Fitz won at Galway.JBM owns a share in him.

Everything he touches...:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

What sort of following will Cork bring to the semi lads?

JBM seems to command respect and get the Cork people behind him and you usually have good numbers for the hurling and there was 40,000 at the Leinster final and throw in 10k or bandwagoners could be looking at 60k+.

Also what's this I hear about Kissane being put on Kilkenny for Saturday? Suicidal move if it happens.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    What sort of following will Cork bring to the semi lads?

JBM seems to command respect and get the Cork people behind him and you usually have good numbers for the hurling and there was 40,000 at the Leinster final and throw in 10k or bandwagoners could be looking at 60k+.

Also what's this I hear about Kissane being put on Kilkenny for Saturday? Suicidal move if it happens.

Hurling has always,got a big cork crowd when we even had poor managers,but the win sunday,added to the huge grattuide,respect and belief JBM has,and the fact its a 50-50 games,and the fact its Dublin,and a cracking atmosphere,their will be a huge cork crowd.

Those that cant afford both will choose hurling,as win our loose unlike the football,you are guranteed value for money.

Next thursday we will have corks team,no dummy team,thats adds to it.

A lot of cork fans today are unsure if counihan named a dummy team.I was sure thats the team to start.But on the radio today,he seemed to indicate cork finished with their strongest team.
    Kissane could very well start,just cause Loughrey had one bad game.

How many had kissane.

Its farcical and beyond a joke.He thought he finished with hes best team against kerry,yet they were as i said they would be shown up against Galway,and waited 55 minutes to make changes.

Counihan is capable of anything.He goes from pillar to post,and doesnt know he's a**e,from hes elbow in context of hes best team ,yet where two days from a game defining season.

It may seem harsh,or over the top,but its not,speaking to a lot of fans,they feel the same.

I feel,he has lost the dressing room,in that the players dont truly believe in him anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I think to call him a totally,clueless manager is fully justifed.I could open a new thread ,here ,and it would be full with all the mistakes he made.

Yes he took Cork on,but not from the gutter.He had talent coming through and guys that played in the 07,final.

From the gutter,is what JBM has done to Cork hurling.
    CC had a solid base.Billy Morgan would have won a lot more if he stayed.

He got a poor,poor Cork team to an all ireland final,and were only beaten by kerry during he's reign.
    Whatever about the players,their is no excuse to the playing of players out of position or the clueless match ups,like Canty on Sullivan,canty on armstrong,kissane on Danny Hughes for 55 minutes that nearly lost us the matc,and Kieran O connor to start the all ireland final,and then if it could not get worse,to play John Miskella in the confines of corner back.

Nobody disputes him as a player.But playing in the 90's and managing are worlds apart,ffs.

Larry tompkins was the most intelligent footballer we had,but totally clueless and out of he's depth as a manager for seven years.

Those guys if anything are still stuck in the old way they won all irelands.

Cork need a young coach in tune with the modern game,like the David power,Mick O Dowd, etc

Jim gavin may be older but full of fresh ideas.

If cork beat Dublin,it is a one off performance,where the character and heart of the players win it,but Kerry will beat us.

A bit like Munster against Harelquins,for all the fight and heart,when they got to the semi final,they had not the game plan or players to win it.

Its the same with Cork,we dont have the players because their on the bench.

Cork as Liam hayes and righty so said,in 2010,Cork were the worst team to win the all ireland,considering the way we played.He was heavily abused in Cork after it,but time has proven he was right.

I fully accept that being a fine player doesn't equate to being a good manager. I suppose my main point is that the quality that we have can be exaggerated. I'd have 5 of the starting kerry forwards over the lads we have.

I also believe Dublin are not the force some people are making them out to be and Meath showed just how ordinary they can be. Cork will be well up for this game and I am quietly confident we'll put up a very big performance.

I fully accept that being a fine player doesn't equate to being a good manager. I suppose my main point is that the quality that we have can be exaggerated. I'd have 5 of the starting kerry forwards over the lads we have.

I also believe Dublin are not the force some people are making them out to be and Meath showed just how ordinary they can be. Cork will be well up for this game and I am quietly confident we'll put up a very big performance.

And I can guarantee you they would not look as good as they are, as a direct result of the ball - or lack thereof - and tactics employed by Counihan !
    I would love to see how Kerry would perform if we swapped forward lines - I think they could be lethal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

If Monaghan win the all Ireland there won't be any diesel washed for a month!:cool:

If Monaghan win the all Ireland there won't be any diesel washed for a month!:cool:

Cool story bro.

• Advertisement

You could have irelands greatest forwards in the county under CC,and he would make them poor.
    Cork don't need 5 forwards as good a kerry to win,what we need is a system,and manager to get the best out of the talent we have.

How many Donegal or mayo forwards would get on the kerry team,not many,but they play to a system that works.We don't.

Few of my good Kerry friends who know their football believe that Cork will take Dublin today. IMO I would find that very hard to believe, I don't think we are fast enough in the backs to stop the Dublin forward line. Again we wait and see but I do expect the game to be close enough on scoreboard with the Dubs pulling away in the last 10mins to win by 5 points.

Few of my good Kerry friends who know their football believe that Cork will take Dublin today. IMO I would find that very hard to believe, I don't think we are fast enough in the backs to stop the Dublin forward line. Again we wait and see but I do expect the game to be close enough on scoreboard with the Dubs pulling away in the last 10mins to win by 5 points.

I expect the opposite to happen. Dublin will be ahead at ht. Cork will slowly eat into their lead and score a late goal into the hill to win it...:D

The same as 2010 really...but it was into the canal end we scored our goal.

It is a hard one to call though. Dublin have a few fowards to sprng from the bench - something they didn't really have in 2010 and I am a firm believer that somebody from the bench will turn tonight's game..

I expect the opposite to happen. Dublin will be ahead at ht. Cork will slowly eat into their lead and score a late goal into the hill to win it...:D

The same as 2010 really...but it was into the canal end we scored our goal.

It is a hard one to call though. Dublin have a few fowards to sprng from the bench - something they didn't really have in 2010 and I am a firm believer that somebody from the bench will turn tonight's game..

I'd agree but crucially with Gavin ,Dublin will act sooner than Counihan and make the right changes.

I hope i'm wrong,but i expect a close ,hard fought game ,with the way the weather is,but us to be undone by poor management and be moaning here tonight,how we lost a game,we could have very well won.

I'd agree but crucially with Gavin ,Dublin will act sooner than Counihan and make the right changes.

I hope i'm wrong,but i expect a close ,hard fought game ,with the way the weather is,but us to be undone by poor management and be moaning here tonight,how we lost a game,we could have very well won.

I think we have a good chance of winning but that we could be having that very same conversation after the Kerry game - like we always do!

The only thing in Dublins case i would be worried about is they are the favourites. They are sometimes not comfortable in that position. In 2009 they were hot favourites against Kerry and didnt turn up. This could happen today as well. Who knows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Counihan should do the right thing and resign.

Counihan should do the right thing and resign.

I wish.

We werent a million miles off the Dubs today but i said it here beforehand that Dublins pace would burn us and it did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭CorkonianRebel

I think you were right about this one. As much as Dublin were ahead, I thought a few tweaks and we could win the game. But with Counihan, all he does is unload the bench.

Hopefully he steps down now.

Kissane and Alan O Connor were woeful.Why Paddy Kelly wasn't on pitch I will never know

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement