Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MSU Election thread ***Read post 72 before posting***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭manna

At least he's honest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭declan06

I've set up a facebook page to let students share their ideas on how the Union and university could be improved.

Edit: link removed until the 28th at request of RO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭BuroniKiisu

declan06 wrote: »
    I've set up a facebook page to let students share their ideas on how the Union and university could be improved.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/Declan-for-President-Bringing-Us-Together/127999673939018

Sorry Declan, but this has to qualify as canvassing before the close of nominations. I mean, you do state that you're still only "seeking nomination for President of Maynooth SU", but you've got what's ostensibly a campaign slogan up there.

As received from the Returning Officer:

"Candidates are not allowed to canvas before the close of nominations (10pm, February 28th). This includes the use of social networking sites, online message boards, posters, leaflets, etc."

Sorry Declan, but this has to qualify as canvassing before the close of nominations. I mean, you do state that you're still only "seeking nomination for President of Maynooth SU", but you've got what's ostensibly a campaign slogan up there.

As received from the Returning Officer:

"Candidates are not allowed to canvas before the close of nominations (10pm, February 28th). This includes the use of social networking sites, online message boards, posters, leaflets, etc."

Nowhere on the page have I canvassed. I'm asking for ideas that's all. If I'm overruled by the RO then I'll take it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 FYR

I am delighted to declare that I am seeking nominations for the position of Finance Officer. Ruaidhri

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

declan06 wrote: »
    Nowhere on the page have I canvassed. I'm asking for ideas that's all. If I'm overruled by the RO then I'll take it down.

Arguably the very title of the page "Declan for President, Bringing Us Together", specifically the first part of that line, could easily be regarded as canvassing. God knows there are enough posters put up year on year where "[name] for [position]" is the dominant text as part of canvassing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nision

FYR wrote: »
    I am delighted to declare that I am seeking nominations for the position of Finance Officer. Ruaidhri

Will you be committing to continuing Declans work for a Carbon Neutral SU?

What plans will you bring to the Green Working Group Declan has set up on facebook at least).

Nision wrote: »
    Will you be committing to continuing Declans work for a Carbon Neutral SU?

What plans will you bring to the Green Working Group Declan has set up on facebook at least).

While I would be delighted to answer the question, I would be obliged if you could ask me again after the close of nominations so I don't break the (pretty fair) no canvassing rules.

Someone bring 3 euro specials into the S.U.

So I've heard of eight names being thrown into the hat for the Presidential race; four confirmed to me first-hand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭daffodil14

6, thats a fair amount running for president.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I also count 6.

I submitted my nomination for Finance today.

banquo wrote: »
    I also count 6.

I've heard 9, not all confirmed, should be an interesting race.

7,542 views on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Nominations closing at 10pm this Monday - anyone thinking of running get those 60 signatures!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 phil09

Mastroph wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure he's not running as a serious candidate. One of those "Wouldn't it be funny if I got it? LOL" Type of deals. Don't get me wrong, the guy's sound, I won't be voting for him though.

Just for the record, I've known Charlie for a long time now and I know he wouldn't be giving up his valuable time in final year for a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mastroph

phil09 wrote: »
    Just for the record, I've known Charlie for a long time now and I know he wouldn't be giving up his valuable time in final year for a joke.
    Well both times I've heard him talk about why he's running he gave blasé, throwaway answers. Don't know him well enough to tell whether he's actually being serious or not, but that's the way he's coming across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 phil09

Mastroph wrote: »
    Well both times I've heard him talk about why he's running he gave blasé, throwaway answers. Don't know him well enough to tell whether he's actually being serious or not, but that's the way he's coming across.

That's just his sense of humour, as O'Casey said: "That's the Irish people all over - they treat a joke as a serious thing, and a serious thing as a joke".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Hope we don't "do a Fianna Fáil" and just have a re-shuffle. Always good to see new names and fresh ideas go forward for the Union. The problem with other Unions (Sup Belfield!) is that every year people just swap positions.

Last years turn out was amazing, that again please...

• Advertisement

Less than 32 hours 'til nominations close.

Welfare seems to have been bopped up to 6 people strongly considering running: Fiach, Cathal, two other guys and two girls.

I only know of three guys..

Name and shame?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin was hunting signatures for Welfare on Friday. Didn't hear of anyone else though.

I heard Sinead Mawe has been gathering signatures too, but I've no idea what she's running for...

manna wrote: »
    I heard Sinead Mawe has been gathering signatures too, but I've no idea what she's running for...

Can't you just tell us yourself? Boards isn't as anonymous as you'd think. ;)

Another not-a-chance candidate for President. Transfers will decide it and it'll go on longer than Wicklow...

Maybe not, but you clearly haven't figured out who everyone is yet. You've definitely pinned me as the wrong person.

Maybe not, but you clearly haven't figured out who everyone is yet. You've definitely pinned me as the wrong person.

Checking your old posts throughout boards.ie, I'd be genuinely shocked if I'm wrong. Not a big deal, though.

Back on topic:

Less than 28 hours remaining 'til nominations close. :D

Checking your old posts throughout boards.ie,

My god, I've got a stalker! :eek:

So what about the other positions? Is there any names in the hat for Irish and Cultural affairs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 cathaldonnelly

So does anyone have a near complete list of candidates for the elections then? I'm hearing lots of maybes and maynots :)

Has anyone heard from non-sabbat candidates (besides me)

FYR wrote: »
    Has anyone heard from non-sabbat candidates (besides me)

Heard of another person running for Finance when in the Roost on Thursday. Someone described them as the "hot guy running for Finance" but couldn't find them in the crowd when I asked them to point him out for me.

That's not to say you're unattractive, FYR, but I do know for a fact that you weren't out last Thursday night. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭AdmaialNimitz

Steven Flemng for Ents...

You pimped yourself for grinds using an email address that when searched for on Facebook leads to your page.
    This is less creepy than it sounds and mire out of morbid curiosity.

So what are you running for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

One election season ends and another one begins -_- I'm all electioned out!

• Advertisement

I'm hoping Election Fever will translate into votes:)

Nominations in, manifesto launching at 10pm tonight.

I'm curious as to who's running against me.

Myself and the Deputy RO will be accepting nominations until 10pm tonight, drop your forms in to us in the SU Office.

President

Brickley, Fionn
    Carolan, Gene
    Crehan, Grace
    Kerton, Paul
    Meenagh, Declan
    Mitchell, Barry
    Munnelly, Robert
    O'Neill, Charlie

Vice President, Education & Welfare
    Brennan, Gearóid
    Donnelly, Cathal Óg
    Farnan, Sabrina
    Ó'Caoláin, Caoimhghín
    O'Neill, Fiach
    O'Reilly, Stephen

Vice President Communication & Development
    Broni, Keith
    Callan, Malachy
    Carey, Eilís
    O'Connell, Aislinn

Finance Officer
    Boland, Ruaidhrí
    Monaghan, Maghnus

Entertainments Officer
    Clancy, Emer Martina
    Coyne, Alan
    Fleming, Steven
    Walsh, Anne

Irish Language & Cultural Officer
    Ní Dhubhthaigh, Deirdre
    Ó' Lionáin, Pádraig

St. Patrick's College and Pontifical University Representative
    Garrihy, Maura
    Hughes, Mícheál

• Advertisement

Interesting, very interesting...

Good luck everybody! Mainly those of you who I know :P

Manifesto
    Also like me on Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Not that I intend on voting personally, but I think Puffy has made it clear what the rest of you should do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 cathaldonnelly

Canvassing started. Tired.

Find my manifesto here
    http://www.cathal4welfare.posterous.com/

Facebook page is here
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cathal-Donnelly-For-VP-Welfare-Education/205787662765379

If anyone has any questions let me know :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

When's the hustings etc etc? Also candidate karaoke better happen.

Exec: Tomorrow
    VPs: Thursday
    Glorious Leader: Monday

All at 2pm

Hustings Time Table
    Queries; email returningofficer@nuimsu.com
    2pm start at the Common Room North Campus.

Wednesday 2nd of March:
    1st: Irish Language & Cultural Officer

Ní Dhubhthaigh, Deirdre
    Ó' Lionáin, Pádraig

2nd: St. Patrick's College and Pontifical University Representative

Garrihy, Maura
    Hughes, Michael

3rd: Vice President, Education & Welfare

Brennan, Gearóid
    Donnelly, Cathal Óg
    Farnan, Sabrina
    Ó'Caoláin, Caoimhghín
    O'Neill, Fiach
    O'Reilly, Stephen

Thursday 3rd of March, 2pm:

1st: Finance Officer

Boland, Ruaidhrí
    Monaghan, Maghnus

2nd: Entertainments Officer

Clancy, Emer Martina
    Coyne, Alan
    Fleming, Steven
    Walsh, Anne

3rd: Vice President Communication & Development

Broni, Keith
    Callan, Malachy
    Carey, Eilís
    O'Connell, Aislinn

Monday the 7th of March, 2pm:

President:

Brickley, Fionn
    Carolan, Gene
    Crehan, Grace
    Kerton, Paul
    Meenagh, Declan
    Mitchell, Barry
    Munnelly, Robert
    O'Neill, Charlie

How long does the hustings usually last for? I've class at 2 tomorrow and Thursday so won't be free until three, will the ones for the VP positions have started at that stage?

I'd say it's definitely'll be worth your while popping in after you lectures. These things rarely start bang on the nose and with the VP positions being the last to speak on both days I'd say you'd definitely catch the post-speech questions.

Any hustings questions for candidates, email them to returningofficer@nuimsu.com!

Edit: Also via PM:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement