Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunphy describes Ireland as a Kip, a Dump.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭couldntthink

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Op, this country will be dragged to hell and back again econmcially due to the decisions of some people in power which has left devastating affects on many and will continue to have impacts and affects on our lifes except for the people that got us into the mess that Ireland is in.

And you want us to dance around with glee optmistically?

You fcuk off

I bet you're a big hit down the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

woodoo wrote: »
    Keith you hear far more people refer to the north as a dump, hellhole etc. But the shops are a bit cheaper.
    N.I is a dump in many areas. Council estate areas etc. Some proper rough places. Lovely countryside though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Its a nice country, its just asshole celtic tiger me feiners, the conceited, the dishonest, the hypocrites, the corrupt politicians and the bankers that make it a dump, but if you ignore them as the irrelevant people that they truly are you'll be ok, and you'll find Ireland is a wonderful country which looks beautiful and has a kind of ancient vibe you won't find in many other places.

We are finished unless we can change they way politics works here. Ministers in government should be above parish pump politics. They should not be getting medical cards for people or fearing the consequences of not getting them their passport or some other trivial matter. They need to be elected to run the country. Leave local stuff local.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Ha, Fair play to him for telling it like it is..Obviously there is a lot worse places out there but when we refer to Ireland as a dump its really because we know we could do much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

What would Dunphy know? The only part of it he ever see's is the footy stadium, the inside of the studio and the ****ing pub.

He might read the odd newspaper, seen as he is a journalist after all.

It dose not take much to come to that conclusion though.

Finances = poor
    Health Services = terrible
    Government = bollox
    Society = majority are incompetent and only vote because of a shirt their fathers did or did not wear.
    Potential as it currently stands = negative

All of this in relation to

EU = scam
    Eurozone currency = fail

Ends up with this place being a bit of a kip, maybe not in comparison to other country's but IMHO and I hope everyone else's option compared to what we aspire too

All we should ever measure ourselves against is what we aspire and wish to be. And if it takes calling this place a kip when we don't measure up to get people to wake up so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,256 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

OP, I think you are confusing negativity with realism.

If i'm being bent over a car bonnet with a massive 9ft hairy gay guy behind me about to f*ck me, forgive me if I react with appropriate scorn.

And in case you haven't noticed, we're all figuratively bent over a car bonnet right now and have been for a good while now.

So forgive me if i don't look over my shoulder and say "Thank you sir, may I have some more?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

KeithAFC wrote: »
    N.I is a dump in many areas. Council estate areas etc. Some proper rough places. Lovely countryside though.

Like the ballysally estate :D on TV these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I think Irelands great, I have stopped listening to people bashing it. If they dont like it then leave, if not stay and be happy.
    It's great living in a world where everything's so easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

I think Irelands great, I have stopped listening to people bashing it. If they dont like it then leave, if not stay and be happy.

You should write cards for Hallmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Dunphy was right. Some people don't want to admit it and are in denial about the terrible state of this country. Our health service is deplorable, may as well be third world in fairness. People waiting years for scans and treatments, shocking errors being made, trolleys, waiting lists, shortage of front line staff etc etc etc. Our Gardai's resources being vastly reduced, special needs teachers being reduced, schools being closed, massive unemployment, mass emigration...all the while paying off the bankers/bondholders... do I really need to go on?

On top of that we have grossly overpaid but inept civil servants and politicians. They are completely and utterly detached from reality and the plight of the everyday person struggling to make ends meet. We also have a useless social welfare system that rewards the scroungers but yet seems to penalise the people that genuinely need it.

This country is a hole. Dunphy couldn't have put it better. I would be long gone but I'm finishing my studies (self funded, no govt funding for me!). This country is going nowhere fast and I pity the kids that are following after my generation. I'm 25 btw.

I'm no activist or conspiracy theorist or anything like that, but this country is fooked and the people of Ireland need to wake up and realise that.

/rant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,107 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Op, this country will be dragged to hell and back again econmcially due to the decisions of some people in power which has left devastating affects on many and will continue to have impacts and affects on our lifes except for the people that got us into the mess that Ireland is in.

And you want us to dance around with glee optmistically?

You fcuk off

Sh1t programmes like that increase negativity a hundredfold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Witchie wrote: »
    Possibly first time in my life I agreed with the twat. I would be outta here in a flash only I can't coz of my kids wanting their dad near.

He was pretty much telling my story. I have worked all my life but due to losing my job last year I am probably going to lose the home I built for my sons, I have forced my eldest to apply to colleges in Scotland coz I can't afford to put him through it here, I am sleeping in my sitting room coz I had a fire lit earlier and have no oil to heat my bedroom, I barely can feed, clothe and provide for my sons and am at my wits end. I hate now this country.
    I can understand you feeling fukd over all right - big difference between your story and the spoilt brat whingeing from middle-class kids at their laptops being absolute cliches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Dunphy was right. Some people don't want to admit it and are in denial about the terrible state of this country. Our health service is deplorable, may as well be third world in fairness.

Clearly you have never needed medical treatment in a third world country.

The rest of your post i largely agree with but hyperbole just pisses me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

k.p.h wrote: »
    He might read the odd newspaper, seen as he is a journalist after all.

It dose not take much to come to that conclusion though.

Finances = poor
    Health Services = terrible
    Government = bollox
    Society = majority are incompetent and only vote because of a shirt their fathers did or did not wear.
    Potential as it currently stands = negative

All of this in relation to

EU = scam
    Eurozone currency = fail

Ends up with this place being a bit of a kip, maybe not in comparison to other country's but IMHO and I hope everyone else's option compared to what we aspire too

All we should ever measure ourselves against is what we aspire and wish to be. And if it takes calling this place a kip when we don't measure up to get people to wake up so be it.

Do you honestly think that by Dunphy basically opening his mouth and being heard by the thousands by virtue of being on The Late Late show, and a view that has no doubht been expressed by countless before him, for decades upon decades previously, that it will awaken people's senses and think "Oh yeah, that guy's right, what a profound statement, let's do something"? Look the word kip and dump is a stupid word to describe Ireland and is simply not correct and should not be contention of arguement

Also you have just labelled the majority of Ireland as engaging in Parish pump politics. The electorate and political sysyem are just as ****ed up as they are in other countries as well

Thank you, it's the use of hyperbole that is really irritating,yes people are suffering, yes things are ****ed up, but that does not equal dump. Not that hard really.

By the way, when people supposedly wake up and realise Ireland is a dump and then presumably get out of it, then what's to become of Ireland then? Why don't we all just abandon the place altogether sure, would seem to fix the problem right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Does this thread conform to R&R rules where you have to agree with the OP or does anything go?

Dunphy of all people saying it though - with an easy life like his. Just because some people have a bit of perspective and recognise this country is not a dump, doesn't mean they don't want to admit there are problems. They just have a more balanced outlook and aren't self-loathing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

woodoo wrote: »
    Like the ballysally estate :D on TV these days
    :pac:

What is so wrong about it is the BBC are using those people to make money via the tv programme and its ratings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,256 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Domo230 wrote: »
    Thanks for the image

*Looks over shoulder at Domo230 and purses lips*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,107 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If Ireland is a kip and a dump, it's Dunphy's doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Dunphy was right. Some people don't want to admit it and are in denial about the terrible state of this country. Our health service is deplorable, may as well be third world in fairness. People waiting years for scans and treatments, shocking errors being made, trolleys, waiting lists, shortage of front line staff etc etc etc. Our Gardai's resources being vastly reduced, special needs teachers being reduced, schools being closed, massive unemployment, mass emigration...all the while paying off the bankers/bondholders... do I really need to go on?

On top of that we have grossly overpaid but inept civil servants and politicians. They are completely and utterly detached from reality and the plight of the everyday person struggling to make ends meet. We also have a useless social welfare system that rewards the scroungers but yet seems to penalise the people that genuinely need it.

This country is a hole. Dunphy couldn't have put it better. I would be long gone but I'm finishing my studies (self funded, no govt funding for me!). This country is going nowhere fast and I pity the kids that are following after my generation. I'm 25 btw.

I'm no activist or conspiracy theorist or anything like that, but this country is fooked and the people of Ireland need to wake up and realise that.

/rant

Well said.

People will band together and protest about SOPA but when it comes to the state of the country they really couldn't give a fùck as long as it doesn't affect them. We're haemorrhaging jobs at the moment, the economy isn't getting any better, it's getting worse and a lot of people who've lost their jobs can't sell up and emigrate because nobody is buying property at the moment. Businesses are closing down because they can't get financing from the banks and anyone that has a few quid is holding on to it so retail and services are getting hammered. And how does the government try to help? Taxes.

The government are a one trick pony, and they even borrowed that trick from the last government. Where are all these jobs they're trying to create?

• Advertisement

Correct me if I'm wrong but Chile is classed as a developing country, yet has one of the finest public healthcare systems in the world. In that particular case I would rather be treated in a third world country (a one-off I know but nonetheless proves it can be done).

I was unfortunate enough to have to spend over 20 hours in Loughlinstown A&E for something that could have been dealt with in a matter of minutes. I was obviously exaggerating when I said we may as well have a third world healthcare system but all joking aside, for a country that has such a relatively small population, there is no excuse for the state of ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Witchie wrote: »
    Possibly first time in my life I agreed with the twat. I would be outta here in a flash only I can't coz of my kids wanting their dad near.

He was pretty much telling my story. I have worked all my life but due to losing my job last year I am probably going to lose the home I built for my sons, I have forced my eldest to apply to colleges in Scotland coz I can't afford to put him through it here, I am sleeping in my sitting room coz I had a fire lit earlier and have no oil to heat my bedroom, I barely can feed, clothe and provide for my sons and am at my wits end. I hate now this country.

Would sending him to Scotland not mean paying tuition fees over there which are higher than the registration fee here? Would the cost of living here over the course of a college year really be more than the extra few hundred quid upfront over there along with travelling back and forth a few times a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

Dunphy is a publicity whore, he makes a living by being controversial. He has never done a 9-5 job in his life so hes in no position to speak on behalf of the rest of us. Hes rich and has a successful career so dunno what hes moaning about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Ireland's what you make it. I've learned to accept it, if you can't, then either leave or try to change it.
    KeithAFC wrote: »
    I think he is wrong and right. You hear people on here all the time saying it is a dump and they can't wait to leave. But the beer is nice.

It must kill you that it's not a .co.uk at the end of boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Dudess wrote: »
    Dunphy of all people saying it though - with an easy life like his. Just because some people have a bit of perspective and recognise this country is not a dump, doesn't mean they don't want to admit there are problems. They just have a more balanced outlook and aren't self-loathing.
    Dunphy is a publicity whore, he makes a living by being controversial. He has never done a 9-5 job in his life so hes in no position to speak on behalf of the rest of us. Hes rich and has a successful career so dunno what hes moaning about.

To be fair to Dunphy he did say that he was very lucky, he acknowledged that he was blessed with work. He didn't poor mouth at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Correct me if I'm wrong but Chile is classed as a developing country, yet has one of the finest public healthcare systems in the world. In that particular case I would rather be treated in a third world country (a one-off I know but nonetheless proves it can be done).

I was unfortunate enough to have to spend over 20 hours in Loughlinstown A&E for something that could have been dealt with in a matter of minutes. I was obviously exaggerating when I said we may as well have a third world healthcare system but all joking aside, for a country that has such a relatively small population, there is no excuse for the state of ours.

But that's what happens when you have an inherently corrupt government and political system... promise the moon and the stars, and even when they deliver some bull**** then it is only short term, as in enough to get them re-elected i.e for political sustainability but dissastorous for everybody else in the long term.
    Short term thinking and self serving brings with it long term suffering and avoidable austerity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Do you honestly think that by Dunphy basically opening his mouth and being heard by the thousands by virtue of being on The Late Late show, and a view that has no doubht been expressed by countless before him, for decades upon decades previously, that it will awaken people's senses and think "Oh yeah, that guy's right, what a profound statement, let's do something"? Look the word kip and dump is a stupid word to describe Ireland and is simply not correct and should not be contention of arguement

I would concede that it was probably not the best way to say it, but I would also have no problem admitting he is absolutely right.
    Also you have just labelled the majority of Ireland as engaging in Parish pump politics. The electorate and political sysyem are just as ****ed up as they are in other countries as well

Yeah that's it, Parish pump politics on a national level. And the problem is if you don't participate in this type of politics your not in the game at all. The fact that you mention the electorate even imply's to me to me that it is a deep rooted problem with society in general. Obviously not every voter but still enough of a majority for this country to be consistently steered in the wrong direction. What can I say, I only hope.

He's one of the few in our national media who will tell it like it is. His salary is irrelevant to this argument. Are you saying that his opinion isn't valid because of how much he earns?

He has experienced our healthcare system first hand with his sick grandson and he can empathise with the average joe on the street. That counts for a hell of a lot in my opinion. Rather than people ringing Joe Duffy making arguments that aren't heard, Dunphy and others like him are in a position to bring the views of the Irish people into the spotlight. We need more of that!

"We should be doing something about it" from people not doing a thing and waiting for someone else to start the ball rolling. Always amusing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

it,s a puffball baby.

Advertisement