Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Up to about 15 years (can't remember exactly) ago pubs always did their own lines usually every one to two weeks. Then Guinness decided that because all the pubs were doing them over different time periods, the quality of the pint wasn't consistent and there was too much waste (which they had to give us an allowance for) so they took over the cleaning themselves with their 'quality' team.
    However they only clean them once a month now but use a stronger solution than we used to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I think the Porterhouse do the 2-pour on their Red Ale.

yeah, they do - and their stouts afair.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Ravelleman wrote: »
    The funny thing about it is that it is a Guinness marketing exercise that has been applied to other brands like Beamish and Murphy's.

A nitro stout will have a head too large if poured in one go (try it). It didn't start as a marketing exercise it started as a necessary step, which was later marketed.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

Up to about 15 years (can't remember exactly) ago pubs always did their own lines usually every one to two weeks. Then Guinness decided that because all the pubs were doing them over different time periods, the quality of the pint wasn't consistent and there was too much waste (which they had to give us an allowance for) so they took over the cleaning themselves with their 'quality' team.
    However they only clean them once a month now but use a stronger solution than we used to use.

This is really helpful (I'd already asked Guinness and they didn't reply); but once a month?? My old local in London, which had a divine pint of Courage, used to clean them daily. Two further questions:-

If Guinness have determined that monthly cleaning is suffficient and every pub in the country gets done this way then the cleanliness of the line *cannot* have any impact on quality of the Guinness?

The remainng factors are glass cleanliness/pipe length/pouring technique/cask storage conditions. Anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Chelon wrote: »

If Guinness have determined that monthly cleaning is suffficient and every pub in the country gets done this way then the cleanliness of the line *cannot* have any impact on quality of the Guinness?

The remainng factors are glass cleanliness/pipe length/pouring technique/cask storage conditions. Anything else?

Ambiance, reputation, familiarity expectations etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

n97 mini wrote: »
    A nitro stout will have a head too large if poured in one go (try it). It didn't start as a marketing exercise it started as a necessary step, which was later marketed.

Not true, the head size comes out grand in one pour.

Ambiance, reputation, familiarity expectations etc

Ha ha nice try. I've had some great pints in glitzy City centre bars where no-one else was drinking it and some terrible pints in old mans' pubs where it was flowing.

So think I've got my head round that particular chestnut :)

Personally I've always found the length of the line to be a big factor. Cold room and cooler temperatures as well. Stock rotation also but most places would be on the ball with that to avoid waste.
    Pouring technique shouldn't really affect the taste but of course it ruins the presentation of the product and immediately leads to suspicion by the customer.
    As regards Courage and other cask ales I always cleaned the line after each barrel if there was an opportunity, or at least ran water through before tapping the next one. I presume this is still common practice but I haven't dealt with cask in quite a while unfortunately. This isn't necessary with keg beers and I found once every ten days or so was perfect as long as there was some kind of flow on them. Cider lines hardly ever need to be cleaned as there is no yeast involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,099 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Tried a couple of the cask ales earlier. The Freak of Nature DIPA is quite poor. Very harsh on the aftertaste. There were two Aussie ales - one golden, another 'bitter' - on cask and both were grand - totally inoffensive. An Irish cask might have been nice.

I was there on Fri 17-Oct.

Yes, my companion complained about the Freak of Nature IPA.

There were six festival taps, with four taps pouring, and two of them "due soon".

The Devil's Backbone was not on, due to "a supplier letting them down".

I see that beer is from Texas, so maybe there is an intermediary involved.

Personally I've always found the length of the line to be a big factor.

Any idea why exactly? Longer line = more crud buildup, or is there another reason?

• Advertisement

Any idea why exactly? Longer line = more crud buildup, or is there another reason?

To be honest I'm not sure (I did say personally) even though I'm in the game for 30 years. My personal opinion is that the shorter line cuts out the middle man and keeps the creaminess of the Stout from the keg. I know it still has to go through coolers etc these days.
    I know we're way off topic but up to ten or so years ago a certain pub in Limerick always had one Guinness tap which had the barrel underneath it and bypassed the cooler so you could have a regular, soft, or half+half pint. I used to travel specially for the half and half. I'm sure the quality team has put an end to that though at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I know we're way off topic but up to ten or so years ago a certain pub in Limerick always had one Guinness tap which had the barrel underneath it and bypassed the cooler so you could have a regular, soft, or half+half pint. I used to travel specially for the half and half. I'm sure the quality team has put an end to that though at this stage.

+1 My father had a pub from the 1960s and we used to have one Guinness tap not on the cooler for the older customers who liked a 'warm' pint.

For context I need to point out that in the 60s and 70s, an Irish B & B with a washhand basin in every bedroom (a relative luxury before the days of 'en-suite') used to advertise 'H & C in all rooms' - referring to 'hot and cold'.

When a customer asked for a pint, my Dad would ask 'H or C?' and like you, some customers asked for a 'half and half'.

The long beer line was typically a feature of hotels which suffered from the dual handicap of casual staff who were useless at filling pints and the long beer line which was neglected by the management who cared more about room occupancy and bringing in functions than about the quality of the pint in the bar.

Hence most Guinness drinkers wouldn't touch a pint of the black stuff in hotels until the brewery took a more active role in line maintenance and then made filling a pint idiot-proof.

To be honest I'm not sure (I did say personally) even though I'm in the game for 30 years. My personal opinion is that the shorter line cuts out the middle man and keeps the creaminess of the Stout from the keg. I know it still has to go through coolers etc these days.

But the stout is not "creamy" in the keg, it's nitrogen that gives drinks like that their creamy texture. There's be no nitro loss over a line that's two foot long, or a line that's twenty foot or a line that's two hundred foot, it's a closed environment between the keg/line/cooler/tap. Nitrogen is introduced and has nowhere to go until the pint is poured - otherwise you'd have settled pints coming out of the line.

As for the lads looking for "warm" pints, they just liked to taste their beer.

But the stout is not "creamy" in the keg, it's nitrogen that gives drinks like that their creamy texture. There's be no nitro loss over a line that's two foot long, or a line that's twenty foot or a line that's two hundred foot, it's a closed environment between the keg/line/cooler/tap. Nitrogen is introduced and has nowhere to go until the pint is poured - otherwise you'd have settled pints coming out of the line.

As for the lads looking for "warm" pints, they just liked to taste their beer.

As I said in my first paragraph "I'm not sure", but from experience (even doing relief in bad English pubs in the Park Royal days) the pint always was creamier if the line was shorter.
    I still believe this holds true today.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

All terribly interesting lads, but can we get back to the topic at hand please. Cheers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Geuze wrote: »
    The Devil's Backbone was not on, due to "a supplier letting them down".

I see that beer is from Texas
    Nearly. It's from Wolverhampton.

The Six Point/Adnams Bklyn Bitter went on last night and is beautiful. Ramsay/Everards Village Elder is coming next.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

BeerNut wrote: »
    Nearly. It's from Wolverhampton.

The Six Point/Adnams Bklyn Bitter went on last night and is beautiful. Ramsay/Everards Village Elder is coming next.

Was there last night, i tried all the festival ales that were available, and Bklyn was my favorite, although the 3 of us that tried a glass of the freak of nature actually enjoyed it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I thought Freak of Nature was a disaster. Massively phenolic, like drinking TCP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

I thought Freak of Nature was a disaster. Massively phenolic, like drinking TCP.

:-) it was the last we had so maybe

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Yes, I found it quite medicinal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭TheChizler

In today's Evening Echo:
    J.D. Wetherspoon plc intend to apply for planning permission for development at the former Bank of Ireland building, East Douglas Street, Douglas, Cork consisting of the change of use of the former bank building (incorporating modifications permitted under 10/5227 PI.04.237720) to licensed premises. The proposed development includes the infill at ground floor level of existing vehicular access route at the northern site boundary (c.175m2) to provide additional accommodation including bar and food servery, wash up and ancillary office accommodation and WC; internal modifications including the provision of ladies and gents WC, and staff room at...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

any word on how the new pub is coming on in Cork City at all?

any word on how the new pub is coming on in Cork City at all?

Still simply 'Opening Soon' on the website ...

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/

The Forty Foot (Dun Laoghaire) is opening on Dec 16th by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kevin the Kid

Anyone know when the first one is opening ?

The first what?

The first JD WS pub in Cork? Early 2015...........

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kevin the Kid

Geuze wrote: »
    The first what?

The first JD WS pub in Cork? Early 2015...........

Sorry yea. The first one in Ireland - when, where.
    Although come to think of it the prices in Cork and Dublin will be different.
    I saw on this thread the 40ft in Dun Laoghaire in Dec 14.
    That must be the earliest ?

There has been one open for months in Blackrock, Co Dublin.

It's called The Three Tun Tavern

The Three Tun Tavern opened in July 2014, in Blackrock.

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/

https://www.facebook.com/TheThreeTunTavern

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

https://twitter.com/Forty_Foot

the twitter feed for the new Dun Laoghaire pub

Advertisement