Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I'd never want a barman to pour my pint when pouring another

Whyever not? :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Can't say it would bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

So while your pint of Guinness Murphys is settling, the barman may not serve another customer?

Saw a barman do that in the Burlo a few years ago. There was a total of four customers in the bar on a quiet night. He filled a pint of Guinness for one customer, then stood in front of the tap watching it settle with his head down while completely ignoring the other customers who were trying to get his attention to order drinks. Idiot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

coylemj wrote: »
    So while your pint of Guinness Murphys is settling, the barman may not serve another customer?

The two-pour pint is a sham in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

What? Jesus, precious much? It's been a few years since I was behind a bar, but I could easily ready 4, 5, 6 orders at the same time. If you want a vodka and coke and a pint, she wants a vodka and coke, and he wants a pint, and he wants a pint, why not maximise your work, and minimise waiting time for all?
    coylemj wrote: »

Saw a barman do that in the Burlo a few years ago. There was a total of four customers in the bar on a quiet night. He filled a pint of Guinness for one customer, then stood in front of the tap watching it settle with his head down while completely ignoring the other customers who were trying to get his attention to order drinks. Idiot.

To be fair, there are lazy and slow and stupid staff everywhere. Had an argument with a mong a few weeks ago, because I asked for a vodka mojito (herself can't drink rum, gives her heart palpitations) and he argued that saying vodka mojito was redundant, that all mojitos were made with vodka.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

...heself can't drink rum, gives her heart palpitations

When I drink rum, I go bom bom bom

Ravelleman wrote: »

I've done a one-pour pint reaching over the bar, it was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

I've often wondered about that myself.

This might sound like I'm doubting you, but do you have any info on the double pour? Links, having worked in a bar or the like?

Lucena wrote: »
    I've often wondered about that myself.

This might sound like I'm doubting you, but do you have any info on the double pour? Links, having worked in a bar or the like?

It's true, the "double pour" comes from the time before Nitro stout even existed where bars would pour one part of a pint from a fresh keg, and the second part from an older keg. It was something to do with the flavour of the beer in the older keg.

Nowadays though, if a "hardened Guinness drinker" was blindfolded and given two pints he wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the single and double poured pints.

It's doubtful if he'd tell the difference between Guinness, Beamish and Murphys.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Lucena wrote: »
    do you have any info on the double pour?
    Name one other drink where the taste is affected by the number of goes at pouring it into the glasses.

As Baldy says, the story goes that the two-part pour was created to ease the suspicions of regular draught Guinness drinkers when the beer moved from cask to keg. Cask Guinness involved mixing the pint from two different barrels: a "high cask" and a "low cask": one fresh and fizzy, the other stale and flavoursome. Retaining the two-part pour on nitrokeg made it look more like you were getting the Guinness you were familiar with.

That said, it does affect the presentation: if you want the head to peep pleasingly over the rim of the glass like the Guinness in the photos. It also wastes less beer because you don't have run-off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

To be fair, there are lazy and slow and stupid staff everywhere. Had an argument with a mong a few weeks ago, because I asked for a vodka mojito (herself can't drink rum, gives her heart palpitations) and he argued that saying vodka mojito was redundant, that all mojitos were made with vodka.

Were they the mojitos from the taps or freshly made? The ones from the taps are always made with Smirnoff, and are utter sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

BeerNut wrote: »
    That said, it does affect the presentation: if you want the head to peep pleasingly over the rim of the glass like the Guinness in the photos. It also wastes less beer because you don't have run-off.
    No reason you couldnt modify the taps flow etc to produce the same effect with a single pour.

This one looks fine to me, takes a single 4 second pour.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yleLTZzkQtw

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

drumswan wrote: »
    No reason you couldnt modify the taps flow etc to produce the same effect with a single pour.

This one looks fine to me, takes a single 4 second pour.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yleLTZzkQtw

It won't rise above the rim of the glass if you pour it like that though.

E.g.

murphys-irish-stout.jpg

In saying that, a 2 part pour of any beer will result in you getting a head that rises above the rim. It's not exclusive to stout.

Buzzfield have done up a list of 13 of the nicer spoons' in London.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/patricksmith/all-hail-to-the-ale#139002g

Some class looking places in there, to be fair.

The funny thing about it is that it is a Guinness marketing exercise that has been applied to other brands like Beamish and Murphy's. I wonder if the other manufacturers consciously decided to ride the wave or whether barmen started to apply the two-pour system to them.

If you open a can with a widget and pour it vertically into an upright glass you get the exact same effect as a mystical multiple-pour system, in my experience.

Ultimately, Guinness' greatest marketing asset is the way their beer looks. A pint of Guinness is an advertisement in itself. And it's hardly surprising that they would invest so much time, money and effort into accentuating that.

Anyway, to bring it back to Spoons, none of this matters as they don't even serve Guinness!

Anyway, to bring it back to Spoons, none of this matters as they don't even serve Guinness!

do they double pour the stout they do serve though

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

BeerNut wrote: »
    They just tweeted the first set on for the festival:
    - Wicked Weed/Bateman's Freak of Nature DIPA
    - Val-Dieu/Shepherd Neame Abbaye Blonde
    - Brew Moon/Hook Norton Antipodean golden ale and
    - JW Lee's John Willies 100.

The Six Point/Adnams bitter and Two Birds/Banks Golden Ale are slated for later.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

irish_goat wrote: »
    Buzzfield have done up a list of 13 of the nicer spoons' in London.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/patricksmith/all-hail-to-the-ale#139002g

Some class looking places in there, to be fair.
    The converted cinema one on the Holloway Road only ever has any atmosphere on Arsenal match days tbh. Gatehouse is lovely.

I've ordered a Beamish there before and I believe they do, yes. I expect to be there later on today so I will confirm this for you as it is the hot topic right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

The converted cinema one on the Holloway Road only ever has any atmosphere on Arsenal match days tbh. Gatehouse is lovely.

The Crosse Keys is a monstrous pub - the photo in the article doesn't do it justice. In the middle of the city, so does a huge trade at lunch time, especially Friday, then dead for the weekend ( it used to close for the weekend).
    I got a tour of the cellar the last time I was there - impressive to see, and run like clockwork. 24 casks pouring, with another 24 venting, and loads others sorted in to style etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

What? Jesus, precious much? It's been a few years since I was behind a bar, but I could easily ready 4, 5, 6 orders at the same time. If you want a vodka and coke and a pint, she wants a vodka and coke, and he wants a pint, and he wants a pint, why not maximise your work, and minimise waiting time for all?

+1 That's precisely the skill level that I suspect the staff in the TTT will never rise to.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

dub_skav wrote: »
    It hasn't been an apprenticeship for many many years.
    I was a barman for years and I believe the level of barstaff has plummeted in the last 15 or so years.
    The "proper bartending" you lay out above is probably practiced by some of the barmen in 1 in 5 pubs these days.
    It's a shame really as it used to be one of the things we did significantly better than anywhere else in the world.

So, while the barstaff in Wetherspoons might not be very good, they are most certainly not alone in that.

Not in the trade but would totally agree with this; but I'm at least hopeful that the JDW beer husbandry policy will be adhered to over here.

So many pubs over here serve draught beer in very bad condition; does anyone know how the Guinness quality team operate? They don't appear to visit every pub, or if they do then are having more of an effect in some than others.

Chelon wrote: »
    So many pubs over here serve draught beer in very bad condition; does anyone know how the Guinness quality team operate? They don't appear to visit every pub, or if they do then are having more of an effect in some than others.

The "Guinness Quality Team" is just a fancy term for line cleaners. They go to every pub periodically and do the exact same job in each one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Do any out and out craft pubs do two part pours?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

adamski8 wrote: »
    Do any out and out craft pubs do two part pours?

How many of their products are served on nitro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

BaZmO* wrote: »
    How many of their products are served on nitro?

I think ive seen a few. I remember one doing a side by side nitro v co2 with brus stout one time. Don't recall a two parter.

They do not do the two-pour pint! At least not at 10pm on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I think the Porterhouse do the 2-pour on their Red Ale.

Tried a couple of the cask ales earlier. The Freak of Nature DIPA is quite poor. Very harsh on the aftertaste. There were two Aussie ales - one golden, another 'bitter' - on cask and both were grand - totally inoffensive. An Irish cask might have been nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

irish_goat wrote: »
    The "Guinness Quality Team" is just a fancy term for line cleaners. They go to every pub periodically and do the exact same job in each one.

Every pub, really? I suspected that maybe pubs had to pay to get them in but perhaps not. In that case the pubs must be doing something seriously wrong.

In any case why would a pub need to get someone in to clean their lines? Like a restaurant hiring someone in to wash the dishes. Also found this which is helpful:-

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054972732&page=17

Advertisement