Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

Will they call my bluff and try cancel me straight away, or do they always start sweet-talking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,301 ✭✭✭✭muffler

robocode wrote: »
    So what's the best tactic, ring and ask for a discount (been with them over 2 years paying 72.50/month for Original with Sports HD. Or should I ring and ask to cancel?
    Im paying €32.50 for that...no HD though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,064 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Will they call my bluff and try cancel me straight away, or do they always start sweet-talking?

oh they wont just let you cancel
    be prepared for at least 20 mins on the phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

they wont let you cancel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

donegal. wrote: »
    they wont let you cancel.

They will. I cancelling with them only two weeks ago and went with broadband only from UPC. Bought a android tv box and tbh will never pay for tv subs again. Sky are losing customers hand over foot because of their greed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

So they offered me a reduction from €72.50/month to €52.50/month. I told them I wouldn't take it, and had to rush off so couldn't talk more. I'll ring them again this evening to see if I can do better, if not I might cancel after all. If they could give that reduction and maybe throw in free multiscreen I'd take their hand off though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

So they offered me a reduction from €72.50/month to €52.50/month. I told them I wouldn't take it, and had to rush off so couldn't talk more. I'll ring them again this evening to see if I can do better, if not I might cancel after all. If they could give that reduction and maybe throw in free multiscreen I'd take their hand off though

check out these offers https://switcher.ie/broadband/compare/digital-tv/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

I rang yesterday to cancel as my current 1/2 price deal ends next month. Went through the usual routine of the chat about what we watch etc. Then i'm put on hold while he scratches himself and comes back with a 20% off offer for 10 months. I told him i didn't want it as with netflix, terrestrial and I'm fairly well covered.
    Then the bit that annoys me, he claims that i wont be able to access the free to air channels using the satellite tuner that's inbuilt in my TV as the brits will be blocking the service to non freesat receivers. I told him ill take my chances with that one, what a chancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I rang yesterday to cancel as my current 1/2 price deal ends next month. Went through the usual routine of the chat about what we watch etc. Then i'm put on hold while he scratches himself and comes back with a 20% off offer for 10 months. I told him i didn't want it as with netflix, terrestrial and I'm fairly well covered.
    Then the bit that annoys me, he claims that i wont be able to access the free to air channels using the satellite tuner that's inbuilt in my TV as the brits will be blocking the service to non freesat receivers. I told him ill take my chances with that one, what a chancer.

Did you go ahead and cancel?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭PCDub

Same here, cancelled last week and the arguments they use so you don't cancel are laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Latest call to come back,2 months free followed by 10 months half price,they know lots will be cancelling packages or cutting them back now the football is ending for the Summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

zerks wrote: »
    Latest call to come back,2 months free followed by 10 months half price,they know lots will be cancelling packages or cutting them back now the football is ending for the Summer.

Have you been long cut off? My deal ends this month and I'm going to try for another deal during the week. I think I might have stupidly entered into a contract but there can't be too much time left on it.

jca wrote: »
    Did you go ahead and cancel?

Yes i told him to knock me off. What i didnt tell him was that i can use one of my parents sky go accounts which has everything but the movies, and my LG tv has a now TV app for which i have 3 months of movie vouchers to be activated, so i have all the bases covered as my TV also has both saorview and satellite tuners.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭peking97

and my LG tv has a now TV app for which i have 3 months of movie vouchers to be activated, so i have all the bases covered as my TV also has both saorview and satellite tuners.
    Can you give me a little more info on this please?
    I've an LG32LB580V-ZM but it doesn't have the Now TV app although it has both satellite and saorview capability. Which LG model have you got?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

to get the now tv app you'll have to change the the tv's country setting to uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Hi. Am looking to upgrade, I currently have movies , sports and HD and the price has gone back to approx 100 from a discounted 71. I am now looking for fibre broadband, home phone and 2 hd multiroom boxes. UPC can do this for 130, Sky offered me 150 for 6 months, rising to 160 after 9 months, then 170 after 12 months. I don't particularly want UPC over Sky but if they don't get closer to the 130 I'm going to have to. I have not spoken to cancellations yet. Am I likely to get any more off? I've been with Sky for 10+ years.

peking97 wrote: »
    Can you give me a little more info on this please?
    I've an LG32LB580V-ZM but it doesn't have the Now TV app although it has both satellite and saorview capability. Which LG model have you got?

That's the one I have. As Donegal said, just change your settings to the uk and go back to your smart smart tv home page and the app should be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Heard a friend who only watches the football was able to cancel the other sports channels and only keep news SS1 and SS5 as these are the ones the football is on! Anyone else heard of them offering this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭LarryMac

Heard a friend who only watches the football was able to cancel the other sports channels and only keep news SS1 and SS5 as these are the ones the football is on! Anyone else heard of them offering this?

I was on that deal for a year. Before SS5 was out so had SS1 only. If I wanted to watch football on SS2 I had to ring up and request them to switch it over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

My Sky is due to be cut off anyday now. I purchased this deal and called up Sky and said can we stop the messing, if you don't give me half price I'll just join back up in my wife's name with the voucher and get it that way. They said I was free to do that. The attitude has totally changed. It's more about the numbers joining than the numbers leaving. I refuse to pay more than half price as my apartment only has one cable piped into it so I can't watch and record at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Just got a phone call from $ky in Cork there, first one in a while. I was offered half price for a year with the first two months free which, had they offered that when I was in my cancellation period, I probably would have taken. Now though, I've realised I can live without $ky quite easily, so I said no.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭daddy_boy

gave up sky two years ago and bought a freesat recorder and a soarview recorder - best thing i did, dont miss it at all , especially the cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I was offered that as well when trying to leave.
    He asked me what I watched and then kept knocking off stations to get the cost down. Ended up told him not to bother any more and cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Iamhere

Its €25 for SS1and SS5

Has anybody used the Groupon deal successfully? I'm just wondering how to go about it. The "fine print" on the deal itself isn't exactly helpful...

Using your Groupon: Go to BSkyB, copy
    and paste your Groupon into the required field and pay postage. Place your order before 7 Jun 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

also can u just get varietty or do u have get sports

Has anybody used the Groupon deal successfully? I'm just wondering how to go about it. The "fine print" on the deal itself isn't exactly helpful...

Using your Groupon: Go to BSkyB, copy
    and paste your Groupon into the required field and pay postage. Place your order before 7 Jun 15.
    From reading previous posts quite a few people have signed up to it. The only issue some of them had was the refund of the €9 paid but I believe that has been sorted.

GY A1 wrote: »
    also can u just get varietty or do u have get sports
    Its the variety pack that you have to sign up for in order to take up the offer.

Just for the benefit of anyone else here's the main T & C's of the offer:
    Offer valid for new Sky customers only. Customers must purchase The Variety Bundle, Sky HD and Sky Sports or Sky Movies to qualify for the offer. After 12 months the price goes back to the standard rate (currently up to €117 per month). A one off Advance Fee of €10 will be deducted from your initial order and will be credited back on your first two months bill. The ongoing cost for the duration of this offer will be from €38 to €56 a month. Subscription fees apply.

Oh, and there was some confusion also regarding the last Groupon offer. Someone wanted to know if they could downgrade (get rid of Sports or Movies) without penalty and there was all sorts of contradictions posted by Sky staff but thankfully it all worked out well in the end.

Have a read at this thread in the Sky Talk To forum and all will be revealed :)

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    From reading previous posts quite a few people have signed up

Cheers - would anybody out there know if I have to call up or go via there website etc?

Advertisement