Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Argentina for £275 Return [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

DoctorDre wrote: »
    I'm so amazed that I created this thread, not even expecting a response and it may be the reason that some of you have gone to Argentina :eek: Love coming to read what everyone has to say about it :)

It's definitely the reason I'm here. Heading home tomorrow, well, I'll get there Tuesday evening. Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 wexchippy

Really jealous missed the deal by a couple of days. Really love Buenos Aires. Best beef in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭walshy_c

johnnykilo wrote: »
    I'm with Tesco Mobile and I have coverage through Movistar here, so I reckon you should be OK.

Bring euros! I got 13.1 on Florida last week. The Euro is so weak against the dollar it's not worth changing euros to dollars and then into pesos.

My Spanish is pretty non-existent and no one apart from tour guides and airline staff speak English, you can just about get by, by pointing etc... but I'd recommend anyone coming to at least try and learn the basics as it will make things a whole lot easier.
    Is bringing Euro to change over there ok? Do most of the dealers accept Euro or would I have to go searching for someone that takes Euro? Would it be easier to just stick to US dollars?

Anyone go to the football museums at either River or Boca? If so, is there one you would recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

I didn't have any issues changing Euros anyway, any of the guys I approached said they'd take Euros and as I said by the time you change into Dollars and then into Pesos you're not making much of a saving. Typically you were getting about 12 Pesos to the Dollar or 13 Pesos to the Euro while I was there.

We went to the Boca Juniors museum. It was OK, small museum and stadium tour. The Stadium part was pretty interesting. If you are going to the Boca Stadium from downtown best to take a taxi. The area it's in is fine, however the area between downtown and Boca (Constitución, south of Avenue 25th de Mayo) isn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Another thanks to the OP, we're just back from our 15 day trip. It was amazing. Got to see and experience so much.

Days 1-4 BA - included in that are a BA bikes tour of south BA inc. Boca stadium and the La Boca area. Did a closed door restaurant too (Casa Felix - amazing).
    Days 5,6 - Iguazú. Stayed in a lovely hotel - Posada del Jacaranda. One full day of the Falls - Arg side. Breathtaking.
    Day 6,7,8 - bus to Salta + 2 nights there. Love Salta. Nice buzz in town, decent cafés. Hired a car to do Purmamarca and the Salinas Grandes. Well worth the long spin.
    Day 8 - 14 Mendoza. Including Siete Fuegos restaurant in Tunuyan. Good, nit great for the price imo. Martin's bike tour of the wineries. A full day trip but half a day might have been as good, we were tired at the 3rd one. The wineries are class, you really get a good insight into the whole process. Also had a car for 2 days, visited wineries ourselves and took a spin to Aconcagua and the Cristo del Redentor statue on the Arg / Chile border. This might have been my highlight of the whole trip, the scenery here is immensely beautiful. The dirt track up to Cristo is as hairy as it gets but worth it. Mendoza is a great town too, full of great food spots and the wine goes without saying. I suspect the wineries themselves don't pose as great a bargain as you might imagine. Cheapest bottles run at ~60 pesos, whereas in the shops you can get drinkable stuff for 25. Something to keep in mind, at least. If you're near a big vinoteca, maybe check out their prices before hitting up the corresponding wineries.

Brought home 24 bottles of wine, only 1 (cheap one) smashed en route. Result!

Tips.
    - We flew everywhere apart from Iguazú - Salta. Worth it if you can afford it. We spent an hour in with LAN in MDZ as the site was quoting us €155 but no processing the sale. We got this price in the end, so worth persisting with them. Don't buy any "foreigner price ticket" bs they can sometimes give you. We weren't impressed with the bus. Terrible food, bumpy roads, at least for that stretch. Mightn't be as bad if you were doing Mendoza - BA, for example.
    - Airbnb. Always my preference, you struggle to get a decent breakfast unless you're splashing out on an expensive hotel. I find it's a less sterile experience too.
    - Cash. Bring lots. Our ATM cards wouldn't work in the airport, with the result that we spent the last ~4 days living via credit card. That'll end up costing us ~30+% more when I get the credit card statement, I imagine.

A trip that'll live long in the memory, thanks to posters here for the tips along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Ruxjit

I'm looking to go over to SE Asia around September or Octorber. I wonder what would happen if you didn't come home on your return flight? Would there by a penalty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭islanderre

I came back on Thursday last having spect twoweeks in S. America thanks to this great Bargain Alert.

Arrived in Buenos Aires direct from Frankfurt and checked into the Hotel in Palermo...... with a heads up from the guy on the hotel desk; I headed down to a money exchange and got my Euro changed over. Straight back to the hotel then and had a few hours kip followed by exploring the general area.

Following day took to the subway and went into the main centre of B.A for a look around.

Flew to Peru then on Saturday for 8 days to do lima, Cuszo aand Machu Picchu. Great time had but would of liked another day or two in Cusco....

Got back to B.A last weekend and spent the rest of the stay doing the usual tourist things like the cementary where Evita and allot of folk with Irish connections are buried, also went on a day trip to a ranch about an hour or so north of B.A...... was a good laugh and glad I done it.

Would deffo like to go back but would really make a holiday there easier with someone who speaks / understands Spanish. The argentinians are great people overall but having a few words in spanish would be great. Think next time will head to the falls and also south to see the glaciers.

Thanks to the OP for posting the link in the first place and to all who posted tips and recommendations.

Islanderre

P.S: I have slightly over €200 worth of Peso if anyone would like to exchange...... I'm based close to Galway if anyone is interested PM me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Which areas in BA are to go to areas? My hotel is near Florida St / Ave 9 de Julio.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DylanK

Hey all,

Anyone who has gone to BA and back, where did you buy Peso from? I'm going over in a few weeks but cant find a local bank or currency exchange that stock Peso. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭notuslimited

No bank's or FX Bureau de Change stock pesos because the risk of a devaluation is very high. You can always try Islanderre (see above post) or just wait till you get down there. I had no pesos when I arrived, I put my airport transfer on my Credit Card and when I checked into my hotel the guy behind the desk offered to exchange dollars and euros for pesos. If the hotel won't do it you will have no bother changing money on Calle Florida.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DylanK

No bank's or FX Bureau de Change stock pesos because the risk of a devaluation is very high. You can always try Islanderre (see above post) or just wait till you get down there. I had no pesos when I arrived, I put my airport transfer on my Credit Card and when I checked into my hotel the guy behind the desk offered to exchange dollars and euros for pesos. If the hotel won't do it you will have no bother changing money on Calle Florida.

Cheers for reply! I still need a bit of Peso to take the bus from airport to town tho. Might just change 20euro for a sh*tty rate at the airport and change the rest in town/hotel.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Which areas in BA are to go to areas? My hotel is near Florida St / Ave 9 de Julio.

El Tigre, this can be done in half/full day, its amazing and the area around it is very interesting. Do a day bus tour, it brings you around the good areas (Tango quarter, Puerto Madero is lovely on a good day and busy on a Sunday too, and Recoleta are my personal recommendations).

Nighttime wise there's an active nightlife just a few blocks down from Florida St towards the river. Area is generally safe and well policed. Only area I recommend staying away from is Retiro area. Just use it for transportation and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Ruxjit

I'm not so sure, I have heard of no show charges being issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

DylanK wrote: »
    Cheers for reply! I still need a bit of Peso to take the bus from airport to town tho. Might just change 20euro for a sh*tty rate at the airport and change the rest in town/hotel.

There's a booth in the airport where you pay up front, they accept U.S. Dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 C2911

For those of you who are interested, and this isn't quite as good a deal as this one was, I've just booked flights to Japan in October for £360 with Turkish Airlines, which seems like a great deal. I've just put the same dates for Dublin into Kayak and they're coming up at £350 return to Tokyo.

Hong Kong and Singapore are also showing up at those prices.

Just in case anyone fancies the far east.

C2911 wrote: »
    For those of you who are interested, and this isn't quite as good a deal as this one was, I've just booked flights to Japan in October for £360 with Turkish Airlines, which seems like a great deal. I've just put the same dates for Dublin into Kayak and they're coming up at £350 return to Tokyo.

Hong Kong and Singapore are also showing up at those prices.

Just in case anyone fancies the far east.

What dates in October did you put in? Cheapest I'm getting is around £650 on Kayak.

johnnykilo wrote: »
    What dates in October did you put in? Cheapest I'm getting is around £650 on Kayak.

I'm going from the 16th until the 27th.

http://www.kayak.co.uk/flights/DUB-TYO/2015-10-16/2015-10-27

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Del007

I got flights to Hong Kong for November for 290 euro. I booked it a few months back, there should be a thread on here somewhere about it

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭walshy_c

Does anyone have any peso's left that they brought back to Ireland that they want to rid off? I need around €300 worth to cover a taxi and accommodation for when I first arrive. Give me a PM if you have some to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭mosstin

walshy_c wrote: »
    Does anyone have any peso's left that they brought back to Ireland that they want to rid off? I need around €300 worth to cover a taxi and accommodation for when I first arrive. Give me a PM if you have some to sell.

Jesus, that's my budget for the first ten days!

walshy_c wrote: »

I'd say you'd be lucky to find anyone with that many Pesos here. There's a Taxi place called TaxiEzezia who will take dollars (and I presume euros) just after you walk out of arrivals at the airport. It's $40 to the City Centre (and $50 if you take a normal/radio taxi).

There is a bank at the airport but I waited 20 minutes to try and change money and not one person in the ****ing massive queue had moved in those 20 minutes.

Depending on where you're staying I reckon they'd take euros or dollars as payment, you won't get as good a rate as on Florida but it will get you out of a hole. Pretty much anyone (including businesses large and small) I encountered in the 2 weeks I was there was happy to take payment in dollars/euros. Why wouldn't they? They charge you a slightly worse rate than less than they'd get in Florida so they make more money.

Did anyone see a show at the Teatro Colón? Just purchased a ticket there to see the Philharmonic. The theater looks amazing!!

Only cost €36 (assuming the currency on their website is in pesos!!! That dollar sign is frightening, I really hope I didn't just pay $360!!! :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭lulzordan

Only cost €36 (assuming the currency on their website is in pesos!!! That dollar sign is frightening, I really hope I didn't just pay $360!!! )

Was the website in Spanish? They use the same symbol for the Argentine peso ($). It's usually U$S/US$ when talking about USD

lulzordan wrote: »
    Was the website in Spanish? They use the same symbol for the Argentine peso ($). It's usually U$S/US$ when talking about USD
    Yeah it was Spanish, I never once considered I was paying in USD until I received the confirmation email, then I just had a moment of panic. :D But it's all good!

Regarding currency actually, azimo seems to offer rates very close to the blue dollar rate. Would it be better to go with Azimo over visiting a cueva? On the one hand I'd be nervous about collecting from Azimo with my non-existent Spanish, but then I'd be worried about getting ripped off from a cueva too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Yeah it was Spanish, I never once considered I was paying in USD until I received the confirmation email, then I just had a moment of panic. :D But it's all good!

Regarding currency actually, azimo seems to offer rates very close to the blue dollar rate. Would it be better to go with Azimo over visiting a cueva? On the one hand I'd be nervous about collecting from Azimo with my non-existent Spanish, but then I'd be worried about getting ripped off from a cueva too.

Azimo was perfect for me, solo traveller no spanish, over the counter transaction in a safe environment. Would do again. Just hand them the form and straight forward apart from a few weird questions about purpose of my trip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

The money conversion seems to be a hard to balance thing. Not getting too much pesos.

Just wondering, what kind of ball park figures are people bringing? I know it depends on what you're doing etc, but for anyone that has gone a rough idea of how much?
    1000 on azimo works out at 12,000 pesos. A months Argentinian average wage. Presumably this won't go too far doing tourist exploration.

Advertisement