Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Stores banning Animal charities...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Dunnes have very long waiting lists for bag packing, they have to prioritise somehow.

IMO, humans take priority over animals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

hardCopy wrote: »
    Dunnes have very long waiting lists for bag packing, they have to prioritise somehow.

IMO, humans take priority over animals.

Animals take priority over humans. **** humans. Animals are so vulnerable amount of animals abused, dumped , there's not family's willing to take animals. Animals need all the help people are willing to give them.

They don't have a voice.
    They can't stand up for themselfs
    The shelters need money to survive

A dog or cat won't dump you. Abuse you, rob you, deceive you. All they want is food love and shelter. Easy life

Give animals money

Boycott dunnes

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Rory1

What harm does it have on you. They need all the money they can get so I give then a bit when I see them. And I also give private €20 a month

There are too many of them in it. I just get fed up every time I go to a shop being felt that I have to donate. I prefer to do it online, at home in private.

Big C wrote: »
    Asked Dunnes for a donation for local hospital, they delivered 120 easter eggs
    Thank you
    Aldi, Lidl dont allow any collections ?

Also and Lidl do. Have done it in the past they are so nice

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Animals take priority over humans. **** humans. Animals are so vulnerable amount of animals abused, dumped , there's not family's willing to take animals. Animals need all the help people are willing to give them.

They don't have a voice.

A dog or cat won't dump you. Abuse you, rob you, deceive you. All they want is food love and shelter. Easy life

Give animals money

Boycott dunnes

Ah, I see now. Your 8.

• Advertisement

Ah, I see now. Your 8.

Eh no 17
    I just realise the lack of support for animal charities like alot of these uneducated muppets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

They don't have a voice.

Give animals money

Boycott dunnes

Sharks can stand up for themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Eh no 17
    I just realise the lack of support for animal charities like alot of these u educated muppets.

What? Insulting people by calling them educated. That is a new one.

Out of curiosity, are you going to avoid all shops that don't have animal charities there? Most supermarkets don't allow any collections at all.

I agree with the policy that it is local charities or groups that are allowed. It benefits the locality.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Animals take priority over humans. **** humans.
    Don't ever set foot in dunnes so, if you think this animal charity scandal is bad wait till you see what they have in the back, they call it "the butchers counter", I nearly fainted when I saw what they get up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

Dunnes have not just banned animal charities they also do not allow any organisation that sends money abroad to bag pack. I have to say I am in agreement with them. They are more community focused and human charities are more in need imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

I would'nt lose a nights sleep if Dunnes banned all collectors from their precincts. You cannot go into a store without being accosted by a collector. They're like bloody parasites:(
    sandin wrote: »
    pity they don't have charity free checkouts in all dunnes. I despise charity packers, they don't know what to pack in what bag and then take offence when you say no
    daveyeh wrote: »
    I hate the sight of them. Squashed bread, broken eggs, etc. Useless.

BAN THEM ALL!!
    What a bunch of miserable tightarses! Most bag packers I have seen are young kids.Regardless of age they are giving their time up for a good cause.You or someone you love may have Cancer or whatever they are collecting for some day.Throwing a few quid into their bucket is hardly going to break the bank.If you don't want them to pack,do it yourself and give them something anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Fair play to Dunnes.
    Fockers have their hands out wherever you go in this country.

repsol wrote: »
    What a bunch of miserable tightarses! Most bag packers I have seen are young kids.Regardless of age they are giving their time up for a good cause.You or someone you love may have Cancer or whatever they are collecting for some day.Throwing a few quid into their bucket is hardly going to break the bank.If you don't want them to pack,do it yourself and give them something anyway.

If I wanted my food mashed to bits I've a 1 year old of my own that loves to stand on the bread if you don't put it away quick enough.

I go to the bother of doing my own shopping, which I then get the pleasure of paying for . I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to be able to take it home unmolested.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

If I wanted my food mashed to bits I've a 1 year old of my own that loves to stand on the bread if you don't put it away quick enough.

I go to the bother of doing my own shopping, which I then get the pleasure of paying for . I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to be able to take it home unmolested.

Asking you to throw 50 cent in a bucket from your change is hardly molestation.In 14 years time when your 1 year old is 15 and they are packing bags for their school or football team,you would like others to be nice to them and not treat them disrespectfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Can I ask why this is a consumer issue? I'm a consumer, whether the bag packers are from an animal charity, a third world charity or a local cause in no way affects my consumer rights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Well Dunnes, thank for letting me know. I'd understand banning big multinational charities - they have plenty of channels - but eliminating even local ones on the basis of some arbitrary criteria is silly. So animals are not allowed? Are the elderly allowed? SARI? Asthma? Do they flip a coin or what?

repsol wrote: »
    Asking you to throw 50 cent in a bucket from your change is hardly molestation.In 14 years time when your 1 year old is 15 and they are packing bags for their school or football team,you would like others to be nice to them and not treat them disrespectfully.

I specifically said I've no issue with a bucket being left on the end of the till.

I don't want anyone packing my bags though. It's quite clear from my post I referred to my food being damaged as molestation.
    mhge wrote: »
    Well Dunnes, thank for letting me know. I'd understand banning big multinational charities - they have plenty of channels - but eliminating even local ones on the basis of some arbitrary criteria is silly. So animals are not allowed? Are the elderly allowed? SARI? Asthma? Do they flip a coin or what?

Their reasons are irrelevant. They are a private company and don't have to justify their decisions to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

Typical Joe Duffy Show, picking up on stories that will cause a sensation. IMHO, this is a non-event. What Joe Duffy has done here, is make things more difficult for an irish owned company over something which really doesn't matter. Dunnes are totally within their rights to decide what kind of charities, if any, they support.

It's also another example of the sense of entitlement that a lot of people in this country have. BULL CRAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Their reasons are irrelevant. They are a private company and don't have to justify their decisions to anyone.

Oh absolutely. It's just good to know for me as a private consumer.
    I support local charities and I appreciate having their tables or collectors in our local shopping centre, they usually get a few coins from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

**** humans.
    You do realise that you have, in essence, told yourself to go fcuk yourself?

=-=

Have gone into Superquinn, and left when I see the bag packers. It's usually people who can't pack your bags, or put the raw meat with the bread, and the heavy bag of sugar on top of the eggs, etc.

If Tescos are doing a local GAA team, etc, I'll give them money not to pack my bag :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Are shoppers so brain-dead from the ordeal of shopping that they are incapable of telling these many bag-packers they are not required?

In Dunnes if a shopper mentions they don't want their bags packed the packers who must be at least 14 and will all have undergone training must step back away from the till until that person is finished.

What is wrong with people having some manners and asking for what they want or telling the packers they are not required?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Are shoppers so brain-dead from the ordeal of shopping that they are incapable of telling these many bag-packers they are not required?

In Dunnes if a shopper mentions they don't want their bags packed the packers who must be at least 14 and will all have undergone training must step back away from the till until that person is finished.

What is wrong with people having some manners and asking for what they want or telling the packers they are not required?

I find nothing more uncomfortable than having to tell someone I dont want them to pack my bag/box, because it is verbally embarrassing them and myself by saying "I will not be giving you money". Now those callous and well-trained (and well-paid) folks that stand outside with clipboards are another story. I've told them where to go on many occasion, even ran out onto the road screaming for help when one insisted on following me! :confused:
    They seem to be very adament that no matter how much money you have, you are more than capable of affording a donation, but they're quick to let you pass when you ask them if they have a direct debit of their own set up :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

At least 50% of my local Dunnes' "charities" are sports clubs collecting for their next day trip. Given the choice, I'd gladly choose to contribute to saving an animal's life every day of the week. These groups have very few places to turn regarding funding.

To the people who are losing the plot about bag packers' skills, there's no law stopping you from answering "no thanks" to the "would you like help packing your bags?" question and still contributing whatever amount you want to the charity if you so wish.

If people can't afford it then that's fair enough but trying to use the "the bag packers are rubbish" as an excuse to not support a charity is just plain meanness pure and simple. Shame on you.

Ah, I see now. Your 8.
    If you're going to insult someone might I suggest a dictionary as your first port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

foggy_lad wrote: »

Completely agree. I was bag packing recently for an animal charity in Clare and a handful of people said they wanted to pack their own, one or two were a little gruff but they fired their 30 cent to a euro (some threw in fivers and tenners).

If you don't like me touching your food, no problem. If you don't want to throw your change in the bucket, that's even less of a problem, so where's the problem?

I don't agree with bag packers and flag sellers being compared to chuggers. There's a great difference between someone holding a bucket of change and someone actually obstructing you in the street, asking about your drinking habits and making a percentage. At least bag packers give you friendly conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I dont want stray animals packing my bags

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Just looking back on some of the comments here I'm amazed at some of the shortsightedness of people in saying people come before animals. I volunteer for an animal charity and I agree to a certain extent but while people are mistreating and abandoning animals I consider animal rescue a people issue, not an animal one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Folks - I agree with a previous poster. I don't see this as a Consumer Issue, so therefore I am moving to the Humanities forum

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

MyKeyG wrote: »

I don't agree with bag packers and flag sellers being compared to chuggers..
    My definition of being 'chugged' is any situation where you are directly faced with someone asking for money which you didn't intend to be in. The word is connected with those people stopping you on the street but that's my understanding of it.

Its not a question of what charity it is or if they are local or friendly or whatever. I'm just sick of being asked or put in the situation where you have to say no or ignore someone. Im perfectly capable of asking the sales assistant to put my change in the 'box' after a sale or donating to something of my own accord.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Waking-Dreams

As someone who has also done bag-packing for a voluntary organisation (suicide prevention) on a few occasions, you can really notice the different psychologies of consumers who clearly don’t like being put in a situation where they might feel judged because they don’t donate or accept help.

Look, there’s tons of charities out there and no one person can donate to them all, so I wouldn’t feel that bad about passing people on the street or declining with a “no thanks”. But to wish for a removal of these people totally, just to ease your conscience or save you some kind of subjective social awkwardness is a bit lame. I guess people don’t want to have to think about it.

That said, Dunnes is entitled to enforce whatever rules they want.

Advertisement