Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Stores banning Animal charities...

Options
  • 15-01-2013 3:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭

According to a caller to "Liveline" today, charities collecting for Animals are banned from both inside and outside their stores. If that is the case I will "ban" myself from shopping there and take my business somewhere else... As someone who goes out of his way to shop at Dunnes because they are an Irish company I feel ashamed...Supervalue here I come!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Why are they being banned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Just done a google search for this and the first 15 returns are all facebook petitions from different animal welfare charities trying to get Dunnes to reverse the policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Its not just animal charities, Concern were mentioned in the banned list and another non animal charity. To be fair to Dunnes they don't have to let people do collections, its a service they offer. Obviously there is a reason why they have decided to limit who they allow to collect in store. It will be interesting to hear from Dunnes why they have targeted these particular charities and not others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

It seems they are only allowing local charities and those which help people rather than animals which in these times is probably the right way to go, local shops for local people!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

Aren't people sick of being chugged though? In the street, at your door and in the shops. There is only so many times you can avoid the stares of bagpackers until you decide to shop somewhere else.

I had two charity direct debits until recently, one for €15 monthly to a well known dogs charity, I cancelled it after I seen their new fleet of 2012 cars parading around the place. The other goes to a charity where the 'CEO' doesn't earn an obscene amount of money.

• Advertisement

Give to local charities instead of multi-national fundraising businesses like Concern, Goal, Gorta, Irish cancer society, blind/deaf charities etc basically anyone selling lines or looking for your direct debit on the street is a paid collecter and very little of what you give goes to those in need.

Local charities would include the St Vincent de Paul, local district hospitals have cancer care nurses who will accept donations for providing at home care for people in the locality, local sports teams, local family resource centres, etc etc most of these very deserving charities are staffed by volunteers and most of what is collected is spent in your locality.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

yeah a tad short sighted there op with the reactions, happily give to local charities, and i'm sick of it being shoved in my face as it is anyway, less the better

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I would'nt lose a nights sleep if Dunnes banned all collectors from their precincts. You cannot go into a store without being accosted by a collector. They're like bloody parasites:(

I usually give a donation to the collectors for the ASH? shelter in Wicklow who are regularly collecting around Carlow town as they are volunteers and working for a good cause but I would never support the animal charities which are basically businesses and i feel dunnes have made the right decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Long and the short of it - it is Dunnes' premises and they can choose who they allow to collect on their premises. Some companies don't allow any charities at all. Basically it is up to you to shop there of not. However, if you do decide not to shop there anymore on the foot of this decision, then at least take the time to write them a letter and let them know why.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

pity they don't have charity free checkouts in all dunnes. I despise charity packers, they don't know what to pack in what bag and then take offence when you say no.

As for only having local charites - that's a good move as you are part of the local area and if you are to help anyone, then local charities are best

• Registered Users Posts: 27 blurch

There are two animal charities I support and feel they do sterling work on little money, Ash and Dogs in Distress, It is a shame that they would be banned from collecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

sandin wrote: »
    pity they don't have charity free checkouts in all dunnes. I despise charity packers, they don't know what to pack in what bag and then take offence when you say no.

I hate the sight of them. Squashed bread, broken eggs, etc. Useless.

BAN THEM ALL!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Rocky Bay

blurch wrote: »
    There are two animal charities I support and feel they do sterling work on little money, Ash and Dogs in Distress, It is a shame that they would be banned from collecting.
    Who is "ASH"?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Rocky Bay wrote: »
    Supervalue here I come!
    Could be cutting off your nose to spite your face there. Supervalu is usually more expensive, with the savings you make you could donate to your animal charity online without having to get them to spend time going out collecting.
    dudara wrote: »
    Some companies don't allow any charities at all.
    Most don't, so loads of companies to boycott!, I am sure charity people would love to be let into burger king or mcdonalds.

Or maybe it is just the distinction about animal charities. I would object more about some of them who are just collecting to go on holidays with a club, rather than it being for a charity. I expect many donators wrongly think these chancers are charity collectors. And when they are genuine charities the guy collecting might be raking it in commission wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

I'm glad Dunnes have taken this stance, Every knock on the door at night is someone looking for money.. go to shops some back-packer is waiting on a till for you to "assist" you...Would be nice not to have to constantly put my hand in my pocket for sh1t like this...

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭springer111

I'm glad Dunnes have taken this stance, Every knock on the door at night is someone looking for money.. go to shops some back-packer is waiting on a till for you to "assist" you...Would be nice not to have to constantly put my hand in my pocket for sh1t like this...

That's a fair enough point. I wouldn't be fan of it myself. Charities have to do it though to survive. But I totally disagree with banning just animal rescues charities. Are they any less deserving than other charities ???

I don't think so. They are nearly all voluntary and get no government funding after all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Without sounding too frugal, the charity I am most concerned about funding at the minute is myself and mine. I can barely get from week to week at the minute, without donating money to other charities. I've been borderline harrassed on the street and outside the GPO by people who called me selfish for wanting to keep my €20 a month to go towards my phone bill! If people want to help, they can go source ways to help. Harrassing people gets you nowhere. I'll cross the street to avoid them now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Rocky Bay wrote: »
    Who is "ASH"?

Ash Animal Rescue

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I fupping hate bag packers in supermarkets. I'm very fussy about what goes in to which bag . I actively avoid tills with packers on them. I wish they were all banned. They can just leave the bucket on the end of the till and I'll put money in it if I have spare change and I like who its for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carpejugulum

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Give to local charities instead of multi-national fundraising businesses like Concern ... very little of what you give goes to those in need.
    You are lying.
    how-money-is-spent-inner-2011.png

You are lying.
    how-money-is-spent-inner-2011.png
    Buy a line for €3 and at least €1 goes immediately to the seller and more then goes to suoervisors and orgnisors at local and regional and national levels, at the end of it all about 10% goes to helping the people who are being used to advertise these charity businesses

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Rory1

This is reason for me to shop in dunnes rather than walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭roroliam

Won't let you collect for the animals, But happy to put them in the Burgers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

Not shopping in dunnes until its reversed. Hope they go bust the *****.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'm going to spend extra there to make up your shortfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Rory1

Why? If you want to give to charity - go online or write them a cheque.

Why do I and others have to look at you giving to charity? Why does it have to be in public, why not private?

I'm going to spend extra there to make up your shortfall.

Fine less money in your pocket then

Rory1 wrote: »

Why? If you want to give to charity - go online or write them a cheque.

Why do I and others have to look at you giving to charity? Why does it have to be in public, why not private?

What harm does it have on you. They need all the money they can get so I give then a bit when I see them. And I also give private €20 a month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

Asked Dunnes for a donation for local hospital, they delivered 120 easter eggs
    Thank you
    Aldi, Lidl dont allow any collections ?

Advertisement